• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws locks Jabba the Hutt mission behind paywall

RaptorGTA

Really feels like Ubisoft is nickle and diming as much as possible on this game.

Really worries me cause they'll likely do the same to the next Div game. I really enjoyed the content for Div 1 ans Div 2. Fully supported it. But when the content is done and your holding back for more money. That's something EA would do.

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty @ $40 dollars. Yay!

Star Wars Outlaws Jabba the Hutt @ $30 dollars. No!

You people are a strange bunch.

Right? Yeah, pay walls for extra missions suck, but the hypocrisy towards Ubisoft is off the charts on Gaf and most other corners of the internet. The recent trailer that dropped caused a swath of negativity last week and I'm still trying to figure out what about it deserved that kind of reaction. Was it downgraded heavily or something? Honest question as I haven't sat down and really studied the trailer ...if so ok they deserve shit for that.

PS- were their last two games not pretty good? PoP was a great metroidvania and Avatar was decent and delivered one of the only true next gen games all gen.

I really think the hate is a bit overblown

1af

Jabba insisted on the paywall himself once he found out what the protag now looked like.....

OMFG 💀💀💀💀

don't buy it. make these publishers pay.

Haha, there are content creators who will buy it and then justify their decisions to their audience.

Case in point, The Division 2 where they had an outfit (singular) going for $25. Not even a pack or set of costumes but just 1 outfit which was supposed to be a reward for completing a long side mission. Sadly a bunch of people bought it so there's that 😂

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Sad, cause the game got such a good reception when they revealed it, and I guess when they realized it might not be 50% in a month after release, they're doing all they can to make that happen. They're actually thinking about us.

Right? Yeah, pay walls for extra missions suck, but the hypocrisy towards Ubisoft is off the charts on Gaf and most other corners of the internet. The recent trailer that dropped caused a swath of negativity last week and I'm still trying to figure out what about it deserved that kind of reaction. Was it downgraded heavily or something? Honest question as I haven't sat down and really studied the trailer ...if so ok they deserve shit for that.

Explain the hypocrisy to us.

Dazraell

Knowing past Ubisoft games that mission is probably something that will last for 15-30 minutes. I don't think they're completely paywalling Jabba's content as he was in a trailer and past reports mentioned that protagonist will work with him and his palace will be fully explorable. So I assume it's probably just a small side quest among many others jobs for Jabba that you can do for him. That being said, people who came up with this idea to put Jabba's name front and center for exclusive mission to imply you won't interact with hm otherwise have to be morons to think this won't garner controversy

Denton

That makes 0 sense.

They both made large AAA SP games and sold additional content.

The only difference is CDPR made you wait and Ubisoft didn't.

Both expansions cost time & money for their respective studios.
I wonder if you are really this braindead or if you are just trolling.

Explain the hypocrisy to us.
He can't because he doesn't know the difference between DLC which comes out 2 years after the initial game and consists of multiple missions (Cyberpunk) and day 1 content locked behind a paywall (Star Wars).

1 is an expension because of the initial game's success complete with a story arc and everything.
The other is a single mission locked away behind a priced Fuck You to potential buyers.

If he knew, he wouldn't have reacted the way he did.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sad, cause the game got such a good reception when they revealed it, and I guess when they realized it might not be 50% in a month after release, they're doing all they can to make that happen. They're actually thinking about us.
Yeah unfortunately the different editions leading up to $120, battle pass, paywall nonsense, ugly characters, what seems to be another boring sandbox Ubisoft game practically guarantees I'll never buy this game unless it's like $5.

Probably just has a couple big zones where you need to rep grind to progress which just isn't all that interesting. Would rather play as a Sith then a Smuggler anyway.

Puskas

This is the first Ubisoft game that I've been genuinely looking forward to since 2011 (Driver: SF).
Shame, but not entirely unexpected. The $120 pricing for the Gold Edition can fuck right off as well.

Oh well, I can wait a little bit longer. Should be on sale right around Christmas.

Oh man I'm about to defend Ubisoft a bit here..

I mean this is pretty messed up, but if you consider what we know about Disney and how much of a cut they expect from game sales, and how much the game has to sell to meet that demand.. Like this isn't Ubisoft using their own IP. They need to meet their expectations, and the expectations of the IP holder in Disney.

Let's see how the game does. Bottom line. Video game market isn't growing year over year. Inflation is growing. Dev costs are growing. Star Wars IP costs buckets. So, you gotta make that back, so you squeeze your existing customers for more. If this turns off enough people, you won't 'fix' the problem, instead you'll have game companies look to lower those upfront costs. Less developers, less time, less IP projects. More Helldivers, less Spiderman. Not necessarily a bad thing, but everything has a cost bro.

You justify Ubisoft being a greedy cunt on Disney being a greedy cunt. They are perfect examples of companies that should be ignored for multiple reasons, from scamming to disrespecting their fanbase.

And yes, we need more Helldivers and less IPs milked by incompetent fools. A game like Spiderman or Star Wars shouldn't have a budget of 300 million USD. That's insane and customers must not pay for this.

Braag

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty @ $40 dollars. Yay!

Star Wars Outlaws Jabba the Hutt @ $30 dollars. No!

You people are a strange bunch.
Phantom Liberty has 25+ hours worth of content. Adding a whole new district with a new questline, bunch of side quests, tons of new weapon, armor and vehicle options and a new ending to the base game. All for 40€.

Ubisoft is offering A MISSION which I doubt is even an hour long for 30€....

FunkMiller

I am surprised people will actually buy this shit game from this shit company.

They will. And that's what Ubisoft counts on.

Honestly, the worst thing about the games industry is actually the attitude of a large amount of gamers who'll eat whatever shit these people are shovelling.

'So many games, and you choose to buy Ubi.'

Honestly, the worst thing about the games industry is actually the attitude of a large amount of gamers who'll eat whatever shit these people are shovelling.

Welcome to the mainstream. This is mainstream anything. The majority of consumers for most forms of medium will quite literally lap up shit and thank you for it. Just look at how awful most of the big budget TV and Films are. It's because they can get away with it.

The issue is doubly compounded when its an IP like starwars which gets nostaglia and fandom bonus points. Can absolutely get away with murder.

I do also think making games in general is too expensive now. Mostly thanks to bloated staff numbers and the chase for higher fidelity visuals, neither of which are necessary to make great, lengthy games. Honestly AI tools if used correctly will hopefully dramatically reduce the cost of game making and cut down on the amount of useless clowns who work in the industry. Then game prices can be more reasonable.

Roufianos

They will. And that's what Ubisoft counts on.

'So many games, and you choose to buy Ubi.'
Ubisoft is a struggling company, not the major success they once were.

Zheph

Could have said the same about Avatar which seemingly sold like shit. Of course it's going to chart highly in its first week but not guaranteed to e.g. hit 5m sales.
I don't know, Avatar isn't Star Wars but we will see... I am already surprised by how many people are waiting for a discount, if you are not interested just skip it discounted or not

Lunarorbit

The last time I bought a ubisoft game at full price was child of light.

Their games are so formulaic that I can't justify paying full price.

Dazraell

Phantom Liberty has 25+ hours worth of content. Adding a whole new district with a new questline, bunch of side quests, tons of new weapon, armor and vehicle options and a new ending to the base game. All for 40€.

Ubisoft is offering A MISSION which I doubt is even an hour long for 30€....
Funny thing is that this guy is so lazy he didn't even bothered to check as Phantom Liberty was 30 dollars and that Gold Edition for Outlaws would be 40 dollars on top of what you already paid for the base game

Not that I want to defend Ubisoft (as I lost any interest in this game and if I will buy it, it will be on a deep sale), but technically speaking, this mission is something that is added on top of the Season Pass. So the main thing you'd be paying for are two unnanounced DLCs, the mission itself is "an extra" that is paywalled behind it

Oh man I'm about to defend Ubisoft a bit here..

I mean this is pretty messed up, but if you consider what we know about Disney and how much of a cut they expect from game sales, and how much the game has to sell to meet that demand.. Like this isn't Ubisoft using their own IP. They need to meet their expectations, and the expectations of the IP holder in Disney.

I'm seeing this narrative emerge online that this is Ubisoft being greedy, and I just don't think I agree with that take. I think this is more of a.. project that started when the game market was on the upswing. Now it's launching at a time of decline and inflation, and they have a huge hole to dig out of to make back dev cost and appease Disney. In short, this is more complicated than it seems, I think Ubisoft is in an unfortunate position and know that their sales projections at $70 won't make ends meet, so they have to incentivize a percentage of customers toward a higher cost of entry.

Anyway, doesn't matter, if you don't like the practice, vote with your wallet and don't buy the game. But the hard economics around game development and the current market are what they are, these companies have to recoup costs, or lower the costs of development, which means lower quality games. So. idk.. I mean if the base game had everything in it, why would anyone buy the $110 version right? And they need some people to spend more because the general gaming public isn't going to be willing to go above the already steep $70. So how do you get some folks to buy in? You put exclusive shit in it.

Let's see how the game does. Bottom line. Video game market isn't growing year over year. Inflation is growing. Dev costs are growing. Star Wars IP costs buckets. So, you gotta make that back, so you squeeze your existing customers for more. If this turns off enough people, you won't 'fix' the problem, instead you'll have game companies look to lower those upfront costs. Less developers, less time, less IP projects. More Helldivers, less Spiderman. Not necessarily a bad thing, but everything has a cost bro.

The idea that this is because of Disney falls apart when you realize Ubisoft does this all of the time in their games. In the past it’s typically been missions cut out day one and made timed exclusive to PlayStation users, timed exclusive missions or content cut out day one for people who preorder or buy the “day one edition”, and this isn’t the first time they’ve removed content and made it available day one for “gold edition” owners.

Ubisoft is a shitty, greedy publisher.

Top Bottom