• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

It's so weird to read these kinds of posts and then go back to the game literally daily and play more.

As someone who adored every original SSX game I find it borderline offensive to claim that the dev team didn't "get it" when designing this game as it implies that I played the original SSX games "wrong".

It implies you played the original games wrong? I don't understand.

I think after spending a lot of time with this game over the past few weeks I've gotten to a point where I don't play the "Deadly Descent" peaks anymore, and just do runs on the "Event" peaks that have few to no bottomless pits. I find SSX is at its best with Speed, big air, and Tricks. Flying off into a pit is such a giant momentum killer (and a total buzz-kill).

Fixed1979

Well you're hypothesizing that the developers abandoned what SSX was really about. As an SSX fan, if I like this new game, so did I.

Tautologically, at least.

It could be that your taste changed. The original SSX is over 11 years old and there are really only a few similarities left between what we started with and where we are now.

Anyway, I took about a week or so off just to kind of chill out a bit a bit. Came back last night and did strictly racing events which is the opposite of what I bought the game for. Played it on my HMZ-T1 for the first time as well and I actually enjoyed myself. Shocking! I did happen to stumble across mostly death pit free tracks, but I even did some armor race run which I did have some fun with. I'm going to try to ease myself back into it and stay away from tricks for a little bit as that part of the game was really frustrating to me (I hate the combo system). I don't think I'll ever agree that's it's a "good" SSX game but it's passable and playable (for the most part).

Something about RiderNet not syncing back up properly after a Rival/Friend's removal from your lists causing your progress to appear as 0 to you locally. Forces you to re-buy into GE drops and so forth even if you're already participating in them. Not sure if it has any other side effects than that. EA has cautioned that one shouldn't remove people until they push out the patch to fix the problem. Obviously this can happen if you're on the receiving end of a 'friend removal' as well as on the other (doesn't happen all the time obviously, otherwise there'd be more of a stink about it I would think).

Edit:Cuban Legend, these are the events you're in at the moment:

Hey thanks man, you're the best, seriously. :) Now i can play in GEs without going into currently active ones twice! :D

I'll be writing down the GE's I enter/bracket/winnings from now on until they fix this.

Well you're hypothesizing that the developers abandoned what SSX was really about. As an SSX fan, if I like this new game, so did I.

Tautologically, at least.

That's quite a leap you're taking there.

I'm not hypothesizing. If you go back and play any of the previous SSX games right now, you'll immediately notice a wealth of changes, and you'll see far less "danger" on the courses of those games. Far fewer dangerous passages to navigate on each course, and no dark caves that require flashlights.

Frankly, I'm surprised I even have to explain this to anyone who has played the previous games.

No one is suggesting people can't like this new game, but please don't suggest that we're wrong for thinking the game has gone in a new direction this time, because it clearly has.

MMaRsu

Banned
That's quite a leap you're taking there.

I'm not hypothesizing. If you go back and play any of the previous SSX games right now, you'll immediately notice a wealth of changes, and you'll see far less "danger" on the courses of those games. Far fewer dangerous passages to navigate on each course, and no dark caves that require flashlights.

Frankly, I'm surprised I even have to explain this to anyone who has played the previous games.

No one is suggesting people can't like this new game, but please don't suggest that we're wrong for thinking the game has gone in a new direction this time, because it clearly has.

I think BB gets this, but what he's saying is that he still loves the game despite those nasty tracks being in there. I've avoided some tracks ( like mt fuji which is straight up ass ) and Africa. Aside from that I'm having major fun with the game, and my only previous experience with SSX is SSX Tricky.

I love the trick events the most, but nothing beats finding a great shortcut and jumping to the top of your friends list for said event in race events..

I think BB gets this, but what he's saying is that he still loves the game despite those nasty tracks being in there. I've avoided some tracks ( like mt fuji which is straight up ass ) and Africa. Aside from that I'm having major fun with the game, and my only previous experience with SSX is SSX Tricky.

I love the trick events the most, but nothing beats finding a great shortcut and jumping to the top of your friends list for said event in race events..

And it sounded like he wasn't saying "different" direction he was saying "wrong".

And it sounded like he wasn't saying "different" direction he was saying "wrong".

I do think it's the wrong direction for this franchise, which is why you're seeing so much displeasure with the game in this thread.

This franchise has never been about "deadly descents", and bottomless pits. It's never been about equipment, like oxygen tanks, "armor", and "pulse goggles". It's never been about dark caves that require headlamps for visibility.

None of that stuff was a plus to the franchise, and the game is still mostly fun in spite of those things. That's why I'm hoping they make another game, because if they just remove all that crap we'll have something fantastic on our hands.

Since you seem to be going at this point, I'll just note that all of the above is MY OPINION. So when I so it's "wrong for the franchise", I'm speaking for myself, but I do know there are a fair number of people who feel the same way.

I do think it's the wrong direction for this franchise, which is why you're seeing so much displeasure with the game in this thread.

This franchise has never been about "deadly descents", and bottomless pits. It's never been about equipment, like oxygen tanks, "armor", and "pulse goggles". It's never been about dark caves that require headlamps for visibility.

None of that stuff was a plus to the franchise, and the game is still mostly fun in spite of those things. That's why I'm hoping they make another game, because if they just remove all that crap we'll have something fantastic on our hands.

Since you seem to be going at this point, I'll just note that all of the above is MY OPINION. So when I so it's "wrong for the franchise", I'm speaking for myself, but I do know there are a fair number of people who feel the same way.

Oh for sure. I mean, I don't really have a dog in this fight. My Friends/Rivals list is fit to bursting with regular players and it looks like the game has had a pretty solid debut so I really couldn't care less if some people are disappointed with it, as long as I have a solid community who's into it and more iterations to come.

My main concern with your comments was mostly due to misconception.

razielim

I've been having fun with the game but I'd agree that the level design is horrible in some instances. The whole death pits everywhere levels are just frustrating all hell. Having to go blind in to some jumps or around certain corners should not result in screwing your run that's just dumb. I love tough platformers and I love SSX, I however do not love when the two come together. Spending more time in the load screen than playing the game while trying to beat a rivals time and or score is just silly. You can tell which levels were completed after the fan complaints and which were done already because there are levels that play like old SSX and some that play like pitfall. I just want to go wild on the levels where my punishment is I'm not going to have the highest score of fastest time and not having to rewind out blind death pits till I have to restart the level...

Attention PS3 people who want to get all the Badges/Trophies in SSX...

As you guys may know, PS3 was shafted out of the 50,000 Global Event riders badge (Bandwagon) due to Sony doing a downtime just around before it hit 50,000.

The devs have now put up a 2 week event, most likely so we have time to get to 50,000.

Go to Alps -> Vorassay -> Beyond the Fall (Race It) and (Trick It) under Global Events. Do runs , try to beat the scores and spread the word.

dkeane

I've been having fun with the game but I'd agree that the level design is horrible in some instances. The whole death pits everywhere levels are just frustrating all hell. Having to go blind in to some jumps or around certain corners should not result in screwing your run that's just dumb. I love tough platformers and I love SSX, I however do not love when the two come together. Spending more time in the load screen than playing the game while trying to beat a rivals time and or score is just silly. You can tell which levels were completed after the fan complaints and which were done already because there are levels that play like old SSX and some that play like pitfall. I just want to go wild on the levels where my punishment is I'm not going to have the highest score of fastest time and not having to rewind out blind death pits till I have to restart the level...

Exactly how I feel. Its also annoying that sometimes the death pits look like a big jump because of the insane height some real jumps have.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nah, it has happened to me too, and I haven't done those things. To me it happened (twice) after having logged out from PSN and then in again, while in the game. BAM, Global Events gone.
As I mentioned, it can happen if someone on your friends list does it towards you, eg. removes you as a rival, even if just temporarily.

Hey thanks man, you're the best, seriously. :) Now i can play in GEs without going into currently active ones twice! :D

I'll be writing down the GE's I enter/bracket/winnings from now on until they fix this.

No probs. :)

iFootball

... the whole "rewind" feature is just pointless... if you're trying to compete with the top scorers (and in some cases even only trying to beat "Gold" in Explore-mode)... once you're in a death pit it make no sense to rewind at all...

Don't get me wrong, I looooove what SSX brings to me as a Video-game
so much that just like others, I've spent HOURS playing it
but, since the only way to beat a top score is by making a absolute perfect-run.. I'm spending more time restarting than playing...

My two cents about the game:

Worst feature : Death-pits
Unnecessary feature : Rewind​

So... to EA DEVs:... when level design works or has a nice "fluidity" (aka: Serenity) it's pure bliss... even if I screw-up my current run in a jump or two, there's still chance I'll get an acceptable score/time so... I don't restart... I keep going down the mountain to see what's my final score = More playtime with an awesome game!

Edit: I will agree though... that some of the high-mountain/more-vertical levels that make good use of the Wing-suit are also quite fun... lot's of speed, huge jumps, etc... for those, I kinda agree that death-pits are an unavoidable factor (since you're way up on a cliff!)..

Attention PS3 people who want to get all the Badges/Trophies in SSX...

As you guys may know, PS3 was shafted out of the 50,000 Global Event riders badge (Bandwagon) due to Sony doing a downtime just around before it hit 50,000.

The devs have now put up a 2 week event, most likely so we have time to get to 50,000.

Go to Alps -> Vorassay -> Beyond the Fall (Race It) and (Trick It) under Global Events. Do runs , try to beat the scores and spread the word.

Any idea if anything similar is running on the Xbox, cant check myself at the moment unfortunately.

... the whole "rewind" feature is just pointless... if you're trying to compete with the top scorers (and in some cases even only trying to beat "Gold" in Explore-mode)... once you're in a death pit it make no sense to rewind at all...

Don't get me wrong, I looooove what SSX brings to me as a Video-game
so much that just like others, I've spent HOURS playing it
but, since the only way to beat a top score is by making a absolute perfect-run.. I'm spending more time restarting than playing...

So... to EA DEVs:... when level design works or has a nice "fluidity" (aka: Serenity) it's pure bliss... even if I screw-up my current run in a jump or two, there's still chance I'll get an acceptable score/time so... I don't restart... I keep going down the mountain to see what's my final score = More playtime with an awesome game!

Edit: I will agree though... that some of the high-mountain/more-vertical levels that make good use of the Wing-suit are also quite fun... lot's of speed, huge jumps, etc... for those, I kinda agree that death-pits are an unavoidable factor (since you're way up on a cliff!)..

Some maps dont put death pits under the drops though, I just played a map which was wingsuit required but had plenty of drops that let you trick all the way down straight to ground. I forget the name but I wish there where more maps like it.

Sulaco

Too many of the levels feel like a weird combination of marble madness and super monkey ball. The exquisite level design of the old series is missing - when you messed up in those games you lost a little bit of time but stayed on the mountain. I've lost count the amount of times I've gone off the side of a narrow ridge (the old game had grind spots on the ridges) or down a blind death pit after a jump with not enough runway.

LaneDS

Some maps dont put death pits under the drops though, I just played a map which was wingsuit required but had plenty of drops that let you trick all the way down straight to ground. I forget the name but I wish there where more maps like it.

That's actually another problem in my eyes: sometimes you think you're going to be able to jump down to an area below, but nope, that area is actually a run-ending pit. Better luck next time!

Fixed1979

Too many of the levels feel like a weird combination of marble madness and super monkey ball. The exquisite level design of the old series is missing - when you messed up in those games you lost a little bit of time but stayed on the mountain. I've lost count the amount of times I've gone off the side of a narrow ridge (the old game had grind spots on the ridges) or down a blind death pit after a jump with not enough runway.

That's one of the biggest problem with the pits. If you're going for high score runs a mistake makes the run useless which means more restarting, which means more menus and loading and less fun. If you made a mistake in previous games you lost time which could very well cost you the run, but you could also hit that rail that you've always missed further down and allow you to still beat your time.

Agree about death pits. Rewind isn't bad in theory, just in implementation. In races against the AI, particularly in WT, your opponents shouldn't keep moving forward as you rewind.

Rewinds are also crucial to geotag hunting, which is my bread and butter these days. I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

I've found some very nice places to hide GeoTags on a few tracks, but once you get all the badges and don't really need money, I think the fun is more in finding other people's tags. If only for the message they get on their screen "xxx has found your GeoTag".

Anyone ever get GeoTag hate mail (after you collected theirs)?

Minamu

Oh wow, I REALLY need help with Race it events in Explore mode in general. Even at lvl 9-10 with the Swede and as close to constant boost, I get beaten by the Gold AI 9 out of 10 times on most courses. What am I doing wrong? Wrong path I suppose, but anything else? I try to hold the combos with circle, maybe that's slowing me down? As of now, I'm sticking to trick it as I hate the frustration of being 0.4 seconds behind the gold all the time.

True... although maybe it should be a game-mode of itself... part of a new Chill-out mode.. right?... right?? :)

Yeah, originally thought Explore was going to be this.
SSX3-like exploration from top to bottom of the mountain (with varying paths/routes)...except this time with many mountains. That is what I thought SSX 2012 would do.

The biggest problem with SSX 2012 is that it feels like a "score attack" level select with no feeling of a world or hub like SSX3 did.

I would have loved to start at the summit of each peak and take different routes however I please down to the bottom, instead of via a menu level select screen, with guilt added to you if you're not competing for scores.

The other problem is that the levels constantly push you downhill with little control or choices of splitting paths/routes, just downhill in a semi-linear path when it comes down to it. Many narrow spaces with little "big air" opportunities, most levels except 1-3 ranges filled with death pits that punish you for experimenting with different jump angles.

Hell, I've explored some levels from top to bottom and in turn was punished with a terrible score/time because that's the only thing the game knows.

And sure the character design lacks personality (to be more in tune with a more realistic atmosphere of this game), but the biggest problem there is that it doesn't really matter who you use, because for such a community focused game, nobody even knows what character you used. The ghosts go far too fast for anyone to notice as well. There's no way to tell the world/my friends "I'm a Moby guy". With a roster of many returning series staple favorites, it's a shame others can't rep their top SSX pick that they've used over the years since the early 2000s.
This and the lack of true character customization like SSX3 had (not stupid custom characters, but customizing the roster with new shirts, accessories JUST like in SSX3 would have been incredible). And of course with the additional online functionality this gen gives us, give us some kind of way of showing that off, via a "player profile" with most used character(s), let us see the current customized roster character we've set, stats, etc.
Basically, the problem here is that the only "existence" you have is scores/times on a leaderboard, and it's a shame it wasn't extended to examples I made above.

Things like this are what I hope EA Canada recognizes for the next SSX game (I believe this sold pretty solid to warrant another one, this time with no huge mis-steps like On Tour or Blur were...I think we are on the path to a continuous SSX evolution after the devs look over what they did right and wrong with SSX 2012).

True... although maybe it should be a game-mode of itself... part of a new Chill-out mode.. right?... right?? :)
YES

Until that happens the best thing to do is to make a custom global event, no AI assholes yelling at you, and no other players (except for friends, if they even see it.) Just you and the fresh pow pow.

Haha no not yet

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Rewind isn't bad in theory, just in implementation. In races against the AI, particularly in WT, your opponents shouldn't keep moving forward as you rewind.

I do not understand this. Why should the AI not move forward still?

I think the game would be quite a bit broken if you rewound the time also rewound. Causing everyone to make flawless runs, as if they make a mistake they can just rewind and correct it.

I do not understand this. Why should the AI not move forward still?

I think the game would be quite a bit broken if you rewound the time also rewound. Causing everyone to make flawless runs, as if they make a mistake they can just rewind and correct it.
I agree with you in multiplayer events but if you're just doing world tour how would it be any different than all the rewinds in games like Forza, Dirt, Grid etc?

iFootball

I try to hold the combos with circle, maybe that's slowing me down?

Yes, using circle or square keeps your combo, but definitely slows you down, so it's not worth it in Racing... you should rather look for flares, as these give you a little boost... keep your jumps short too... any time you inevitability spend in the air take advantage to build boost by tricking... definitely learn paths from the others ghosts!... not necessarily the AI, but from your friend-list

I would have loved to start at the summit of each peak and take different routes however I please down to the bottom, instead of via a menu level select screen, with guilt added to you if you're not competing for scores.

It's funny... although I like the idea of a long run downhill that takes quite a while, I was never a fan of that type of level selection/navigation... I'm more into the current model where I can just choose from a menu (or "globe") which run I want to do.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree with you in multiplayer events but if you're just doing world tour how would it be any different than all the rewinds in games like Forza, Dirt, Grid etc?

Ahh I agree with you in World Tour. I forgot that was totally single player.

soultron

Banned
Clearly this development team didn't get it, and thought they knew how to make a "better" SSX game, and they were wrong. They were wrong from the get go, and the fans called them out on it, but unfortunately they didn't want to completely change directions. They just went halfway, and all the crap we don't like is what was left over from their original vision.

I disagree. They wanted to push the series forward rather than playing it safe and do exactly what the fans wanted. I'm thankful they did that. Sure, some people don't like it, but if you pay attention to certain aspects of the game's design, I think you'll have a better understanding of the developer's intentions.

Network connections are much faster and more of any game's install base is using the internet to connect these days. The new SSX game acknowledges that and takes full advantage of it. If anything, this allows for much more difficult track design. Why? Because the community teaches each other how to play and how to constantly improve. (Ghost data!) In speaking with some of the developers, this (and some of the more punishing runs like One Step Ahead) is where Demon's Souls had a large influence on SSX. Ghost data in Demon's Souls would let you know what NOT to do. Ghost data in SSX teaches you EXACTLY what to do.

This game isn't really meant for the people who want to have an isolated experience that hinges on single player or enjoyment of window dressings such as zany characters or a fun atmosphere. This is a game that's really been purposed for the community of hardcore SSX players who exist, in the space of SSX, to destroy each other's records. Is this sort of scope a fault in their design? I think it is because many people (who aren't part of this competitive loop) don't enjoy what they're doing with this new game. But for the people who latch onto the competitive nature of SSX and or already exist within the long-time hardcore SSX community, it's wonderful.

Just my two cents. I don't think you're wrong in what you're saying, but to say that the developers don't get it is arguable. I don't think this is a perfect game (O2 DD, hello!) but I think there's a lot of awesome stuff in this game.

@jetsetfluken: I think a lot of your criticisms would go a great distance in fleshing out RiderNet 2.0. Really great ideas. I think that the sequel to SSX2012 (fingers crossed) will feature lots of what you're speaking about.

balddemon

Banned
Played the first SSX yesterday: I didn't hate it, but I've become so used to my character finishing tricks (started in 3 I believe) that it took a few races to get used to it again. Elysium Alps is still a PITA, as is Aloha Ice Jam. Actualy the only fun tracks were Merqury City Meltdown, Tokyo Megaplex, Pipedream, and Untracked. The others ... ugh. I loved using the old characters again though.

Also played some Tricky: this game is pretty much The Shit. Alaska is actually shit though. Otherwise, no gripes.

SSX 3: ....I used to think this was the GOAT of the series, but upon playing it again...it's pretty damn good. Not really a fan of the constant Monster Tricks, but that's cuz I suck at doing it. Also I hate that to get respectable times in races, you have to findt he wormholes or phonebooths and time select, etc. I hate that lol. HATE HATE HATE. Otherwise it's fun.

SSX 2012: This one is probably more fun. Looks better, rides a bit smoother imo ( could be I'm just used to it now), but the tricking is really easy. Doesn't stop me from raging at losing by 500k, which I manage to do so often. I also like how the combo system works, so no more constant 180'ing at the start of events :p

Minamu

Yes, using circle or square keeps your combo, but definitely slows you down, so it's not worth it in Racing... you should rather look for flares, as these give you a little boost... keep your jumps short too... any time you inevitability spend in the air take advantage to build boost by tricking... definitely learn paths from the others ghosts!... not necessarily the AI, but from your friend-list.
Alright cool, I'll try that out. Seeing some new tracks not found in WT have warmed me on the game again.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I put 400,000 into a drop and did not realize how shitty it was.Now im trying to get silver so i can salvage my funds. Damnit!!!

wow this drop sucks

Hale-XF11

I put 400,000 into a drop and did not realize how shitty it was.Now im trying to get bronze so i can salvage my funds. Damnit

haha, I have to laugh because that still happens to me on occasion. The track will load up and then all of a sudden I'm like, oh yeah, I hate this track.

I disagree. They wanted to push the series forward rather than playing it safe and do exactly what the fans wanted. I'm thankful they did that. Sure, some people don't like it, but if you pay attention to certain aspects of the game's design, I think you'll have a better understanding of the developer's intentions.

Network connections are much faster and more of any game's install base is using the internet to connect these days. The new SSX game acknowledges that and takes full advantage of it. If anything, this allows for much more difficult track design. Why? Because the community teaches each other how to play and how to constantly improve. (Ghost data!) In speaking with some of the developers, this (and some of the more punishing runs like One Step Ahead) is where Demon's Souls had a large influence on SSX. Ghost data in Demon's Souls would let you know what NOT to do. Ghost data in SSX teaches you EXACTLY what to do.

This game isn't really meant for the people who want to have an isolated experience that hinges on single player or enjoyment of window dressings such as zany characters or a fun atmosphere. This is a game that's really been purposed for the community of hardcore SSX players who exist, in the space of SSX, to destroy each other's records. Is this sort of scope a fault in their design? I think it is because many people (who aren't part of this competitive loop) don't enjoy what they're doing with this new game. But for the people who latch onto the competitive nature of SSX and or already exist within the long-time hardcore SSX community, it's wonderful.

Just my two cents. I don't think you're wrong in what you're saying, but to say that the developers don't get it is arguable. I don't think this is a perfect game (O2 DD, hello!) but I think there's a lot of awesome stuff in this game.

@jetsetfluken: I think a lot of your criticisms would go a great distance in fleshing out RiderNet 2.0. Really great ideas. I think that the sequel to SSX2012 (fingers crossed) will feature lots of what you're speaking about.

I love everything you mentioned. I do take issue with the UI design though. Ridernet is fantastic, but it seems like more traditional search tools and game navigation could help alongside it.

For example I wish I could see which global events im in more easily. The ticker that does tell me which ones im in doesn't tell me how long is left in them (just how long they last in general), so I have to go to them manually to view that information. Hopefully in the next game thats a none issue. Having a way to filter drops by cost/ payout without having to navigate the globe would also be fantastic. The ability to see projected payouts for the average player before committing would also be nice.

For a game which is so competitive more information would always be good, better stats tracking, badge's are a good start, but I want to know who my ghost beat, how many times and on which track. I want to know what character + tools my opponents who beat me are using. Theres a long way the game can go in displaying that stuff, it makes me giddy for Ridernet 2.0 but I am kind of suprised that stuff didnt make the cut this time round!

I rented this game from GameFly, and from what I've played, I definitely feel I wouldn't have got my money's worth if I actually bought this game at retail price.

SSX is a great game, but I wouldn't pay any more than $30 for it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ugh, I've been so busy over the last week or so that I haven't been able to play at all. I bet I have millions waiting for me to accept from Global Events. I'll have to at least boot it up before I head to work and collect my coin.

Cday

Banned

No but I really, really want to have this happen. Often on Survival runs I'll go for the ones that are in tough places as a kind of meta game. The problem is you can't really tell exactly what tag was collected.

Always do Practice Runs in explore before going HIGH-ROLLER STATUS, BROMANGO.

2 million drop cost? Never played it before? Possibility of EA Servers kicking you before you can post a score? LIVE IT UP

Stackboy

I don't get the gripes about the rewind feature. The devs said it's there just in case you are having a dream run and think you can salvage it. You still have the reset option so there's no loss. It doesn't detract from the gameplay.

Just a quick question too. When in Tricky mode, does tapping say A and then Y do a different trick than say just tapping Y? I thought I had it figured out but now I'm second guessing myself.

Hale-XF11

I now own all Race It events in both Chomo Lonzo and Makalu. Gonna savor it while it lasts.

edit: Now I own all of the Himalayas.

Top Bottom