• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Fixed1979

I disagree. They wanted to push the series forward rather than playing it safe and do exactly what the fans wanted. I'm thankful they did that. Sure, some people don't like it, but if you pay attention to certain aspects of the game's design, I think you'll have a better understanding of the developer's intentions.

Network connections are much faster and more of any game's install base is using the internet to connect these days. The new SSX game acknowledges that and takes full advantage of it. If anything, this allows for much more difficult track design. Why? Because the community teaches each other how to play and how to constantly improve. (Ghost data!) In speaking with some of the developers, this (and some of the more punishing runs like One Step Ahead) is where Demon's Souls had a large influence on SSX. Ghost data in Demon's Souls would let you know what NOT to do. Ghost data in SSX teaches you EXACTLY what to do.

This game isn't really meant for the people who want to have an isolated experience that hinges on single player or enjoyment of window dressings such as zany characters or a fun atmosphere. This is a game that's really been purposed for the community of hardcore SSX players who exist, in the space of SSX, to destroy each other's records. Is this sort of scope a fault in their design? I think it is because many people (who aren't part of this competitive loop) don't enjoy what they're doing with this new game. But for the people who latch onto the competitive nature of SSX and or already exist within the long-time hardcore SSX community, it's wonderful.

Just my two cents. I don't think you're wrong in what you're saying, but to say that the developers don't get it is arguable. I don't think this is a perfect game (O2 DD, hello!) but I think there's a lot of awesome stuff in this game.

@jetsetfluken: I think a lot of your criticisms would go a great distance in fleshing out RiderNet 2.0. Really great ideas. I think that the sequel to SSX2012 (fingers crossed) will feature lots of what you're speaking about.

Really?

You can push the series forward without having to go in the direction they did, all the while still giving the fans what they wanted. All your points are about community and having other people help make you better. There's no reason they couldn't have created this community without without fucking up the SSX formula. I spent some serious time with friends taking turns while sitting around the TV and making each other better in the old SSX games. They didn't need to have you fall into a hole or wear a wingsuit/headlamp/armor to make it more more "challenging", to post the highest score, or to run the fastest time. I know you're a big SSX fan and for that reason I have a hard time believing that you actually feel this way because it's quite clear that they didn't make this for the SSX community, they made it in spite of the SSX community. I really hope we get to see another SSX again, and I hope that Batty or whomever wants to take credit for "pushing the series forward" isn't anywhere near it.

red731

I was afraid of Antarctica because of shadows...
I love Antarctica now.

I know that we know about the 2w event to get us PS3 players the 50k badge, but if we get there even on 360! +++

Alps - Vorassay - Beyond the Fall - Trick It!
Go to Beyond the Fall where we will be running the longest Global Event yet - an epic 2 week event! Our goal is to break 50,000 riders for this event so those who join can get the badge for this achievement. As an added motivation, if we hit 50,000 on both 360 and PS3, we will release the ability to level your riders up to 11 and a whole new collection of awesome Level 11 gear to go with it! So message all your friends and get them to join now - best of all it's free to enter!

daycru

I love SSX. I fucking hate this game. Maybe video games as a concept are just passing me by, have less than zero interest in Rider Net or connecting to the Internet in games in anyway other than buying XBLA games. I just feel drowned in information and jargon and none of it is fun. Glad I didn't buy this.

I'm going to be honest: RiderNet is no fun when you're the only one on your friends list playing it. They should have invested in a Rivals system, where you could invite people to your Ridernet like most recent opponents and Geotag thieves. I frown when I see that I'm the only one on my feed that has "set a score on this track, etc".

Ridernet 2.0 needs a better interface. It also keeps recommending me the same thing over and over again. If I see Race on Zombies with Jetpacks one more time...

Codeblew

I'm going to be honest: RiderNet is no fun when you're the only one on your friends list playing it. They should have invested in a Rivals system, where you could invite people to your Ridernet like most recent opponents and Geotag thieves. I frown when I see that I'm the only one on my feed that has "set a score on this track, etc".

Don't they have that sort of already? I have people I can invite that are not on my friends list. I think it is friends of friends. Also, if you want competition, hit the OP and add people from the list there. If you are on PSN, add Midboss. I have a few good scores but I have about 25 people playing this game on my friends list so it is a constant competition.

Nyx

They should have invested in a Rivals system, where you could invite people to your Ridernet like most recent opponents and Geotag thieves. I frown when I see that I'm the only one on my feed that has "set a score on this track, etc".

You can already invite everyone who are on the scoreboard after a GE ?

Zanosuke

I now own all Race It events in both Chomo Lonzo and Makalu. Gonna savor it while it lasts.

edit: Now I own all of the Himalayas.

Damn u! = p

May I ask which character and EQ you are using during race-events? Is there a measurable difference between a character with +5 boost and another with 15+? I'm using Zoe at lvl 10 but I'm thinking about leveling up another char with better boost stats if that makes a small difference..and of course, finding better lines : )

Damn u! = p

May I ask which character and EQ you are using during race-events? Is there a measurable difference between a character with +5 boost and another with 15+? I'm using Zoe at lvl 10 but I'm thinking about leveling up another char with better boost stats if that makes a small difference..and of course, finding better lines : )

This! I just don't know enough about what that 10 difference does to bother ranking up another character, but if it makes a significant difference I would switch characters immediately.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I use the chick with +15 speed because it feels like she is just that little bit faster. I hope she is because I spent 2 mil on the ME3 board for her!

Hale-XF11

I've been using my lvl 10 Elise for all race events. I don't know if the stat perks matter once you reach lvl 10 or not, but I use her anyways. I have the ME boards, so those help, plus I buy the best wingsuit and boost mods that money can buy. If you know you're gonna be flying a lot, make sure you have good air speed on that wingsuit mod.

Don't they have that sort of already? I have people I can invite that are not on my friends list. I think it is friends of friends. Also, if you want competition, hit the OP and add people from the list there. If you are on PSN, add Midboss. I have a few good scores but I have about 25 people playing this game on my friends list so it is a constant competition.

I have it on 360 but I think when you add them, it takes you straight to a Friend Request. I don't know. Could be wrong. I'll look more into it today.

SadAli

Neo Member
I've been using my lvl 10 Elise for all race events.

Same here, I settled early on her for race events and Eddie for trick events and have just stuck with them even though they're both maxed out. I tend to choose other characters for survival events where those tricks and speed stats aren't relevant just to mix it up a bit and to revive the satisfaction of levelling up.

Hale-XF11

Same here, I settled early on her for race events and Eddie for trick events and have just stuck with them even though they're both maxed out. I tend to choose other characters for survival events where those tricks and speed stats aren't relevant just to mix it up a bit and to revive the satisfaction of levelling up.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I do, but since I don't have Eddie (*grumble*) I use Mac instead. I'm sure once I get the other characters all leveled up, I"ll mix it up a bit and start using them for competing too.

edit: Apparently EA is gonna release the ability to level up your character to 11 if enough players participate in a particular global event. From their FB page:

Go to Beyond the Fall where we will be running the longest Global Event yet - an epic 2 week event! Our goal is to break 50,000 riders for this event so those who join can get the badge for this achievement. As an added motivation, if we hit 50,000 on both 360 and PS3, we will release the ability to level your riders up to 11 and a whole new collection of awesome Level 11 gear to go with it! So message all your friends and get them to join now - best of all it's free to enter!

Oh man I've got almost everyone up to 10, I don't want to have to level them all up one more time. >=(

Plus level 11 stuff will just be that much more expensive, and increase the gulf between the performance of new players and experienced players.

Hale-XF11

It'll also render all of our current best scores obsolete. If you're proud of all you've worked for up until now, you'll have to do it all over again to compete with lvl 11 players. I guess I can live with that, but do we really need this game to be even faster and trickier than it already is? Hopefully they cap it at 11 for good.

It'll also render all of our current best scores obsolete. If you're proud of all you've worked for up until now, you'll have to do it all over again to compete with lvl 11 players. I guess I can live with that, but do we really need this game to be even faster and trickier than it already is? Hopefully they cap it at 11 for good.

This is my problem with a levelling system for this game in general. Characters should all have the same base stats but have aesthetic customization. With the level of variance between characters, perks, mods, equipment and board stats this game has lost its competitive luster for me (feels like gameplay is secondary to knowing which load out to pick). I do want faster boards though, so now that the damage is done, im looking forward to seeing just how far they can push it in terms of speed and tricky.

JaseMath

This is ridiculous - SSX doesn't need to go to 11. How 'bout they temp us with a patch or DLC? That's more tantalizing to me than needlessly upping a level cap.

This is ridiculous - SSX doesn't need to go to 11. How 'bout they temp us with a patch or DLC? That's more tantalizing to me than needlessly upping a level cap.

Great now we can't get LVL11 Mass effect boards... :(

And I can only imagine how long it will take to level up from 10 to 11... oh God, why?

Just played a bit for the first time in a week or so. Did some global events (yes, Beyond the fall trick it/race it was among them) and a couple of quick explore drops. Played One Step Ahead for the first time, what an ungodly piece of shit. Now I haven't played even half of the drops yet, but One Step Ahead and Sentinel are just the worst. You can't go fast and you can't do big airs. Where's the fun in that?

I actually thought the Deadly Descents was a neat idea, and rock, ice, avalanche, trees and shadow/sun proved to be entertaining. But while the wingsuit in itself is great the survive it tracks for it are just horrid.

soultron

Banned
Increasing the level cap is a solution to a problem no one has, just seems silly to me.

I think it's done to renew competition, if you ask me. As far as race events, once someone maxes out the optimal line, that's hypothetically all that can be done. Races can be done faster now.

In survive events, let's use the best level 10 headlamp and say it lasts you 2 runs. It might be the case that a headlamp that lasts 3 runs might increase the top distance. (Even though track memorization allows a lot of pure darkness runs to be completed.)

I think it's done to renew competition, if you ask me. As far as race events, once someone maxes out the optimal line, that's hypothetically all that can be done. Races can be done faster now.

In survive events, let's use the best level 10 headlamp and say it lasts you 2 runs. It might be the case that a headlamp that lasts 3 runs might increase the top distance. (Even though track memorization allows a lot of pure darkness runs to be completed.)

I understand that, I just can't imagine it's anything anyone's been clamoring for and ultimately will just be a nuisance (at least for me) ranking everyone up again just to be able to compete. Just my two cents.

soultron

Banned
I understand that, I just can't imagine it's anything anyone's been clamoring for and ultimately will just be a nuisance (at least for me) ranking everyone up again just to be able to compete. Just my two cents.

I only have 1 character at level 10 so far. Haha. I'm certainly in no rush either.

You can retry it as many times as you like. If you back out to the "Globe" and re-enter it you have to pay again.
no you do not have to pay again even if you back out to the Globe once you have already paid the first time.

you only have to repay if you encounter teh glitch where you cannot locally see your global events status. which doesnt happen often, but is annoying when it does because even though you still get payed , you cant tell if you competed in a global event yet.

balddemon

Banned
wow too much games to play

first this
then i started playing realm of the mad god, which sucked at first but is now fun
and then gow 1,2,3 came in the mail...and i started those today.
also still have to beat the gow clone, darksiders.

what to do T_T

Only 3 characters left to get up to level 10... Now I just don't feel like even bothering. I think I need to give this game a day or two off. Very annoyed by the news of the level cap raise.

JaseMath

Anyway to get a drop cost refunded? I'd rather have the ME board rather than a global event. Haven't competed in the event - waiting for a reply.

Top Bottom