• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

Goldmund

The show is starting to click for me. It's a shut-your-brain-off kind of show, a type I no longer enjoy much, but the production design and visual effects are really nice, the acting is nice, and most importantly: my fear of the show being a dystopian take on Star Trek where no-one sans Michael has a conscience or emotions and is just a black hole of hyper-competence dissipated. I still like no-one other than Michael but I have reason to believe that might change. If they get rid of paper-thin characters like the "follow orders to the letter" lady at an appreciable pace we will end up with an interesting crew quickly. Tilly next please.

Breqesk

Man, I would have prefered doing this over playing Destiny.

Quick recommendation for when you get to TNG, to help get by the first two seasons without wanting to stop watching the show:

Watch Farpoint, The Naked Now, Datalore, Skin of Evil, Q Who, and The Measure of a Man, then skip to season 3. You’ll introduce the characters, and the plot arcs that’ll actually be continued into the better seasons, while only having to suffer through a relatively small number of duff episodes, instead of almost two whole seasons’ worth.

Finishing on The Measure of a Man - the only good episode in TNG S1/2, though it is a bloody fantastic episode - will be a nice palette cleanser, and then you’ll be right in to the good stuff. It’s not like every episode after S03E01 is guaranteed to be great, but the show’s general quality took a huge leap with season 3, and it never got as bad as S1/2 again, even in the worst bits of Season 7, and at its high points I maintain that it’s the best televised science fiction that’s ever been produced.

TNG is, in my view, the best of the Star Trek shows, but those first two seasons are difficult to sit through in places. Of course, if you find yourself enjoying them, then go ahead and watch the lot—but equally, don’t let them put you off the rest of the show if they’re not really working for you.

Oh, and though it probably sounds kinda crazy to add even more Trek to your plate, I’d really, thoroughly recommend Deep Space 9 if you can find time for it. It’s a lot of people’s favourite Trek show, and for good reason.

Izuna

Banned
Quick recommendation for when you get to TNG, to help get by the first two seasons without wanting to stop watching the show:

TNG is, in my view, the best of the Star Trek shows, but those first two seasons are difficult to sit through in places. Of course, if you find yourself enjoying them, then go ahead and watch the lot—but equally, don’t let them put you off the rest of the show if they’re not really working for you.

Oh, and though it probably sounds kinda crazy to add even more Trek to your plate, I’d really, thoroughly recommend Deep Space 9 if you can find time for it. It’s a lot of people’s favourite Trek show, and for good reason.

I think if I do get to TNG I would have seen a lot thus far, but I'll remember your post, thanks.

gun_haver

My approach with the old Star Trek shows is just kind of dive in to whatever episode takes your interested, with the possible exception of DS9 because the back half of it (seasons 4-7) becomes pretty heavily serialised, although even then I started DS9 from the beginning and ended up skipping probably a couple dozen episodes because I knew they would bore me - ie anything to do with Bajor or it's religious figures.

With TNG, though, you can really just jump in at any point that isn't part 2 of an episode. That's one of the nice things about it, too. You can jump around the seasons and have more to watch for a long time, starting with the best stuff and then working your way down to the worst by the time you enjoy the world and characters enough that it almost doesn't matter whether the individual episode story is good or not.

I think it's encouraging many of us can get involved in a philosophy debate in regards to the events of a recent episode of this show. That in itself feels very Star Treky.

Agreed. It really does help that the series comes out weekly, so we actually have time to have such debates, but also at differing timescales. So we can judge the action at the moment itself, but also in the longterm consequences as the show pans out. Wouldn't work if all the episodes were out at once.

Jawin of youtube fame made a video asking: Is STAR TREK DISCOVERY Set in the Mirror Universe? | (Theory & Prediction)

To which we all know (my comment): No. This is 10 years before Kirk and the Mirror Universe diverged when Cochrane killed the first Vulcans that landed giving rise to the Terran Empire.

And his response: Your entire statement makes zero sense.

This and his follow up response made me think he's a bit of an asshole. But I suppose you might be defensive if you spent time making and editing a video that can be shot down in 2 seconds.

ivysaur12

Banned
Jawin of youtube fame made a video asking: Is STAR TREK DISCOVERY Set in the Mirror Universe? | (Theory & Prediction)

To which we all know (my comment): No. This is 10 years before Kirk and the Mirror Universe diverged when Cochrane killed the first Vulcans that landed giving rise to the Terran Empire.

This and his follow up response made me think he's a bit of an asshole. But I suppose you might be defensive if you spent time making and editing a video that can be shot down in 2 seconds.

I guess there's also a theory the divergence happened in City at the Edge of Forever someone mentioned once though none of that is canon.

Effect

True he could be defensive but he is a asshole. That's something that has shined through more and more as I've watched his reviews of the CW DC shows. Not lately though. He has a nasty streak about him. I think it's more obvious now because he does not like Discovery at all. To which I wonder why he's even bothering to try and review it.

The mirror theories though make no sense. There is no Federation there. They don't call themselves that and how mirror people act is very defined and no one on Discovery acts that way. All those videos are pointless.

EDIT: never mind, Effect's post clears up why it makes no sense for Discovery to be in the mirror universe given Napoleonthechimp's comment.

I figure the Mirror Universe has always been a separate universe, instead of one that diverged from the "prime" Trek universe. From what we saw in First Contact, Cochrane wasn't a murderous villain by any stretch, just a smart alcoholic trying to make a buck on post-apocalyptic Earth, so what we saw on Enterprise was just the Mirror Universe's version of the same event.

While I am loving this show I honestly don't know if its because I like it or just because I haven't had Star Trek on TV in years....this bothers me.

I have been keeping up with the show since episode 3. It's really getting better and better. I admit with the first episode, I felt the dialogue wasn't that great, but it's improved and I am having a blast watching. The cursing took me off guard too, at first I was like "wait...did she just say the f word?" and turns out I was right. Also that final scene freaked me out in episode 5. It was way too creepy.

What if instead of section 31 like some think it is actually mirror universe people trapped in the normal universe trying to find a way home?

Would be a twist on the normal take on the mirror stuff.

And I do think pulling off section 31 and Mirror stuff is a bit too much. You pick one. You dont do both.

SRG01

You can’t state any of this with any confidence until you actually know how it plays out.

My speculation is that
the mycellium network is the precursor to the transwarp conduit network, and the Borg was the first to 'mainstream' its usage.

I don't think there's necessarily a single point of divergence, just an overall warped mirror throughout time. Never different enough to be unrecognizable, never fully divergent.

In spite of people behaving wildly different and the expectation that this causes significantly different futures, the mirror universe always has a habit of running parallel. The NX-01 still happens with Archer in the Captain's chair. Kirk's Enterprise is still on a five year mission. Quark's Bar is still in business.

That's why it's the mirror universe and not the divergent universe. Of course the real reason for this is writer's conceit, it's more fun for us to see things we know. But in-universe, I view it more as something running parallel but askew than something that diverged at any one specific point. Sometimes it strays but it seems to always find its way back. I expect that prior to Cochrane there was also plenty of other alternative history. That was just depicting a key moment for the Terran Empire.

That's just my own take, though. Can't know for sure. And it's a much more worthwhile response than that bullshit you got from youtube.

I started watching Sunday, damn i like this show, it's not like the other Trek shows, I love the fact we are doing the Klingon War, and love how the Klingon's look...

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
It is one of the ”gray" spots from TOS that more recent lore has addressed, so you can consider Spock 1st Officer but he wasn't really at TOS.

Spock was straight-up Kirk's first officer in TOS. Check the episodes--Kirk refers to him as first officer, he refers to himself as first officer, McCoy calls him the first officer, the computer calls him first officer...he was first officer. No question.

Joeytj

Banned
What if instead of section 31 like some think it is actually mirror universe people trapped in the normal universe trying to find a way home?

Would be a twist on the normal take on the mirror stuff.

And I do think pulling off section 31 and Mirror stuff is a bit too much. You pick one. You dont do both.

Hmmm, maybe Lorca, but I still don't think they'll pull that trick. My guess is that most people turning to the Mirror theory are those not sold on the "ambiguous" morality of some of Discovery's crew or the show itself and simply because it's one of the few things we know about the rest of the season; that they're doing a Mirror Universe episode.

This was the best episode because there was no slow-ass alien language to waste time and ruin pacing.

Yeah. The klingon in here is a damn ear sore lol. They all sound like they have their mouths stuffed with food

Otherwise tho it's a fun show. Switching the focus a bit away from solely Michael is great too. I hope it continues that way. There shouldn't be solely one major protagonist in a trek show imo, always more fun when the crew gets it's due.

Captain Lorca was dope, hope he's in it for the long haul.

Spock was straight-up Kirk's first officer in TOS. Check the episodes--Kirk refers to him as first officer, he refers to himself as first officer, McCoy calls him the first officer, the computer calls him first officer...he was first officer. No question.

Hell, Spock being made into the First Officer is part of how he was kept on the show, in a bit of franchise production trivia. See, as it turns out Spock was apparently viewed warily by the executives because his pointed ears gave off a 'Satanic' look. They also didn't like that a woman was the second-in-command of the Enterprise ('Number One', no name given, played by Majel Barrett). They were willing to compromise with Roddenberry however, and allow him to keep one of these concepts, so long as he dropped the other. So, he kept Spock and made them the First Officer, while later marrying Majel.

AoM

I'm not seeing that comment chain. Was it removed?

Pluto

Hell, Spock being made into the First Officer is part of how he was kept on the show, in a bit of franchise production trivia. See, as it turns out Spock was apparently viewed warily by the executives because his pointed ears gave off a 'Satanic' look. They also didn't like that a woman was the second-in-command of the Enterprise ('Number One', no name given, played by Majel Barrett). They were willing to compromise with Roddenberry however, and allow him to keep one of these concepts, so long as he dropped the other. So, he kept Spock and made them the First Officer, while later marrying Majel.
That was a lie Roddenberry told, NBC liked the idea of a strong female first officer, they just didn't like Majel Barrett in the role because they didn't think she was a strong actress and they didn't want Roddenberry's mistress as a series lead. Recasting and keeping the female XO would have been no problem, it was Roddenberry's decision to drop Number One to not upset Majel with a recast and he then blamed the network for it.
There was some concern about Spock's look but the deal was that he'd get surgery to remove the pointed ears should the audience complain, there was no either ... or with him and Number One.
It was also NBC who requested minorities as part of the cast which led to Uhura and Sulu as bridge officers, something Roddenberry gladly took credit for.

That was a lie Roddenberry told, NBC liked the idea of a strong female first officer, they just didn't like Majel Barrett in the role because they didn't think she was a strong actress and they didn't want Roddenberry's mistress as a series lead. Recasting and keeping the female XO would have been no problem, it was Roddenberry's decision to drop Number One to not upset Majel with a recast and he then blamed the network for it.
There was some concern about Spock's look but the deal was that he'd get surgery to remove the pointed ears should the audience complain, there was no either ... or with him and Number One.
It was also NBC who requested minorities as part of the cast which led to Uhura and Sulu as bridge officers, something Roddenberry gladly took credit for.

Huh, interesting, haven't heard that take on things. Got any additional info on that?

Roddenberry sounded like bit of an ass at times, especially on that documentary about the making of TNG. He really didn't want Patrick Stewart.

I haven't read a lot on Roddenberry, but it seems like he took more credit for Star Trek being this super diverse, progressive show than he originally thought to make it.

I haven't read a lot on Roddenberry, but it seems like he took more credit for Star Trek being this super diverse, progressive show than he originally thought to make it.

Now of that I was somewhat aware, though accounts seem to suggest he was able to roll with it quickly, at least in the TOS days. That or Takei's memory really romanticises the development of Trek.

Pluto

Huh, interesting, haven't heard that take on things. Got any additional info on that?
I think I originally read it in Inside Star Trek: The Real Story by herbert Solow and robert Justman, a book that goes into detail about the production of the show, it includes old memos including one about the network wanting minority characters when they picked up the show. The casts of both pilots were very white.

Now of that I was somewhat aware, though accounts seem to suggest he was able to roll with it quickly, at least in the TOS days. That or Takei's memory really romanticises the development of Trek.
Takei wasn't involved in any decision making, he was a day player and ultimately minor character, he doesn't know much. He's also full of shit and loves to act like Shatner was a bad guy for acting like the show's lead when he was in fact the show's lead.

Effect

Yeah some of the history with Roddenberry is pretty interesting and kinda puts a different light on the desire by some to always wanting put him on a pedestal. He may have gotten the ball running but a lot of what Trek is and has become didn't all come from him. A LOT of of other people are responsible. I think it was said Gene Coon who was the main producer and writer also played perhaps a more significant role in why TOS turned out the way it did. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he suppose to be considered to Roddenberry what Bill Finger was to Bob Kane on Batman? I think I remember reading Shatner and Nimoy even suggested he was a very significant part of why Star Trek ended up being the Star Trek we knew.

Another reason why its annoying when people talk about Discovery and saying Roddenberry would be turning over in his grave in a attempt to bash it.. First you don't know what he'd like or dislike since his stance changed a lot over the years. Second who cares because a lot of what you like about Trek came from so many other people and without his input. .

There is a documentary on Netflix about the genesis and early season troubles of TNG that is fascinating if you want to learn about how much of a loon Roddenberry was.

Hmmm, maybe Lorca, but I still don't think they'll pull that trick. My guess is that most people turning to the Mirror theory are those not sold on the "ambiguous" morality of some of Discovery's crew or the show itself and simply because it's one of the few things we know about the rest of the season; that they're doing a Mirror Universe episode.

If I was doing it. I would maybe have some key character be the mirror versions who have assumed the lives of their starfleet versions and used that power to ... do stuff.

I dunno.

Really dont know where its going.

I think I originally read it in Inside Star Trek: The Real Story by herbert Solow and robert Justman, a book that goes into detail about the production of the show, it includes old memos including one about the network wanting minority characters when they picked up the show. The casts of both pilots were very white.

Takei wasn't involved in any decision making, he was a day player and ultimately minor character, he doesn't know much. He's also full of shit and loves to act like Shatner was a bad guy for acting like the show's lead when he was in fact the show's lead.

Will have to pick up that book. As to Takei, he's hardly the only one who had issues with Shatner - Nichelle Nichols is quite famous for her distaste of the man. Otherwise I was referring to stuff like his testimonies to first meetings of the cast where Roddenberry laid out the premise and all. Hence whatever else was going on behind the scenes, Roddenberry apparently rolled with the hand he was dealt.

From what I heard mostly
from sf debris
wasn't a lot of problem people they had with TNG was due to Roddenberry

By TNG Roddenberry seemingly had developed a more consistent, and as noted in this thread and elsewhere, somewhat retroactive idea of what Trek 'was'. Like there's a lot of moments in TOS that break from what you'd nominally expect of the series as so often espoused under 'Gene's vision', indicative of either:
A) His greater willingness to be flexible with the ideas of what that vision was
B) His lesser ability to dictate and control every aspect of the show and its production

While one of the more consistent lines from production details for early TNG is that of writers chafing under Roddenberry's insistence on given ideas. His declining health forced him to step away from the show prior to season 3, and along with the uniform changes, the uptick in the series is palpable.

Top Bottom