• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix's Shinji Hashimoto - "Square/Nintendo" fans should watch May SE party

Chris Michael said:
Is that even possible?

I've heard that Layton has a ton of FMV including voicework, so I've set my expectations a little higher for the DS to be able to handle some of the bigger PS1-era games.

Hey, in this day and age, anything can happen... but let's just put it this way, Chris: I'll believe it when I see it. :)

TheJollyCorner said:
How would that be possible? I think people forget these games covered upwards of 4 PS1 discs each. Downgraded graphics, no FMV, and half the game cut, maybe?

For the record I don't think this will be FF related, or at least not entirely FF-centred for the Nintendo announcements.

However, FFVII-IX should be doable on a large (256/512MB card) DS card now for the following reasons:

-Better compression techniques in general
-Lower resolution FMVs required
-The games only ever used 60-70% of the CD data, and much of it was repeated
-Have you looked at any of the PSX era games lately? DS hardware (See FFIII or FFCC DS) smokes it for lunch, what with the dev teams at Square.

Come on, NFans... don't get too carried away here. I expect a XIII project for DS and a Chocobo Tales for Wii as the two 'mystery' Nintendo projects, much more on Crystal Chronicles for Wii, and more on DQIX for DS.

There will be no Chrono 3, so might as well stop with that Jesus Resurrection dream right now.

I doubt it's Chrono related either.

Parasite Eve 1&2 remakes with a spruced up battle system that takes advantage of the Wiimote with Parasite Eve 3 6-8 months later please.

jj984jj said:
Didn't Nomura say that the next Disney project will not be KH III?

I'm pretty sure it's one of those deals where it actually is another KH, but they call it something else and make it a new branch of the series. Like how Namco made Soul Edge 10 years ago and then made the Soul Caliber line of games.

I believe he said that the next project of his team wasn't Kingdom Hearts III but I believe he also said that some of the characters of the Final Mix secret movie where connected to his next project.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Dragona Akehi said:
For the record I don't think this will be FF related, or at least not entirely FF-centred for the Nintendo announcements.

However, FFVII-IX should be doable on a large (256/512MB card) DS card now for the following reasons:

-Better compression techniques in general
-Lower resolution FMVs required
-The games only ever used 60-70% of the CD data, and much of it was repeated
-Have you looked at any of the PSX era games lately? DS hardware (See FFIII or FFCC DS) smokes it for lunch, what with the dev teams at Square.

Agreed, there were also rumors that Nintendo were moving up from the 128 Meg memory cards. Whether it is true or not it shows a couple of things.

A. Developers want larger cartridges
B. They want to add more FMV and Voice Acting

Crystal Chronicles for the DS shows that the DS could allow for (bad) voice acting. It also shows that SquareEnix wants to push the DS to it's absolute limits. I wouldn't be that surprised at all if the reason why Nintendo is pushing for larger cartridges is because Square is pressuring them to do so.

Nicktals said:
Disney, Square, and Nintendo.

KH III is going to be insane.

I hope Nomura changes his stance on the Wii during the production of FFvsXIII then. From what I recall, he's one of the few big names in Japan that's not going knuckes-to-nuts over it.

He's a presentation nut and he's been a very vocal supporter of the HD 'revolution'. KHIII will most likely be PS3/360 (with PS3 being the main development platform for his team due to the experience w/ Versus.)

But is Square-Enix forces KHIII on Wii....??? I'd imagine that's the only way it will happen.

TheJollyCorner said:
I hope Nomura changes his stance on the Wii during the production of FFvsXIII then. From what I recall, he's one of the few big names in Japan that's not going knuckes-to-nuts over it.

He's a presentation nut and he's been a very vocal supporter of the HD 'revolution'. KHIII will most likely be PS3/360 (with PS3 being the main development platform for his team due to the experience w/ Versus.)

But is Square-Enix forces KHIII on Wii....??? I'd imagine that's the only way it will happen.

Nomura sucks and so does Kingdom Farts. Please keep that shit away from my Wii. He's already infested my DS. :(

Hcoregamer00

The Advancer said:
What I see happening is that KHIII will be on Ps3/X360, And that a Spin-off game with other gameplay will be made for wii

Do a "Spin Off" of Parasite Eve and Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross

By "Spin Off" I mean a multimillion dollar sequel with insanely high production values that pushes the wii to its limits.

Diablos54

Dragona Akehi said:
Nomura sucks and so does Kingdom Farts. Please keep that shit away from my Wii. He's already infested my DS. :(
:( IAWW looks pretty awesome... And KH is pretty good as well. But otherwise, yea Nomura sucks. :p

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:

Not to mention FFXII: Revenant Wings. That games looks amazing even compared to the highest-notch stuff Square had on the PSX.

But I still don't expect Final Fantasy ports on the DS.

Spooks said:
Screw that keep KHIII on the PS3 :(.

"Keep it on" the PS3? You act like it's been announced already.

TreIII

FFXII: RW is looking to be the closest I can pretty much expect from a "new" Ogre Battle type of title for the next go round...

But how about ActRaiser, eh SE? Making a new title for the DS, with all of the simulation functions handled by the Touch screen, and the action-rpg stuff on the top, would be the makings for greatness. Even if Quintet is gone, I'm sure some body else competent could rise to the challenge of making a worthy sequel...

koam

Here I translated it:

Shinji Hashimoto of Square Enix gave a few details on his project "Fabula Nova Crystallis" during an interview with the japanese magazine, Nintendo Dream. He informed us that the world of Final Fantasy XIII would span over a period of 10 years; a period similar to that of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Hashimoto also announced that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : The Crystal Bearers on Wii, for which we have very few details, would completely utilize the wiimote's features, and reminds us that Square Enix would make some very important announcements concerning some unannounced titles at Square Enix Party 2007 (on May 12-13), Tokyo Game Show and Jump Fiesta, and mentioned (with a smile) that Nintendo and Square Enix fans should pay close attention to next month's Square Enix Party 2007.

In other news, the japanese magazine Gamelabo published, in its rumor section, an interesting piece of information concerning Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the sky for the Nintendo DS. Apparently, it will be possible for players to transfer monsters from the DS game to the wii, but take this with a grain of salt.

Finally, Famitsu Wii and DS are predicting the next major Wii and DS releases. According to them, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 : The Sealed Grimoire would be released in July in Japan for the DS, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : Ring of Fates in August, Super Mario Galaxy for Wii in October, Dragon Quest IX : Protectors of the Sky in November, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii in December.

The last piece of info is that Final Fantasy : Anniversary Edition, which was released today in Japan and is scheduled for a June 26 release in the US, will contain english subtitles as these pictures show.

thefro

Spooks said:
Well one would assume since the 1st and 2nd were on PS2 the 3rd installment shall be on PS3.

Yes, and one would assume Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VII should have all been on the N64, but they weren't.

It doesn't make much financial sense for Kingdom Hearts 3 to go to PS3, unless it comes out in 2010 or later.

Out of S/E's big franchises, this one makes the most sense to go to Wii in a non-spinoff form. The Nintendo fanbase will eat it up.

Spooks

thefro said:
Yes, and one would assume Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VII should have all been on the N64, but they weren't.

It doesn't make much financial sense for Kingdom Hearts 3 to go to PS3, unless it comes out in 2010 or later.

Out of S/E's big franchises, this one makes the most sense to go to Wii in a non-spinoff form. The Nintendo fanbase will eat it up.
KH3 probably wont come out till 2010 or later. Nomura has already said he will not start on the next Kingdom Hearts game until FFvsXIII is finished. And that isnt coming out till like mid next year maybe even later. I wont expect a next KH game until 2010 or later.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Kingdom Hearts III with Nintendo characters is such a nobrainer if I've ever seen one.

Cash registers assplode, laughing all the way to bank, it prints money etc.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
There's one thing about a possible Kingdom Hearts III for Wii that makes me wonder though - voice acting? It would be very silly to have all Nintendo characters making noises, being completely silent or whatever, while all the other characters in the game actually have voices. I wonder how much of a sensitive issue that would be for Nintendo.

Dascu

Chemo said:
I don't think I could agree with this more. Nomura is terrible.
Count me in the anti-Nomura league as well. I really don't like his designs. IaWW for DS sounds interesting, but those character designs...yuck! Is anorexia the fashion in Japan these days?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Kiriku said:
There's one thing about a possible Kingdom Hearts III for Wii that makes me wonder though - voice acting? It would be very silly to have all Nintendo characters making noises, being completely silent or whatever, while all the other characters in the game actually have voices. I wonder how much of a sensitive issue that would be for Nintendo.

Just think It's-a-me-Maaaaaaario and I could use some help here Fox

Kiriku said:

not all nintendo characters are silent. iirc, only link and mario are. mario could get away with being the happy-go-lucky hero who yells "woohoo!" and fights with you, while peach, toad, etc do the talking for story purposes. mario could be expressed through facial expressions and grunts pretty easily, hes not exactly a developed character.

link would be a lot more difficult, considering NO ONE in zelda games talk. if they skipped a zelda world though it wouldnt be a big deal.

there could still be a starfox world, a metroid world, an f-zero world, a donkey kong world, a fire emblem world, a pokemon world, an earthbound world, etc which could all have VA.

I think Mario having a voice wouldn't be so bad. I'm actually a bit used to him talking after watching the Super Mario Power Hour as a kid. Link on the other hand, should have duct tape over his mouth at all times.

Hcoregamer00

Dascu said:
Count me in the anti-Nomura league as well. I really don't like his designs. IaWW for DS sounds interesting, but those character designs...yuck! Is anorexia the fashion in Japan these days?

I blame Gackt

Francois the Great said:
not all nintendo characters are silent. iirc, only link and mario are. mario could get away with being the happy-go-lucky hero who yells "woohoo!" and fights with you, while peach, toad, etc do the talking for story purposes. mario could be expressed through facial expressions and grunts pretty easily, hes not exactly a developed character.
Mario isn't very talkative during action in his games, but he's not silent on the same level of Link. He's always reading bits of menu ("Super Mario... Sunshine!", "Select a player!"), and Martinet does a lot of Mario (and related characters) voice at things like E3.

Loonz

I have a (maybe stupid) theory about why Square-Enix would be interested to put the Kingdom Hearts franchise on Wii:

First we have Disney pressing Square to put the series in a console more affordable and more friendly to parents & kids (kids is one of the main targets of Disney products like KH), seeing the higher cost and lesser popularity of the PS3. At the same time, S-E is already burned by the costs of the next FF installment on the, until now, less popular console on the market: they don't want to put all the eggs in the same basket. Finally, they could re-sell the two previous games on the series easily by porting them to the Wii: they could create an userbase for the saga on the console with pretty small risks, and then launch the 3rd installment.

Although I'd prefer a new Nintendo & Square-Enix crossover in the veins of KH... maybe in the future...

Spooks said:
KH3 probably wont come out till 2010 or later. Nomura has already said he will not start on the next Kingdom Hearts game until FFvsXIII is finished. And that isnt coming out till like mid next year maybe even later. I wont expect a next KH game until 2010 or later.
Agreed anybody expected KH3 to be unveiled is in for a disappointment I do think they will do another spin off to bridge KH2 and 3 ala Chain of Memories for the DS though i'm suprised they haven't annouced somthing like already to be honest as it's a good way to continue the series and it would keep disney happy.

From the sounds of the rumor about transferring the monsters to the Wii, there is either a Wii version of Dragon Quest IX in the works or a Dragon Quest Monsters game coming to the Wii. I guess they could somehow fit it in with Dragon Quest Swords as well...

As for Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Wii, I know plenty of casual gamers who are waiting to see which system Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out on to decide on which system to get. I believe it is now one of the bigger system sellers out there. A lot of people play it with their kids, because it is nice and easy to get into. It would be a big thing if Nintendo could wrap up that franchise.

jarrod

Banned
neptunes said:
kingdom Hearts seems likely, given how nomura has mentioned he's moved on.

Disney will probably want a piece of the current wii hype.

Square-Enix could probably get a higher staff member who's worked on the previous 2 to direct the next one, while using the same KH2 engine.
That's what I expect... they'll probably hand it off to the Musashi team again a la COM+. Nomura's team is busy with Versus for the foreseeable future anyway.... they probably won't call it KH3 either, but just add a subtitle.

I could also see KH1+2 (maybe even in a single SKU release) for Wii actually.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Link being interrupted by other characters could be a running gag.
YES, he should keep doing a silent lone hero thing until the end when he opens his mouth to say something but someone interrupts him

mario can just say his unintelligible italian gibberish from the mario & luigi rpgs and the others characters from his world can understand him, but not sora or whoever the guy traveling across worlds is

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Chittagong said:
Kingdom Hearts III with Nintendo characters is such a nobrainer if I've ever seen one.

Cash registers assplode, laughing all the way to bank, it prints money etc.

This is so very true.

Square-Enix-Nintendo Hearts would be much better than Mushroom Kingdom Hearts.

Mana, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, countless classic Nintendo IP's all in one game... just imagine the summons! Pokemon, Bahamut, Judgment from Golden Sun... it'll never happen, but we can dream.

Disney's great and all, but Nintendo makes more sense with SE.

Loonz

Mushroom Kingdom Hearts would be sooooo incredible, sooooo great, sooooo wonderful, sooooo profitable :D... it must happen. Genius idea. I liked KH2 a lot, but I'd prefer MHK much more. It must happen :(.

Grecco

Im gonna steal an idea from Anihawk. And say that

its-a-wonderful-world-20060922043833590.jpg

Gets announced as a major Wii Franchise after its DS version.

Top Bottom