• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wont disagree with you but the higher you get though the longer it takes to get to the next level. Going from 9 to 10 is particularly time consuming.

I don't disagree. But I still don't think that's good.

The levels 1-5 are so easy to gain that they are effectively useless. Those are great levels to learn how to handle a rider and board at lower speeds, but you shoot right through them. So its really a 5-10 level system. Where at 5-6 you already take a bit to go up, let alone 9-10.

And since the game should not be about leveling but about beating your friends' times/scores and getting credits to buy more items, it becomes an unnecessary and cumbersome grind.

I think 3-5 events should net you a level. That would mean 30-50 events per character, than means full lvl 10s after about 300-500 events. Which is a lot of time and gameplay but without feeling like a constant grind. Now there is little incentive to level up more than one character considering how long it takes. Which means we will always level up one and always play as that one.

I feel The game should let you easily level everyone up so you can mix up the tricks/ubers/dialogs/outfits and so forth, rather than always seeing the same one and getting bored. Its not like the characters are deep and you grow attached to them.

I don't disagree. But I still don't think that's good.

The levels 1-5 are so easy to gain that they are effectively useless. Those are great levels to learn how to handle a rider and board at lower speeds, but you shoot right through them. So its really a 5-10 level system. Where at 5-6 you already take a bit to go up, let alone 9-10.

And since the game should not be about leveling but about beating your friends' times/scores and getting credits to buy more items, it becomes an unnecessary and cumbersome grind.

I think 3-5 events should net you a level. That would mean 30-50 events per character, than means full lvl 10s after about 300-500 events. Which is a lot of time and gameplay but without feeling like a constant grind. Now there is little incentive to level up more than one character considering how long it takes. Which means we will always level up one and always play as that one.

I feel The game should let you easily level everyone up so you can mix up the tricks/ubers/dialogs/outfits and so forth, rather than always seeing the same one and getting bored. Its not like the characters are deep and you grow attached to them.

Yeah one issue with the game is once you have a level 10 character, there's no reason to use others for global events or anything because they just won't be as good.

I don't have much interest in the whole beating everyone's scores and times things though so my current plan is to keep scouring for geotags for fun and profit. And if I can get all the characters up to level 10 I'll feel like I've done everything I wanted to do really.

IsayFever

So my slopes be kinda lonely. Been adding people on psn for ghosts, but figured I'd post mine up here as well. Psn id - jzzu

Gritesh

I took a break from this game a couple days after release.

But man I got back into it tonight and I am loving it!!

I got 13 million on a trick it track and had super tricky rolling from almost start to finish.

Feelsgoodman.

This game is awesome.

I wish that they would make a snowboard game that is open mountain with the eb and flow of the Skate series, but for pure over the top fun SSX is awesome!!

This will definately help tide me over during the off season coming up! (Summer months when the Rockies are closed for the season)

soultron

Banned
dude ive just played regularly and ive got 60-some explore golds and 119 million GE earnings

quit enjoying the scenery and get into the GRIIIIND! :D

I've been repeating lots of runs just because I enjoy them so much. I spent about two hours cracking One Step Ahead wide open. So much fun. I love that run because while it's super punishing, when you get it right, it just feels amazing. Pure Zen moments.

That and I enjoy hunting for GeoTags. I'll usually hunt down GTs if I see a notification pop up. (You escaped me this time, Neuromancer!)

I'm working my way through the game slowly. Just savouring it all the while. :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ME3 taking up my time at present, but I made sure to jump into a few of the 1mil+ GEs running, another 13+ million bank expected by mid-week, feels good. I deliberately failed to reach Plat on one of the survivals as to stay in Diamond and get the damn badge for it. I love Aoraki (sp?).

I've been repeating lots of runs just because I enjoy them so much. I spent about two hours cracking One Step Ahead wide open. So much fun. I love that run because while it's super punishing, when you get it right, it just feels amazing. Pure Zen moments.

That and I enjoy hunting for GeoTags. I'll usually hunt down GTs if I see a notification pop up. (You escaped me this time, Neuromancer!)

I'm working my way through the game slowly. Just savouring it all the while. :p

Where I put my geotags, ain't NO ONE gonna find

MattDoza

I still cannot play the game while connected to xbox live. The framerate is absolute crap. But as soon as I yank out my ethernet(also, it's silly that this is the only way to disconnect from live without signing out of my profile entirely) it's fine.

Bollocks

What's with the geotags that are place right into a chasm, there's no way to collect them without dying?! Do I just need to touch them to collect them? So it doesn't matter if I die or rewind?

What's with the geotags that are place right into a chasm, there's no way to collect them without dying?! Do I just need to touch them to collect them? So it doesn't matter if I die or rewind?

Spelunking crevasses for all of their bountiful booty is a meta-game all its own, Adventure!

JaseMath

EDIT: ^^^ Your avatar = Elise in real life.

Any word on when (if any) patch will be released? Any rumors of what said patch would contain?

FINALLY HAVE THE GAME

Edit: Doing all World Tour without gear, so far so easy, I'm on Siberia

PS: And no rewinds

2nd edit: Beat Siberia DD on second try, it was tough and had to navigate carefully but that was fun :D

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I need DLC asap. The fact that I can only stomach about 16 of the 153 drops is killing the replay value for me.

Minamu

A while back there was a post from the devs explaining why the game has those death traps where you fall to your death. Did anyone save that post?

OneLetter

For some odd reason, I really like the "Survive It" tracks where there's not a lot of gimmicks, like the tree's one. All you have is armor, and if you take your time, and be patient, you can just keep racking up the distance.

I absolutely hate the o2 and solar panel objectives though. Something about those just feels wrong to me, and takes away from the game as a whole.

JaseMath

For some odd reason, I really like the "Survive It" tracks where there's not a lot of gimmicks, like the tree's one. All you have is armor, and if you take your time, and be patient, you can just keep racking up the distance.

I absolutely hate the o2 and solar panel objectives though. Something about those just feels wrong to me, and takes away from the game as a whole.

I really enjoyed the solar panel one for some reason. It's a simple concept and there really aren't cheap "deaths". The O2 one is terrible in theory and God awful in practice. The cave/head lamp and the pulse goggle ones are equally terrible for playability reasons. Although the goggles are tolerable (at best), neither the O2 or the African cave runs should have never made the final cut if you ask me.

And I'm still bothered by the fact that you can "die" in an SSX game. It's a gaint step in the wrong direction for the franchise.

The O2 track was awful, having to 'breath' just sucked, I don't think I will bother with the explore maps for that lol. It would have been more interesting if the faster you went the longer your oxygen lasted, essentially tying oxygen to Tricky.

I've decided I like all of New Zealand. The Feature Peak is baller-status awesome. At first I hated Zombies with Jetpacks but honestly it's not that bad. You just need to stay to the right for the first part of it. Mornin' Tiger and Bulldog were already legit awesome from my first runs down them, and the ending that all three share (the name escapes me) is good as well.

The Backcountry peak has three good runs, but none of them are great. The whiteouts on them are pretty tame so you can actually handle them without the goggles fairly well.

The deadly descent is good, but not great. At first I thought it was hell but it's grown on my since. They key was equipping the wingsuit. It helps you just flat out skip over some of the more difficult, crevasse-filled parts.

Hale-XF11

I need DLC asap. The fact that I can only stomach about 16 of the 153 drops is killing the replay value for me.

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way. There really aren't that many tracks I enjoy playing on repeatedly. I guess there's the possibility that DLC could alleviate that feeling, but then it could also exacerbate it if the developers take it upon themselves to create more tracks with death pits, low ceiling caves and/or terrain that you constantly fight against instead of getting a nice flow going on.

I really enjoyed the solar panel one for some reason. It's a simple concept and there really aren't cheap "deaths". The O2 one is terrible in theory and God awful in practice. The cave/head lamp and the pulse goggle ones are equally terrible for playability reasons. Although the goggles are tolerable (at best), neither the O2 or the African cave runs should have never made the final cut if you ask me.

And I'm still bothered by the fact that you can "die" in an SSX game. It's a gaint step in the wrong direction for the franchise.

Yeah, agreed. It's a huge misstep. All I want to do in SSX games is head down the mountain at full speed and launch into enormous combos off huge jumps. These gimmicks just inhibit what could have been an all-around fantastic experience.

I have a feeling (I hope) that they're going to drop a mountain that's just "Pure" SSX as DLC. I'm sure they're reading all this and getting the hint.

I love the game as it is but those sorts of tracks would be nice.

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way. There really aren't that many tracks I enjoy playing on repeatedly. I guess there's the possibility that DLC could alleviate that feeling, but then it could also exacerbate it if the developers take it upon themselves to create more tracks with death pits, low ceiling caves and/or terrain that you constantly fight against instead of getting a nice flow going on.
Yeah it could go either way but I hope they'll take user feedback into account and make more tracks like Serenity, which is always very popular online probably because there are no random death pits. It's just a long, fun, wide stretch of hills and features all the way down.

The solar one is fine with me too, but there is one sorta cheap death. If you built up too much speed and hit a cave at a bad angle you corkscrew through it, and the time needed to recover from that and get moving again will more often than not kill you.

The O2 runs are just horrid. So bad I probably won't play them more except to say I did.

Raxus

Yeah, agreed. It's a huge misstep. All I want to do in SSX games is head down the mountain at full speed and launch into enormous combos off huge jumps. These gimmicks just inhibit what could have been an all-around fantastic experience.

I have to disagree somewhat. I love the avalanche survivals but the rest either come down to just going down a slope like a grandma on a snowboard or memorizing the course. Out of all the items introduced I would only keep the wingsuit (which is a ton of fun to use) and the ice pick to help with ice decents.

Whoever decided to put O2 in the game deserves to get fired.

Tawpgun

Only thing I'm disappointed in is in development they were bragging that because they can generate mountains on NASA data there would be no real out of bounds areas. Anything is ridable.

Which is true, aside from the fucking chasms.

Only thing I'm disappointed in is in development they were bragging that because they can generate mountains on NASA data there would be no real out of bounds areas. Anything is ridable.

Which is true, aside from the fucking chasms.

Yeah this drives me nuts. There are no chasms of nothingness on Earth, so why are they in the game? I can understand a sharp cliff with nothing off to one side. Mountains have that. But there are no mountains with holes in the middle of them anywhere on the planet.

I have to disagree somewhat. I love the avalanche survivals but the rest either come down to just going down a slope like a grandma on a snowboard or memorizing the course. Out of all the items introduced I would only keep the wingsuit (which is a ton of fun to use) and the ice pick to help with ice decents.

Whoever decided to put O2 in the game deserves to get fired.

Agreed, the avalanche survivals were actually a great idea and a solid change of pace. The wingsuit can be helpful and makes sense, and the ice picks do too to an extent. Totally agreed about O2 containers and the anti-freeze heat detector things.

Yeah this drives me nuts. There are no chasms of nothingness on Earth, so why are they in the game? I can understand a sharp cliff with nothing off to one side. Mountains have that. But there are no mountains with holes in the middle of them anywhere on the planet.

Er... are you sure about that?

Sarcasm?

Er... are you sure about that?

Sarcasm?

Show me a picture of something that looks like the Ice deadly descent anywhere on the planet and I'll change my tune. I've never heard of a mountain that has a bottomless pit running through the MIDDLE of it.

Side note: I actually don't think the Ice DD was that bad. I put up a platinum survive run on it the other day. Made it down almost 4 times, including one full run with my ice axes completely worn down. You just need to go slow.

It's always a novel and pleasant feeling when you fall down a pit and are about to hit rewind, but then your dude actually lands and keeps going because there's actually something down there.

Show me a picture of something that looks like the Ice deadly descent anywhere on the planet and I'll change my tune. I've never heard of a mountain that has a bottomless pit running through the MIDDLE of it.

Side note: I actually don't think the Ice DD was that bad. I put up a platinum survive run on it the other day. Made it down almost 4 times, including one full run with my ice axes completely worn down. You just need to go slow.
217775731_ae656f5cdc_z.jpg

Also part of Everest is notorious for pits, in fact they have to use ladders to walk across them.

But yeah I agree, out of all the DD's, the ice one was the least egregious. The oxygen one is the worst.

JaseMath

Even if there were, they don't belong is an SSX game. SSX isn't a platformer...I don't know why the devs tried to make it one.

Yeah, i`m ok with the solar panel, playing with a level 10 legendary one isn`t too punishing, but o2.... man i hate that... its just not fun; even equipped with the best one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I like the Cold DD. Cold and Gravity are the ones I keep coming back to.

Oxygen is awful. I said it before but I really can't believe they wasted Mount Everest with the worst gimmick in the game.

Regarding DLC: i would love a new sunny mountain like Patagonia. I really like those main tracks. I love the wingsuit but most ws tracks are tough and like a platformer. But the main mountain/main tracks of Patagonia have the right balance of great wingsuit action and fun snowboarding without dying too much.

Top Bottom