• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Hyunashi

I hope they will fail so hard to have to sell eidos to someone more competent.

The sad thing is I dont see them failing with respect to the mobile market, I bet it will reap in some solid profits and just make them feel like the mobile platform will be their future. This will mean just FF titles and maybe spin-offs of KH for the consoles, but no new IPs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That I figured as well, but they clearly still have at least a few primarily SP games in the works (Tomb Raider, Deus Ex)

On the Tomb Raider note at least, they seem to be increasing the multiplayer focus: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677961

They even mention "multiplayer modes and campaigns".

Crystal Dynamics said:
Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding Multiplayer Designer to work with our development team to develop a unique online experience. The Multiplayer Game Designer will develop and implement multiplayer systems from concept to completion. A successful Multiplayer Designer will be a hands on individual with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging multiplayer modes and campaigns.

-Concept, design and implement multiplayer game systems from the ground up
-Lead and manage other developers on the team. Serve as a champion for online game components at the studio.

-Work with other Designers to ensure successful integration of game play systems into the game
-Broad based understanding about what makes multiplayer levels and systems fun
-Ability to design and develop multiplayer systems design from concept to finished product
-Strong math and balancing skills
-Ability to communicate and present complex interactive/social game systems
-Experience working on multiplayer systems for highly rated (AAA) action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles

anaron

BkFoL7H.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But haven't they seen GTA5? You can still generate a boatload of money on consoles.

They started out good getting a new engine in the works... but if it's only going to be used for two major games then it's a massive waste.

I don't mind moving EVERY next Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy title to iOS as it is a great platform for turn based games and where I spent well over $60 already for Square-Enix titles.

But FUCK THEM if they turn Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman, Tomb Raided etc. into F2P ass-shit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't mind moving EVERY next Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy title to iOS as it is a great platform for turn based games and where I spent well over $60 already for Square-Enix titles.

But FUCK THEM if they turn Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman etc. into F2P ass-shit.

Oh I'm pretty sure they won't be f2p (though they will presumably have microtransactions).

KH 1.5 and FF XIV did pretty good.

Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider eventually turned profits and sold good numbers. I just don't understand their recent shift in focus to mobile and social titles but since it all started to happen after Wada's resignation, i blame the new CEO.

Yosuke Matsuda...former CFO of Square Enix, now CEO and kingpin of this new strategy. Remember his name!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
They started out good getting a new engine in the works... but if it's only going to be used for two major games then it's a massive waste.

The engine is yet to be finished and is being integrated into a game that's been in dev hell for years, so it's not even fully utilizing it really. lol. The kicker is that we're probably not going to see said game until 2015. LOL.

Bundy

Banned
Square Enix's new plan: Eidos = online games; Japan = smartphone games

Squaresoft = ~10 years ago one of the best devs/publishers in the world + my favourite devs

Today = piece of crap

benzy

So they've spent all that time building the luminous engine just to be used on 2 games. And now it's about to go the way of crystal tools. Lool

ZehDon

Gold Member
...and after they've run their franchises into the ground, they'll shed staff. And once they've shed staff, they'll close up shops. And when there are no more shops to close, they'll sell labels. And when there are no more franchises worth a damn, and there are no staff to fire, and there are no more shops to close, and no more labels to sell... they will give us our FFVII re-make. And we'll look down and whisper "No"...
RORSCHACH-lrg.gif

So long old friends...

MormaPope

Banned
Take Two should sweep up Eidos if or when shit hits the fan, I can also see Bethesda/Zenimax buying Eidos, don't know if that would be better or worse.

Coldsun

Banned
When they announced Deus Ex: HR, I was excited but skeptical.
When Square bought Eidos, I was scared but hopeful.
When I played Deus Ex: HR, I fell in love with the series all over again. It captured the magic.
The soundtrack? Burned it to a CD, listen to it pretty often. Its just so Deus Ex.

While I love FFXIV: ARR,the idea that Eidos will be forced into online games worries me. Not even a little bit of hope from me. I really wish Square would just keep a hands off approach to Eidos.

Vitor711

SE seems to have quite a few other entertainment ventures, like manga and figurines. More like Eidos kept people aware of the SE name outside of Japan/Asia if that.

Guess I should have mentioned that I meant 'critically'. Eidos has been failing to hit (terribly unrealistic) targets after all.

Grayman

Does the Eidos division even have a forte for online play? Looking through their game history I can't see too many games that were heavy online focused. Very odd business decision.
Nothing is coming to mind as a major online title from them. Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex, and Hitman did not even have online gaming. Sleeping Dogs did have a really cool friends comparison thing that popped up during the game(friends longest wheelie, combo) but no actual online.

I am not sure what studio they have doing Nosgoth but its different from anything thats come out from Squeedos so far. If that is the direction they want to go in they may restructure or sell off the western devs who were making them money last year.

Alvarez

Banned
Is anyone here really surprised? Final Fantasy XIV, an online game, got them out of the hole single-handedly--and some of you bought it twice. You the consumer have told Square that you want and will pay for online games, and so they're making more.

Do you think Blizzard will be making any offline games soon?

Oh I'm pretty sure they won't be f2p (though they will presumably have microtransactions).

In that case I do not mind :) I've Platinumed FF13-2 and never bought a single piece of DLC. They can create outfits, songs etc. as long as the base game is still a "game" and not a "F2P-like" experience.

The good side of that is Toriyama won't have anything to do with FFXVI,
it will be made by Crystal Dynamics, or IO!!

I can't wait for all these high quality ios games
that Ito is working on!!

benzy

Is anyone here really surprised? Final Fantasy XIV, an online game, got them out of the hole single-handedly--and some of you bought it twice. You the consumer have told Square that you want and will pay for online games, and so they're making more.

Do you think Blizzard will be making any offline games soon?

They were in the hole in the first place because of FFXIV. Lol

Angry Fork

What does this mean for a Deus Ex sequel? Human Revolution was awesome, one of the best games this gen. No more like it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What does this mean for a Deus Ex sequel? Human Revolution was awesome, one of the best games this gen. No more like it?

Well it will presumably have at least some kind of notable online component.

Whether that's discrete multiplayer a la Tomb Raider or otherwise I'm unsure.

RaikuHebi

Banned
You taught us how to defeat the Shinra, not become it!

We need to take down these Shinra-Enix. GAFalanche let's do this.

Top Bottom