• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix's Shinji Hashimoto - "Square/Nintendo" fans should watch May SE party

Branduil

AniHawk said:
Exactly. I was shocked- SHOCKED the first time I heard someone say Excite Truck had "amazing" graphics, and was shocked the Wii was "only" $250. Not that there's anything wrong with Excite Truck. It's a badass game. But it's not on the same level of Motorstorm (graphically) or on a next gen system or anything.

What it'll come down to this gen is this: 360 hardcore fans (which I will be glad to join ONCE MICROSOFT LOWERS THE ****ING PRICE), and Wii casual fans. PS3 will probably wind up the Saturn/Gamecube 1 of the generation, where it has a good library, but it's largely ignored until the end of its lifespan until people "discover" it.

What GAF should understand by now is that casual gamers aren't very precise in judging graphics. I haven't heard people saying Wii has better graphics than PS3 but I have heard people saying the difference isn't huge. Most people just don't have a graphics-judging scale beyond "Looks bad/looks good/looks amazing."

AniHawk

Branduil said:
What GAF should understand by now is that casual gamers aren't very precise in judging graphics. I haven't heard people saying Wii has better graphics than PS3 but I have heard people saying the difference isn't huge. Most people just don't have a graphics-judging scale beyond "Looks bad/looks good/looks amazing."
Just last week a dad came in and asked me about Super Paper Mario. He likes the Wii more than his PS3, although Need For Speed Carbon looks amazing on the PS3. The lesson here is, sometimes I start posts thinking there's a point to them, but at the end there actually isn't, and I hit submit anyway.

Branduil

AniHawk said:
Just last week a dad came in and asked me about Super Paper Mario. He likes the Wii more than his PS3, although Need For Speed Carbon looks amazing on the PS3. The lesson here is, sometimes I start posts thinking there's a point to them, but at the end there actually isn't, and I hit submit anyway.

I think the point was to make me laugh, because I did.

AniHawk said:
I don't think SE will give Wii the PSP treatment. They know it's gonna be huge, and they need their games on that system because it's the only userbase in Japan aside from the DS.
Why doesn't Square just put everything on DS? Also, I predict a Waggle enabled Final Fantasy VII remake. :0)

jeremy1456

I would love it if Square-Enix ported FFXII to wii.

Especially if you could use the pointer functionality to select targets during battle, and to select other characters and commands.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Francois the Great said:
not all nintendo characters are silent. iirc, only link and mario are. mario could get away with being the happy-go-lucky hero who yells "woohoo!" and fights with you, while peach, toad, etc do the talking for story purposes. mario could be expressed through facial expressions and grunts pretty easily, hes not exactly a developed character.

link would be a lot more difficult, considering NO ONE in zelda games talk. if they skipped a zelda world though it wouldnt be a big deal.

there could still be a starfox world, a metroid world, an f-zero world, a donkey kong world, a fire emblem world, a pokemon world, an earthbound world, etc which could all have VA.

Do all of those franchises you mentioned really contain voice-acting for the main characters? I can't remember ever hearing Samus' voice in a normal conversation in a Metroid game, just reading text of what she's saying. Same with Earthbound, only text. I mean, sure enough they "talk" in their respective games, but rarely with voices.
I think there's a significant difference there, as Nintendo seem so hesitant to use voices in their games, and instead usually stick to text.

Adding voices to all of their characters in real conversations...I see it as a kind of mark that Nintendo perhaps don't want to stick to their characters. I mean, is it really a good thing to suddenly brand your characters with voices when they've been more or less silent for years? Won't people forever connect those voices to the characters after that?

Although it could be a good thing I guess, if it makes Nintendo more open to using voice acting in their games.

Taxman

Branduil said:

How big of a difference is there between the two with both on standard definition tvs? Maybe that would make the statement arguable... *shrug*

Monk

Banned
I think I prefer FF8 on the Wii than FF7. People are gonna hate me for this, bbut F7 bored me to tears. I like FF8 much more. And we might finally have no loading on zell's limit break moves.

But anyhow. I think it will be a chrono trigger remake on the ds with touch screen controls. Do all of the moves with gestures. :0

Taxman

Monk said:
I think I prefer FF8 on the Wii than FF7. People are gonna hate me for this, bbut F7 bored me to tears. I like FF8 much more. And we might finally have no loading on zell's limit break moves.

But anyhow. I think it will be a chrono trigger remake on the ds with touch screen controls. Do all of the moves with gestures. :0

After so torturing a wait, it had better be a sequel, not just a remake cash-in. I don't want Chrono Trigger again, I want a NEW Chrono Trigger.

I'd like FFVIII-2. Maybe as a Chrono-Trigger-esque RPG prequel starring Laguna, Kiros and Ward or as a Myth-like tactical RTS/RPG hybrid where you command groups of SeeDs to do missions.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Taxman said:
After so torturing a wait, it had better be a sequel, not just a remake cash-in. I don't want Chrono Trigger again, I want a NEW Chrono Trigger.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to either Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross.

My beef is that they should limit the cast to 8 characters if they ever do another Chrono Cross. Keep the whole mutiple endings, no EXP points, automatic healing after battle, and the whole slot system, great gameplay balancing, short but sweet game time and amazing musical score.

Beezy said:
Nintendo fans don't give a flyin' **** about bitch ass Cloud or Sephiroth.

true... those are the seeds of the great betrayal thats why it would have a negative effect
something else that would bring more harmony is needed

Terrell

Grecco said:
Im gonna steal an idea from Anihawk. And say that

its-a-wonderful-world-20060922043833590.jpg

Gets announced as a major Wii Franchise after its DS version.
I endorse this message wholeheartedly. RPGs of any flavor in modern settings FTW.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I just want a FFVII remake that is at least somewhat cinematic in quality via graphics.. whether chibi-original style or realism style I don't care, has vastly improved sound quality without shoving Uematsu's original compositions in the bin, and retains the original story without messing around whatsoever (this includes all the junk that has been spread and spammed throughout the FFVII world via the spin-offs).

I will still adore my PS1 copy of FFVII because quite frankly, nothing can touch the charm and charisma of the original.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wyndstryker said:
What if they do the unthinkable...

Annouce Cloud/Sephiroth in SSBB
93% of gameFAQs forumers would buy a Wii. Voting in character polls would remain unchanged

Hcoregamer00

speedpop said:
I just want a FFVII remake that is at least somewhat cinematic in quality via graphics.. whether chibi-original style or realism style I don't care, has vastly improved sound quality without shoving Uematsu's original compositions in the bin, and retains the original story without messing around whatsoever (this includes all the junk that has been spread and spammed throughout the FFVII world via the spin-offs).

I will still adore my PS1 copy of FFVII because quite frankly, nothing can touch the charm and charisma of the original.

Well, the Wii is at least two gamecube's duct taped together :lol

Since the gamecube was only pushed by enough games to fit one hand it is proper to say that a FF7 remake would do it proper justice just because FF7 in ultra realistic Advent Children style doesn't work.

Give me anime style cloud over realistic cloud anyday.

Cloud and Sephiroth in SSBB is a megaton. Seriously. That would be so incredible awesome.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Nintendo-Square RPG, a lot like what they do with kingdom hearts.

Hcoregamer00

underfooter said:
I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Nintendo-Square RPG, a lot like what they do with kingdom hearts.

As much as I would like it to work, the worlds of Nintendo have been seen in videogame form for a while.

Not to mention that having storylines about darkness in everybody's heart coupled with mario JUST DOESN'T WORK.

Here are some kick-ass ideas, Square.

1) Give the Wii the new Chrono Trigger

2) Announce FF13 for Wii. I would love to see the meltdown on GAF.

3) NEW OGRE BATTLE GODDAMMIT ISN'T IT ABOUT TIME FOR CHRIST-AND-ALLAH'S SAKE

4) New FFT will do too.

5) SQUARE DEVELOPING THE NEXT SUPER MARIO RPG?!?!?!

6) Re-make of Final Fantasy VI. PLEASE. PLEASEEE.

Looking into the crystal ball...

I see Crystal Bearers...
DQ IX DS...
Boxing Ring of Fates...
DQ Swords...

FF XIII spin-off for Wii...
DQ Monsters Wii...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Smiles and Cries said:
Let me give you guys a clue of what would be a kick ass game at this Party.

three kingdoms, three hearts
Kingdom Hearts Nintendo + Disney + SE crossover confirmed :O

Dr.Hadji

Beezy said:
Nintendo fans don't give a flyin' **** about bitch ass Cloud or Sephiroth.

Hmm, I thought there was a pretty large cross over. Lots of Nintendo fans like Square (Neo and Oldies Square). Do you know how many times "Sora for Brawl" threads come up on Smash related boards.

Screenboy

Finn said:
If they want it to sell in Japan, 360 is out too. Looks to me Wii is the only proper place to make money with a FFVII remake. ;)

PS3 would sell millions in japan if it had the FFVII remake.

Cloud & Sephiroth arent going to be in SSBB because the characters have to be on a Nintendo platform to do so, so if you see that, then you can expect some FFVII game on a virtual boy or something.

and :lol at all the people thinking this will be something to do with FFVII, its like someone else said, they'll announce monster exchange between Dragon Quest Swords and Dragon Quest IX.

ARENT NINTENDO FANS LUCKY

Zweisy1

I hope it's not FF related. A new Chrono would be great but it doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen now.

5) SQUARE DEVELOPING THE NEXT SUPER MARIO RPG?!?!?!

God no.. Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream have both done a much better job with Mario roleplaying games. Square's Mario RPG wasn't a particularly good game and it didn't feel like a Mario game either.

Screenboy said:
PS3 would sell millions in japan if it had the FFVII remake.

Cloud & Sephiroth arent going to be in SSBB because the characters have to be on a Nintendo platform to do so, so if you see that, then you can expect some FFVII game on a virtual boy or something.

and :lol at all the people thinking this will be something to do with FFVII, its like someone else said, they'll announce monster exchange between Dragon Quest Swords and Dragon Quest IX.

ARENT NINTENDO FANS LUCKY

Laugh now Screenboy, Laugh.

NeonZ

God no.. Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream have both done a much better job with Mario roleplaying games. Square's Mario RPG wasn't a particularly good game and it didn't feel like a Mario game either.

Because current Square is exactly the same as Square from 10 years ago, right? I like IS' Paper mario games, but a Mario RPG in full 3d wouldn't hurt the franchise, and that's something beyond IS' ability.

Top Bottom