• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode III gif showing Lucas 'morphing' different takes into 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomGyver

Those movies were already awful, now I can't unsee this. I don't think that I will ever watch the prequels again.

Kurdel

Banned
I think the case that Lucas was focused on the wrong things in the production of these movies has already been made multiple times, this just adds to the list.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
It's crazy to me as an actor that you'd need to salvage two takes and spend thousands of dollars on VFX just to make the reaction shot look right.

There is a part where Obi Wan departs and he has a convo with Anakin. Obi Wan's hair changes every time you the camera cuts back to him.

eFKac

I'm not even sure if what I think I see is Morphing or whatever. So if he did it actually, then damn good job job Mr Lucas, very smooth.

In this shot the viewer should be focused on Palpatine's mouth/face since he's speaking which is probably why they made the decision to splice 2 Anakin performances together. Movie magic.

Could have been the best take of Palpatine but Hayden did something distracting/off-mark halfway through which they only caught in edit.

Lucas said that he finds his movies in the editing room, so no surprises here, he probably filmed one shot of each scene and put together his bad acted Frankenstein in the editing room.

Kinyou

I never noticed it so I don't care. The one thing I did notice is darth mauls lightsabre handle growing , that one sucks.
I always figured that was meant to be an intentional feature of his lightsaber as it happens right when he turns on the second blade.

VABw5vx.gif

Alavard

Hayden Christensen's acting wasn't really bad when he wasn't talking, the problem is to sell the shitty writing you need a phenomenal actor and sadly Hayden wasn't but I can't knock him for being unable to sell the bs writing

Yeah, I meant that mainly as a quick zing, but in all seriousness I only blame Lucas for Anakin. We can say what we want to about Christensen's acting (body or voice), but in the end, George Lucas looked at the results and said 'yes, that's exactly what I want for the man who becomes Darth Vader'.

Man, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the takes. "Now, can you do that again, but as more of a petulant, whiny child?"

Davey Cakes

It IS interesting and impressive.

Even with all the analysis of the prequels that people have done, it took years to discover this edit.

hirokazu

I always figured that was meant to be an intentional feature of his lightsaber as it happens right when he turns on the second blade.

VABw5vx.gif
Now I can't unsee... WTF!

EDIT: Isn't he just moving closer to the camera with the last hand gesture as the second blade ignites?

OnPoint

I don't know what I'm supposed to feel here. It doesn't change my opinion on the prequel trilogy one way or the other.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is here?

Multiple takes are often used to bring together a scene or a performance. This is just a more technical way of executing that.

I don't see it.

From what I gather instead of cutting away and cutting back to what would have been a better take, Lucas simply used some sort of tech to bridge to takes together without a cutting to another shot.

I think that's what this is all about unless I am missing something.

Futureman

why is everyone saying this

I even point out in the OP that I dont mind this in particular

I dont think people are upset about this. its just an interesting thing to point out that most people didnt realize?

it's actually super interesting IMO actually. I think it's pretty cool. Though I could see some rabid Lucas haters pouncing on this.

kiguel182

We was doing stuff like this in Phantom Menace, they talk about it on the documentary about how the technology is interesting but it's a dangerous slippery slope.

One of the reasons the prequels are so bad is how artificial and stiff they feel. Stuff like this while subtle doesn't help and your subconscious is probably picking up on this unnatural transitions.

It also devaluates the art of acting. It's the "we will fixed it in post" mentality driven to the extreme and it produces subpar results compared to the old methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom