• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Digital-Hero said:
I thought the Beta was over? Can someone bring me up to speed?

[Nevermind, its the head start thing. Patching now]

It's the headstart for folks who pre-ordered. Currently the server is getting smoked and has really long queues.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What is wrong with this game's servers? I can't imagine how horrible this will be when then actual launch happens.

Druz

civilstrife said:
So... is this like... good?
Honestly: No Cryptic should be shot for Champions and now this... not that I'm surprised since being mediocre is their actual gameplan. But I'm betting you're going to ignore me to spend money and find out for yourself.

nataku

They really need to give a warning in-game as to when the server is gonna go down. Just getting booted to the login screen and then being told that the system operators have canceled all login attempts when you try to log back in is a little ridiculous.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
nataku said:
They really need to give a warning in-game as to when the server is gonna go down. Just getting booted to the login screen and then being told that the system operators have canceled all login attempts when you try to log back in is a little ridiculous.

They did, I saw the 10 minute one.

I can't believe how unprepared Cryptic was for this launch. It would also be nice if they didn't just shut down the servers randomly, maybe do some sort of countdown so that people know what's going on.

nataku

Divvy said:
They did, I saw the 10 minute one.

Is it in the chat or something? Because I never noticed. And how many times did you see it?

I'd really like some kind of pop up, if there isn't one.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
nataku said:
Is it in the chat or something? Because I never noticed. And how many times did you see it?

I'd really like some kind of pop up, if there isn't one.

Not sure about today, but during the beta they gave an initial notification and notifications at 10, 5, and 3 minutes. It was all in the chat window.

nataku said:

They did, but those in game message are barely visible against most back drops and they fly off your screen as quickly as they fly on. I'm surprised those messages weren't fixed for the final version. I was positive that was just for the beta.

Shouta

civilstrife said:
So... is this like... good?

Yes and no. Space combat is fantastic but ground combat is kind of meh. The bugs don't seem to have been worked out and while the content that is in is pretty good, it could use a lot more and a better variety of it. I made Captain in OB so I've seen quite a bit of the stuff they have at least at launch.

On the brightside, they do have a solid base to work with and it could prove very fruitful if they nurture the game correctly.

Zzoram

ATARI bought Cryptic with the intention of cranking out an MMORPG every 2 years. Cryptic is already working on their next project after STO. That concerns me.

Sqorgar

Banned
Wait, so STO has a queue now? AWESOME! I haven't been able to log into Champions Online since open beta started...

Zzoram

Sqorgar said:
Wait, so STO has a queue now? AWESOME! I haven't been able to log into Champions Online since open beta started...

Pay $300 upfront for the privilage of waiting in line!

Zzoram said:
ATARI bought Cryptic with the intention of cranking out an MMORPG every 2 years. Cryptic is already working on their next project after STO. That concerns me.

:lol

Low Tier MMO studio. These guys aren't Blizzard. I'll still squeeze all the fun out of Star Trek Online until Cataclysm and Star Wars Old Republic come out.

(I hated Champions Online, that game blew hard.)

zugzug

so I just checked steam the game is available on Feb 2nd, are you guys telling me the queue is for all you headstart people and not even release day queue?

Zzoram

Digital-Hero said:
:lol

Low Tier MMO studio. These guys aren't Blizzard. I'll still squeeze all the fun out of Star Trek Online until Cataclysm and Star Wars Old Republic come out.

(I hated Champions Online, that game blew hard.)

I'm considering a 3mo or 6mo purchase after my initial 30 days and then I'm probably done. I'll probably check out TOR just to see if Bioware really pulls off a 100% voiced MMO with completely unique origins for every class (Dragon Age style but longer). However, I still only trust Blizzard when it comes to longevity and long term content support for an MMO.

Zzoram

zugzug said:
so I just checked steam the game is available on Feb 2nd, are you guys telling me the queue is for all you headstart people and not even release day queue?

Scary isn't it? Launch day might have an insane queue, meaning that they completely skimped on server capacity figuring the dropoff after 3 months would make them a waste. Ironically, not having adequate server capacity will only speed up the dropoff in subscriptions.

zugzug

yeah, I'm sorry for making Captain Obvious disbelief statements.

btw, I luved Hitler's thoughts. Love all those.

still not as good "Wow World Of Warcraft Meeting Abaut Paladin in Pvp Server" video on youtube.

Sqorgar

Banned
Zzoram said:
It's a pretty poorly kept secret that Cryptic has been working on a Neverwinter Nights MMO that was intended to replace DDO after Atari drove it into the ground. Also, their website shows concept art from what appears to be a Cthulhu-based MMO. So they are working on their TWO next projects after STO, and as a Champions Online player, you should be concerned.

Pay $300 upfront for the privilage of waiting in line!
I've got lifetime subs to CO and STO, and trust me, a queue is the best thing to happen to the game. Both of them are practically unplayable. Server disconnects and lag are commonplace. There are places in the US where you can't even log on (I'm in one, apparently). A queue is annoying, but at least people can play.

Though this is just the head start. Tuesday is going to be a massacre...

Zzoram

Sqorgar said:
It's a pretty poorly kept secret that Cryptic has been working on a Neverwinter Nights MMO that was intended to replace DDO after Atari drove it into the ground. Also, their website shows concept art from what appears to be a Cthulhu-based MMO. So they are working on their TWO next projects after STO, and as a Champions Online player, you should be concerned.

I've got lifetime subs to CO and STO, and trust me, a queue is the best thing to happen to the game. Both of them are practically unplayable. Server disconnects and lag are commonplace. There are places in the US where you can't even log on (I'm in one, apparently). A queue is annoying, but at least people can play.

Though this is just the head start. Tuesday is going to be a massacre...

If STO is still this badly run by the end of the included 30 days, I won't buy any more time.

JWong

Banned
Zzoram said:
If STO is still this badly run by the end of the included 30 days, I won't buy any more time.
I'm quite sure I'll get to tier 5 by then. No need to play anymore after that.

zugzug

well I think I just talked myself out of even the first 30days and the inital 50-60 dollar purchase all around. Played the OB for one week stopped at lvl 7 for no reason. Did not even see the second tier of ships nor DS9 or Crystalinne entity like I saw others post here on GAF.

Digital-Hero said:
Anyone know how to remove the hud while you take screenshots?
Just press PrtScrn for a HUDless screenshot in png and Shift or Crtl or Alt ( i forget which ) +PrtScrn for a tga shot. If you type
Code:
/screenshot_
into the chat window it will bring up a list of screenshot commands that take images with all the HUD elements, useful for getting funny names and things.

Edit: The screenshots are automatically named with the timestamp and saved to the screenshots folder under Live in your STO install directory.

Sqorgar

Banned
Zzoram said:
Well, I wouldn't call this problem being "badly run". STO is just unexpectedly popular. Unexpected being the operative word.

Champions Online seems to fluctuate between badly run and competent nearly every other month (it's been a bad month for CO), but so far, STO seems to be squarely in the competent category.

Zzoram

zugzug said:
well I think I just talked myself out of even the first 30days and the inital 50-60 dollar purchase all around. Played the OB for one week stopped at lvl 7 for no reason. Did not even see the second tier of ships nor DS9 or Crystalinne entity like I saw others post here on GAF.

You should really play the first month, and get at least to Tier 2 where ships start to differentiate into classes.

Ok, I just got done playing for 2 hours or so. This game is simply awesome.

I almost lost it when I saw all these ships going to warp and coming out from warp.

PURE. NERD-GASM!

Top Bottom