• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes |OT| The best chance to unlock Kylo-Ren

_Ph03n1x_

Plan on being below the enemy level pretty often IMO. There are a couple stumbling blocks in PvE light side/dark side missions that may "force" you to out-level them (or bring in ringer allies to carry you) but most can be done underleveled. Ditto that with PvP/Galactic Wars.

Grand scheme of things, the order of importance is generally:

Gear > Levels > Stars.

Gear is the only way to increase (meaningfully) the majority of your stats that aren't HP/Damage. Your speed, potency, tenacity, etc. is solely dictated by your base-stats and your gear. Increasing stars/levels has no impact.

Levels tend to have more of an impact than Stars, but it's also much easier to increase your level and it depends on by what measurements you're going by.

Going from level 60 to level 70 is pretty comparable to going up from 6* to 7* (IE, a level 60 character at max gear at 7* is very close to being equal to a level 70 character at max gear and 6*).

To put it into a better perspective, going up 10 levels or increasing your stars from 6 to 7 is generally a ballpark 80-100 more damage and 800-1000 more HP.

This is why my general advice to new players is to stop starring guys at 5-6 stars depending on their purpose. There's a pretty large diminishing return for your investment getting that last star (or even going from level 68 - 70 or something which costs a coupld hundred thousand of credits). IMO, you should probably only level heroes up to the highest "gear" tier they require... that'll also save your droids/credits in the long run and let you work on secondary characters.

Great info, thank you! I'm also glad I asked now as in similar games the rank (star) your character is, is usually the biggest factor in power. Given how rng is, I'm glad it's not so much the case here.

Game needs grevious and jango.

You got that right. The PT had great villains in terms of design.

When I started playing this game back in December I wasn't logged into Game Center. Now if I log into Game Center I lose all of my game data. Is there anyway to link my account?

Dwayne

When I started playing this game back in December I wasn't logged into Game Center. Now if I log into Game Center I lose all of my game data. Is there anyway to link my account?

Sorry I don't know the answer, but why would signing into Game Center erase all your game data?

Aselith

Contact the game support and I would imagine they can

Because it thinks I'm starting a new account in GoH.

Go to the end of the tutorial and sign into your Gamecenter account again. It worked for me linking my phone but that was on Android.

Kumquat

Ugh. I must have been put on some super whale shard or something. I have a hella solid team much like a lot of you and I am constantly battling for #500 on the leader board.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ugh. I must have been put on some super whale shard or something. I have a hella solid team much like a lot of you and I am constantly battling for #500 on the leader board.

You just have to spend gems to move your way up. I find that once I moved up a ton, I wouldn't get pushed back so much each day.

Well... that escalated quickly.

I was handily winning Galactic War every day. Today I log on and about the halfway point, every team is about 5 ranks above my highest character. Ouchie.

Kumquat

Well... that escalated quickly.

I was handily winning Galactic War every day. Today I log on and about the halfway point, every team is about 5 ranks above my highest character. Ouchie.

Same thing happened to me. Difficulty suddenly spiked. I managed to make it through yesterday by sacrificing bench players in my last few fights so the other team had blown all of their special attacks, then bringing in my heavy hitters.

Setzer

Yep, difficulty in GW definitely spiked. Up until last Thursday I was able to complete it daily without too much difficulty....occasionally there would be some matches towards the end that would give me problems but nothing like the teams I've run into the last few days. On Thursday my account level was 63 and my highest level character was 62 and this is the team I was matched up against:

6gkEM9E.jpg

Even using my entire roster I was unable to get past that team. Also, my arena ranking has never been higher than 195 and I'm usually always in the 201-500 bracket....for those that are wondering. But every night since Thursday I've run into a team, either 69 or 70 with all 7* players. I'm all for a challenge but this is a little ridiculous.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Are droid/geonosean teams worthwhile? I got poggle the lesser out of a chromium pull, and am pretty close to having a droid or two if I spend a few days farming for them.

Sulik2

Those event changes, sounds like they are nerfing getting cash and drones from them. Time to farm money and droids before the nerf hammer hits. How about not making every single card require vast amounts Mark IV purple computers that are impossible to come by outside of the daily challenge?

commish

Those event changes, sounds like they are nerfing getting cash and drones from them. Time to farm money and droids before the nerf hammer hits. How about not making every single card require vast amounts Mark IV purple computers that are impossible to come by outside of the daily challenge?

I'm pretty sure that the goal is to improve them, not nerf them, as the events are pretty terrible atm. Not worth the energy cost at all.

Matticers

Are droid/geonosean teams worthwhile? I got poggle the lesser out of a chromium pull, and am pretty close to having a droid or two if I spend a few days farming for them.

Droid teams are considered to be pretty strong if you have Poe as a tank for the team. I've seen lots of posts from people saying they reach top 10 with droid teams. And with the upcoming change where you can see an opponents team in arena, I think most people will avoid teams that have Poe unless they make some kind of specific droid counter team which I think is pretty rare. Not to mention that whenever Grievous is added to the game, he should have some kind of droid synergy. Not sure about geonosian specific teams but I do know the geonosian soldier is one of the more well-liked attackers in the game. But IG-86 is pretty similar to him with his assist move, so you'll basically have that kind of attacker in a droid team.

I have HK-47, IG-86, IG-88, Poe and Poggle unlocked but they're all 4 or 5 stars except for 86 who is up to 6. So I haven't used the team in arena yet but plan to eventually. I run HK, both IG's, Sidious and Luminara for GW and it does really well for me there until the last handful of stages where I have to mix things up due to difficulty spikes.

I'm a little underwhelmed by IG-88 so far due to his low health but I kind of want to see how he does when he's fully geared and 7 starred. HK has a nice balance of health and good abilities but for me personally, IG-86 is the star of the show.

commish

I'm a little underwhelmed by IG-88 so far due to his low health but I kind of want to see how he does when he's fully geared and 7 starred. HK has a nice balance of health and good abilities but for me personally, IG-86 is the star of the show.

I have a 7 star maxed out 88. I think he's the only character that is on 100% of my teams when possible. He's the reason why I can defeat an entire arena team before they move. You just have to protect him until he gets that one AOE off.

Blank!

I have a 7 star maxed out 88. I think he's the only character that is on 100% of my teams when possible. He's the reason why I can defeat an entire arena team before they move. You just have to protect him until he gets that one AOE off.

If he was fast enough to kill a team before they moved he wouldn't need protecting :p the poe coin flip can go either way unfortunately. Just depends on how you want to build your team and what if any failsafe you want to add if you lose that coin toss.

Cth

Finally got Kylo, and Vader's set for the next day or two.

IG-88 is awesome with good gear and levels. He's still at 5 stars I think..

Moff

how is resist calculated?
I am specifically talking about Sidious' heal immunity debuff
the hit usually connects, but the debuff is resisted
I swear over 50% it's resisted.
I rarely see it resisted when the enemy sidious is using it.

what a I doing wrong? level? gear?

liezryou

how is resist calculated?
I am specifically talking about Sidious' heal immunity debuff
the hit usually connects, but the debuff is resisted
I swear over 50% it's resisted.
I rarely see it resisted when the enemy sidious is using it.

what a I doing wrong? level? gear?

There are two stats that affect whether or not a debuff is applied:

1) Potency
2) Tenacity

Potency increases the chance for the debuff to be applied to your target (of which Sidious has 0, hence the high resist rate you see).

Tenacity decreases the chance a debuff will be applied to yourself.

They are listed as percentages in the characters stats screen but no one knows exactly how the numbers work.

Sulik2

Is your defensive team in arena just the last team you fought with? Old Daka is incredible. Only five star, but her stun just wrecks people.

Iceman829

Yes. In other exciting news, Yoda announced, patch coming later today!

It's good news except my Jedi squad isn't ready yet. I was hoping for some extra time before the event kicked off.

Mace Windu 69/80
2* QGJ 15/25
3* Eeth Koth 6/30
4* JC 1/65
7* Lumi

I think I'll take a break from farming Jedi shards for the time being. Go back to upgrading my normal squad and rotate the Jedi upgrades in every once in awhile. It's going to be fun getting destroyed by Yoda.

I don't think the entire patch is live yet... my Asajj is still healing my entire team and Phasma is calling support on non-attack moves.

I'm liking the UI improvements though, especially the character screen.

UPDATE:
Asajj is now doing this!
ff2vSR9.jpg

j-wood

Update is live in Google Play store. It didn't pop up under my apps, but when I manually clicked on the game the update button was there.

HOLY SHIT guys this update is amazing. They beefed up the graphics, everything looks so slick. I cannot speak enough to the QOL changes as well. By far my favorite mobile game.

Blank!

random thoughts:

Health steal works, doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in PvP but a welcome change for PvE (Galactic War). Asaaj is likely a whole lot more usable in that arena since she seems to have crazy life steal. Ashoka might be pretty crazy too, haven't tried her out.

Free energy is nice. It's basically a "free" fill up + a little extra, so if you can hit all 3 times it's open it's a whole other farm run.

Little disappointed with the yoda announcement. I thought 4 star would unlock so I slacked on getting characters higher. I either have to do more cantina refreshes to get QGJ to 5 star faster or switch over to Ashoka for a few days (She's further along to 5 star). Eeth Koth should be 5 star toward the end of the event assuming it runs for at least a week.

Leader speed up ability now works first round of arena. I think people are overblowing how useful this makes quigon. He'll now have a chance of going first/before Poe which is kind of worse I think? Especially if your other burst characters DON'T end up going before poe, you'll waste a lot of attacks there. Faster Obi-wan could be dangerous though.

Can guarantee Leia first turn if you run an ackbar team. Doesn't seem worth it, but there's that. She's now the potentially fastest character in the game.

(EDIT) well looks like speed is bugged, just had an old ben go 2nd in a match... that shouldn't happen. Official site is a buzz.

Aselith

The Yoda event will run for a week then be gone for a few weeks then come back then repeat that at least once more iirc. You'Lloyd have multiple tries so just focus on it and you'll get him.

Moff

where is the yoda event? only the profit mining and the training droids hunt show up for me under events

ans hasn't there been a fifrth

Moff

thanks

I just realized I didn't finish my second line
wasn't there a fifth navigation icon on the left side, what was that? inventory? where has that gone?

Cth

Love the new interface changes.. pretty rare to see such a massive update, on a mobile, that's actually useful.

Progress tracking on gear you're collecting (and saying which characters can use it)

PvP preview is great, although it's made me more cautious.. I used to punch above my level and get lucky. Now, I'm being overly cautious.

Not thrilled about Yoda being locked unless you have a team of (7) 7 Star Jedis.

Aselith

Love the new interface changes.. pretty rare to see such a massive update, on a mobile, that's actually useful.

Progress tracking on gear you're collecting (and saying which characters can use it)

PvP preview is great, although it's made me more cautious.. I used to punch above my level and get lucky. Now, I'm being overly cautious.

Not thrilled about Yoda being locked unless you have a team of (7) 7 Star Jedis.

You can get him with a team of five stars he just won't be maxed

Aselith

Ahhh.. ok, that's not quite AS bad.

I still need to stock up on some Jedi though.. been focused mainly on the Sith.

It will be an event that runs multiple times with several weeks in between so if you focus now you can max out to get him potentially.

If anyone is curious about shard exchange rates in the shop, it's 5 character shards = 75 shop shards so 20 character shards for 2 characters shards which is not too bad.

And here's Yoda if folks haven't seen:

Pejo

So I'm not sure if I'm just the odd man out here, or if people are doing lots of purchases, but I've noticed that this game gets balls hard, right around the the 5th level for both light and dark sides.

I have hit a figurative brick wall on progression. I was trying to get up to 5-C light or 5-E dark so I could further upgrade gear levels on a few units, and holy shit. Bosses with thousands and thousands of HP, levels 1/3 and 2/3 with 5 characters all with AoE and stun/skill disable and they hit super hard. I mean what the holy fuck. The worst part is, on the preview, it shows that these guys are level 35-43, my team is almost all over 50, usually between gear levels of 4-6, with skills at levels 3-4.

How did all of you get past this hump in the game? Just forget about it and farm lower shards until you get a team of 7 star characters at level 70 or what?

Aselith

So I'm not sure if I'm just the odd man out here, or if people are doing lots of purchases, but I've noticed that this game gets balls hard, right around the the 5th level for both light and dark sides.

I have hit a figurative brick wall on progression. I was trying to get up to 5-C light or 5-E dark so I could further upgrade gear levels on a few units, and holy shit. Bosses with thousands and thousands of HP, levels 1/3 and 2/3 with 5 characters all with AoE and stun/skill disable and they hit super hard. I mean what the holy fuck. The worst part is, on the preview, it shows that these guys are level 35-43, my team is almost all over 50, usually between gear levels of 4-6, with skills at levels 3-4.

How did all of you get past this hump in the game? Just forget about it and farm lower shards until you get a team of 7 star characters at level 70 or what?

If they're the robots, they do a crapton of physical damage so you need to over level or get someone with a defense bonus. Eeth Koth will carry you passed those levels pretty easily. I had a ton of trouble until I got him and then did it easily due to his defense bonus leader skill, A well leveled Chewie would probably help too. Dark side you just have to over level basically since you don't have healers.

Pejo

If they're the robots, they do a crapton of physical damage so you need to over level or get someone with a defense bonus. Eeth Koth will carry you passed those levels pretty easily. I had a ton of trouble until I got him and then did it easily due to his defense bonus leader skill, A well leveled Chewie would probably help too. Dark side you just have to over level basically since you don't have healers.

Cool thanks for the tips. I'm at zero Eeth shards, but my Chewie is one of my top Light Side characters. I've done nothing with my cantina energy other than farm stage C for his shards, so i'm hoping to get him ranked up to 5* soon. I've been using him as leader for the def bonus, but it just feels like the enemy never gives me a real chance. I even have Luminara at 5* along with JC in my party, and between the both of them they just can't out-heal the damage. It's just shocking to me that the difficulty jumped up so quickly and so steeply.

What's worse, is I've been trying to 3* a few stages so I can sim them, and that's a damn near impossibility at this point. I really can't wait til i get enough Old Daka shards, she should help my dark side team tremendously.

Aselith

Cool thanks for the tips. I'm at zero Eeth shards, but my Chewie is one of my top Light Side characters. I've done nothing with my cantina energy other than farm stage C for his shards, so i'm hoping to get him ranked up to 5* soon. I've been using him as leader for the def bonus, but it just feels like the enemy never gives me a real chance. I even have Luminara at 5* along with JC in my party, and between the both of them they just can't out-heal the damage. It's just shocking to me that the difficulty jumped up so quickly and so steeply.

What's worse, is I've been trying to 3* a few stages so I can sim them, and that's a damn near impossibility at this point. I really can't wait til i get enough Old Daka shards, she should help my dark side team tremendously.

Yeah the best thing to do when you hit those walls is just sim the missions you do have and grind out shards while you level to a point where you can pass it. It's really not a huge deal to clear those missions because that is mostly about getting the higher gear levels. Just focus on gear for what you can do and getting more character shards and you'll get to a point where you can pass it over time.

Cth

As others said, strategize.

If you can borrow a character, that also helps.

Dooku is a good one at high levels for stuff like those stupid Jawas who launch 5 area of effects.

Don't use auto-combat as well in general.

I ended up getting past it by borrowing a high level Dooku, I think.

Blank!

Couple tips:

1- Stop farming Chewie, he sucks :( I seriously think all early game shards should go to Geno Soldier (1-1 in Cantina). He's incredibly solid, gets good HP, he's VERY fast, and assist every other turn is super important. Dead characters don't deal any damage.

2- Defense is really bad. Defense is STRAIGHT damage reduction, so if you have like 20 defense that's literally -20 damage from that attack. When you're getting hit for several hundred (or thousand depending on your level) damage, taking 50ish damage off the top of that is seriously depressing.

3- Borrow a high level ally, preferably one with AoE. If you find any Maul allies hold onto them forever. You can get full wave clears out of their AoE's a lot of the time (or serious damage) and allies who die don't count against you for star rating either, so Maul's low HP doesn't end up mattering that much either provided he gets you to where you need to be.

FWIW, I ended up 3-starring all the dark side missions without any healer. My team was usually:

Sidious (L), Dooku, Geno Soldier, IG-86, Ventress with a borrowed Phasma from an ally. This was when Ventress sucked too, she's much more PvE capable with her massive life steal now. Daka would have made a great replacement though.

If you stun someone, move onto a new target. The idea being to either kill or stun every character before they get a turn. Healers honestly suck for dark side and I would only consider Daka for the stun/double stun chance otherwise, another DPS would be better. You simply aren't going to be able to heal through the AoE damage in the tougher levels... so don't bother.

Make sure you're targeting/kililng the AoE bad guys and not the worthless taunters. Let them waste their first turn taunting (or healing). Much better they heal/taunt than deal damage.

Light side, I haven't had any trouble healing past most shit but I do run Barriss/Lum/JC so meh. Again, if you can borrow a high level hero that certainly helps. A high level QGJ with a mostly jedi squad makes PvE pretty easy... you want to ditch Chewie as soon as possible though. Too much healing/tanking and not enough damage will screw you over. You'll just hit a point where all your heals are on cooldown and your lowest HP characters start getting picked off. Need damage to counteract that at some point.

FWIW, Fives is PvE gold. Every AoE he counters with speed down which is like a death sentence for PvE targets. His tankiness means he doesn't need a whole lot of healing either.

Pejo

Amazing tips, thanks to all of you.

That defense info is honestly a gamechanger for me. I had no idea it was a flat reduction. Sounds great at low levels and terrible past that. Also, I kinda suspected Chewie was garbage, but I didn't have access to a Poe, so I thought a tank was necessary. I definitely see where having a fast offensive force could help those AoE enemy levels a lot.

I actually have a Maul, got lucky on a card pull, and he's definitely my clean up crew. That AoE is fantastic, and the fact that he can wipe out an entire enemy team if they're low on health while boosting his damage and self healing is insanely useful and saved my ass a lot. The problem is that he's pretty much eternally stuck on 4* since you can't farm his shards.

My team for the dark side so far has been

(L) Sidious, Maul, Talia (she sucks but it's my only healer), Boba Fett, and Phasma.

I have available to me (but underleveled): Greedo, Cad Bane, IG-86,Tarkin, Geonosian Soldier and a few of the stormtroopers that suck. I was also running the Tie Pilot for a while, as he was amazing in offense, but anything I'm fighting now pretty much one shots him.

In light of the advice above, I think maybe I'd be better off switching out Talia with the Geo soldier after I rank/level him a bit and going full offense. Might at least get by with a clear, if not a 3* clear.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Restarted my client and got the updated game data. Tried the 8 chromium pack trying for the new character Rex, but ended up with a bunch of shards and got JC twice which converted to 7 shards a piece. Not a great result at all.

In frustration did a single chromium pull and unlocked Qui-Gon Jinn. I was already working on farming him to unlock, so I am off to a head start. Much happier now!

Top Bottom