• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
There's a story group controlling everything.

The story group maintains continuity, they don't come up with the actual stories. The film guys by all accounts are given free reign and the story group makes sure the cartoon/comic/book types don't step on the film writers toes.

There have been interviews with multiple writers of the novels and comics and they say their only interaction with the story group is through notes. They still come up with the stories themselves

The story group maintains continuity, they don't come up with the actual stories. The film guys by all accounts are given free reign and the story group makes sure the cartoon/comic/book types don't step on the film writers toes.

There have been interviews with multiple writers of the novels and comics and they say their only interaction with the story group is through notes. They still come up with the stories themselves

I think for the movies Kennedy and the Story Group come up with the broad ideas and then the filmmakers are free to come up with the details.

The interesting thing is who has the final decision when they decide to kill off a character? That used to be Lucas, of course. Is this now Kennedy, Disney, or what?

Pagusas

Elden Member
The interesting thing is who has the final decision when they decide to kill off a character? That used to be Lucas, of course. Is this now Kennedy, Disney, or what?

Honestly I bet Harrison Ford had full say over whether Han lived or died. All he had to do was say "kill him or I'm not part of this film". Wasn't that the rumor, that he didnt want to do more than one?

The interesting thing is who has the final decision when they decide to kill off a character? That used to be Lucas, of course.

This isn't even the given it used to be. For example, when the writers group in charge of New Jedi Order went to Lucas to ask "Which characters are we safe to kill off for this series" He said "I don't care."

They could have killed off anyone they wanted.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

In this case it was almost certainly Harrison Ford. Probably the only way he'd agree to come back to the roll.

This isn't even the given it used to be. For example, when the writers group in charge of New Jedi Order went to Lucas to ask "Which characters are we safe to kill off for this series" He said "I don't care."

Yeah, but Lucas didn't give a fuck about the EU other than getting money from it. He knew that nothing mattered but what happened in the actual movies.

Yeah, but Lucas didn't give a fuck about the EU other than getting the money from it.

But who else was going to ask him who it was okay to kill? The only people in a position to do that are in the EU. He wrote all the movies after Jedi, and wrote the story for Jedi. There's nobody asking him who it's okay to kill in that scenario.

The only scenario in which someone used to be like "Is it okay to kill this fictional character?" is in the EU.

I mean, the person who decides if it's okay that a character dies is the writer/director. Which is probably how it should be. If a character has to die for the story to achieve it's full potential, kill that character.

He nixed the idea of bringing back someone else in the Darth Vader costume for Dark Empire. I think he got less hands on as time went on.

I think you're right. His two big vetoes seemed to have been that Dark Empire one, and the Clone Ben Kenobi one for Heir to the Empire.

Somewhere around the mid 90s (probably around the time Shadows of the Empire was getting planned and he knew for a fact he was gonna do the prequels so the EU had effectively served its purpose) he stopped giving much of a fuck, and by the time New Jedi Order was being planned, he apparently gave no fucks at all.

They could have killed every single classic trilogy character in that book series if they wanted and he was cool with it.

Rootbeer

Banned
MSW is reporting that they filmed TFA using Force FX lightsabers in many scenes, like the ones you can buy at retail only customized to be brighter.

As someone who owns several Force FX I really wonder how accurate those details are. It sure would make my Force FX collection feel more worthwhile if this were actually true.

I am going to assume they mean sabers SIMILAR to them, not actually made by Hasbro... but I'd really like to know!

We do have those rumors about Hasbro having some say about what goes in the film and vetoing certain things. Sounded outlandish at the time to me but if they used Hasbro to build props then maybe it makes a little more sense as to their close working relationship.

Just check out how far dueling lightsaber tech has come:

https://www.facebook.com/starwars.oaxaca/videos/vb.951695431539290/965890953453071/?type=2&theater

MSW is reporting that they filmed TFA using Force FX lightsabers in many scenes, like the ones you can buy at retail only customized to be brighter.

As someone who owns several Force FX I really wonder how accurate those details are. It sure would make my Force FX collection feel more worthwhile if this were actually true.

I am going to assume they mean sabers SIMILAR to them, not actually made by Hasbro... but I'd really like to know!

We do have those rumors about Hasbro having some say about what goes in the film and vetoing certain things. Sounded outlandish at the time to me but if they used Hasbro to build props then maybe it makes a little more sense as to their close working relationship.

https://www.facebook.com/starwars.oaxaca/videos/vb.951695431539290/965890953453071/?type=2&theater

They would have done this to achieve natural lightening effects on Boyegas face in the forest scene. Same thing they would have done in the Dooku Anakin scene in ep 2.

Doesn't seem out of bounds to me at all. Both the FORCE FX and independently made polycarbonate sabers can take some serious abuse. I think in Attack of the Clones they were literally just holding colored light tubes (which is why you never see them hit each other or swing them at each other) but in 2015, if you could use props that can take about 65-70 of the beating you need them to, and confine them to specific shots and angles - why not?

I kinda figured that's what they were doing when Finn's saber first came on. Hell of a lot easier than CG'ing light sources onto his face.

Kinda contradicts the fact (or is it a rumour?) that Luke's saber hilt is made from a Graflex flashgun like the original 70s prop. They probably just used the blades from the Force FX ones or used the same sorta tech.

Edit: Or they used Force FX savers for fight scenes and the Graflex flashgun hilt as the hero prop.

The article doesn't say they're Force FX. They were custom built sabers with similar tech:

The actors are basically using a custom version of the Force FX lightsabers we can buy at retail. The blades were, however, optimized to give off the right amount of custom glow and illumination for each sequence’s lighting demands.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
also:

12029718_10156015857920012_7684755322374607513_o.jpg

Pretty sure that's Finn. So Rey is likely super-fucked up at this point because

a) she thought they'd abandoned her and they didn't, just in time for
b) Kylo (who she only just now remembers as the guy that got her ass stranded on Jakku in the first place with that Temple Assault bullshit) to kill Han in front of her, before
c) seeing Kylo injure Finn.

Whatever this fight between them is going to look like, it's probably gonna be pretty impassioned.

That doesn't look anything like Finn's hair.

Ogimachi

It depends on the choreography, of course, but Force FX sabers are not very strong. They were probably similar, but with stronger blades.

That drawing screwed it up. Some of the hair tufts that the artist drew are clearly part of the forest trees, which are being hit with harsh white light.

It's Finn.

Yeah, just look around the rest of the picture and you can see some of these forest "hairs" on the left and behind Rey. Edit: Actually they look they like they are in front of her. Chewie sounds more likely, maybe he's holding Finn when he rescues them. Best of both worlds.

Harrison Ford was on Kimmel tonight. Weird that he is promoting it so early. Usually, the actors go on the talk shows the week of the movie premiere. Kimmel said he is going to have a special Star Wars special on November 23rd with JJ, Boyega, Ridley, and Driver.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
Kinda contradicts the fact (or is it a rumour?) that Luke's saber hilt is made from a Graflex flashgun like the original 70s prop. They probably just used the blades from the Force FX ones or used the same sorta tech.

Edit: Or they used Force FX savers for fight scenes and the Graflex flashgun hilt as the hero prop.

Yeah, the Graflex is the hero prop. The stunt props will almost certainly be lighter and more ergonomic.

That isn't to say a vintage Graflex couldn't be turned into an FX style saber. People have been converting them with electronics and light up blades for years.

That doesn't look anything like Finn's hair.

Yes it does.

The curly hairs you're seeing in the shot are guessed to be Chewie's. He's either standing over them about to bend over and pick Finn up, or he's already crouched down and is starting to lift him.

Those lights are the Falcon's.

Apparently - this image comes after Ren has fled the scene.

inm8num2

We know Finn gets badly injured in the fight with Kylo. We know Rey arrives and fights Kylo herself.

But if anyone actually needed visual proof that's Finn lying down in that shot (on top of what Bobby posted), here:

Same brown jacket, same seam running along the sleeve.

Sorcerer

We know Finn gets badly injured in the fight with Kylo. We know Rey arrives and fights Kylo herself.

But if anyone actually needed visual proof that's Finn lying down in that shot (on top of what Bobby posted), here:

Same brown jacket, same seam running along the sleeve.

Its Finn, its in the forest where he fights Kylo, see the tree in the background? Solo dies at the base and that base is destroyed.

inm8num2

Its Finn, its in the forest where he fights Kylo, see the tree in the background? Solo dies at the base and that base is destroyed.

Uhhh...I'm well aware and wasn't questioning it's Finn - that's obvious in my post, no? I posted an additional piece of evidence supporting it's him, since there was some discussion above.

Maybe I shouldn't have edited out the part of my post where I joked about how what's a pretty straightforward thing (especially given the spoilers we know) was reaching Breaking Bad season 5 levels of over analysis and over thinking (BB season 5 spoilers: https://i.imgur.com/M6nGsJy.jpg).

Sorcerer

Uhhh...I'm well aware and wasn't questioning it's Finn - that's obvious in my post, no? I posted an additional piece of evidence supporting it's him, since there was some discussion above.

Maybe I shouldn't have edited out the part of my post where I joked about how what's a pretty straightforward thing (especially given the spoilers we know) was reaching Breaking Bad season 5 levels of over analysis and over thinking (BB season 5 spoilers: https://i.imgur.com/M6nGsJy.jpg).

Apologies, I wasn't addressing you directly, just agreeing with you and pointing out to others.

kaiju

Man, these Star Wars commercials are something else. The latest Duracell commercial has some possible clues too: https://youtu.be/YBh0hgP8wWk

First of all, C-3PO with a red arm? Looks...different. Interested to know the reason behind it. Curious.

So the kid is pretending he is Luke Skywalker. Awesome. He's kicking ass with the blue lightsaber. But then he goes to save his sister, who is dressed like Rey. He throws her the motherfucking green lightsaber! Luke's daughter confirmed? Looking more and more like it.

I will lose my shit if this is anything like what's in store for us in TFA.

Joeytj

Banned
Man, these Star Wars commercials are something else. The latest Duracell commercial has some possible clues too: https://youtu.be/YBh0hgP8wWk

First of all, C-3PO with a red arm? Looks...different. Interested to know the reason behind it. Curious.

So the kid is pretending he is Luke Skywalker. Awesome. He's kicking ass with the blue lightsaber. But then he goes to save his sister, who is dressed like Rey. He throws her the motherfucking green lightsaber! Luke's daughter confirmed? Looking more and more like it.

I will lose my shit if this is anything like what's in store for us in TFA.

Threepio's red arm has already been on several toys and novels, not the first time we've seen them.

But having the girl dressed as Rey and having Jedi powers IS spoilery, and not just for those of us who have read leaks and rumors.

Two friends, who haven't read spoilers, were shocked to see that in this commercial.

kaiju

Threepio's red arm has already been on several toys and novels, not the first time we've seen them.

But having the girl dressed as Rey and having Jedi powers IS spoilery, and not just for those of us who have read leaks and rumors.

Two friends, who haven't read spoilers, were shocked to see that in this commercial.

Yeah I can imagine. It could all be just a "fantasy sequence" as indicated, but it sure is looking like they are marketing Rey as a Skywalker.

Also, holy fuck man. I just noticed the badass shuttle the First Order troopers are leading "Rey" to. Is this Kylo Ren's? Looks amazing.

Joeytj

Banned
Yeah I can imagine. It could all be just a "fantasy sequence" as indicated, but it sure is looking like they are marketing Rey as a Skywalker.

Also, holy fuck man. I just noticed the badass shuttle the First Order troopers are leading "Rey" to. Is this Kylo Ren's? Looks amazing.

And I just only noticed that too, about the brother possibly being Luke, with him having the blue lightsaber and her the green, just like it's rumored to end...

Geez Duracell.

Cheebo

Banned
And I just only noticed that too, about the brother possibly being Luke, with him having the blue lightsaber and her the green, just like it's rumored to end...

Geez Duracell.

The saber Rey has at the end is Luke's blue one not his green one.

Top Bottom