• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Spoiler discussion thread: THERE WILL BE UNMARKED SPOILERS!

As of 9:32 PM on December 18, 2017 - Here is my list. Naturally, it changes rather sporadically.

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of The Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rouge One
Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
The Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones

Atrus

Gold Member
Just came back from watching this and have to say it was a genuinely bizarre and terrible film. Star Wars is supposed to be a gigantic space opera but instead we got an episode of Star Wars Rebels stretched into a 2+ hour film that in the end isn't even as good.

We have the unceremonious death of bad guys with unexplained back stories or motives and now we're left with comedic relief General and angsty young adult Sith, neither of which have any of the ominous presence of previous bad guys. For antagonists, the New Order is obscenely dumb to the point where I don't see how a bunch of AT-ATs did not just blow Fynn to kingdom come when he drags Rose all the way back to the base or you know, use their other ships to pen the Resistance ship they're chasing. Just because the resistance ship is running dry doesn't mean you can't encircle it by hopping ahead yourself.

The original trilogy is filled with memorable moments that leave people mimicking them for generations, this however I would not want to see again unless its to bridge to an absolutely astounding third film. I also find it wierd that the CGI is really bad in places(Luke & Rey on the pedestal area on the island, levitating boulders, etc.)

Gtafans93

Despite the film's issues, of which there are many, there were still elements that resonated with me that I just love going back to it.

I enjoyed the angle they took with Anakin's development. Even looking outside of the stuff with his mother there are some smaller beats that connect with OT Vader in ways that I thought worked very well. McDiarmid continued to kill it as Palpatine and I enjoyed his scheming and the seeds of him manipulating Anakin. It wasn't super overt which I thought was the right idea.

Obi-Wan's detective story was great. Yoda and the younglings, Kamino, Jango being an actual badass unlike his son, the whole thing just worked.

Anakin's side of things was rougher due to the dialogue but I thought Hayden's physical presence and acting is a bit underrated and there were some touching moments with Watto and Shmi that I appreciated. I'm also fairly easy to please when it comes to love stories so I had no trouble getting invested in the Padme/Anakin stuff despite some of the dialogue.

William's work on the score was absolutely incredible and the sound design had some excellent moments particularly the seismic charges during the asteroid chase.

The action sequences were all really exciting and different outside of the droid factory sequence and the lightsaber duels at the end.

Lucas obviously isn't that great a director but there are some beautiful moments and I liked the camera work during the big battle on Geonosis. I thought that segment did a better job of being a "war movie" than Rogue One did personally.

I'm a huge Christopher Lee fan so him having a role in SW film is always going to be a plus.

I also much preferred how Lucas approached subverting expectations. The clones being tools of the republic instead of this outside threat and positioning Anakin close to what you would expect out of Luke's father instead of what people were expecting from a young Vader. Seeing the parallels in their personalities and situations and how Anakin couldn't overcome them like Luke did was the right idea as far as I'm concerned. They aren't mirror images of course but I find the way the film starts to paint the Jedi as being partially responsible for Anakin's fall and how they almost repeated the same mistakes with Luke to be far more effective than TLJ subverting expectations merely for the sake of being divisive.

There are plenty of things about the movie that I would love to change but I really enjoyed what it went for and the new worlds, situations and the context it provided. I was just at point in my life where it really connected with me personally and when it comes to SW that's really all I ask for.

It's a messy movie to be sure, although not rogue one messy, but outside of some of the humor it just really fits my own sensibilities. I totally get everyone else not liking it though.

As a big fan of Attack of the clones I wanna point out that Anakins weird lines make sense in his context. He's around a women he loves and had a big moment with as a child in TPM. And now he has to look over her. Like an Angel (smooth ass line from kid Anakin) But here's the thing since being in the jedi order he cant have this. He cant act on this. But he does. And well no ones perfect when it comes to being in love. Especially when he has no practice at it since jedi aren't aloud too.

Honestly All AOTC Needs at least for me is the padme and Anakin deleted scenes to be put back in. And a few dooku ones. And it becomes one helluva Solid star wars film.

Iced Arcade

The Force Awakens left you wanting more with questions. The last Jedi could literally be the end of a trilogy because it didn't leave me wondering... anything really.

Random question: Reys force vision of kylo in the force awakens? Is this just forgot about or did I miss something?

luxsol

The Force Awakens left you wanting more with questions. The last Jedi could literally be the end of a trilogy because it didn't leave me wondering... anything really.

Random question: Reys force vision of kylo in the force awakens? Is this just forgot about or did I miss something?

According to the director, it's forgotten or wasn't written in Awakens yet when he finished his own script. In other words, he doesn't give a shit, so maybe Jar Jar Abrams will pick it up with his second squat on the franchise.

Since we're doing rankings

ESB
ANH
RotJ
RotS
TPM
RO
AotC
Clone Wars movie from 2008
Ewoks 2
Ewoks 1
FA
LJ

So happy JJ is coming back to finish this trilogy.

Agree with your post mostly except this part about JJ. He is notoriously bad at closing things out in a satisfying way! He is ok with teasing and setting things up. But treats endings as after thoughts.

Like everything that was done after the original trilogy, this movie is mostly just cashing in due to popularity of the franchise. The story doesn't really stand on its own, and the movie is filled with scenes designed to appeal to a certain viewer demographic. Light saber battles, cutesy cgi animals, diversity up the wazoo etc. I can't help but feel how forced these things end up feeling. But that's the case for all blockbuster movies, and particularly franchise sequels. It's never going recapture the magic of the originals. It'll always be filled with calculated profiteering designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. If you can accept that, these movies can be enjoyable for what they are, but nothing more. Personally I was never a huge fan of Star Wars but enjoyed them regardless. I just don't expect the new movies to be anything more than cash cows. I don't see how it would be possible for them to make a truly interesting sequel that wasn't filled with cutesy CGI animals or robots to sell to kids as toys.

Fbh

In all seriousness what exactly are we looking forward to in the next episode there was nothing left that was open to look forward to...?

Oh I'm sure they can send Finn and Rose on an hour long journey to get some spare parts for the falcon or something

And then we have the final showdown between Rei and Kylo I guess.
And if Rei trains for like...a week she is going to destroy him since she is already the most talented force user of all time

JimiNutz

Banned
It's weak, but Snoke did actually put Ren in position to do just that. He stated as much explicitly. By bringing Rey in and giving Kylo the opportunity to kill her, thus "completing his training."

Ah you're right, I completely forgot about that line. I guess a lot of my criticism comes down to the way that Rian handled these questions and ideas from TFA. Shocking the audience by doing something different is fine, I actually welcome that, but it seems like Rian just wasted a lot of cool ideas and what he did give us just didn't feel very satisfying or build any excitement for future installments.

Maybe my opinion will change once I've had a second viewing but that's going to have to wait because I didn't enjoy the film enough to want to sit through it again so soon.

The generalized consensus seems to be Star Wars aficionados hate it and everyone else thinks its a really good/cool/fun movie. Sounds about right.

BANGS

Banned
The generalized consensus seems to be Star Wars aficionados hate it and everyone else thinks its a really good/cool/fun movie. Sounds about right.

I think this comes from the hardcore fans having all kinds of expectations that didn't get fulfilled... Whereas the casuals were able to view it from a fresh perspective...

Chuckie

Where do you get that from? I know it is anecdotal but most SW fans I know loved it. Reacctions in the theatre seemed really positive too and you'd think those going 7 in the morning could be considered aficionados.

Where do you get that from? I know it is anecdotal but most SW fans I know loved it. Reacctions in the theatre seemed really positive too and you'd think those going 7 in the morning could be considered aficionados.

I went to see it at 1:30 am. I'm not an aficionado. I loved it however.

Where do I get that from? Looking through this thread which seems to be full of aficianados and some articles I read.

Chuckie

I went to see it at 1:30 am. I'm not an aficionado. I loved it however.

Where do I get that from? Looking through this thread which seems to be full of aficianados and some articles I read.

I rather think the aficianados (I consider myself one) are divided, but that the people who hate it are a bit louder in expressing that hate. I mean when people are putting it below Ewok movies and Clone Wars, you know what is going on.

Mark Hamill said he wishes that they went with George Lucas's ideas for episodes 7-9. After seeing this movie, while fun to watch, i agree with him. http://uproxx.com/hitfix/mark-hamill-george-lucas-star-wars-the-last-jedi/

I bet it would have had the Jedi Order rebuilt, with Luke as the leader, and the all powerful new republic facing down a cunning new enemy. It probably would have been similar to the prequels though.

"What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,' ‘8,' and ‘9'. And it is vastly different to what they have done..."

I rather think the aficianados (I consider myself one) are divided, but that the people who hate it are a bit louder in expressing that hate. I mean when people are putting it below Ewok movies and Clone Wars, you know what is going on.

That's a fair assessment too.

Raziel

I'm not an 'aficionado' nor am I invested in the lore, so I don't really care about the story revelations going one way or the other.

I thought it was thoroughly average, boring, and generally not special in any way.

evanft

This is a strawman being thrown around to discredit people who didn't like the movie. Just lump them together as "Star Wars aficionados" or whatever and suddenly we can dismiss their criticism as coming from a fanboy perspective that just wanted the movie to fit into whatever mold they were expecting.

I mean, most of the problems I had with it would have been issues in any film. A movie that is too long, has a poorly done subplot, and generally dumb decisions is going to be bad whether it's a Star Wars film or not.

Grinchy

Banned
I liked some aspects, but overall, I didn't care much for the movie. I really liked 7, so I expected to enjoy this one at the very least. I came away just feeling lukewarm about it. I had major problems with the ridiculous military strategies that just killed my suspension of disbelief. Finn's entire storyline just felt like a desperate attempt to include him in the movie, pad the running time, and shove in some more CG action scenes. So many things just didn't feel like they mattered at all - Phasma was pointless, Snoke has no character or backstory, ect. It's like the marketing team dictated things instead of competent writers.

There were tons of kids at the theater, and they seemed bored as hell. One kid was flopping forward, turning around, and flopping forward again into the recliner in front of me. Another kid kept walking over to one of his parents who had to keep reassuring him that it would be over soon. Then, of course, there were people in and out of the theater throughout the whole thing, with the squeaky door being opened and closed from 10 minutes in all the way through to the end.

This is a strawman being thrown around to discredit people who didn't like the movie. Just lump them together as "Star Wars aficionados" or whatever and suddenly we can dismiss their criticism as coming from a fanboy perspective that just wanted the movie to fit into whatever mold they were expecting.

I mean, most of the problems I had with it would have been issues in any film. A movie that is too long, has a poorly done subplot, and generally dumb decisions is going to be bad whether it's a Star Wars film or not.

Nah. You just sound like you're taking my observation personally. I did bold 'generalized consensus' for a reason. There's plenty of evidence to back up my observation.

I'm not an 'aficionado' nor am I invested in the lore, so I don't really care about the story revelations going one way or the other.

I thought it was thoroughly average, boring, and generally not special in any way.

There's definitely room for this opinion also!

Atrus

Gold Member

Even if you view this film as a movie unto itself, its just a bad movie overall. Nothing truly memorable or iconic as a film, poorly paced, poorly written with internal inconsistencies and frankly not something that I for one will see again unless the 3rd salvages the overall story.

Labelling it as an issue with 'fans' is just a lazy way to salvage some dignity for the film.

Chuckie

Even if you view this film as a movie unto itself, its just a bad movie overall. Nothing truly memorable or iconic as a film, poorly paced, poorly written with internal inconsistencies and frankly not something that I for one will see again unless the 3rd salvages the overall story.

Labelling it as an issue with 'fans' is just a lazy way to salvage some dignity for the film.

Except I wasn't labelling it as an issue with fans...considering I literally said the fans were divided.

What I do want to know is if the movie is so objectively bad, why is it getting such good reviews? Is it really Disney paying all those critics? And I am not talking some Youtubers, but rather those of newspapers and sites etc.

Except I wasn't labelling it as an issue with fans...considering I literally said the fans were divided.

What I do want to know is if the movie is so objectively bad, why is it getting such good reviews? Is it really Disney paying all those critics? And I am not talking some Youtubers, but rather those of newspapers and sites etc.

Yes you've hit the nail on the head here. This is the 'evidence' I was speaking of in my earlier post.

ShodanMAN

Exactly. My criticisms of 'The Last Jedi' are based on facets of movie making; Character development, pacing, lack of cohesive story telling and the fact that even though Rian Johnson is a good director, he focused a little too much on ''making something of his own'' rather than focusing on creating the middle chapter of a trilogy. The majority of people criticising this film aren't talking about ''head canon'' or saying things like ''the lightsaber looks dumb'', they are highlighting legitimate problems the movie has.

It's strange for me, but the more I think about the film, now that I've seen it, the more I start to dislike it. Sort of like attack of the clones, where I watched it at the theater and thought it was OK. Then, a few days later, realize how dumb it was and eventually don't really care to ever see it again.

I liked some of the sequences in the film, I liked some of the twists and turns, I liked seeing Luke and Yoda. But the more I mull over the film the more issues I have with it.

I still don't hate the film, and enjoyed watching it at the theater. I fear that, over time, I may grow to dislike it in the end. The hate grows in this one.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think this comes from the hardcore fans having all kinds of expectations that didn't get fulfilled... Whereas the casuals were able to view it from a fresh perspective...
I didn't really have any theories or expectations, I knew it wasn't going to go the way I thought it was, pun intended but there's just so many bad stuff that stands out.
Which was laughable while people are saying it's good.
And Lukes legacy should have been emotional but was more "WTF Really"
People said the same thing about Ghostbusters 2016 when ever someone said any negative about it and that film was frigging terrible.
same applies here.

Hissing Sid

I love the narrative that’s being pushed by some.

Fans who aren’t enamoured with TLJ are apparently curmudgeonly old grump-a-lumps, who are just too set in their ways to be able to appreciate the majesty of tit-sucking, cowardly wiener Luke.

Whereas those who like TLJ are free thinking adepts of teh modern wirld (TM), versatile of mind, and fully equipped to be able to appreciate the glorious artistic vision of Nu Star Wars (All rights reserved), as envisaged by the Great Mouse Media Factory.

Damn my head cannon! Damn it all to hell. I must have just imagined all that lore and all those character arcs set up during the previous forty years worth of films and material.

Yeah that must be it. It’s not a shit film or anything. I’m just old man yells at cloud.gif

Obviously.

BANGS

Banned
People said the same thing about Ghostbusters 2016 when ever someone said any negative about it and that film was frigging terrible.

People said alot of dumb shit about that film(like anyone who dislikes it was a sexist) so I wouldn't really give any credence to anything anyone said about it other than it's hot garbage...

longdi

Banned
I didn't really have any theories or expectations, I knew it wasn't going to go the way I thought it was, pun intended but there's just so many bad stuff that stands out.
Which was laughable while people are saying it's good.
And Lukes legacy should have been emotional but was more "WTF Really"
same applies here.

I agree!

Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad slapstick film that has a cheap TV look, people defended it by calling us out as sexists.

TLJ is a terrible film too, im not even a grumpy old starwars fan. Terrible plot armor, subverted the whole point of TFA which subverted the OT. Hey at least TFA was a better directed film, with good flow and explanation.

poisonelf

Generalized consensus you say?

What's with this new trend that anytime a new blockbuster is not getting worshiped a very specific set of reasons is thrown around as to why the audience/paying customer is to be blamed?

So in this case it's not the countless plot holes and absurd inconsistencies that people keep bringing up, the cardboard characters to the point of being caricatures, the bland, stupidly childish humor, the drawn out boring scenes, no.

If I didn't like the movie I'm obviously a diehard fan who can't accept anything different than what my childhood nostalgia dictates, therefore not to be taken seriously since I'm hardly entitled to an opinion. Good to know.

I'm using this quote since it was recent, I'm not saying that you personally imply everything of the above, but similar arguments are all over the place.

This movie felt like it was going back in time with its technology.
Act 1: WW2 bombing run Dambusters style
Act 2: One sailing vessel chasing another, both unable to escape or close in
Act 3: Medieval siege with a battering ram being wheeled up to bring down the gate

This movie felt like it was going back in time with its technology.
Act 1: WW2 bombing run Dambusters style
Act 2: One sailing vessel chasing another, both unable to escape or close in
Act 3: Medieval siege with a battering ram being wheeled up to bring down the gate

This post was funny!

I watched it, i think i did. Because it all felt like fucking nothing.

There is breaking away from tradition and there is terrible directing from rian.

Luke milking the cow, drinking the milk and gave that fuck you rian look. Someone need to screencap that face.
If you told me the Wayans directed Luke’s scenes I’d believe you.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People said alot of dumb shit about that film(like anyone who dislikes it was a sexist) so I wouldn't really give any credence to anything anyone said about it other than it's hot garbage...
I've seen people say the same about Jedi.
people who don't like it are sexist and racist.
Which is jarring as everyone likes the characters from TFA and Rogue One
People love Rey she just doesn't have a back story which we thought we'd get.
So we are pissed that Phasma is underused and Rey is given a lazy background, Fin is given a shitty subplot and Luke Skywalker dies of a hernia.

pramod

Banned
In 10 years time this movie will be universally regarded as one of the worst sequels of all time. And one that destroyed one of the most popular franchises of all time. Come at me.

In 10 years time this movie will be universally regarded as one of the worst sequels of all time. And one that destroyed one of the most popular franchises of all time. Come at me.

Maybe not to that extent but I agree with you. The movie is already getting split reviews from fans. Once the honeymoon period ends most people will regard this movie as a disappointment.
It happened with TFA. It happened with RO. And it will happen again with this one.

I don't know a single person IRL that doesn't think this movie is trash. I barely like Star Wars and this movie was just plain terrible. Only reason it has any decent reviews is because fans don't want to admit it's bad.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

maybe not franchise destroying, depending on the next movie.

but definitely one of the worst sequels of all time. nothing made sense, it wasn't fun, and didn't build on anything from the previous movie in any appreciable way.

luxsol

I think this comes from movie fans having all kinds of expectations that didn't get fulfilled, like continuing with the themes and story from the first movies... Whereas movie watchers who turn their brains off for spectacles were able to view it from a fresh perspective...

fixed that for you

Judging by how people defend this movie and how the director himself has talked about how he made this movie, it's pretty clear that they don't really care for the franchise, because of how willing they are to ignore glaring flaws.
You guys can point toward how these movies are just cheap cash ins and how movies aren't supposed to be good, but look at the original trilogy and how their actually strived to make something good.
Even the prequels aimed to be good and be more than just forgettable summer flicks.

Top Bottom