• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix's Shinji Hashimoto - "Square/Nintendo" fans should watch May SE party

AniHawk

God I hope it's nothing FFVII related. Can we move away from that piece of shit game yet please? It's been a decade. Thanks.

PolyGone

Banned
How much do you want to bet it'll be nothing we haven't already seen or heard of before?

SE has enough Nintendo love on the plate and more on the way, its pretty ridiculous to assume we're going to see new announcements.

I'm guessing we'll be treated to some nice new footage of DQIX, DQS, FFCC:CB, etc

Amir0x

Banned
nah i'm pretty sure it'll be a shot to prove they're going to begin moving most development over to Wii. FFXIII and FFXIIIvs. will probably be the final big projects on PS3, unless an unbelievable turnabout comes when these games release. So it wouldn't surprise me to see many announcements for Wii.

AniHawk said:
God I hope it's nothing FFVII related. Can we move away from that piece of shit game yet please? It's been a decade. Thanks.
No comment for fear of derailing thread

FF7 is one of the most important games in history. I consider it of equal importance to FF6 as well as other big titles.

Amir0x said:
Anihawk didn't say it wasn't important, just shitty.

I do not believe it fits the description either of you have said. I don't quite put it up with a game like Ocarina of Time, for example, but it is of very high caliber in my books. I guess I never understood why everyone hates on it around here, since it did a lot of things that other games didn't do back then, and reaped the sales rewards as a result IMO.

Haunted

Didn't they announce a commitment to develop some more casual DS games? Some of those along with one or two new Wii titles will be shown there I guess.

Zweisy1

Because current Square is exactly the same as Square from 10 years ago, right? I like IS' Paper mario games, but a Mario RPG in full 3d wouldn't hurt the franchise, and that's something beyond IS' ability.

Just dont understand why people want to see Square do it. Mario RPG is easily the worst out of all Mario RPGs so far so why let the, have another go at it? There are plenty of better RPG developers anyway.

IS is perfectly capable of developing a game in full 3D.

Gotta admit Square Enix did do a decent job with Mario Hoops though.

I do not believe it fits the description either of you have said. I don't quite put it up with a game like Ocarina of Time, for example, but it is of very high caliber in my books. I guess I never understood why everyone hates on it around here, since it did a lot of things that other games didn't do back then, and reaped the sales rewards as a result IMO.

Everything new it did back then is on the presentation side of things. As far as gameplay goes it did nothing that hasn't been done by countless of other RPGs.. in a lot of cases far better than FF7 did.

ethelred

Zweisy1 said:
God no.. Intelligent Systems and Alpha Dream have both done a much better job with Mario roleplaying games. Square's Mario RPG wasn't a particularly good game and it didn't feel like a Mario game either.

The irony of what you're saying is that the team at Square that made Super Mario RPG left the company and became... Alphadream, where they made the Mario & Luigi games. Same director and all, too.

Zweisy1 said:
Just dont understand why people want to see Square do it. Mario RPG is easily the worst out of all Mario RPGs so far so why let the, have another go at it? There are plenty of better RPG developers anyway.

Good question! Seems like you think they did do a better job at their second go at it, though, no?

I wouldn't be shocked if the DS and Wii both got their own FF13 spin offs. Concerning KH3, I think SE are going to wait and see till at least the end of the year before making any platform decisions.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I wouldn't be shocked if the DS and Wii both got their own FF13 spin offs. Concerning KH3, I think SE are going to wait and see till at least the end of the year before making any platform decisions.

KH1&2 Ultimate mix Wii edition + waggle control + KH3 hype.
It might be....

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
The irony of what you're saying is that the team at Square that made Super Mario RPG left the company and became... Alphadream, where they made the Mario & Luigi games. Same director and all, too.

Good question! Seems like you think they did do a better job at their second go at it, though, no?

so you're saying we should let AlphaDream develop a Mario RPG for Wii? Sounds like a good idea. As long as it's not SquareEnix!

Zweisy1

Yes, I was aware of Alpha Dream having some ex-Square staff. Is it really majority of the Mario RPG team though?
Mario and Luigi was a huge improvement over Mario RPG.. especially when it comes to battle system and writing.

I guess Im just not a huge fan of Square Enix in general as you can tell. Still have a soft spot for the lovely Dragon Quest and Matsuno's work.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
DS/Wii connectivity, eh? We know of Crystal Chronicles Wii and DS, so it makes sense for the connectivity to be inbetween the two titles.

Amir0x said:
nah i'm pretty sure it'll be a shot to prove they're going to begin moving most development over to Wii. FFXIII and FFXIIIvs. will probably be the final big projects on PS3, unless an unbelievable turnabout comes when these games release. So it wouldn't surprise me to see many announcements for Wii.

that would result in a bigger downgrade than DQVIII to DQIV on the DS...square wont do it...theyre graphic whores

Anyway, I definitely dont think the wii will be the runaway success people reckon...or maybe it will, but personally I find it by far the least interesting console

peace

Pureauthor said:
Funny you should mention the DS...

Im expecting ff games for both the DS and the wii...but not main line...it would bust the series in mind...or it would bust my interest. Id far prefer it went multiplat ps3/360 (and so would square)

peace

Amir0x

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
that would result in a bigger downgrade than DQVIII to DQIV on the DS...square wont do it...theyre graphic whores

Anyway, I definitely dont think the wii will be the runaway success people reckon...or maybe it will, but personally I find it by far the least interesting console

peace

I think you misread my post. You don't think what will happen? And what would be a bigger downgrade than DQVIII to DQIX? I don't think anything could match that downgrade, and I didn't guess what games would be announced for Wii anyway. I said FFXIII and FFXIIIvs. would be the last major PS3 SE games, not that they would be moved to another platform.

Amir0x said:
I think you misread my post. You don't think what will happen? And what would be a bigger downgrade than DQVIII to DQIX? I don't think anything could match that downgrade, and I didn't guess what games would be announced for Wii anyway. I said FFXIII and FFXIIIvs. would be the last major PS3 SE games, not that they would be moved to another platform.

I'm guessing he means FFXIV (we all know it's gonna happen. 15 games across 12 different platforms, including the Virtual Boy, the Virtual Console, XBLA, PSN etc).

big_z

nelsonroyale said:

peace

just use high quality prerendered backgrounds like capcom did in remake and square can masturbate to their graphics once again.

d[-_-]b

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

peace
Joke character confirmed?

Amir0x

Banned
uhm pre-rendered graphics != as beautiful as fully 3D graphics, OR as functional.

Stop giving them ideas. We do not need to go back to pre-rendered shit. Leave it to die horribly.

Zweisy1 said:
Everything new it did back then is on the presentation side of things. As far as gameplay goes it did nothing that hasn't been done by countless of other RPGs.. in a lot of cases far better than FF7 did.

For the most part in the gameplay area I feel you are correct. But the presentation side of things can have a massive effect on how good a game is to the end user, as is demonstrated by Resident Evil 4 (although the gameplay on this game is arguably just as good).

PolyGone

Banned
Amir0x said:
uhm pre-rendered graphics != as beautiful as fully 3D graphics, OR as functional.

Stop giving them ideas. We do not need to go back to pre-rendered shit. Leave it to die horribly.

for once we agree on something - its the main reason I couldn't get into Baten Kaitos

ethelred

Zweisy1 said:
Yes, I was aware of Alpha Dream having some ex-Square staff. Is it really majority of the Mario RPG team though?
Mario and Luigi was a huge improvement over Mario RPG.. especially when it comes to battle system and writing.

Well, let's see... the two games shared the same director, same composer... some of the game/event design people were the same, some of the graphic designer supervisors were the same.

So there were some key similarities in the staff. I think you're being way too harsh when you knock them -- there were really high quality people here. Some of the other members of staff went on to do some awesome stuff... like Hideo Minaba (map designer for FFT, art director for FFIX and FFXII, character designer for ASH), Kenichi Niishi (creator of Giftpia and Chibi Robo), and Akira Ueda (director of the Shining Soul and Contact games).

Also, you say the writing was improved. Bear in mind that there's a big difference between Square USA's 90's era translations and the 2000 translations done at Treehouse. That has a big impact on what we perceive as quality of writing.

Zweisy1 said:
I guess Im just not a huge fan of Square Enix in general as you can tell. Still have a soft spot for the lovely Dragon Quest and Matsuno's work.

Sure, I love Dragon Quest and Matsuno as well, but I think you're wrong in suggesting that Square Enix doesn't do other good stuff -- particularly when you're calling the SMRPG team awful and then praising a game they went on to make at a different company.

Amir0x said:
so you're saying we should let AlphaDream develop a Mario RPG for Wii? Sounds like a good idea. As long as it's not SquareEnix!

Hey, I'd be cool with that, but I don't think we'll hear about it at a Square Enix party, unfortunately. We'll just hear about 30 new Final Fantasy games.

nelsonroyale said:
Anyway, I definitely dont think the wii will be the runaway success people reckon...

Er... too late?

mclem

Wyndstryker said:
What if they do the unthinkable...

Annouce Cloud/Sephiroth in SSBB

It's just crossed my mind: I've had doubts about Cloud/Sephiroth in SSBB, the characters are too readily associated with the Playstation (Okay, that didn't stop Snake, but at least Snake has significant heritage from the NES era and Twin Snakes; Cloud and Seph only have KH:CoM).

But there is an extremely significant Square Enix character who I could see on SSBB, fits with the context of the game, has a great heritage on Nintendo systems and is insanely popular.

NEWCOMER: Slime

Linkup

Amir0x said:

I don't know Baten Kaitos looks pretty good.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Smiles and Cries said:
Let me give you guys a clue of what would be a kick ass game at this Party.

three kingdoms, three hearts
This?
k1oxmip.jpg

:)

NeonZ

IS is perfectly capable of developing a game in full 3D.

Eh... I'm not so sure. How many years of development did Path of Radiance have, after all? More than 2, but the models were low polygon and the animation was often stiff. Goddess of Dawn improved the animation but the models are only slightly better than its predecessor's. That's what... 3 years of working in a single engine. There's no way they could make a decent Mario RPG in 3d in a reasonable timescale.

PolyGone

Banned
NeonZ said:
Eh... I'm not so sure. How many years of development did Path of Radiance have, after all? More than 2, but the models were low polygon and the animation was often stiff. Goddess of Dawn improved the animation but the models are only slightly better than its predecessor's. That's what... 3 years of working in a single engine. There's no way they could make a decent Mario RPG in 3d in a reasonable timescale.

bingo - I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't have outsourced Metroid 3D to other studios if IS was capable of delivering

ethelred

NeonZ said:

The Fire Emblem team at Intelligent Systems is totally different than the Paper Mario team.

PolyGone said:
bingo - I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't have outsourced Metroid 3D to other studios if IS was capable of delivering

Metroid wasn't "outsourced," Retro is a fully owned Nintendo studio, just like IntSys. And why would IntSys have done 3D Metroid, anyway? It's not their franchise. IntSys is not R&D1.

Baryn

Banned
ethelred said:
Lawlz, eh? I'd take it over a new Kingdom Hearts or FF Versus by Nomura any day of the week. Maybe you just need to reevaluate your classifications of A and B teams.
I guess we'll see!

NeonZ

The Fire Emblem team at Intelligent Systems is totally different than the Paper Mario team.

Is it? I didn't really check the credits. But Fire Emblem is the only true 3d game they've made. I don't see how the Paper Mario team would perform any better.

PolyGone

Banned
ethelred said:
Metroid wasn't "outsourced," Retro is a fully owned Nintendo studio, just like IntSys. And why would IntSys have done 3D Metroid, anyway? It's not their franchise. IntSys is not R&D1.

IntSys originally grew from R&D1 and staffs many of the individuals responsible for the Metroid series over the years. Despite the fact that Retro is owned by Nintendo (as is NST for that matter, the guys who made Hunters) I would still prefer to see a team of former Metroid vets work on the series in 3d - if Prime didn't turn out so great.

[Nintex]

PolyGone said:
IntSys originally grew from R&D1 and staffs many of the individuals responsible for the Metroid series over the year. Despite the fact that Retro is owned by Nintendo (as is NST for that matter, the guys who made Hunters) I would still prefer to see a team of former Metroid vets work on the series in 3d - if Prime didn't turn out so great.
I do remember rumors that a Metroid for the N64 was in the works.

Eteric Rice

mclem said:
It's just crossed my mind: I've had doubts about Cloud/Sephiroth in SSBB, the characters are too readily associated with the Playstation (Okay, that didn't stop Snake, but at least Snake has significant heritage from the NES era and Twin Snakes; Cloud and Seph only have KH:CoM).

But there is an extremely significant Square Enix character who I could see on SSBB, fits with the context of the game, has a great heritage on Nintendo systems and is insanely popular.

NEWCOMER: Slime

Or the "Hero." :)

My head would explode if one of the secret characters were
NEWCOMER: Locke
. :)

jarrod

Banned
PolyGone said:
IntSys originally grew from R&D1 and staffs many of the individuals responsible for the Metroid series over the years. Despite the fact that Retro is owned by Nintendo (as is NST for that matter, the guys who made Hunters) I would still prefer to see a team of former Metroid vets work on the series in 3d - if Prime didn't turn out so great.
IntSys seperated before Metroid 1 was made iirc. The only involvement IntSys staff had had with Metroid was converting the FDS game to a NES cart (downgrading the music and adding a password feature in place of file saves) and lending RD1 some programmers to help with Super Metroid.

The "Metroid vets" are within EAD these days (at SPD). They seem to be too busy wasting their lives on microgames to bother with proper games like Metroid or Wario Land though. :(

Top Bottom