• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I kind of felt with DLC they would go super crazy and make some kind of Tokyo Megaplex type track.

Who knows what they'll do. Hopefully it's not a crazy track for survival and more of a crazy track for trick it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Could you imagine if it was like ALL HOLES SSX.

I would cry.

UnYHn.jpg

the death pits would be ok if you would be able to phase out and start right back on the track like in the original SSX. The idea of having to rewind and keep trying to get the jump right is a real irritating hassle. Especially with the other riders keep going forward in time. Not sure where EA got their ideas on time travel from.

the death pits would be ok if you would be able to phase out and start right back on the track like in the original SSX. The idea of having to rewind and keep trying to get the jump right is a real irritating hassle. Especially with the other riders keep going forward in time. Not sure where EA got their ideas on time travel from.
What's more annoying about this is the fact that you then need to restart which ends up in A) music is starting again with another song and B) loading times over and over

Sulaco

I'm starting to think the Edge score is right. There are so many bad ideas in this game that are sucking the fun out of it.

- Way way way too many death pits
- Uncontrollable wingsuits
- Solar suits / freezing in the middle of a race - wtf?
- Boring ass caves every 10 seconds

Fantastical

Death Prophet

The death pits are also incredibly bad in parts that it seems that they intentionally obscure them from your view, particularly in caves. There are moments where all you see a cliff coming up but you don't know what is below it, meaning you have to memorize these tracks. It also sucks that you have to monitor your speed so you don't flying off to your death.

soultron

Banned
The death pits are also incredibly bad in parts that it seems that they intentionally obscure them from your view, particularly in caves. There are moments where all you see a cliff coming up but you don't know what is below it, meaning you have to memorize these tracks. It also sucks that you have to monitor your speed so you don't flying off to your death.

Track memorization has always been a huge part of getting good at any racing game. Being a great trick it player requires a different sort of track memorization as well.

I think the records in Explore are easy enough that most new players should be able to earn medals though, however. Online in GE, however? God help them. Haha.

I must be a sucker for punishment because I love the brutally hard back country runs. One Step Ahead is my new Death Zone.

I think there's enough content in there to please everyone. I'd be okay if the next SSX game didn't have brutally hard runs, but I'd certainly miss them, knowing what they're like now with this game. I totally agree that they're a polarizing issue.

I should probably start Dark Souls. Haha.

I'm starting to think the Edge score is right. There are so many bad ideas in this game that are sucking the fun out of it.

- Way way way too many death pits
- Uncontrollable wingsuits
- Solar suits / freezing in the middle of a race - wtf?
- Boring ass caves every 10 seconds

Uncontrollable wing suits? What level are you?

It's always a novel and pleasant feeling when you fall down a pit and are about to hit rewind, but then your dude actually lands and keeps going because there's actually something down there.

217775731_ae656f5cdc_z.jpg

Also part of Everest is notorious for pits, in fact they have to use ladders to walk across them.

But yeah I agree, out of all the DD's, the ice one was the least egregious. The oxygen one is the worst.

Tune changed I suppose, but that doesn't make the pits any less bullshit.

Bollocks

Lol, entered my first global trick event, got ~15mio points nothing spectacular, look up to diamond and one dude had 70mio, fuck this shit. I will never get that badge and certainly not the badge for doing it 15x, there goes my platinum
50233_39668941059_1824305_n.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Bottomless crevasses and low cave ceilings have no place on the event peaks. You can put that stuff on the backcountry runs and I won't argue against it but event peaks should be about high speed and big air without any need to worry about what's waiting around the corner to swallow you up or smack your head into.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Lol, entered my first global trick event, got ~15mio points nothing spectacular, look up to diamond and one dude had 70mio, fuck this shit. I will never get that badge and certainly not the badge for doing it 15x, there goes my platinum
50233_39668941059_1824305_n.jpg

Diamond/Platinum ranks are fairly easy to reach in Survival GEs, and you can easily achieve Diamond rank by soloing custom events, or Platinum by tag-teaming with 1 friend in a custom event by coming in 2nd place.

Curufinwe

I managed to connect to RiderNet eventually last night by signing into PSN after I had already been playing for a while.

Hopefully I won't have to resort to that workaround from now on.

soultron

Banned
Bottomless crevasses and low cave ceilings have no place on the event peaks. You can put that stuff on the backcountry runs and I won't argue against it but event peaks should be about high speed and big air without any need to worry about what's waiting around the corner to swallow you up or smack your head into.

I think my new "perfect" SSX game would feature the atmosphere and design from all of Tricky, 3, and 2012.

SSX 2012 -- tops of peaks or entire mountains of back country. Some runs would be total zen zones, others would be brutally punishing ridge runs.

SSX3 -- Middle-mountain zones that act as a transition between rugged back country and the first signs of man-made interference starts to show here.

Tricky -- Festival style atmosphere at the bottom section of the mountains, takes place in park-like terrain made to be exciting and zany.

You could have several mountains that use this scheme. You'd have to level characters to get access to higher altitudes. This means you'd have access to gear when you're properly levelled to use it. You've become comfortable with the controls if you're moving up, I'd think.

I believe that using a Skate style drop marker system would be wicked, if technically possible. It would allow you to session spots if you felt like it. When reaching a transition zone, you'd have a spot marked by flares that would either allow you to go back to your drop marker or it would let you board the helicopter. If you want to continue your run, SSX3 All Peaks Run style, you simple go past the flare-marked zone.

The helicopter would come in as a sort of custom playlist mechanic -- before you set out, you'd plan your route and link several runs together. If 3 mountains existed with A B C drops, you could make a play list like this, for instance:

1. M1:B
  2. M2:A
  3. M2:A
  4. M2:C
  5. M3:C

This would allow you to string together X amount of time of just back country or everything, for instance. To cover up load times, you could mess with your gear while on the heli. (Or, if some EA tech wizard could figure out a way to start loading the next selected run while in the final stretch of the last zone, that'd be awesome too!)

I think things like this would be technical beasts that would be really hard to conquer, but a man can dream, right? Just some preliminary thoughts. It'd obviously be worked over a bunch if it were ever made into a game.

Damn it all my global events were locally erased again, what the hell is wrong with this game. this is really killing my fun. All I do is enter high-roller events and now I cant retry any of them for fear of wasting my money again.

I got an idea! I just wont play for a week until all my current evenst cash out so I avoid wasting credits twice... <_<

You've done it EA, you've involuntarily killed my replay value of SSX... by making me have to not play your game due to client side sync issues that should've been fixed in QA.

JaseMath

Ugh...I've rage quit this game so many times. SSX is easily the most frustrating game I've played this gen. :( Why do I willingly subject myself to this?

Stackboy

Sucks to hear some of you guys are having a bad experience with the game, with online issues and such. I have nothing but good things to say about it. If I land in a chasm of death, I try to make a note of it so I don't fall into it again.

Trial and error in games is something that should be welcomed from time to time. It's worked for human learning since forever. Bit of a difficulty setting never hurt anyone.

Tawpgun

I think my new "perfect" SSX game would feature the atmosphere and design from all of Tricky, 3, and 2012.

SSX 2012 -- tops of peaks or entire mountains of back country. Some runs would be total zen zones, others would be brutally punishing ridge runs.

SSX3 -- Middle-mountain zones that act as a transition between rugged back country and the first signs of man-made interference starts to show here.

Tricky -- Festival style atmosphere at the bottom section of the mountains, takes place in park-like terrain made to be exciting and zany.

You could have several mountains that use this scheme. You'd have to level characters to get access to higher altitudes. This means you'd have access to gear when you're properly levelled to use it. You've become comfortable with the controls if you're moving up, I'd think.

I believe that using a Skate style drop marker system would be wicked, if technically possible. It would allow you to session spots if you felt like it. When reaching a transition zone, you'd have a spot marked by flares that would either allow you to go back to your drop marker or it would let you board the helicopter. If you want to continue your run, SSX3 All Peaks Run style, you simple go past the flare-marked zone.

The helicopter would come in as a sort of custom playlist mechanic -- before you set out, you'd plan your route and link several runs together. If 3 mountains existed with A B C drops, you could make a play list like this, for instance:

1. M1:B
  2. M2:A
  3. M2:A
  4. M2:C
  5. M3:C

This would allow you to string together X amount of time of just back country or everything, for instance. To cover up load times, you could mess with your gear while on the heli. (Or, if some EA tech wizard could figure out a way to start loading the next selected run while in the final stretch of the last zone, that'd be awesome too!)

I think things like this would be technical beasts that would be really hard to conquer, but a man can dream, right? Just some preliminary thoughts. It'd obviously be worked over a bunch if it were ever made into a game.

I like it. I can see some of the ridge runs being super fun if you KNOW that they are ridge runs.

So I was bored on World Tour (not a challenge even without mods/gear/rewinds, most it took me to beat a DD was 3 tries on Gravity so far), went to Explore, chose backcountry New Zealand peak, went head on into a whiteout run without pulse goggles... fuckyeah.gif. THIS IS AWESOME. You really gotta be sharp to get gold and you can't see shit. I love it.

Hale-XF11

Trial and error in games is something that should be welcomed from time to time. It's worked for human learning since forever. Bit of a difficulty setting never hurt anyone.
I welcome that too, but this game does have a decent share of unfair death pits and some that are just plain not fun to be around. As for SSX, it comes from a background of offering seamless game play that feels good to a lot of players, including myself. It might have been in EA's interest to make the majority of the tracks more fun to trick on and explore without fear of death. That and it's a Zen thing. It's nice to just relax and get your groove on for minutes at a time without breaking too much of a sweat.

Have they said anything about a patch?

Curious if they'll end up tweaking the PS3 analog dead zone.

Also bug fixes. They could certainly use that.

bs000

Damn magnetic rails. It's already annoying when they suck you in when you're no where near them, but then sometimes they start pulling me in but I don't make it to the rail and I get sucked into a bottomless pit instead. Worse still, when I actually want to get on a rail, I'll ride over or clip right through it
and into a bottomless pit, naturally.

Hale-XF11

Damn magnetic rails. It's already annoying when they suck you in when you're no where near them, but then sometimes they start pulling me in but I don't make it to the rail and I get sucked into a bottomless pit instead. Worse still, when I actually want to get on a rail, I'll ride over or clip right through it
and into a bottomless pit, naturally.

Even worse is that it's not entirely consistent in my experience. Take Bear Claw for example. For some reason, the rails there are way less magnetic than on most other courses. Sometimes I can't grind them at all even though I'm landing right on top of them.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Please tell me that level 10 characters are a lot better better than level 9. My fingers hurt and I cant push my trick scores any higher. SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!

Also add me on PSN: MThanded. A brother needs some more competition.

LaneDS

This game is my biggest gaming disappointment in a long while. It's odd too, because the game can actually be a lot of fun at times but the negative bits bring it down so much and they've taken the series in really unfortunate ways. The demo feels almost dishonest in a way because it just completely masked a lot of the biggest issues the game has going against it.

So I'm simultaneously enjoying it and being super frustrated by the game. Still have this faint hope that I'll keep playing it until it just clicks and I love it, but for now SSX 3 remains king for me.

JaseMath

This game is my biggest gaming disappointment in a long while. It's odd too, because the game can actually be a lot of fun at times but the negative bits bring it down so much and they've taken the series in really unfortunate ways. The demo feels almost dishonest in a way because it just completely masked a lot of the biggest issues the game has going against it.

So I'm simultaneously enjoying it and being super frustrated by the game. Still have this faint hope that I'll keep playing it until it just clicks and I love it, but for now SSX 3 remains king for me.

I feel the same way. When the game is good, it's some of the best SSX in the series. When it's bad, I never want to play it again. It's just so damn inconsistent - like it was developed by two separate teams at two different times.

soultron

Banned
20K meteres on Rockies back country Survive It in Explore. Come at me, SHREDDING BROS.

(You'll be able to beat me if you max out your rewinds by getting 2x 2x-rewind mods and a suit with the rewinds perk on it, I bet. I went in with 5 rewinds total.)

Dead

well not really...yet
Man this game is addictive

Feel free to add my PSN ID I wanna race the whole world even though Im still pretty bad, lol.

PSN ID: Ardvaark

The thing I don't get is that the vast majority of the tracks are riddled with death pits and other hazards. I'd understand if, say, 20% of the tracks (like the deadly descents and their warm-up runs) catered to the players that need a teeth-grinding challenge. I can't imagine that most of the SSX crowd enjoys the current distribution; I certainly don't. And I platinum'd both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. :p

The other big thing I don't get are the occasional completely unfair trap rails and jumps. A certain amount of track memorization is always needed, sure, but as I recall it, in earlier SSX games you could trust the track. Then there are the borderline-unfair jumps that need a reeaallly precise takeoff to hit anything except a death pit, which can be... challenging with the squirrelly controls, at least on PS3.

I'm saving the galaxy with my pal Shepard right now, but I do still need more SSX after that's done. Here's hoping that we get some fun and sunny (why are half of the tracks DARK aaghasdfasdfa) DLC in the future.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Damn it all my global events were locally erased again, what the hell is wrong with this game. this is really killing my fun. All I do is enter high-roller events and now I cant retry any of them for fear of wasting my money again.I got an idea! I just wont play for a week until all my current evenst cash out so I avoid wasting credits twice... <_<You've done it EA, you've involuntarily killed my replay value of SSX... by making me have to not play your game due to client side sync issues that should've been fixed in QA.

Had this happen to a friend. He removed a rival from showing after which progress was wiped.

Related to that bug EA mentioned about not to remove rivals or friends from your friends lists perhaps?

Had this happen to a friend. He removed a rival from showing after which progress was wiped.

Related to that bug EA mentioned about not to remove rivals or friends from your friends lists perhaps?

I am eventually planning to remove people from my friends list lol, what actually happens if you do? Everything gets wiped? Sounds pretty stupid!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am eventually planning to remove people from my friends list lol, what actually happens if you do? Everything gets wiped? Sounds pretty stupid!

Something about RiderNet not syncing back up properly after a Rival/Friend's removal from your lists causing your progress to appear as 0 to you locally. Forces you to re-buy into GE drops and so forth even if you're already participating in them. Not sure if it has any other side effects than that. EA has cautioned that one shouldn't remove people until they push out the patch to fix the problem. Obviously this can happen if you're on the receiving end of a 'friend removal' as well as on the other (doesn't happen all the time obviously, otherwise there'd be more of a stink about it I would think).

Edit:Cuban Legend, these are the events you're in at the moment:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nah, it has happened to me too, and I haven't done those things. To me it happened (twice) after having logged out from PSN and then in again, while in the game. BAM, Global Events gone.

cbodom

^^^ all the previous posts x10000

huge fan of ssx since ps2 launch
just want the forgiving jump friendly ssx with painted snow and colors

-if you must crevasse/cave/pitch black tracks save it for the few "hard" peak courses
-bottom of hills could be wonderful festival! tracks, buildings, colors, life! fun. = variety
-select resets us back on track with time/tricky penalty.. i dont want to rewind if im just chillin
-ssx is music oriented to some - fix the restarting of music/add a jukebox feature (dpad?)

please listen to us ea waaaaaaaaa

balddemon

Banned
Guys add me my dad likes to change the internet settings all the time for whatever reason.....hopefully I'll get them back today lol

Psn: TheHaighter

I feel the same way. When the game is good, it's some of the best SSX in the series. When it's bad, I never want to play it again. It's just so damn inconsistent - like it was developed by two separate teams at two different times.

This is how I feel as well.

I finished the deadly descents within a couple days, and since then I haven't touched the game. I'm sure I'll return to it eventually, but it certainly didn't grab me like the previous games, and that was directly tied to the unfun track designs.

In the days after the game came out people were all like "Oh, if you don't like the deadly descents you can just play the other modes, and everything will be fine".

Well no, because the same shitty tracks still exist in the other modes, along with their stupid equipment requirements. THAT is the problem.

Clearly this development team didn't get it, and thought they knew how to make a "better" SSX game, and they were wrong. They were wrong from the get go, and the fans called them out on it, but unfortunately they didn't want to completely change directions. They just went halfway, and all the crap we don't like is what was left over from their original vision.

I'm hopeful they'll get to make a sequel though, because maybe listen to fan feedback and correct their mistakes.

This is how I feel as well.

I finished the deadly descents within a couple days, and since then I haven't touched the game. I'm sure I'll return to it eventually, but it certainly didn't grab me like the previous games, and that was directly tied to the unfun track designs.

In the days after the game came out people were all like "Oh, if you don't like the deadly descents you can just play the other modes, and everything will be fine".

Well no, because the same shitty tracks still exist in the other modes, along with their stupid equipment requirements. THAT is the problem.

Clearly this development team didn't get it, and thought they knew how to make a "better" SSX game, and they were wrong. They were wrong from the get go, and the fans called them out on it, but unfortunately they didn't want to completely change directions. They just went halfway, and all the crap we don't like is what was left over from their original vision.

I'm hopeful they'll get to make a sequel though, because I think they'll listen to fan feedback and correct their mistakes.

It's so weird to read these kinds of posts and then go back to the game literally daily and play more.

As someone who adored every original SSX game I find it borderline offensive to claim that the dev team didn't "get it" when designing this game as it implies that I played the original SSX games "wrong".

Top Bottom