• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode III gif showing Lucas 'morphing' different takes into 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catdaddy

Don’t really see much of a problem, pretty sure this isn’t new..

also I really can’t tell - so this is like the 60fps argument - being oblivious can be nice….

If i had to guess, he liked that little grin in the first shot but didn't get the stare he wanted in the second? It's George being George. Not really shocking he's nitpicky about certain shots he wants.

Do we know if this is on all versions or something he changed later on?

EGM1966

I'd prefer A GIF showing the Emperor morphing into Lucas!

Kind of crazy but clearly you're unlikely to notice. Without seeing the two takes in full its impossible to say if this was even worth doing or not.

Technically though its not really that different from when a scene might contain a mix of takes via cuts. Only difference here is using tech to allow the mixing of takes in a continuous shot.

Or maybe he's supposed to be literally seething with inner turmoil in a subtle touch?

I guess this is how he tries to get the performances he wants instead of demanding it from the actors during production? It would explain why everyone in the PT phones it in. It reads to me like he's trying to use technology to make up for some of his deficiencies as a director but it doesn't alter my opinion of the film one way or the other.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I don't see where SalsaShark implied that this was bad. He just mentioned that this gif was making the rounds on reddit and wanted to share it with us. He even said he didn't mind it.

you can't write anything neutral on the internet. in fact your entire explanation rankles me to no end

I don't see where SalsaShark implied that this was bad. He just mentioned that this gif was making the rounds on reddit and wanted to share it with us. He even said he didn't mind it.

I think the fact that it's making rounds at all is a bit strange. It's two cuts of a performance with a clever trick to bring them together.

Raptor

I always figured that was meant to be an intentional feature of his lightsaber as it happens right when he turns on the second blade.

VABw5vx.gif

You can see how he kinda moves it in a way that it makes it seem it grows but it doesnt, just changes perspective of the lightsaber a little.

Unless this was sarcasm :p

Slaythe

This is done in about 90% of all modern movies. (when it's not flat out interrupting takes to switch another one)

Whenever there is movement, they use the blurred frames to blend two takes together. They literally do this in every single movie made the past 10 years.

Big Whoop.

Only thing here is that it's an extreme close up of the actor, that is barely moving. Not exactly the best target. He most likely did that to countless other scenes, but since they have better conditions, it's not something you can see.

And this is extremely subtle, the focus is on Palpatine, you only look at Anakin when he turns his head.

It's like a magician trick. If you are told about it you will see the trick. If not, it's barely noticeable.

No effect is perfect. Ever.

Salsa

I think the fact that it's making rounds at all is a bit strange. It's two cuts of a performance with a clever trick to bring them together.

its an odd thing to see that is interesting and not used often or at all. its not weird at all that once found it would be making the rounds.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
This is basically a technique that's been going on since the '80's. Ever since another Lucasfilm production, Ron Howard's Willow, did it to allow for the transformation of various creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKzbsDG58pc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_%28film%29#Visual_effects

Wikipedia said:
Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) created the visual effects sequences. The script called for Willow to restore Fin Raziel (Patricia Hayes) from a goat to her human form. Willow recites what he thinks is the appropriate spell, but turns the goat into an ostrich, a peacock, a tortoise, and finally a tiger, before returning her to normal. ILM supervisor Dennis Muren considered using stop motion animation for the scene. He also explained that another traditional and practical way in the late-1980s to execute this sequence would have been through the use of an optical dissolve with cutaways at various stages.

Muren found both stop motion and optical effects to be too technically challenging and decided that the transformation scene would be a perfect opportunity for ILM to create advances with digital morphing technology. He proposed filming each animal, and the actress doubling for Hayes, and then feeding the images into a computer program developed by Doug Smythe.[10] The program would then create a smooth transition from one stage to another before outputting the result back onto film. Smythe began development of the necessary software in September 1987. By March 1988, the impressive result Muren and fellow designer David Allen achieved what would represent a breakthrough for computer-generated imagery (CGI).

Salsa

This is done in about 90% of all modern movies. (when it's not flat out interrupting takes to switch another one)

uh no

and certainly not like this

use something obstructing a shot to insert an edit or blur two frames far away or in movement together? sure, and even then not in "90 percent of all modern movies"

but morphing two takes of an actors face in the same shot? in all modern movies? what?

it certainly is a 'big whoop' and worth pointing out. no need to be condescending.

its an odd thing to see that is interesting and not used often or at all. its not weird at all that once found it would be making the rounds.

It doesn't seem all that odd. Instead of cutting away again he simply strings two takes together using morphing tech.

I think a lot of the visual effects on film is stuff you're never really meant to see. This just falls into that category. I am not sure how widely this particular technique is used but I don't find it odd at all.

Lucas said that he finds his movies in the editing room, so no surprises here, he probably filmed one shot of each scene and put together his bad acted Frankenstein in the editing room.
unfortunately, if my memory serves me correctly, he didn't have the help of the original trilogy's editor, who i feel was strong enough to say no to his crap.
there's a nice scene on the 'beginnings' documentary that follows the making of episode 1 where george and the editor are stitching together three or four takes of a scene, layering individual actors' performances over and compositing it together. i am not sure if this was one of the first films to do this but lucas has always been a trailblazer with this stuff.

ah, spawnofmoose has the example i was talking about.

Can't believe people actually care about stuff like this. I now need to re-evaluate my life because apparently people care about stupid things like this.

oatmeal

Banned
this is a different thing

edit: not knocking. just saying a lot of people here going "this is normal and done all the time!" probably refer to something like this rather than what's happening in the OP gif

The technique is different, the idea is the same.

He's using, what I'm assuming, are the best takes and blending them together so that he gets the performance he wants in the scene.

NimbusD

It took someone 10 years to notice this, which means Lucas did a damn good job, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, honestly, as a videographer and editor, I don't really mind this. I barely even notice it now when I'm looking for it. Part of editing is making people not notice the bad parts and this is one step removed from that.

But it makes me wonder why george lucas didn't just make animated movies. At a certain point, why are you even bothering with actors? And honestly, the clone wars series proved that he'd probably have done it better. If only because it forces him to work with and defer to other people since it's not his native medium.

Faddy

Banned
I'm not exactly sure what the issue is here?

Multiple takes are often used to bring together a scene or a performance. This is just a more technical way of executing that.

From what I gather instead of cutting away and cutting back to what would have been a better take, Lucas simply used some sort of tech to bridge to takes together without a cutting to another shot.

I think that's what this is all about unless I am missing something.

It is just another piece of evidence of Lucas's laziness as a director. Why bother trying to get a great scene between two actors when you can have them half ass it a couple of times and fix it in post.

Yeah, honestly, as a videographer and editor, I don't really mind this. I barely even notice it now when I'm looking for it. Part of editing is making people not notice the bad parts and this is one step removed from that.

But it makes me wonder why george lucas didn't just make animated movies. At a certain point, why are you even bothering with actors? And honestly, the clone wars series proved that he'd probably have done it better. If only because it forces him to work with and defer to other people since it's not his native medium.

Well, Star Wars saga films are not intended to be animated.

Also, I don't understand why actors would be so offended by this technique. It's still their performance, for which they probably did multiple takes for anyways. This is imply taking their work and making sure the best of what they did ends up on screen.

It's just a more creative technique to achieve that.

I couldn't imagine someone like Tarantino using it but for someone like Lucas this seems like the thing he loves.

It is just another piece of evidence of Lucas's laziness as a director. Why bother trying to get a great scene between two actors when you can have them half ass it a couple of times and fix it in post.

I have no doubt that the work done on set was not the best but it's not like scenes in movies are not comprised of multiple takes.

it's not a million miles away from using ADR or over dubbing replacement dialogue when editing or even when narrative ideas change. you see it far more often in TV shows, arrested development features a lot of it.

i feel it's wrong to call this 'lazy'. it's a different style of film making and not inherently worse than any other.

I remember the scene and pretty sure I noticed something but thought it was just some change in depth of field because my attention was obviously not directed at Anakin but on Palpatine.

There's another shot in one of the films either attack of the clones or ep 3 where you see Anakin and Padame staring out of different windows but Anakins eye movement is revered as in he blinks in reverse

It's really weird I can't remember the video where I saw it though

Whenever there is movement, they use the blurred frames to blend two takes together. They literally do this in every single movie made the past 10 years.

Big Whoop.

Only thing here is that it's an extreme close up of the actor, that is barely moving. Not exactly the best target. He most likely did that to countless other scenes, but since they have better conditions, it's not something you can see.

And this is extremely subtle, the focus is on Palpatine, you only look at Anakin when he turns his head.

It's like a magician trick. If you are told about it you will see the trick. If not, it's barely noticeable.

No effect is perfect. Ever.

Yeah, no. I studied film for 4 years, and work as a videographer and editor right now full-time. This is an unusual and uncommon effect. It's definitely not in 90% of films, and it's absolutely not the same thing as hiding a cut during movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom