• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Galaxies

I just played through Fileplanet's free trial of it and, at the end of this week, I'm going to get it. I really like the game and it was better than I expected.

Anyways, who here plays Star Wars Galaxies. What is your in-game name and what server do you play on?

My in-game name is CrimsonFate and my character is on Eclispe. At this time, I'm training to become a Marksman and a Creature Handler.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I played the trial too...and while the "theme" was cool...I couldn't get into it, and didn't really like the game. Sucks to be so used to another games design (AC) because it makes it hard to play new ones.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Started playing again with two friends (one was one of the first Jedis on Corbantis) and we're having a blast.

The combat upgrade flushed the retards out of the game because just about every idiot we hated on the server quit. Basically, all the powergamer/template stackers got pissed because they couldn't solo their way through an army of Rancors with a power hammer so they quit the game because they were no longer invincible supermen and there was actually a challenge to hunting again.

On the other hand, there are a TON of newbs on the server. Tonight we helped two brand new players get a bunch of space experience by having them man the two gun turrents in a Nova while we did some of our tier four space missions. It was fun playing with two people who were completely new to the game and in awe of the Jedis in our group and were asking where to get sunguard hat because they've never seen one.

They also fixed the PVP so you can participate in the Galactic Civil War and help take over planets with your faction without worrying about gankers. They removed the retarded TEFs you'd get for attacking somone of the other faction (like in WoW when you get PVP flagged) and replaced it with three settings you select:

On Leave: You're basically on vacation and rival NPCs or players cannot attack you.
Combatant: You can be attacked by rival faction NPCs but not players.
Special Forces: Both rival faction NPCs and players can attack you.

So right now on my server, Rebels control most of Tatooine. When you take control of an area friendly guards spawn. So right now on my server if you run into Mos Eisley there are Rebel guards standing around. If the Imperials get off their ass and start blowing up the Rebel bases on Tatooine and placing theirs, they can gain control and Stormtroopers will spawn in the cities. It's awesome.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I too purchased the game back at launch, played for 2 months, and dropped it. Hearing about the new expansion and combat upgrade, I decided to give it another go. Its been interesting thus far, i've not had a ton of time to play but I do plan to post some updated impressions over the next few weeks.

Suffice to say, if you were one of the many who bought SWG at launch, spend the 14.99 and try it again for one month, you might be surprised.

If you had a character previously, he/she is still there. You can also respec it if you changed your mind or something.

The impressions i've read about the newest wookie expansion have been postive. Aparently its more story driven then most stuff out there. And of course there is jump to lightspeed, included with Rage of the Wookies.

Don't worry about being a newbie again, there are plenty of them :D

Edit:

This just in
For new players, or those who want to drop their current account, GAF Affiliate has the
Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience

Which includes everything SWG up to this point, for 25.95 + tax (its through office depot)

silenttwn

I'm having some pretty good fun with Galaxies. Love the universe, and Galaxies provides you with all the variety in it. I'm really diggin' the space stuff. Great change of pace from the usual MMO fare.

I play on Starsider with a guild called Sunder. They're a nice, laid back guild full of cool people. If any of you guys want to check 'em out, they're at sunderhq.com. You don't have to pay to join or anything too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Player Bounty Hunting

How a player bounty is marked:

* Any player in the game can declare "Special Forces" and then engage in Player-vs-Player combat.

* As players engage in PvP battles, they will automatically accumulate credits on their total bounty.

* If you are killed in PvP combat, you will also have the option of placing a bounty on the player who killed you in combat.

A window will open so you can set the bounty. The window will display the maximum and minimum bounty amounts, as well as your current funds.

* The bounty can be any amount from 20,000 credits to 1,000,000 credits.

* If a player defeats enough enemies in PvP combat, they will have enough credits on their bounty to show up on the bounty hunter terminals located throughout the galaxy.

* Any bounty hunter can then take a player bounty mission from the bounty hunter terminal (bounty hunters will not know the names of specific characters by taking these missions).

o These missions are anonymous. The Bounty Hunter knows only that he is hunting another player the faction alignment of their mark.

o Up to three (3) bounty hunters can take a mission on the same target.

* Bounty Hunters earn the total amount of bounty credits on the target (and only the bounty credits). The Bounty Hunter will also earn extra faction points if they complete a bounty on someone of the opposing faction or lose faction points for completing a bounty on someone of the same faction.

* The maximum total amount of bounty credits that any single player can have on them at one time is 20,000,000 credits.

A player bounty may not be marked:

* Players cannot have a bounty placed on their character by another player until they are level 20 or above.

* A player cannot place bounty credits if their character's death is the result of a duel.

* A player cannot place bounty credits if their death is the result of the mission target killing the Bounty Hunter.

Neither the Bounty Hunter nor their mission target can place a bounty on the other player as a result of the bounty mission PvP death.

* A player cannot place bounty credits if they do not have enough money to meet the minimum bounty amount requirement.

How a Bounty Hunter tracks their target:

* Bounty Hunters start by taking a player bounty mission from any Bounty Hunter mission terminal throughout the galaxy.

* Bounty hunters can then use their bounty hunting tools (bounty hunting droids, etc.) and prowess to track down their mission target.

* A bounty hunter cannot access PvP Bounty missions until they are level 22 (the level at which they gain droid tracking), and players will not appear on the PvP bounty list until their character is at least level 20 or above.

When a Bounty Hunter finds their mark:

* Once a Bounty Hunter takes a player mission, they are flagged for PvP combat with their target.

* Bounty Hunters get first strike in combat.

* Once a Bounty Hunter makes a move and attacks their bounty target, the target player can attack back immediately (Please note that all PvP rules are still in effect!).

* If a bounty hunter successfully kills their mission target, the bounty hunter will earn all of the bounty credits their target.

* Any Bounty Hunters who might also have the same mission target will be notified that the target is no longer valid when the mission target is slain.

* If the bounty hunter is killed by the target of his/her bounty mission, the hunter fails the mission and will need to get a new mission. In this case, the target keeps the bounty on his/her head and other bounty hunters may continue to hunt the target.

* Bounty credits will not continue to accumulate by killing the same character over and over in combat (to try and drive up a player's PvP rating).

Bounty Hunter / Player Bounty Attacks

* Once a Bounty Hunter takes a player mission, they are flagged for PvP combat with their target. Once a Bounty Hunter makes a move and attacks their bounty target, the target player can attack back immediately.

* ALL PvP rules are still in effect so if both a Bounty Hunter and their mark are declared for full PvP combat, either player may attack the other player at any time.

* Once the PvP combat encounter begins, players that are factionally opposed to the Bounty Hunter can assist the target in killing the Bounty Hunter and visa versa; players that are factionally opposed to the target can help the Bounty Hunter kill their target.

* However, the Bounty Hunter must be the player delivering the death blow in order to win the mission (and get the payout).

Additional Player Bounty System Details:

* Once a Bounty Hunter takes a player bounty mission, they will be flagged for PvP combat 10-20 seconds after they take the mission. The PvP flag remains in effect for as long as the mission is active.

* All PvP rules are in effect. That means that if you are declared "Special Forces" or engaged in a Guild War all PvP rules still apply.

* Bounties placed on a player are cumulative. If multiple bounties are placed on a player, their overall bounty amount will increase.

* A single player can have multiple bounties on them.

* No bounties will be accumulated for combat with creatures or NPCs (PvE) whether they are faction NPCs or not. Player Bounties are only accumulated for PvP combat.

* Player Bounty Missions have Faction Point bonuses and penalties. Bounty Hunters who kill targets of the opposite faction will earn a faction point bonus and killing a target of the same faction will get a faction point penalty.

* Bounty icons are no longer used.

* The /bountycheck command will still be used for NPC mission targets, but will not do anything when used on a player target.

* If a player has multiple bounties on them, the Bounty Hunter will collect all of the bounty rewards on their target.

* Players who try to log out as a way to escape a bounty hunter will find that their character will stay in the world. Their character can (and probably) will be killed by the bounty hunter.

* Players may not place bounties if their character is killed in a duel.

Here is an example of how Player Bounty Hunting might happen:

* An Imperial player kills a Rebel player in PvP combat.

* A window will pop up asking the Rebel if he or she wants to take out a bounty on the Imperial player.

* The Rebel player can choose to take out the bounty. At they time, they will be asked for the amount of credits they wish to make the bounty (up to a maximum of 1,000,000 credits). The bounty is effective immediately.

* This will deduct the specified amount from your bank account or from your cash on-hand and added the bounty to your killer.

* A player with a bounty will always display as red on the Bounty Hunter's radar as soon as the PvP flag is set.

* Bounty Hunter droids are only used to track the target and are not necessary to complete the mission.

Top Bottom