• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes |OT| The best chance to unlock Kylo-Ren

Blank!

I've learned how to deal with Sid—for the most part. I still haven't figured out a great anti-Dooku plan. I've seen him hit the same character 4 times in a row without interruption and kill them while I sit there helpless.

He doesn't have that much HP, practically any assist caller or follow up attacker will kill him/nearly kill him in one go (dodge not withstanding).

Dooku eats up low damage teams. Grab a Geno/IG-86/Quigon and Dooku doesn't become a huge issue anymore (RnG double-stun not withstanding).

Durden77

FINALLY beat Galactic War holy shit. Your tips really helped Blank, thanks for that. Once I got Luminara leveled her and Consular helped carry me through the whole thing.

There was one battle I had to retreat from like 10 times midway. Annoying as shit team.

Jaleel

(L) QGJ 6*
Poe 7*
Lumi 7*
Ben 6*
Rey 5* 40 more purple needles to G8 lol

Team is holding number 1. I like it. Might try swapping Lumi out for Poggle too see what happens. Cant wait for Feb update. Im hearing good things through reddit/official forums on all sorts of QoL things. Shard Shop, A way to farm gear efficiently for multiple characters ( Nodes that show your toons need gear from their so you can farm gear for 2 chars or more at once.)

Blank!

(L) QGJ 6*
Poe 7*
Lumi 7*
Ben 6*

Team is holding number 1. I like it. Might try swapping Lumi out for Poggle too see what happens. Cant wait for Feb update. Im hearing good things through reddit/official forums on all sorts of QoL things. Shard Shop, A way to farm gear efficiently for multiple characters ( Nodes that show your toons need gear from their so you can farm gear for 2 chars or more at once.)

QGJ leader ability is currently disabled the first (and most important) round of combat in arena, might want to consider replacing as pretty much any leader ability is better. Old Ben actually has a pretty awesome leader ability fwiw.

Jaleel

QGJ leader ability is currently disabled the first (and most important) round of combat in arena, might want to consider replacing as pretty much any leader ability is better. Old Ben actually has a pretty awesome leader ability fwiw.

Ya, Im aware. Poe Rey and QGJ can act first if I win coin toss. Speed boost was there to just increase Lumi and Ben to rest of team to maintain control if I win the toss. But I feel ya and thanks for passing proper info.

Edit* Now I really wanna get Ben's leader up to test lol. Evasion + turn meter for ALL not just jedi could be nasty.

Toa TAK

Banned
I did it! Finally got Rey and boosted her with all my saved training droids to 51. Now I can finally progress lol

Pejo

Is there a way to sort to see all healer allies in game, or maybe a list of all healer allies on a website or something? I hate having to click every character and read all of their skills to see if they have a heal. Healing is my weakest part of my team right now.

Loving this game so far. It is definitely my biggest time sink on my phone. I only play for an hour or two but it is one of the few mobile games that has me coming back daily.

Blank!

Is there a way to sort to see all healer allies in game, or maybe a list of all healer allies on a website or something? I hate having to click every character and read all of their skills to see if they have a heal. Healing is my weakest part of my team right now.

I'm assuming you mean a team heal:

Ackbar (conditional on having negative status conditions)
Ashoka (conditional on critting)
Asajj (conditional on dispelling a debuff)
Barriss
Ewok Elder
Jedi Counselor
Lobot (conditional on having negative status conditions)
Luminara
Old Daka
Talia

Pretty sure that's it.

Epcott

I've been trying to play this for the past few weeks without spending money. It's pretty boring, even if you're use to grindy games. I'm tempted to eradicate this from my phone before I foolishly spend another $20.

Blank!

I've been trying to play this for the past few weeks without spending money. It's pretty boring, even if you're use to grindy games. I'm tempted to eradicate this from my phone before I foolishly spend another $20.

The big selling feature to me is I DON'T have to spend 24/7 playing it. Yeah, it's still a grind, but it's 2-3 10-15 minute sessions to literally do everything I need to do and that's it. I drop mobile games very fast the more time I have to invest in them, cause the mechanics generally aren't worth it.

Are far as spending money goes, it pays to drop a couple bucks on the game for a pack/shards per day thing but buying chromium packs, etc. doesn't pay off unless you're dropping literal thousands of dollars. The majority of characters simply don't pan out with so few shards and you won't get what you're looking for. So yeah, if you aren't enjoying yourself don't try to bandaid it with money... it's not going to help. I'd just move on to another game.

Aselith

The big selling feature to me is I DON'T have to spend 24/7 playing it. Yeah, it's still a grind, but it's 2-3 10-15 minute sessions to literally do everything I need to do and that's it. I drop mobile games very fast the more time I have to invest in them, cause the mechanics generally aren't worth it..

No doubt. I tried that Marvel Future Fight but it gave me so much energy that I couldn't actually use it all since it just kept piling it on. Immediately deleted it. I have a job.

11 pages of patch notes they said. Must be a lot of features. Guilds, Ships who knows.

Joker-Yelling-Hit-Me-The-Dark-Knight.gif

Blank!

Pretty massive.

Not excited for the first event. I have enough jedi at 4 stars (not levels mind you, but characters anyway) to unlock by the sounds of it. But it's a hell of a grind to 7* starring 5 jedi. I forsee myself farming JC/Barriss in cantina and stopping Dooku/Kylo if the character is any good. That + Lum will be 3 jedi... QGJ is a while away from 7 star... kind of stinks but meh.

All the other UI stuff seems fine/great.

FOTP nerf to be expected, also got rid of his 'phantom' 3rd attack (for the few people capable of surviving his double shot...).

Talia sounds way more usable.

Poe still strong as hell.

JK Guardian still sucks.

Ventress kind of nerfed? Should of left it as a group heal IMO and just fix the dispel. She's slow enough that it wouldn't matter.

Oppress/Windu seem neat.

Phasma 'nerf' doesn't seem that bad.

Iceman829

Update seems interesting.

Too bad you need a full squad of Jedi for the first event. I only have 2 (Lumi & JC), so I doubt I'll have any shot at getting this character any time soon.

If Talia is more usable I'll have to continue leveling her up from where I stopped.

I got a 3* Ventress from a pack awhile ago. I never touched her and this update doesn't seem to change my desire to use her.

I have a 4* Oppress from awhile back thinking the character was good because it would destroy my scrub squad in the challenges. If the updates changed him for the better I'll be happy to know my bad decision wasn't that bad

I don't have the other ones, so it will be a wait and see on the arena battles.

I'm going to be so mad if the character is Yoda and I have no Jedi ; ;

Aselith

Update seems interesting.

Too bad you need a full squad of Jedi for the first event. I only have 2 (Lumi & JC), so I doubt I'll have any shot at getting this character any time soon.

If Talia is more usable I'll have to continue leveling her up from where I stopped.

I got a 3* Ventress from a pack awhile ago. I never touched her and this update doesn't seem to change my desire to use her.

I have a 4* Oppress from awhile back thinking the character was good because it would destroy my scrub squad in the challenges. If the updates changed him for the better I'll be happy to know my bad decision wasn't that bad

I don't have the other ones, so it will be a wait and see on the arena battles.

I'm going to be so mad if the character is Yoda and I have no Jedi ; ;

There are a fair number that are easy to get in squad arena and gw shipments. Also since they're running it multiple times you'lol have a shot if you focus on it.

Probably focusing on Mace for cantina energy and QGJ or Ahsoksa for the shipments is good plus do Eeth for Arena

Blank!

Excited for the usability changes, and there's tons. Should be a much smoother experience to play.
The Jedi thing, you're going to get some shards. Then the event will come back and you'll get some more. If they made it easy to get all the shards, the event would quickly become worthless to most players. Tease it out, make it last.

It sounds like you only get more shards if you gain another star level of jedi though. So to unlock a 7 star jedi (probably Yoda), you're going to need 5 7* jedi at some point.

I kind of wish they just made it a total star count... like you need 30+ stars total among all jedi characters to unlock. The whales are the only people this really benefits and forces any player(s) that want that character down a very specific build path to unlock.

There were 2 changes that affect my squad: 1 I love and 1 I hate.

I love they buffed Savage Opress a bit. I hated that his finishing move was almost always dodged for some reason by certain characters... -cough- Sid -cough- So, he will be much better on my team.

I hate they nerfed Asajj Ventress. Why? Why would they do that? The dark side has virtually no healers as it is, so why remove one? Her dispel barely worked, so at least they fixed that portion, but now she only heals herself?!?!? I don't get that... and they left Poe pretty much untouched. There's so many things they could have done to make her a worthwhile teammate—speed her up, make her hit harder... but they effectively killed her instead.

Overall, I can't wait for the update though—just sad they nerfed a character that needed a buff instead.

liezryou

Well... I think it's safe to say the balance team is pretty damn fickle in their philosophy. At the same time it seems they are severely lacking good QA. This makes for a horrible combo of knee-jerk reactions to pitchfork holders followed by trying to use a whifflebat to hit a baseball.

First they make extremely sweeping changes to several characters in the last big patch where it was needed unnecessarily (TFA). Now they make minor adjustments to heroes like Poe and FOTP in a situation where we actually need sweeping changes.

Gunna be holding onto my money for now until i see where this game is heading. I don't regret spending the 100$ i already have as i got equal or more back from top 3 arena rankings everyday.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well... I think it's safe to say the balance team is pretty damn fickle in their philosophy. At the same time it seems they are severely lacking good QA. This makes for a horrible combo of knee-jerk reactions to pitchfork holders followed by trying to use a whifflebat to hit a baseball.

First they make extremely sweeping changes to several characters in the last big patch where it was needed unnecessarily (TFA). Now they make minor adjustments to heroes like Poe and FOTP in a situation where we actually need sweeping changes.

Gunna be holding onto my money for now until i see where this game is heading. I don't regret spending the 100$ i already have as i got equal or more back from top 3 arena rankings everyday.

I think they learned their lesson, meaning that smaller changes are better than sweeping changes. I think that's an improvement, even if I don't always agree with their changes.

Pejo

I'm assuming you mean a team heal:

Ackbar (conditional on having negative status conditions)
Ashoka (conditional on critting)
Asajj (conditional on dispelling a debuff)
Barriss
Ewok Elder
Jedi Counselor
Lobot (conditional on having negative status conditions)
Luminara
Old Daka
Talia

Pretty sure that's it.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for this. Super helpful!

I feel like the galactic campaign needs better rewards. It was really fun to save up for captain phasma, but all of the other characters you can earn looks pretty meh

Setzer

(L) QGJ 6*
Poe 7*
Lumi 7*
Ben 6*

I'm only on stage 6 for both LS & DS and working on stage 5 of the cantina but so far I haven't found any spots to farm Old Ben shards. Are there spots later in the game to grind his shards or did you have to throw a bunch of money at the game to get him up to 6*?

Setzer

I feel like the galactic campaign needs better rewards. It was really fun to save up for captain phasma, but all of the other characters you can earn looks pretty meh

Luminara is another good one but I know what you're saying. They should put Rey and Old Ben shards in there for purchase.

Durden77

Holy shit at that update. Great to see they're really putting work into this game. Besides a few balance changes, it pretty much solves every problem I have with the game. They really dug deep with some of this stuff.

I wonder who the new character is? Yoda?

Aselith

Biggs Darklighter is actually a mean machine if you gear him up and get the shards. I actually started using him in place of FOTP because he essentially has a double attack with his active and he takes a lot more damage. My Arena team is Luminara, FOTP, Biggs, Sid and Dooku. Highly recommended to get him. Also the IG-88 Sentinel is an extremely strong glass cannon character.

liezryou

I think they learned their lesson, meaning that smaller changes are better than sweeping changes. I think that's an improvement, even if I don't always agree with their changes.

From a balance point of view, i agree. But this is under the condition where you have much more frequent tweaks and changes. If we get a new patch like this every 2.5 months, it's just not going to work.

LevelNth

Banned
Disappointed they didn't nerf Dooku a bit, he's way overpowered and really just needs his HP dropped to compensate.

Patch makes Old Daka even more imperative too for DS teams.

Durden77

Disappointed they didn't nerf Dooku a bit, he's way overpowered and really just needs his HP dropped to compensate.

Patch makes Old Daka even more imperative too for DS teams.

While I find Dooku very annoying to fight, the more I have and the more I've used him myself, I don't think he's OP at all. If they nerfed his health anymore he'd be useless. He's already extremely squishy, and all of his damage is based on counters and chances at bonus attacks. If you stun him his counter is useless and is an easy target, and if he doesn't get his bonus attacks his damage is not that good at all.

Against Jedis on the other hand, he is extremely powerful. But against non-Jedi, he's fine, just annoying.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Been having fun with this since I installed it a few days ago, but all of these "Guaranteed 4-star" packs are starting to get to me. Offering me a "Dark side starter pack" for $4.99, I can live with. Asking me to drop £79.99 for the Kylo+Finn pack is just ludicrous.

Battle system is fun enough though, so that's all I ask.

Ric Flair

Banned
Been having fun with this since I installed it a few days ago, but all of these "Guaranteed 4-star" packs are starting to get to me. Offering me a "Dark side starter pack" for $4.99, I can live with. Asking me to drop £79.99 for the Kylo+Finn pack is just ludicrous.

Battle system is fun enough though, so that's all I ask.
The sad thing is there are people that obviously are buying those super expensive packs.

Enjolras

Neo Member
The sad thing is there are people that obviously are buying those super expensive packs.
Yuuuuup. There's been a whole lot of Kylos popping up in the allies section recently. I mean, whatever makes people happy and all, but £80 for virtual characters instead of £80 on actual real life figures?

I just wish I had that much disposable income.

j-wood

Yuuuuup. There's been a whole lot of Kylos popping up in the allies section recently. I mean, whatever makes people happy and all, but £80 for virtual characters instead of £80 on actual real life figures?

To be fair, I just unlocked a 4* kylo without spending anything. He drops as a shard in cantina battle 4-3 i think. I just got to that battle and stopped progressing, using my sim tickets there every day. Only took a week or so

Aselith

Kylo is really easy to farm in Cantina. I have him myself.

Dwayne

Their QA is plenty fine from what i've seen, the game isn't crashy nor is it riddled with bugs, just balance issues from the design side. They've been proactive so far with making adjustments, and they're able to do most adjustments outside of a game update, so I'd expect more changes to come shortly after they see how the dust settles post-update.

Enjolras

Neo Member
To be fair, I just unlocked a 4* kylo without spending anything. He drops as a shard in cantina battle 4-3 i think. I just got to that battle and stopped progressing, using my sim tickets there every day. Only took a week or so
Kylo is really easy to farm in Cantina. I have him myself.
Ah, that might account for some of them. I'm a couple of levels off unlocking those battles, so wasn't sure how farmable they were.

Still pretty new to this game. What level should I have my characters at relative to those that I'm fighting? Is it safe for me to pump all my 1 and 2* training droids into my main characters?

Also how big of a boost is promoting a character up a star versus getting them up gear levels?

I don't care what they do this month... I'm sticking with Asajj. Her AoE is good and being able to negate taunts... I use that at least once per battle with Poes and Chewies as far as the eye can see.

But mainly because I've stuck too much into her to sideline her now.

Aselith

I don't care what they do this month... I'm sticking with Asajj. Her AoE is good and being able to negate taunts... I use that at least once per battle with Poes and Chewies as far as the eye can see.

But mainly because I've stuck too much into her to sideline her now.

Well considering the boosts to Mace, he will be very good and has buff removal also

Aselith

I'm collecting shards for him now... and Qui Gon. But it'll be awhile before they are added to my team.

I just think that Asajj having an ability that only heals her is so dumb. Like, if you need a heal, you need it NOW. And also if you need buffs removed you need them NOW. So she's got a highly situational heal where she can only heal herself AND only if the other team has a lot of buffs going at that exact moment. If it hits everyone, it just makes more sense. If it has some different effect like a reversal where defense up becomes defense down or something that makes sense. The "correct" way is not really any good.

Blank!

Still pretty new to this game. What level should I have my characters at relative to those that I'm fighting? Is it safe for me to pump all my 1 and 2* training droids into my main characters?

Also how big of a boost is promoting a character up a star versus getting them up gear levels?

Plan on being below the enemy level pretty often IMO. There are a couple stumbling blocks in PvE light side/dark side missions that may "force" you to out-level them (or bring in ringer allies to carry you) but most can be done underleveled. Ditto that with PvP/Galactic Wars.

Grand scheme of things, the order of importance is generally:

Gear > Levels > Stars.

Gear is the only way to increase (meaningfully) the majority of your stats that aren't HP/Damage. Your speed, potency, tenacity, etc. is solely dictated by your base-stats and your gear. Increasing stars/levels has no impact.

Levels tend to have more of an impact than Stars, but it's also much easier to increase your level and it depends on by what measurements you're going by.

Going from level 60 to level 70 is pretty comparable to going up from 6* to 7* (IE, a level 60 character at max gear at 7* is very close to being equal to a level 70 character at max gear and 6*).

To put it into a better perspective, going up 10 levels or increasing your stars from 6 to 7 is generally a ballpark 80-100 more damage and 800-1000 more HP.

This is why my general advice to new players is to stop starring guys at 5-6 stars depending on their purpose. There's a pretty large diminishing return for your investment getting that last star (or even going from level 68 - 70 or something which costs a coupld hundred thousand of credits). IMO, you should probably only level heroes up to the highest "gear" tier they require... that'll also save your droids/credits in the long run and let you work on secondary characters.

Jaleel

I'm only on stage 6 for both LS & DS and working on stage 5 of the cantina but so far I haven't found any spots to farm Old Ben shards. Are there spots later in the game to grind his shards or did you have to throw a bunch of money at the game to get him up to 6*?

Ben is cash only so ya :p Hopefully he'll be a cantina mission in future.

Biggs Darklighter is actually a mean machine if you gear him up and get the shards. I actually started using him in place of FOTP because he essentially has a double attack with his active and he takes a lot more damage. My Arena team is Luminara, FOTP, Biggs, Sid and Dooku. Highly recommended to get him. Also the IG-88 Sentinel is an extremely strong glass cannon character.

Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll go after Biggs, and IG-88. I got Lumeria and she is a beast! That team heal is to good

Top Bottom