• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

LordAlu

Bru said:
No problem - just send me a PM and I'll wing one over at warp speed ;-)

(Actually, forget the PM - I've sent the code over to you anyway)

Enjoy!
Wow, thanks Bru! Downloading the client now! :D

derFeef

Medalion said:
Respec :lol
Hm? I will use it immediatly because I have skilled into the blue (some things in this game are quite obscure) which ended in having the wrong skills for my science captain.

Walshicus

As much as I'm looking forward to - and expect - the Romulan faction being available next... I have to say I'm longing for a playable Dominion.

Bru

LordAlu said:
Wow, thanks Bru! Downloading the client now! :D

No problem at all :D At the least you can see if the game is for you - and if it turns out you like it, GAF Fleet is always happy to recruit!

glaurung

If anyone has a spare invite key, please PM.

I tried the open beta via EG giveaway and I was kind of torn whether to buy it (well, that and the fact that the pre-order bonuses were so weird-ass). I disliked the sluggish space combat and the little away team combat that I saw wasn't very impressive (in fact, it felt broken as hell), but I would like to see how they are progressing.

By the way, is there some number known of how many are playing atm?

Walshicus

My gods. I mean seriously, the Star Trek Online forums are full of awful awful people. Maybe it's because we have pretty decent moderation on GAF, and I'm a moderator myself on the only other forum I spend time on... but damn. If I had a ban button and just half an hour I could do a lot of good.

derFeef

Sir Fragula said:
My gods. I mean seriously, the Star Trek Online forums are full of awful awful people. Maybe it's because we have pretty decent moderation on GAF, and I'm a moderator myself on the only other forum I spend time on... but damn. If I had a ban button and just half an hour I could do a lot of good.
Yup, they also need some new style as well because it is a pain to navigate and find something.

enewtabie

Sir Fragula said:

Some trek forum members are really bad.I had to deal with it quite a bit at one point. There's some great ones too. But, when they start calling a Publishers office complaining about a moderator then you have a problem.:lol

enewtabie said:
Some trek forum members are really bad.I had to deal with it quite a bit at one point. There's some great ones too. But, when they start calling a Publishers office complaining about a moderator then you have a problem.:lol
Standard fare for a MMO's forum, to be honest. :p

Edit: Just patched after a week or so of non-play. Game no longer runs on my PC, crashes with an out of memory error. I'm using the latest video drivers for my system, nothing else has an issue, and I hear the drivers could be the cause of this issue for some people and downgrading is the way around it.

What a fucking joke. Hilariously the previous patch bitched and moaned I had a graphics driver one version out of date. Now the new patch makes it so the driver it wanted last time causes it to crash? *scratches head*

Walshicus

So, anyone able to adjust fleet bank rules? I've been hoarding cash to buy a new tab, but didn't want to deposit it for fear of being taken [somewhat justifiably] by someone else. If we could maybe disable withdrawals until we get all 9 tabs?

Ashodin

14qu8h.jpg

Get ready for action, men!

Some amusing news these days with the pricing change recently made. The game's price got knocked back, and the Collector's edition now comes with an additional 60 days worth of no-sub time. The STO forums are currently in a full state of meltdown about this of course.

Kind of a douche move on their part for not extending that to existing customers in my opinion, but I can see why they wouldn't from a business standpoint. Still.. yikes :)

Walshicus

Winterblink said:
Some amusing news these days with the pricing change recently made. The game's price got knocked back, and the Collector's edition now comes with an additional 60 days worth of no-sub time. The STO forums are currently in a full state of meltdown about this of course.

Kind of a douche move on their part for not extending that to existing customers in my opinion, but I can see why they wouldn't from a business standpoint. Still.. yikes :)
As mentioned those forums are shit. Most of the people making noise are the kind of people you just want to punch. Such a stupid thing to be pissed off about. I actually saw someone write something to the effect of "if they're not giving away those 60 days then I won't quit"!

But yeah, if you actually look at the people involved, it's the same 15 people.

Just got my Hope class ship yesterday. USS Mona Lisa's doing good - need to upload a pic though.

derFeef

Sir Fragula said:
As mentioned those forums are shit. Most of the people making noise are the kind of people you just want to punch. Such a stupid thing to be pissed off about. I actually saw someone write something to the effect of "if they're not giving away those 60 days then I won't quit"!

But yeah, if you actually look at the people involved, it's the same 15 people.

Just got my Hope class ship yesterday. USS Mona Lisa's doing good - need to upload a pic though.

I loved that ship, enjoy it as long as possible.

Effect

Parts of the official forums are crazy. Some even have so far as to say the game is an insult to the Star Trek IP. A lot of these people, and those on mmorpg.com, are simply complaining to complain. I've never said this before but I do have to wonder if some of them are even agents from other games. Some of the things being said just make no sense at times and defy simple logic. Most talk in generalities but when pressed for specifics about what should have been done differently in regard to making a Star Trek game they either refuse to answer or go off on how there is no content, development time was to short, etc. Never really address the issue from the post I've seen. The few times I did something remote close to answer they were talking about elements that wouldn't even make the game a Star Trek game.

I have no problem saying the game needs work in some areas but when people say this game is Star Trek in name only I have to ignore anything else they say because they've lost all credibility when it comes to talking about this game.

These people don't play the game. I don't hear any of this kind of complaining in game that I see on the forums.

Walshicus

My new Hope class Science Ship, the USS Mona Lisa:
MonaLisa.jpg

My character ESel getting her arse saluted by a blue man:
ArseSalute.jpg

Chilling on Risa. Jamaharon not shown.
Risa.jpg

My second Federation character waiting for the arrival of a friend in the starting Ten Forward area;
Vorta.jpg

Walshicus

Medalion said:
He even has Vorta ears.
I think it's more correct to say that you *don't* have Vorta ears... :D

Someone on the STO forums had a pretty good idea - use the holodeck as a system for user-created missions. I've been thinking about it a bit more, but if they created a robust mission creator and had a system in place for elevating holodeck to real content [with associated rewards] they could really shine with the game. After the first few months there'd be more than enough content - exploration, diplomatic and combat - for everyone... Someone mentioned there was precedent with one of their previous games too, but I don't know too much about that.

Effect

People like to knock mmorpgs with instance systems but you can do a lot with them. Player Mission creating wouldn't be possible without. Nor would true group dungeon crawling be possibly like in Everquest 1, EQ2, Dark Age of Camelot, and even WoW. Don't see how you could do a Star Trek game without it. To be honest I think SWG could have benefit from it as well. Isn't The Old Republic going to have a instance system as well?

Ashodin

Finally made Captain! Pics:
faxs0.jpg

New uniform! Comes equipped with Physician VII.

ta0eqh.jpg

Captain Jonathan "Cyan" Roland is promoted with the acquisition of the U.S.S. Crusader.

302lv1f.jpg

During a mission with Joshua Riker, son of Thomas Riker (the clone)!

The problem of user-created missions is that can be used as a xp exploit.

The problem is that we need missions that involves people of your crew. More diversity, to make it similar to the show. For example, a mission where, after going to a planet, two of your crew members are kidnapped (the 2 with more bride officer points), and you have to pursuit the ship to another system, and do some space and ground battles trying to rescue them... but, of course, without that members (so if you don't have any replacement members, your powers will be significatively lowered).

Or missions that happen inside your ship (they have enough federation ship interiors resources to make it) where some invasors trapt you and got the control of the ship, and you have to reach the bridge (starting alone, but finding the rest of your crew party in the way).

Walshicus

DangerousDave said:
The problem of user-created missions is that can be used as a xp exploit.
Not if you don't give out XP for them, or require them to be added from the "holodeck" to the "real" world, with the developers choosing the rewards. :D

Ashodin

Sir Fragula said:
Is your character getting a backrub from Riker's son??
He likes to "hug" you while not fighting enemies. It's kinda weird, :lol

I am having a BLAST so far.

I love the mission I was just on after that, called Suspect. The ending was MINDBLOWING.

Medalion

Banned
What is this talk about a holodeck in STO?

Is it a room I can visit to make limited simulations using in game engine, or is this code for a dev thing that is not in game?

Details appreciated plz

Walshicus

Medalion said:
What is this talk about a holodeck in STO?

Is it a room I can visit to make limited simulations using in game engine, or is this code for a dev thing that is not in game?

Details appreciated plz
Past Cryptic games have had a form of mission creator. Dev comments have suggested that they're looking to bring that to STO. The assumption is that it would make a lot of sense to just use an in-game holodeck on your ship to run and create such missions.

Following on from that you can imagine the developers crowdsourcing a lot of the "real" mission content in this fashion.

So yeah, nothing yet but a pretty exciting possibility.

nataku

Ugh at all these people charging 20,000+ for simple items like Phaser Beam Array Mk II. There is no way in hell I'm paying that much just to get the next level of items at Memory Alpha.

Zzoram

Winterblink said:

I know I regret buying the game at launch, and already cancelled my subscription. I bet a lot of people have done that if they're taking such dramatic steps to try to increase sales less than a month after launch.

Walshicus

Zzoram said:
I know I regret buying the game at launch, and already cancelled my subscription. I bet a lot of people have done that if they're taking such dramatic steps to try to increase sales less than a month after launch.
Don't know, you got a lot of complaining on the forums from people who expected a different game to what was made... but other than that most people I know who started playing are still doing so.

To be fair though, the core game was a bit overpriced. I don't regret buying it, but would have felt a lot better paying £25 or £30 for it with the subscription.

Oh, and yeah base items are expensive on the exchange... They really need to revamp the Memory Alpha system. You know when you deposit the sample the first time you visit? That should be the mechanism by which you gain "crafting" levels. Deposit more samples to get more item options.

Zenith

Banned
nataku said:
Ugh at all these people charging 20,000+ for simple items like Phaser Beam Array Mk II. There is no way in hell I'm paying that much just to get the next level of items at Memory Alpha.

I once managed to get a Mk3 quantum torp for 12,000.

This was before I realised tier 1 players can only use Mk1 and Mk2 equipment.

nataku

Zenith said:
I once managed to get a Mk3 quantum torp for 12,000.

This was before I realised tier 1 players can only use Mk1 and Mk2 equipment.

Turns at they actually sell the items I needed at the Earth starbase. For a little over 1,000. :lol

Big patch:

Greetings!
The team is very excited to bring to you the first of our new Special Task Force missions (formerly referred to as "Raidisodes"). In the coming weeks you will see a wealth of updates coming to the game and we look forward to your comments and feedback as we continue to work on fixing bugs, addressing your concerns, and adding the features that you are looking for in the game. Here are the release notes for this week's update. Enjoy!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2294638#post2294638
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2294639#post2294639

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Okay so the raidisode is apparently really hard. We gaf admirals should team up and take it on sometime.

Ashodin

Divvy said:
Okay so the raidisode is apparently really hard. We gaf admirals should team up and take it on sometime.
Well they said they tuned it for five captains, so it's pretty hard, I'd wager.

I realllly need a group of people to do these with. :(

Walshicus

Maxrpg said:

I'm still Cmdr2 on Fed and LCdr4 on Klingong... So it'll be a while for me!

zetetic

Neo Member
Hiyas, first time poster here :)

Glad to see a "sane" forum thread on STO. The official forums are fairly atrocious.
I've been having heaps of fun with STO and even got the lifetime sub during open beta (I got into Closed Beta back in Dec).
The game does have a bunch of issues, but I'm optimistic that they will be smoothed out.
On another note though, I don't trust Atari to handle things well (past experience has shown they are crap). I just hope Atari don't stuff up STO.

Anyways, some screenshots :D
My Away Team. I also got the Borg Officer (the one in yellow)
6yodxw.jpg

My Captain:
2h30pk4.jpg

And my ship flying towards the DS9 wormhole (Captain ship):
2ewi24g.jpg

Salz01

Did they fix the ground combat yet? I wish they had a trial period for this. As I'm interested but dont want to commit.

ButtaKnife

Neo Member
Maxrpg said:

Ooohh... I'm Cmdr7 right now, and time permitting, I'll hit Captain this weekend. I'd love to group for this.

Top Bottom