• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

lexi

Banned
Did anyone actually fucking play Tomb Raider multiplayer? I loved the SP campaign, put about 50 hours over a couple of saves on it, never even loaded up the multiplayer.

Squire

Banned
So EVERY game Eidos make will have MP/Be Online ?!, Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, future Legacy of Kain, EVERYTHING !!

mj-laughing.gif

Ikon

It's amazing how a company that used to make such altogether magical games has been so continuously mismanaged as to wind up here.

Also, Tomb Raider was an amazing game. I don't see how they managed to fail with that kind of a product. Must have spent a lot of money on crappy marketing or something.

sleepykyo

murdered by wada.

I mean retail FF. FF online will be probably online FF after FFXV

He isn't leading Square. The former CFO is. Same thing is going to happen with EA. As bad as the old guard was, the replacements are going to make them seem like saints.

Epcott

Welp, it was nice knowing you Square.

So FFXV, KH3, and Drakengard 3 are their last traditional console games?

And does this simply mean all Eidos games will include an online component in addition to a sp experience or is sp dead in favor of mp in everything?

Polari

Well the mobile thing isn't all bad... the touch interface is actually well-suited to decent retrofits of their classics. Of course though, being Square-Enix in reality they'll be hastily emulated ports with a slapped on virtual joystick. :(

Metallix87

Well, time to start hoping again that Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest 7 Remake, Rocket Slime 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters Remake, and Dragon Quest Monsters 2 Remake come over, since they're likely to be the last non-mobile Dragon Quest games for a long while.

Fuck you, Square-Enix.

WolvenOne

Eh, they already said that they wouldn't be focusing on smartphones to the exclusion of core titles. Releasing a few extra smartphone titles per year isn't a big deal.

Assuming they're being honest, and will indeed continue releasing console titles.

Rootbeer

Banned
maybe it won't be so bad once iOS controllers start hitting the market. My biggest complaint is being forced to play entirely on the touch screen, which I loathe.

I'd rather have more PS4 games and will definitely buy FFXV and KHIII, and have already bought and enjoyed FFXIV 2.0 (both PC and PS3, soon upgrading to PS4 ver.)... i'm doing my part, square :(

I can't stand the mobile gaming experience though. I want games I can lose myself in, not games designed to be played for 10-15mins here and there, sigh. We have tons of that shit already!! Give me full game worlds and stories to enjoy.

Omega

Banned
Does the Eidos division even have a forte for online play? Looking through their game history I can't see too many games that were heavy online focused. Very odd business decision.

Their best game under SE, Tomb Raider, has a pretty meh multiplayer.

yep, odd decision.

Taker34

Banned
So is this the reason why they cancelled LoK: Dead Sun and instead continued development on that abomination called Nosgoth?! Disappointed!

sublimit

Banned
I wish Sony Japan could buy/recruit the few talented people who are left in this company (Nomura,Tabata,Nojima,Yoshida,Ito,Aoki).Hell i don't even know what the last two have been doing for the last couple of years although it's not that difficult to guess...
mobile games

dr_rus

I don't play online and I don't play on my smartphone.
Guess that's it for me for all future SE titles then.

Famassu

In before overreactions ignoring FFXV, KHIII, Bravely Default 2, Drakengard III, KH2.5HD, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Thief 4 and a lot of other upcoming non-online & non-smartphone games that Square Enix is still making and will very likely still continue making.

Oh wait, I'm already 4 pages too late (8 pages for 50-page people).

Meia

Im really impressed how SE is talking the two approach that brought down a lot of companies last gen: Making games with online integration and trusting the shaky mobile market.

I hope Level 5 and Sega Sammy acquire a lot of IPs and talent from the inevitable bankruptcy bids.

Let's see what fate befalls Atlus, which is still largely up in the air, first k? :p

It's amazing how mismanagement can take one of the brightest and best companies out there and just destroy it over time, isn't it? Worse is when like a black hole they take out neighboring companies.

Famassu

Let's see what fate befalls Atlus, which is still largely up in the air, first k? :p

It's amazing how mismanagement can take one of the brightest and best companies out there and just destroy it over time, isn't it? Worse is when like a black hole they take out neighboring companies.
How is this mismanagement? Where does it say they are not going to make a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution again? Or that Final Fantasy XV will be the last console & non-mobile FF ever? Deus Ex 4 might be more online-focused, but it could just mean it'll be more like Watch Dogs, where you can play the game online with friends (keyword being "can", not "forced to")

They are just covering all of their bases. There's obviously audience in both the online gaming market & mobile phone market, so only a stupid company would ignore that, but they've repeated time & time again they aren't abandoning developing games like FFXV & KHIII altogether.

Dream well Sleeping Dogs, my sweet prince *snif*

And some people want Iwata to go from Nintendo. People, this is what happens when you do this, investors take reigns and all goes to shit.

This is why Nintendo fans should be dreading the idea of Iwata being removed. This is fucking why.

Exactly

Famassu

I've been sticking with SE for a long time, always hoping that they could turn it around a little bit (I actually enjoyed FFXIII), but I feel like it's time to give up.

Tales of is the new FF.
Yeah, abandon Square Enix when they just fixed what many deemed unfixable with FFXIV:ARR, are developing what will probably be their most ambitious FF ever with Final Fantasy XV, are finally bringing another big franchise back to consoles with Kingdom Hearts III, are putting out great remasters with KH1.5 HD, FFX | X-2 HD, KH2.5HD and probably more in the future (FFXII HD), have returned to some more traditional non-realistic fantasy RPGs with Bravely Default and have some interesting smaller upcoming games like Murdered: Soul Suspect & Drakengard III.

Yeah, they are beyond hope. Get a grip, people. Stop with the silly knee-jerk reactions to non-news.

Mr. RHC

Am I reading this right...

after Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV... it's over with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy on home consoles?

But, did they not just establish a committee to secure the quality of Final Fantasy?

Top Bottom