• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Spoiler discussion thread: THERE WILL BE UNMARKED SPOILERS!

Kadayi

Banned
Haven't seen it, but based off of what I've heard elsewhere and what's been said here I can't say I feel particularly motivated to see what by all accounts appears to be some attempt by Disney to turn Star Wars into Guardians of the Galaxy as if somehow that was a necessary ingredient to guarantee box office success.

VVV Mars VG

The big problem with the Rose/Finn romance is that it didn't even exist until she just kissed him out of nowhere. Even Finn looked confused.

Yeah, she had only known him for 5 hours, I've had dates last longer with booze and not make that progress haha!

Gtafans93

I think Jeremy is right that Finn and Rose's "romance" was the worst romance in SW history including the prequels.
Think about that.

https://youtu.be/-A9rYcBmBFo?t=369

But Padme and Anakin were a fine romance. and it makes sense. They are there for the biggest moments of each others lives And both contributed to that immensely. Then in two as they are older things change. Sure Anakin is emotionally broken especially after his mums death. But padme see's the good in him and tries to bring it out and does but well ROTS. Truthfully The relationship makes more sense with the deleted scenes from AOTC which to me makes it very close to Leia and Han level (Then Again there Love kinda came out of no were since Leia gave shit to both Luke and Han in ANH and by the end she wouldn't even give han a smile at the ceremony)

there's a lot there as well Padmes very professional with it all Anakin trys but being emotionally unstable makes things complicated.

And the sand line makes sense as well. Anakins in love you say and do stupid shit in love. Also As a jedi not only is he not suppose to have these feeling he's not suppose to act on them. Plus Obi wans not gonna put Anakin aside and say "If you want to flirt with a women do this" But being older than most jedi and growing up with the idea of his emotions not being controlled. he doesn't listen.

Pasedo

It's disappointing how there wasn't enough jedi / Sith fighting scenes. I was hoping to see Luke against Snoke and displaying some incredible force powers. I was also hoping to see some awesome jedi / Sith combat with the knights of Ren. I really feel it's lacking the essence of what makes SW which is this fight again the dark and light side of the forces. Now that Luke is gone it's only going to be even more lacking. Not all excited for the next one. I hope the reboot trilogy brings it back to kick ass jedi action.

Sorcerer

Did anyone else find it weird that Rey asks Kylo to put on a shirt? Or did I misunderstand what she was saying? It just seems like a strange line in the middle of all the drama.

plushyp

Did anyone else find it weird that Rey asks Kylo to put on a shirt? Or did I misunderstand what she was saying? It just seems like a strange line in the middle of all the drama.
Apparently this was the reason:
“The way in which [director Rian Johnson] decided to create the Force connection by just simply doing vertical cuts without using any CG … it’s pure simplicity in terms of filmmaking with visual cuts. We cut to her side; we cut to Kylo Ren; we cut to her; and back and forth. That was important to establish what she was actually seeing. Was she hearing his voice or seeing his face or just his eyes? And so that [shirtless scene] is to inform the audience, ‘Oh, she can see his body.’”

https://screenrant.com/last-jedi-shirtless-kylo-ren/

JimiNutz

Banned
For those people that are so disappointed in the way Luke was handled, do you not expect this to be remedied in the next installment? Luke will surely be coming back as some kind of Force Ghost mentor to Rey (or Ben?) and if he was at 'peace' at the end of TLJ he will probably be a bit more like the old Luke and a lot less grumpy in IX. Maybe we will see Force Ghost Luke vs Force Ghost Snoke in IX? Battle of the dead space wizards lol

t-storm

I did not interpret the Finn/Rose thing as a romance. It was more of a friend love thing they were developing after all they had been through.

And remember how she idolized him when they first met. I liked this comment I read elsewhere online:

Watching the kiss happen, I thought it was something more in line with "if I’m gonna die, I’ll better kiss this idol of mine before it happens", rather than it becoming a full romantic story.

t-storm

For those people that are so disappointed in the way Luke was handled, do you not expect this to be remedied in the next installment? Luke will surely be coming back as some kind of Force Ghost mentor to Rey (or Ben?) and if he was at 'peace' at the end of TLJ he will probably be a bit more like the old Luke and a lot less grumpy in IX. Maybe we will see Force Ghost Luke vs Force Ghost Snoke in IX? Battle of the dead space wizards lol
My spidey sense says Snoke is as dead as a door nail and we won't see him again XD

Love *IS* a battlefield
image.php

Matt_09

What did people want from Luke? A super-bad ass Jedi master who fucked everything up?

Luke has had three encounters with Sith and been defeated in two of them. Luke was defeated by the Emperor and would have been killed if not for Vader. This would leave Luke with a fear of the dark side(rs) and as he says in TLJ about his attempt on Ben, "It was a moment of instinct that passed instantly".

The version of Luke we see in TLJ is the Luke that we should have expected. The fans are too close to the franchise and have so much invested in it that no matter what happens, it will be divisive.

A lot of criticism of Luke is unjustified as in the end he does exactly what most fans seem to have wanted. Faced down the First Order on his own, defeated Kylo Ren and passed on the baton to the new Jedi. He just didn't get there in the way many fans wanted him to.

TFA was slagged off because it was too similar to A New Hope. It didn't take enough risks etc. TLJ is slagged off because it ISN'T a retread, or is too dissimilar to the OT.

The film is too long and the Canto stuff could have been condensed or removed, but other than this this is the strongest Star Wars film so far (besides Empire).

Hissing Sid

The version of Luke we see in TLJ is the Luke that we should have expected.

Mark Hamill disagrees with you, but then wtf does he and half the fan base know? Entitled cry babies with their preconceived notions and unreasonable entitlement....

I mean it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Luke that we see at the end of ROTJ, was destined to become a lily-livered space-bum with a lactation fetish..

Yeah, these days he’s beyond silly shit like ‘laser swords’, (Holy fucking shit) and being a master of his fears. Time to kick back and enjoy the life of a half-crazed, tit sucking hermit. Ahhhh that sweet sweet titty milk.

So expected. How did we all not see it coming? The arc was so obvious!

Yeah, no. Everything about Lukes portrayal in TLJ is offensive and repellent. It’s like these fuckers deliberately went out of their way to upset people.

Seriously, are these cretins so certain of their golden egg laying goose, that they can afford to just let random guests take pot shots at it?

I dunno. The whole situation is just weird.

Atrus

Gold Member
People who write off criticism as coming from “fans” continue to peddle a cheap straw man to protect... I’m not sure what, as this is an easily forgettable movie far beneath the original trilogy. This is a poor film first and foremost without even needing to get into the settings narrative.

I figure this will work itself out over time much like the Matrix sequels, SW prequels, Indiana Jones 4, Ghostbusters revamp etc. as defenders move on to defend the next terrible film.

I still can't get over how stupid Luke's death was. My girlfriend immediately asked me "did he just die?" and it was legit confusing. I was furious at how poorly it was done, I mean what killed him? Space cancer?

Atrus

Gold Member
I still can't get over how stupid Luke's death was. My girlfriend immediately asked me "did he just die?" and it was legit confusing. I was furious at how poorly it was done, I mean what killed him? Space cancer?

As my buddy and I were discussing after the film; if astral projecting yourself across the galaxy was so taxing... did Luke really need to be levitating himself while doing it?

It was probably that little bit of extra effort that got him killed lol.

As my buddy and I were discussing after the film; if astral projecting yourself across the galaxy was so taxing... did Luke really need to be levitating himself while doing it?

It was probably that little bit of extra effort that got him killed lol.

Yeah, absolutely. And couldn't he have made it shorter? Like explain to people they should evacuate briefly and not waste too much time being a badass? The whole scene was idiotic, it was supposed to be a climax and it fell way short. Luke's character in this movie sucked anyway, I've seen people downplaying the criticism it's receiving as the fanbase not wanting the director to "take risks". If you "take risks" and do something batshit stupid, you should receive criticism.

I get that Luke was traumatized from nearly killing his nephew, but the characterization was terrible and a huge part of that is how family oriented Disney movies are. You can't really touch at really dark themes. Instead of being gloomy and broken, he was a goofy bum.

kunonabi

What did people want from Luke? A super-bad ass Jedi master who fucked everything up?

Luke has had three encounters with Sith and been defeated in two of them. Luke was defeated by the Emperor and would have been killed if not for Vader. This would leave Luke with a fear of the dark side(rs) and as he says in TLJ about his attempt on Ben, "It was a moment of instinct that passed instantly".

The version of Luke we see in TLJ is the Luke that we should have expected. The fans are too close to the franchise and have so much invested in it that no matter what happens, it will be divisive.

A lot of criticism of Luke is unjustified as in the end he does exactly what most fans seem to have wanted. Faced down the First Order on his own, defeated Kylo Ren and passed on the baton to the new Jedi. He just didn't get there in the way many fans wanted him to.

TFA was slagged off because it was too similar to A New Hope. It didn't take enough risks etc. TLJ is slagged off because it ISN'T a retread, or is too dissimilar to the OT.

The film is too long and the Canto stuff could have been condensed or removed, but other than this this is the strongest Star Wars film so far (besides Empire).

Luke falling back on the Jedi ways and it screwing everything up, again, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Him going off to be a hermit under certain conditions and being jaded and guilty about it all is also perfectly fine. It's just Johnson's execution of it that doesn't work with the character. I couldn't care less about him dying or not being as OP as the rest of the fanbase apparently wants.

TLJ for all its desire to be subversive still retreads a bunch of stuff just not as badly as TFA.

enewtabie

I watched it last night with my son and Dad. Didn't like some of the comedic parts. Rey and Ren fighting together was great and will probably happen again in the next one. Sad we lost Admiral Ackbar. I didn't like how Luke was used. Not as good as the last two movies to me.

shira

For those people that are so disappointed in the way Luke was handled, do you not expect this to be remedied in the next installment?
I think that this trilogy (7-9) was supposed to be Leia's arc and now that she passed away it makes no sense for what they were setting up.

Pretty much now it's do whatever you want for 9 because 10-12 are going to be Rian original stories.

By killing Snoke and not having Leia, it's either going to be Kylo kills Rey or Rey kills Kylo because you need an ending. Neither of those options seem interesting. I would have really preferred a final scene with Leia and Kylo.

t-storm

I mean, it followed almost the exact same way how Yoda went out in episode V.

Paracelsus

I mean, it followed almost the exact same way how Yoda went out in episode VI

Which is the problem, they parroted Yoda except we never got to know Yoda as a lively young wannabe-padawan on the path to learn the ways of the Force, we only ever knew the old mellow Yoda and cranky jaded "go away" Yoda. The first impression is what sticks with people. A completely out-of-character flashback doesn't turn Luke into the mess we see in EPVIII, it's outright unacceptable.

The irony of it is, we didn't really need three damn movies to have Anakin fall into the dark side, we could've used at least one to see Luke and Ben Solo falling apart. Once again, they try to do many things, never the right ones.

zoukka

Haven't seen it, but based off of what I've heard elsewhere and what's been said here I can't say I feel particularly motivated to see what by all accounts appears to be some attempt by Disney to turn Star Wars into Guardians of the Galaxy as if somehow that was a necessary ingredient to guarantee box office success.

If you trust the carnival if stupid going on around the movie, it’s your loss.

thequestion

Mark Hamill disagrees with you, but then wtf does he and half the fan base know? Entitled cry babies with their preconceived notions and unreasonable entitlement....

I mean it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Luke that we see at the end of ROTJ, was destined to become a lily-livered space-bum with a lactation fetish..

Yeah, these days he’s beyond silly shit like ‘laser swords’, (Holy fucking shit) and being a master of his fears. Time to kick back and enjoy the life of a half-crazed, tit sucking hermit. Ahhhh that sweet sweet titty milk.

So expected. How did we all not see it coming? The arc was so obvious!

Yeah, no. Everything about Lukes portrayal in TLJ is offensive and repellent. It’s like these fuckers deliberately went out of their way to upset people.

Seriously, are these cretins so certain of their golden egg laying goose, that they can afford to just let random guests take pot shots at it?

I dunno. The whole situation is just weird.

Yup. I'm pissed off by this too. While watching this film, it felt like the director was telling fans of the OT trilogy to fuck off.

Also with Luke, if he was too much of a badass, the spotlight would be on him and not the new characters like Rey, Kylo, and Jar Jar binks, er, i mean Rose.

Kadayi

Banned
If you trust the carnival if stupid going on around the movie, it’s your loss.

Fans don't have anything to lose airing their grievances, reviewers on the other hand do. Disney is way too big now (and apparently getting bigger) for anyone professionally to openly shit on whatever they push out the door, without fear of consequences with regard to interviews and access down the road. With an RT of 94% TLJ has to be a near flawless cinematic experience by any measure, yet judging by the public response (54%), that does not seem to be the case. There seem to be a bunch of legitimate issues people have with it with it from what I can fathom.

Seems to me that there's a clear schism at play, somewhat akin to that which occurred when ME3 was hailed as the second coming by reviewers but was significantly less well received by fans. Clearly, Disney fucked up, and they might want to reconsider that Trilogy they're planning with Johnson, and the particular route they're choosing to go down.

Kid Ying

Saw yesterday. Found the movie to be a bit boring most of the time. Lots of plots that go to nowhere, Poe is a prick and everything involving him is awful.

Kylo, on the other side, got much better this movie than in the last one. The final 30 minutes were pretty intense also. It ended on a pretty high note, but i wouldn't watch it again.

Fans don't have anything to lose airing their grievances, reviewers on the other hand do. Disney is way too big now (and apparently getting bigger) for anyone professionally to openly shit on whatever they push out the door, without fear of consequences with regard to interviews and access down the road. With an RT of 94% TLJ has to be a near flawless cinematic experience by any measure, yet judging by the public response (54%), that does not seem to be the case. There seem to be a bunch of legitimate issues people have with it with it from what I can fathom.

Seems to me that there's a clear schism at play, somewhat akin to that which occurred when ME3 was hailed as the second coming by reviewers but was significantly less well received by fans. Clearly, Disney fucked up, and they might want to reconsider that Trilogy they're planning with Johnson, and the particular route they're choosing to go down.

Yeah and dismissing the negative reaction this movie is getting from its fanbase is shortsighted. The fans don't know shit, but critics do? Seriously?

There are some legit issues, people aren't complaining over senseless shit. Luke's portrayal in this movie is legit moronic, Finn is a fucking terrible character, Poe and Rose are fighting to see who's the next Jar Jar, space horse sequence was Phantom Menace-like... There's too much awful stuff mixed with the good stuff. If not for Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley, this movie would be complete garbage.

Shouta

What's interesting about Johnson' take on Luke is that he takes a look the negative parts of Luke's personality that have always existed. Some of the things that Luke does in the original trilogy can be looked at in that way.

When he rushed off to try and save Han and Leia in ESB, he ignored the warnings of Yoda to not go. He means well trying to do that but it shows off his impatience and a bit of his own self-importance. Han and Leia were his closest and most skilled companions. They could handle themselves but Luke thinks he has to be the one to save them.

The same thing happens in Return of the Jedi with his fight against Vader. Luke loses himself in an moment of fear and anger when Vader brings up Leia. It causes him to overwhelm Vader and almost kill him until that feeling goes away.

Luke's tale in TLJ remember these aspects. He feared Ben's inner darkness, didn't trust Ben to follow his teachings and down the right path, etc. What happens hits Luke harder than ever because up until this point, he's only failed himself. Ben was the first time he failed someone close to him. When you consider Luke thinks of his friends and family most of all, a failure like that would hit him like a thousand Death Stars.

In the end though, he comes to terms with everything. The last shot of him looking at the twin suns really makes it feel like he's come full circle. He's given up all of the associated burdens of the Jedi by burning the texts alongside Yoda. His mindset is of the same young man, who wasn't a Jedi, that ages ago that set off from Tatooine to save a princess looking for help.

That's how I feel about his arc. It's been swirling in my head the last few days and it's still kind of hard to organize the thoughts right now but that's the idea.

pramod

Banned
By killing Snoke and not having Leia, it's either going to be Kylo kills Rey or Rey kills Kylo because you need an ending. Neither of those options seem interesting. I would have really preferred a final scene with Leia and Kylo.

Or they can do:

Kylo kills himself(or sacrifices himself)

Some super weapon is blown up by the Resistance and Kylo dies in the explosion.

Finn kills Kylo

Kylo dies as a Jedi (fade into nothing like Luke or Obiwan)

Kylo falls into some wormhole or exiled to a different galaxy and is never seen again

Hissing Sid

What's interesting about Johnson' take on Luke is that he takes a look the negative parts of Luke's personality that have always existed. Some of the things that Luke does in the original trilogy can be looked at in that way.

Sure Luke was whiny. Sure Luke was impatient. Sure Luke was naive and reckless. Sure Luke was scared..... and then over the course of three films we all watched as those edges were ground off by the trials and tribulations that he had to go through.

At the end of ROTJ our Luke is now a well rounded, mature individual confident in his abilities and mindful of his limitations. He’s faced his demons and won the battle against his fears. His steadfast love, loyalty and respect for his friends and remaining family is unbreachable and has seen him win through to the end. He finally stands before us as a fully fledged Jedi, saviour of the galaxy and hero of the hour.

And then along comes this Rian guy who proceeds to pick out some of the elements that make up Lukes character from different time periods of his character arc... he puts them all in a hat, jumbles them up and then spews them at the screen with a total disregard for any thematic context or coherent character continuity.

I don’t know what other people watched but what I saw was not Luke Skywalker. What I saw was some bastardised, corrupted depiction of Luke as envisaged by someone without a clue, and seemingly without art.

Fucking. Awful.

I've come around to appreciating the overall character arcs in the movie, for the most part, after spending some time reading opinions on the Star Wars subreddit. I still find everything in the movie that doesn't revolve around Luke, Rey, Kylo, and Snoke to be a complete mess.

can someone explain the hole of negative energy Rey explored and why nothing came of it?

I'm pretty sure that's not what it meant, but I think maybe it was to symbolize fear? Rey emerges from it after she keeps herself calm and conquers her fear (isolation and not knowing who her parents are).

The voice-over though was fucking jarring considering it's only featured in one scene and on a franchise that doesn't feature first person narration IIRC. Rian Johnson truly is the Jar Jar of Star Wars directors.

Shouta

Sure Luke was whiny. Sure Luke was impatient. Sure Luke was naive and reckless. Sure Luke was scared..... and then over the course of three films we all watched as those edges were ground off by the trials and tribulations that he had to go through.

At the end of ROTJ our Luke is now a well rounded, mature individual confident in his abilities and mindful of his limitations. He's faced his demons and won the battle against his fears. His steadfast love, loyalty and respect for his friends and remaining family is unbreachable and has seen him win through to the end. He finally stands before us as a fully fledged Jedi, saviour of the galaxy and hero of the hour.

And then along comes this Rian guy who proceeds to pick out some of the elements that make up Lukes character from different time periods of his character arc... he puts them all in a hat, jumbles them up and then spews them at the screen with a total disregard for any thematic context or coherent character continuity.

He definitely grows throughout the trilogy and that reaches its climax in ROTJ but he's still imperfect up until the end as his fight with Vader shows. Who's to say that he becomes this infallible person after the end of the trilogy and that he'd never make mistake or never get angry and disappointed.

TLJ shows that he isn't perfect and still has flaws. They didn't disappear entirely, there was just something bigger there at the time, like how it often is for people. It eventually got to him when it involved his own family/friends and because it was his own mistake. With some help though, he found his way back again.

I can understand not wanting to see Luke become just another flawed person as he's a paragon at the end of the original trilogy. However, I think what happens with him in this movie is pretty in character based off what we know. If anything, I think it makes him an even more appealing character because he's now been hit with more hardships in his life but has found the strength to move forward again. He's still that amazing person we see at the end of the ROTJ but just a little more human.

This is also how I felt about Han in The Force Awakens who has a very similar arc in that movie. Han wasn't able to cope with what happened to Ben and it caused him to revert to his smuggling life and separate from Leia. Yet, he finds hope again to try and fight for his son and reunite with the love of his life.

can someone explain the hole of negative energy Rey explored and why nothing came of it?

Not really sure if they had enough information in the film to really discern anything about that hole. It would be something interesting to tackle in the next film if they bring back any concepts from this into that.

The most we can see is that there's something there and it could cause a Jedi to lose themselves. Rey's own purity, I guess?, allowed her to interact with it head on remain unphased. Symbolical, it's 100% fear but it'd be neat if there was actually something there.

I've come around to appreciating the overall character arcs in the movie, for the most part, after spending some time reading opinions on the Star Wars subreddit. I still find everything in the movie that doesn't revolve around Luke, Rey, Kylo, and Snoke to be a complete mess.

Yeah, it also doesn't help that none of the other characters really had a direction they could go with coming from TFA. Their characterizations weren't, IMO, strong enough to help figure that out. They tried a bit in this but it kinda just doesn't work. Poe was too cliche in this film. Finn doesn't have anything he wants to work towards or fight for. The characters they introduced in this aren't bad but sabotaged by some of the hollywood cliches and likely, executive meddling.

Oops oh yes, my bad, I meant VI.

Well, similar in that they both faded with their clothing collapsing/withering away.

Kind of I guess, but Yoda was really old and the scene was done in a way that you'd have no doubt he was going to die. I guess that astral projection must be taxing, but why did he die from that? I went out for a run today and it was pretty exhausting and I didn't die.

Not to mention the scene was poorly built IMO. He comes back, looks okay, then he sees the 2 suns and he fucking dies out of the blue. Yoda made you think "yeah, he's dying", where Luke gets you thinking "wait, what?! did he die?". One scene is sad but reassuring, the other is confusing and damn near unjustified.

t-storm

Kind of I guess, but Yoda was really old and the scene was done in a way that you'd have no doubt he was going to die. I guess that astral projection must be taxing, but why did he die from that? I went out for a run today and it was pretty exhausting and I didn't die.

Not to mention the scene was poorly built IMO. He comes back, looks okay, then he sees the 2 suns and he fucking dies out of the blue. Yoda made you think "yeah, he's dying", where Luke gets you thinking "wait, what?! did he die?". One scene is sad but reassuring, the other is confusing and damn near unjustified.
Good points. I remember though that Luke did tell Rey early on that he had come to that island to die. I didn’t interpret that he died specifically as a result of the projection but because he was able to connect with Leia one last time, confront Kylo one last time and help the resistance escape. My takeaway was that it was just timing and he had fulfilled what he was there to do.

Good points. I remember though that Luke did tell Rey early on that he had come to that island to die. I didn’t interpret that he died specifically as a result of the projection but because he was able to connect with Leia one last time, confront Kylo one last time and help the resistance escape. My takeaway was that it was just timing and he had fulfilled what he was there to do.

That's a valid way to look at it and yeah, maybe they were going for a more poetic reason why he died. It was still very confusing, like at first I thought he was simply at peace with himself and then he's dead. Something went very wrong there.

The Hermit

Can't wait to see episode IX ! Will the progressive army defeat the nazis ?

Well it's disney, so yes. But how ?

Violently

At the end of ROTJ our Luke is now a well rounded, mature individual confident in his abilities and mindful of his limitations. He’s faced his demons and won the battle against his fears. His steadfast love, loyalty and respect for his friends and remaining family is unbreachable and has seen him win through to the end. He finally stands before us as a fully fledged Jedi, saviour of the galaxy and hero of the hour.

I don’t know what other people watched but what I saw was not Luke Skywalker. What I saw was some bastardised, corrupted depiction of Luke as envisaged by someone without a clue, and seemingly without art.

Fucking. Awful.

Mark Hamill agrees with you.

This is the first star Wars since Revenge of the sith that I won't watch in the theatre. The noooooo scene this time is the Superman Leia scene.

Top Bottom