• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode III gif showing Lucas 'morphing' different takes into 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anything wrong with this. The fact that it took this long for someone to spot it shows how subtle it is (and how pointless it was to achieve better performances).

zma1013

I think it's a testament to how stiff and wooden the actors were in these films that they could so seamlessly blend different takes together that it's damn near unnoticeable. All the takes probably look the same.

I think it's a testament to how stiff and wooden the actors were in these films that they could so seamlessly blend different takes together that it's damn near unnoticeable. All the takes probably look the same.

I find it's more of an indictment on Lucas's awful framing for scenes consisting mostly of dialogue. He only likes 2-3 angles MAX for such scenes and it gets boring and repetitive when he never changes it up, ever.

Sapiens

I remember reading...in 1999...that George lucas did this with Ep 1 - rumour has it he even edited Jake Lloyds face to combine multiple expressions.

Also, who cares?

commedieu

Banned
this is done a lot tho..
On IM3 I took off heads from one take, and put them on other takes of the bodies. Damn near anything I've worked on, feature wise, has split takes.

Dommo

It is just another piece of evidence of Lucas's laziness as a director. Why bother trying to get a great scene between two actors when you can have them half ass it a couple of times and fix it in post.

It's really not. A conversation between two characters in a scene is almost always cut up with different takes. It's just that it's more seamlessly concealed through actual shot-reverse-shot editing. That's not lazy. That's using the best takes available for any given moment to get the best performance out the actors as possible. This isn't called 'fixing it in post.' It's just called movie-making.

This is the exact same idea, it's just that Lucas wants those two takes without it cutting away, which is fair enough because he wants us to linger longer on Palpatine, without our gaze breaking to anything else. Perhaps the argument could be made that had Lucas been able to direct the actors better, he would have got the timing right in one, sure, but you could literally apply that to any director. Every director needs to tweak the pace, emotional peaks and troughs, the tension in editing. That's sort of what an editor is for.

This is not a symptom of the prequels being shit. This is just regular filmmaking done in a slightly novel, noticeable way.

this is done a lot tho..
On IM3 I took off heads from one take, and put them on other takes of the bodies. Damn near anything I've worked on, feature wise, has split takes.

Yes, not exactly anything new here. Just effective use of footage to try and assemble a good scene.

For all the attention to technical detail at Lucasfilm, I'm amazed that the Han Leia Boob grope made it in, I guess when you are so concerned with the wood you cant see the trees :)

1237392812_han-solo-and-priness-leia-b.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Uh that's the point of doing multiple takes in the first place. Unless they royally missed the mark completely actors don't have drastically different performances in each take, that's the complete opposite of what they're supposed to do. You're trying to get the best version of a scene. Geez guys. Some are being a bit too transparent about how little they know about film editing. ._.

Yes, not exactly anything new here. Just effective use of footage to try and assemble a good scene.

For all the attention to technical detail at Lucasfilm, I'm amazed that the Han Leia Boob grope made it in, I guess when you are so concerned with the wood you cant see the trees :)

Well, the Storm Trooper bumping his head also made it into the movie

Trojan X

Banned

Carrie was really gorgeous back then.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I always figured that was meant to be an intentional feature of his lightsaber as it happens right when he turns on the second blade.

VABw5vx.gif

What bothers me most here is his hood mysteriously grows out from his back.

Edit: derp it's his other arm

zma1013

Uh that's the point of doing multiple takes in the first place. Unless they royally missed the mark completely actors don't have drastically different performances in each take, that's the complete opposite of what they're supposed to do. You're trying to get the best version of a scene. Geez guys. Some are being a bit too transparent about how little they know about film editing. ._.

I've read about and seen "making ofs" where actors are told to do the same scene in varying ways, changing their inflection and tone of their voices and even movements to see what works best.

The preview trailers for The Dark Knight has the Joker saying "Kill the Batman" in a much more serious and dramatic tone for example, but in the actual movie he says it in a nonchalant, jokingly way.

And then she looks down at his package! Lots of cold lonely nights there on the set of Star Wars I see...

Well, shit. I'll never be able to not see that now. Ah well, who knows when I'll rewatch Sith again anyway.

Can't believe I never noticed it before, because it's extremely noticeable now that I know it's there. I guess it's just because your focus is usually shifted towards Palpatine, so the morph isn't nearly as noticeable in the peripheral.

It just screams of NT'ers jumping on the PT for any little thing.

It does, and I'm largely amenable to PT criticisms! But here folks are literally picking out the most minor of minor issues with the film and blowing it well beyond proportion. A director used a not-uncommon technique to set the scene the way he wanted. And the best part? It's a fucking great scene in RotS - maybe the best.

Madao

i remember that James Cameron once said that if you don't notice the weird stuff and mistakes on the first view and enjoy the movie, you've done your job well.
someone asked him about mistakes and stuff that could have been removed in post production in some of his past movies when he said that.

i think Lucas actually wins this one since i had to play back the gif a few times to notice and i had rewatched this movie recently. i don't think i'd have ever noticed otherwise (not like i watch these movies often. that indirectly helps him)

This really isn't on the same level of offensive as taking a back shot of someone talking, seeing their jaw move from the back/side angle and having it be completely out of sync. That shit is literally everywhere.

low-G

Pretty sure Han groping is canon. Fits his character.

Anyways, the only thing I can imagine is they did 2 takes of this scene and the first time he sneezed and they take the sensible philosophy of why give a fuck and just said 'fix it in post'

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

fallout

Okay, now I see it. The hair blurs slightly if you zoom in on it. I'm watching it full screen on my phone and it's entirely undetectable without zooming in.

Daingurse

Lol, I just watched this the other night. I've not noticed this is 10 years, well played Lucas. Now it can never been unseen, fuck. That scene was pretty much perfect before this, lol.

Dryk

You can see how he kinda moves it in a way that it makes it seem it grows but it doesnt, just changes perspective of the lightsaber a little.

Unless this was sarcasm :p
I think it's the fact that the blade is one solid line (that maybe doesn't change size with perspective properly?) throwing people off

Dryk

The preview trailers for The Dark Knight has the Joker saying "Kill the Batman" in a much more serious and dramatic tone for example, but in the actual movie he says it in a nonchalant, jokingly way.
The Deadpool trailers have been showing tons of completely different takes for a few scenes too

Sapiens

Can you believe Lucas sat down and wrote this shitty morphing algorithm (probably in Java and not a real programming language like C/C++) and then had the nerve to actually use it?

This guy is an evil tyrant and this is the best case for having him imprisoned.

I also just wanted to say that my life is purposeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom