• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

golem

There are plenty of straight up telepathic species in Star Trek.. it probably manifests in Kelpians as a less developed form of that

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There are plenty of straight up telepathic species in Star Trek.. it probably manifests in Kelpians as a less developed form of that

I know, but at this point of time it was not established the creature is sentient, in fact Saru himself was pushing this aside. So I doubt this is a matter of telepathy. In fact, his valuation of Micheal before as dangerous was for all we know unlikely to be based on her thoughts.

golem

I know, but at this point of time it was not established the creature is sentient, in fact Saru himself was pushing this aside. So I doubt this is a matter of telepathy. In fact, his valuation of Micheal before as dangerous was for all we know unlikely to be based on her thoughts.

For Saru it seems more like a passive ability, maybe like a background scan of potentially hostile or chaotic brain waves. If that were so I would guess that his ganglia deploying for Michael was probably based on his personal experiences and general dislike of her brain waves. Or maybe something else entirely. I think we'll hear more about it later

The issue with Saru is he was clearly trying to emulate Lorca and not play to his own strengths, which lead him to carry out some questionable decisions. Saru basically strikes me as a jobsworth who is too bound to the structures of whatever captain he is serving under rather than using his own intuition, which in my view makes him currently unfit for the job. One of the main roles of the first officer is to give feedback on decisions and not just follow orders. Look at Riker and Kira (hell even Voyager) and you’ll see conflict between the top two over a lot of issues.

A streaming only show that has:

-Weekly releases
-Non american releases delayed by 7 hours
-Weird american practice of a winter break that's 2 month and artificially prolongs the season

Fuckin what !
It’s not really an artificial break to prolong the season.

They’re avoiding the holidays where people generally don’t watch regularly scheduled stories.

SFX takes a couple of months per episode. They just wrapped the finale last week. This lets them maintain quality.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
For Saru it seems more like a passive ability, maybe like a background scan of potentially hostile or chaotic brain waves. If that were so I would guess that his ganglia deploying for Michael was probably based on his personal experiences and general dislike of her brain waves. Or maybe something else entirely. I think we'll hear more about it later

This actually makes it seem less reasonable that Michael would use Saru to test the threat of the Tardigrade - she already knows that Saru's threat ganglia kicked off at her being on the ship when she believes herself to not be a threat so why would she trust what they say about the creature?

Edit: Just seen that Yoshi posted something very similar

bill0527

I've watched the first 4 episodes and I'm not really feeling it.

All of these characters are basically assholes. Not a likeable personality in the whole lot.

Also at this point, the Klingon-speak is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Not

Banned
I've watched the first 4 episodes and I'm not really feeling it.

All of these characters are basically assholes. Not a likeable personality in the whole lot.

Also at this point, the Klingon-speak is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Not liking ANY of the characters after 4 episodes??

But there are so many characters lol

I'm liking a few of the characters. the Klingon speech from these guys is indeed painful though. I swear to god I hear T'KUVMA one more time from these mush mouthed fools.....

bill0527

But Tilly...

Annoying.

And I'm not feeling Sonequa Martin Green in this role. She just seems very flat, very one note. I dunno, maybe my judgement is a little clouded by the intense dislike I'm starting to feel for most of the cast. They're either annoying or acting like a bag of dicks. No one is happy. Everyone is dour. Best Star Trek always had lighthearted human moments and I haven't seen that yet.

Not

Banned
Annoying.

And I'm not feeling Sonequa Martin Green in this role. She just seems very flat, very one note. I dunno, maybe my judgement is a little clouded by the intense dislike I'm starting to feel for most of the cast. They're either annoying or acting like a bag of dicks. No one is happy. Everyone is dour. Best Star Trek always had lighthearted human moments and I haven't seen that yet.

Tilly is happy. But that's cancelled out by her being annoying...?

DBT85

Annoying. .

star-trek-shut-up-wesley-reaction-gif-TNG-13995937890.gif

Martin Green is I think trying to be a human Vulcan because that's what she is. Spock was a Vulcan trying to understand his humanity. Being brought up by a Vulcan on Vulcan as a human would make me one note too I think. Her humanity is I guess part of what we're all going to see come together over time.

I've watched all the episodes so far and while like parts of it, this feels like trek-lite to me.

Also fuck Micheal, she is an asshole and deserves to be locked away in prison for constantly disobeying orders.. she is not even right when she does it, I have no sympathy for her.

wow even the monster looks the same

The issue isnt the similarities in the tardigrade, as those exist, the problem is that its almost a shot for shot of this guys ideas. This is a new low for Star Trek, and I am factoring in Janeway and Paris as lizards, and Africa planet from TNG in that dubious list.

gun_haver

Last episode did a lot to bring him up for me. Very humanizing moments between him putting himself in danger so the tardigrade wouldn't be injured and him sharing a sweet intimate moment with his boyfriend.

Yeah he was irrtating before but now we see that he has got both a moral backbone and a non-dickhead side, he comes off a lot better. I still don't love him but I'm curious to see more now.

Effect

He definitely needs to be talking to a lawyer. That's one hell of a "coincidence" w/ the concept.

Concept similarities happen all the time. Him trying to say his game has a black woman and Discovery stars a black woman as a comparison point is stupid though and reaching for link just because one thing seems similar.

On another topic.

Some images from NYCC regarding merchandise, including some shots of the Discovery ships that are being made.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/16/st...rom-eaglemoss-anovos-lootcrate-and-rock-love/

kirblar

Concept similarities happen all the time. Him trying to say his game has a black woman and Discovery stars a black woman as a comparison point is stupid though and reaching for link just because one thing seems similar.
Yeah, the character appearance part is reaching. (thought the plot similarity he mentions may not be.)

Effect

Seems like the consensus is that STD ripped off this guys game?

There is no consensus here. There is more to Star Trek Discovery then the tardigrade part and even then it is different from what he noted as a possible link. If he thinks he was ripped off though he should talk with an IP lawyer and see what they say. He would have to prove someone ripped off his idea (that they didn't arrive at it on their own based on other sources (which the writers of Discovery have talked about)) though beyond a few scenes that might have some similarities. Reaching for characters similarities in what is a diverse and growing cast isn't a good starting point though.

DBT85

If it were just that I'd agree, but it's hardly just that.

golem

This actually makes it seem less reasonable that Michael would use Saru to test the threat of the Tardigrade - she already knows that Saru's threat ganglia kicked off at her being on the ship when she believes herself to not be a threat so why would she trust what they say about the creature?

Logically speaking while she might not see herself as a threat to Saru she should be able to see his viewpoint in that her presence causes him alot of stress and does indeed threaten the normalcy of his existence. That would mean that there is a learned response component as well as an instinctual one which would make his ganglia even more valuable than a wild guess at something's intentions. From his race's experience as a prey species they have probably identified a variety of signals of hostile or merely unwelcome intentions.

sammex

Even if there is some similarity in the galaxy travelling tardigrade, the rest is grasping at straws. In Discovery the tardigrade is only the navigator too, they're able to jump without it. There's no mention of a mushroom network etc.

His black female character has red hair for one, and he thinks simply cos one of his main characters is the same race and gender that she is somehow related to Burnham. He mentions no other similarities.

He's also tried to compared a gay bearded middle eastern man with Wilson Cruz (Puerto Rican), and a character he later is imprisoned with who is a "very white blonde dude" with Anthony Rapp. Again, superficial similarities.

berzeli

Banned
This is a bit of an odd one.
http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

There's no actual allegation of plagarism, but it seems like a very big coincidence otherwise.
Yeah, no.

Tardigrades have been associated with space ever since they got sent into space and survived the vacuum
‘Water bears’ are first animal to survive space vacuum (2008)
[URL="https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-does-the-tiny-waterbear-survive-in-outer-space-30891298/"]
How Does the Tiny Waterbear Survive in Outer Space? (2012)[/URL]

They're not even strangers to sci-fi, Harbringer Down based their monsters on Tardigrades.

And having a black character or a gay couple are not really similarities unless they have the same personality. It's like saying that since Citizen Kane and Inception both stars humans Inception must be plagiarising.

I checked the videos, and the visuals are not as similar as they appear in the screenshots, the method in which they travel is different, and there doesn't seem to be any connections to spores.

Besides the single thing which is Tardigrades travelling in space there doesn't seem to be anything else that isn't just extremely superficially the same. And the idea of space travelling Tardigrades isn't unique enough to be able to definitely say that two different people to have thought of it.

It really is just a coincidence.

Sou Da

This was signal boosted by Mundane Matt, that should really tell you all you need to know about the intentions of this "concern of plagiarism".

LewieP

I didn't mean to suggest it was plagiarised, although I can see I wasn't particularly clear.

I just meant that the dev isn't actually alleging plagiarism, and it's not just one coincidence, but a few, which combine to make a big coincidence.

Coincidences happen.

Sou Da

I didn't mean to suggest it was plagiarised, although I can see I wasn't particularly clear.

I just meant that the dev isn't actually alleging plagiarism, and it's not just one coincidence, but a few, which combine to make a big coincidence.

Coincidences happen.

The character ones are a bit of a stretch to even be a coincidence tbh.

I've been letting the past couple episodes stew in my mind for the last week while I listen to reviews/podcasts that help to organize my thoughts.
I've realized that while the plot has picked up and most of the characters are becoming likable or interesting, there is one character I continue just to not give a shit about. And unfortunately it's the main character.

Georghiou was fine for as long as she was involved. Lorca isn't likable but he's a super fascinating driving force. Saru has been enjoyable from the start. Tilly is likable if maybe a little over the top sometimes. Stamets started a little rocky but he's improved.

Burnham is argumentative not just with enemies but also with friends, she's constantly dramatic with every sentence she speaks, consistently disregards everyone around her because she believes her judgement is factually superior, she uses people and her ego is through the roof.

I'm starting to lose interest in any redemption arc for her, if she fails she deserves it and she'll get no tears from me. I'd rather be following Saru around. I have more empathy for him than anyone else because Burnham keeps following him around starfleet. Shit must be frustrating.

Nah. Think about it. When you have a certain number of people in creative roles in a society there's bound to be a little overlap.

Yeah after looking at it more, it's nothing.

I've been letting the past couple episodes stew in my mind for the last week while I listen to reviews/podcasts that help to organize my thoughts.
I've realized that while the plot has picked up and most of the characters are becoming likable or interesting, there is one character I continue just to not give a shit about. And unfortunately it's the main character.

Georghiou was fine for as long as she was involved. Lorca isn't likable but he's a super fascinating driving force. Saru has been enjoyable from the start. Tilly is likable if maybe a little over the top sometimes. Stamets started a little rocky but he's improved.

Burnham is argumentative not just with enemies but also with friends, she's constantly dramatic with every sentence she speaks, consistently disregards everyone around her because she believes her judgement is factually superior, she uses people and her ego is through the roof.

I'm starting to lose interest in any redemption arc for her, if she fails she deserves it and she'll get no tears from me. I'd rather be following Saru around. I have more empathy for him than anyone else because Burnham keeps following him around starfleet. Shit must be frustrating.

So like a Vulcan

So like a Vulcan

Vulcan doesn't have to automatically mean asshole. We've seen Vulcans who obviously believe their way of life is superior, but still manage to treat others with respect. Spock was the king of subtle sass and he was likable as hell.

And besides, saying "she was raised by vulcans" may be true but doesn't make me like her any more.

I hope they start progressing her character forward a little more soon. I'm sure that's the plan but I want them to hit the gas a little. It's not much fun to keep disliking the main character.

Vulcan doesn't have to automatically mean asshole. We've seen Vulcans who obviously believe their way of life is superior, but still manage to treat others with respect. Spock was the king of subtle sass and he was likable as hell.

And besides, saying "she was raised by vulcans" may be true but doesn't make me like her any more.

I hope they start progressing her character forward a little more soon. I'm sure that's the plan but I want them to hit the gas a little. It's not much fun to keep disliking the main character.

I assume they are going to grow her out of the "Vulcan" personality as the show progresses, I mean it's only been 5 episodes and only 3 since the mutiny.

But remember it's only been 100 years since T'pol and the other vuclans were total dicks to humans, it took two seasons for T'pol to warm up to Archer (can't blame her either, Archer was a dick too)

ivysaur12

Banned
He definitely needs to be talking to a lawyer. That's one hell of a "coincidence" w/ the concept.

I've literally never seen this before, so no.

It's gross to go "they have a black woman and a gay couple, they plagiarised me."

The tardigrade thing on the other hand...

No.

I mean, if you want, I could tell you exactly how the tardigrade travel came to be, but it has nothing to do with some dude's game.

Kevin

There are millions of books, movies, tv shows, video games, etc so it's bound to happen from time to time where a story has similar elements from a story some where else. I've noticed in more recent years that the whole "plagiarism" thing has been happening more often. I feel like all of this is likely just a few coincidences and nothing more. I really doubt Star Trek Discovery ripped off someone's obscure video game. It just seems way to unlikely.

Moving on from that, I am excited for Star Trek: Discovery this week as the story continues to increasingly pick up it's pace and we now have a few new mysteries going on. :)

No.

I mean, if you want, I could tell you exactly how the tardigrade travel came to be, but it has nothing to do with some dude's game.

Would be a cool story if you want to share.

Top Bottom