• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Nete

And several of the Elite TIE Fighter pilots are great cheap filler. Dark Curse, Night Beast, Wampa, Backstabber. Mithel... they are all great if you have 15-18 points to spare.

Same with the TIE/fo guys.

In other news, I'm in love with a new combo I've tried: Scum firespray (Kath or Boba) with Dengar + Predator or Lone Wolf. Add a HLC for extra lulz.

H1PSTER

Store tourney list #2

Two days left... I haven't gotten a huge amount of experience with this but I think it could do well if I just focus fire, what do you folk think?

Decimator & Vader

100 points

PILOTS

Commander Kenkirk (63)
VT-49 Decimator (44), Push the Limit (3), Ysanne Isard (4), Emperor Palpatine (8), Engine Upgrade (4)

Darth Vader (37)
TIE Advanced (29), TIE/x1 (0), Predator (3), Engine Upgrade (4), Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Nete

Store tourney list #2

Two days left... I haven't gotten a huge amount of experience with this but I think it could do well if I just focus fire, what do you folk think?

The list is great. Kenkirk is infuriating to face, and Vader is Vader. I don't like Push the Limit on Kenkirk tho, as the greens on the dial are alright but they aren't great.

I would switch it for Determination, so it becomes even more annoying, and add the title to make sure you will always get your action. Things like doing a boost *after* a collision to surpass the fucker and shoot him on his ass never gets old.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The list is great. Kenkirk is infuriating to face, and Vader is Vader. I don't like Push the Limit on Kenkirk tho, as the greens on the dial are alright but they aren't great.

I would switch it for Determination, so it becomes even more annoying, and add the title to make sure you will always get your action. Things like doing a boost *after* a collision to surpass the fucker and shoot him on his ass never gets old.

Ysanne, Push the Limit and Engine Upgrade make for a good combo to get off of asteroids, though. If you land on one, you still get to do an evade action at the beginning of the Combat Phase thanks to Ysanne (if you've lost your shields and taken a hull damage, of course), and when you do, you can Push the Limit to boost off of the asteroid, allowing you to attack. Helpful when you have a big, unwieldy ship making its way around the board. The green maneuvers are limited, but you take that tradeoff to be able to run over rocks and still attack.

Determination isn't a bad choice for a Decimator, though.

Your list is good, BTW, H1pster. Not a ton of damage output but if you focus on one target like you said, your various shenanigans should make the most of those attacks.

H1PSTER

Ysanne, Push the Limit and Engine Upgrade make for a good combo to get off of asteroids, though. If you land on one, you still get to do an evade action at the beginning of the Combat Phase thanks to Ysanne (if you've lost your shields and taken a hull damage, of course), and when you do, you can Push the Limit to boost off of the asteroid, allowing you to attack. Helpful when you have a big, unwieldy ship making its way around the board. The green maneuvers are limited, but you take that tradeoff to be able to run over rocks and still attack.

Determination isn't a bad choice for a Decimator, though.

Your list is good, BTW, H1pster. Not a ton of damage output but if you focus on one target like you said, your various shenanigans should make the most of those attacks.

Used it today and went 1/0/4 :(.

As you said, it needs more dice and that's something I'll make sure I have in my next list!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
On that note, I'd like to show you guys a list I've titled "I Have You Now":

Colonel Jendon w/ ST-321, Emperor Palpatine (37 points)
Darth Vader w/ TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer, Predator, Engine Upgrade (29 points)
Omega Leader w/ Juke, Comm Relay (21 points)
TOTAL: 100 points

So I took this list to a store championship today ... and I won! It's the first time I've ever won a store championship (it was the sixth SC I've played since 2014). There were only four of us, but they were really good players, including the player who won the 10-player store championship I TO'd last week. I went 3-0 with a margin of victory of 544... I lost the shuttle in the first game and then the shuttle was down to just a couple hull in the third game. Didn't lose anything in the second game.

YFdDQll.jpg

My first game was against a Regenerating Poe, a TLT Y-Wing and a TLT HWK (with Recon Spec). I gunned down the TLT ships first, losing my shuttle in the process because he focused it down, then went two-on-one with my Vader and Omega Leader whittling down Poe. He really should have been able to kill my Omega because they were one-on-one for a couple turns while Vader was out of position, but he got horrible red dice and I got surprisingly decent green dice. Omega's ability (target locked ship can't modify dice against Omega) was super helpful here.

My second game was against Brobots B + C each with HLC, Crackshot, Glitterstim and something else I don't remember. I've never done well against Brobots and it's been a year since I last flew against one of these lists, so I really didn't feel good about my chances. But somehow, this was the game in which I didn't lose a single ship nor did the shuttle even lose half its health. He wasn't able to focus down any of my ships ... he tried to focus on Vader but I did a good job of eluding fire just enough to keep him alive. I had Vader bump into one IG-2000 to deny it a shot on him while getting out of the other IG's arc. Then I ran Vader away to the edge of the board, baiting my opponent into pursuing (Vader was down to one hull!), which allowed my Omega and shuttle to drop in behind them and just chew up the IGs.

My third game was against last week's store championship winner, now flying two Ion Cannon Turret Scum Y-Wings (each with Unhinged Astro, one with Ion Bomb, one with Connor Net) and a PS3 Z-95 Headhunter backed up by Dace Bonearm's HWK with TLT. His idea was to lay down ion tokens and use Dace's ability to do damage to whoever is ioned. It certainly disrupted me a bit — the shuttle and Vader each got ioned once, with Vader getting ioned only because a Y-Wing 3-turned past him and dropped an Ion Bomb right onto him — but I still won by killing a Y-Wing on like the second round of firing, then killing Dace Bonearm two turns later (my Omega s-looped behind him after the initial confrontation with the Y-Wings and the Z, then moved forward and barrel rolled in just the right spot so that Vader would bump into him instead of into Dace, allowing me to get two range one shots on Dace). Then I just tracked down the other Y-Wing before finishing off the little Z-95.

I'm now 7-1 with the list, including 4-1 in tournaments. My only loss was to a Firespray-Hound's Tooth list in a winter kit tournament a couple weeks ago.

I actually keep track of all my wins and losses in tournaments for X-Wing, and with my three straight wins in today's store championship, I'm finally back over a 50% win rate ... for the first time since December 2012, when I went 2-1 in my first X-Wing tourney, a Kessel Run event. The very next tournament after that I went 0-2 with a bye and I never had an overall winning tournament record until today, although for the majority of the time I was very close, just a few games under .500. So today was a pretty good day!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The rest of the Wave 8 ships have switched to "shipping now" on FFG's Upcoming page. So stores should have plenty of time to get it in stock ahead of the hard-and-fast March 17 release date.

Nete

I've used A-wings in the few games I've played with Rebels (lists with a couple of Greenies with Wired, or one/both of Jake and Tycho), but I never played with a pure A-wing list until today... and oh boy, what a blast.

Quad Greenies with PTL, Wingman and Hull (which, as I discovered later, is known as Green Arrow at the FFG forums) has already become one of my favourite lists. Wingman makes it stupidly maneuverable. I don't think I've ever had this fun just flying my ships, and that's saying a lot as I always go for the "what I like to use" instead the usual "what is good to use". Not even with good ol' TIE Interceptors or Emon the Mad Bomber.

And I won both games by 100-0, though they weren't the best players around here.

I've used A-wings in the few games I've played with Rebels (lists with a couple of Greenies with Wired, or one/both of Jake and Tycho), but I never played with a pure A-wing list until today... and oh boy, what a blast.

Quad Greenies with PTL, Wingman and Hull (which, as I discovered later, is known as Green Arrow at the FFG forums) has already become one of my favourite lists.

By "Hull" I'm guessing you mean title?

Nete

Hull Upgrade. The title is used, of course, I just didn't thought it was necessary to mention it with the two Elite upgrades there :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Regional Championships locations and dates have been posted, but no word yet on what the kits will contain: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/x-wingtm-2016-regional-championship-locations/

Here's a list of the locations sorted by date; there are 31 now, up from 25 last year and 16 two years ago:
Code:
April 9		Albuquerque, N.M.; Roanoke, Vir.
April 16	Marietta, Ga.; Rochester, N.Y.
April 23	Niles, Ill.; Independence, Mo.
April 30	West Melbourne, Fla.; Wixom, Mich.; Tulsa, Okla.
May 7		Fresno, Calif.; Roseville, Minn.; Martinsburg, W.Va.
May 14		Anchorage, Alaska; Broomfield, Colo.; Murray, Ky.; Selden, N.Y.; Greenfield, Wis.
May 21		San Diego, Calif.; Plainville, Mass.; Durham, N.C.; Springfield, Ohio; Portland, Ore.; Austin, Texas
May 27 to 29	Tacoma, Wash.
May 28		Fargo, N.D.
June 4		Mountain View, Calif.; Monroeville, Penn.; Plano, Texas; Salt Lake City, Utah
June 11		Glen Burnie, Md.; Billings, Mont.

And here's a small map I made showing the locations:

XlShuhm.jpg

Nete

In Spain we have the same amount of Regionals than last year (6), although we seem to have a higher demand. Some of the hosts have stepped up their game tho, and for instance Madrid has gone from 110 players (plus 62 reserves) to 160 and 64 guys (for now) on the waiting list. Barcelona, from 80 to 124.

This is from a tournament hosted by the Madrid guys 3 weeks ago, with 150something players after some pre-tourney drops.

Thought about going to a store championship so I looked up the locations:

V4kpVFK.png

Each of those dots is about an hour from me; the one in Baltimore already passed. How far away do most of you go for store champs? I don't regularly play at any store since I live in the boonies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thought about going to a store championship so I looked up the locations:

V4kpVFK.png

Each of those dots is about an hour from me; the one in Baltimore already passed. How far away do most of you go for store champs? I don't regularly play at any store since I live in the boonies.

My closest regional has always been 2 hours and 15 minutes away from me, which I went to a couple years ago. Then the next closest one was 3 hours and 30 minutes away, which I've not gone to, so I guess that's my breaking point. This year there's another regional that's a bit more than 2 hours away, which I'm happy about, so I have a couple options.

I'd love a regional that was only an hour away from me, let alone three, geez.

My closest regional has always been 2 hours and 15 minutes away from me, which I went to a couple years ago. Then the next closest one was 3 hours and 30 minutes away, which I've not gone to, so I guess that's my breaking point. This year there's another regional that's a bit more than 2 hours away, which I'm happy about, so I have a couple options.

I'd love a regional that was only an hour away from me, let alone three, geez.

Those aren't regionals, those are just store champs! (The blue is a regional though.)

Nete

How far away do most of you go for store champs? I don't regularly play at any store since I live in the boonies.

I live at 20km from Barcelona and there are tons of stores doing things there, so I don't need to move a lot. It takes me around 50 minutes since I walk out the door if I use the train. Driving would take me around 30 minutes, but parking the car in weekends can be a nightmare here. Or a wallet murder attempt. Good ol' Europe and our lack of space in the cities.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Those aren't regionals, those are just store champs! (The blue is a regional though.)

Oh, whoops, sorry! I've been in Regional mode today.

The farthest I've ever driven for a Store Championship is about an hour. That was a year or two, though. This year, three stores that are half an hour away from me, give or take five minutes, hosted tournaments and that's been much nicer. An hour is a bit much but not totally crazy. A lot of people drive an hour to attend various Store Championships.

Mrcapcom

So where will everyone purchase their Wave 8 Ships?

Also I was super hype to buy Inquistors Tie & Mist Hunter for Tractor Beam but now I found out its included in Imp Vets what real reason would I buy Mist Hunter for other than 2 Tractor beams? Would it be better to just buy two Inquistors Tie's?

I play mainly Imperial btw.

Slermy

I placed an order with some friends a Miniature Market.

I too play mainly Imperials and am super excited for the Imperial Veterans pack (pre-ordered as soon as I was able). I also think the base TIE Advanced Prototype (with title) is a pretty good deal, so I'm grabbing a couple of those as well.

A big reason to grab the Mist Hunter though is for the "Adaptability" card. I'm going to try to hold out myself until I know exactly how it works.

Guys,
Need help deciding on a list for a store tourney tomorrow

List1
Poe with VI,auto and r2d2
miranda with TLT and c3po (or tactician)
2x bandit

List2
1x Bandit
Ywing stressbot (title,tlt,r3a2)
rebel operative (hwk) with TLT + Tactician

List3
kyle(hwk) with tlt, moldy crow and recon spec
Jake with VI,refit,auto,outmaneuver

wtzgU.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Guys,
Need help deciding on a list for a store tourney tomorrow

List1
miranda with TLT and c3po (or tactician)
2x bandit

List2
1x Bandit
Ywing stressbot (title,tlt,r3a2)
rebel operative (hwk) with TLT + Tactician

List3
kyle(hwk) with tlt, moldy crow and recon spec
Jake with VI,refit,auto,outmaneuver

wtzgU.gif

List 2. It can handle the most situations, I think.

Overclocked R4 from the Jumpmaster box has been spoiled.
ftsQqfb.png

As has the reference card for dual upgrades.
0GuZnqC.png

So "adaptability" is in fact free +1 PS (or -1 I guess, if you really want), doesn't change during game.

Edit like a million: Thermal Detonators have been spoiled, but I can't find an actual card pic. Dropped on maneuver reveal, detonates at the end of the activation phase. Deals 1 damage and 1 stress token to each ship at range 1.

am_dragon

Hello, I'm brand new to X-Wing, and just found this thread. My son and I were looking for a miniatures game to play. A friend was trying to talk me into playing Warhammer 40K, but that was just overwhelming. We spent some time watching and and demoing Warmachine, at our FLGS. A few days later I was talking to the guys at the game store about buying 2 factions and cost, and if my 12 year old son could handle the rules... They told me I should try X-wing. While it is still expensive, it's much more reasonable to get started and buy for more than one faction than most other Miniature games.

I bought a Force Awakens Core box a few weeks ago and picked up an extra X-Wing T-70 and my son bought a Tie Advanced for Vader (unfortunately we learned this was a bad choice). I bought a 2nd OG Core set shortly after. We really like the game. We've been playing with or small fleet and we've proxied some stuff, which works well with the great community tools out there like list builders.

We've been trying to decide what to get next. I got a bonus from work and we decided we'd like to really dig in so... I just put in a big order at coolstufinc. My son plays Imperials, so we got him the Aces pack, the interceptor, the TIE, TIE /fo, and a Decimator. I play rebels, so I grabbed the Rebel Aces, a K-Wing, the Falcon, and the Ghost. We've been watching Star Wars Rebels so I can't wait to get the Ghost.

So far my only complaint about the game is the way they package the upgrade cards. I mean it could be worse, there could be blind buys. I just think it's crazy there isn't another way to get those cards. I was looking at a "brobot" list with 2 IG-2000's and really wanted to buy that list. I priced out the cost to build the list I was looking at and it was just over $200 to buy the 2 IG-2000's and all the other ships needed for the upgrade cards.

That was the point I decided that we would just buy what looks fun and spend a few months learning the game. Maybe buy another ship or two a month. Then if we want to start playing competitively we'll take might have a couple usable lists by then.

Nete

That was the point I decided that we would just buy what looks fun and spend a few months learning the game. Maybe buy another ship or two a month. Then if we want to start playing competitively we'll take might have a couple usable lists by then.

This. If you are only playing with friends (or your son :p), just buy the ships you like and proxy any upgrade card you may want to use or try. Having the card itself is only required for competitive play, and in the long run you will have most of the cards anyway as you keep buying ships.

And enjoy the game. Is really, really great :)

pompidu

Ran 2 ywing with tlt, a naked bwing and a naked wedge antilles.

Jamming the bwing right into the opponents force was great. Great meat sheild and gave time for wedge and tlt's to pick off ships. Wedge is great except his cost... No to many k turns either for him.

I bought a Force Awakens Core box a few weeks ago and picked up an extra X-Wing T-70 and my son bought a Tie Advanced for Vader (unfortunately we learned this was a bad choice).

Vader is one of the best ace pilots in the game. Just make sure you proxy the TIE/X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer cards to go along with the TIE Advanced. Also proxy an Engine Upgrade if you don't have that card yet, and witness the true power of the dark side.

Mrcapcom

Vader is one of the best ace pilots in the game. Just make sure you proxy the TIE/X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer cards to go along with the TIE Advanced. Also proxy an Engine Upgrade if you don't have that card yet, and witness the true power of the dark side.

Or just buy the Raider. Honestly the ship is amazing to look at. I have never flown mines but I have it up on display. Got it at Amazon for $61

I run Vader all the time he's a beast

Or just buy the Raider. Honestly the ship is amazing to look at. I have never flown mines but I have it up on display. Got it at Amazon for $61

I run Vader all the time he's a beast

Yep yep, I have the Raider myself and it's awesome for sure, but I just assumed someone new to the game wouldn't be too keen on shelling out $60 for the Raider if they are still just learning the ropes.

am_dragon

Yep yep, I have the Raider myself and it's awesome for sure, but I just assumed someone new to the game wouldn't be too keen on shelling out $60 for the Raider if they are still just learning the ropes.

Thanks, It's one of the epic ships I'm interested in but after my little buying spree I think I'm going to have to wait for a birthday or something. I couldn't pass up Slave 1 as it was always one of my favorites, and I added a Most Wanted pack so I could fly Scum. So I'm a brand new player with just over $300 into the game. Not including the tool boxes I bought to hold the miniatures, the laser level from Harbor Freight, and a 3'x3' sheet of black felt, which turned out to be a surprisingly good play mat.

I was doing OK when we stopped into the FLGS on Sunday to see how many were playing X-Wing. I felt bad about my online purchase, and decided I needed to pay rent, so I got a Y-Wing and Most Wanted from him. Having spend hundreds on Pokemon in that store I shouldn't feel that bad though.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to proxy the cards. My son got really frustrated trying to print out pictures of the cards in the right size so I have just been printing our full lists from (yet another) X-Wing Miniatures Squad Builder and playing from those sheets.

I'm also trying to figure out Vassals so I can get in more play time with someone other than my son. The podcasts I'm listening to seem to think Vassal is really important to improving in the game.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to proxy the cards. My son got really frustrated trying to print out pictures of the cards in the right size so I have just been printing our full lists from (yet another) X-Wing Miniatures Squad Builder and playing from those sheets.

I'm also trying to figure out Vassals so I can get in more play time with someone other than my son. The podcasts I'm listening to seem to think Vassal is really important to improving in the game.

You are putting much more detail to proxying cards than I ever did haha. I'd just sharpie the title and text of the card on an index card I cut in half.

If you ever want to give Vassal a try let me know, I'm always looking for more people to test builds out with.

Nete

Not Vassal itself, but playing more games. And Vassal is the easiest way not only to play whenever you want to, but also to find more different people to play with (and thus, getting the chance to play against a higher variety of builds).

Also, it allows you to spectate games from players (or lists in action) you wouldn't ever see otherwise. There's always some worthwihle game running.

Actually, I'm usually lurkering around in some game even if I'm doing other things. I wouldn't mind to play if you ever see me (Kharn in Vassal) spectating some game and I'm really free in Real Life™. This includes MisterAnderson and anyone else :p

am_dragon

Actually, I'm usually lurkering around in some game even if I'm doing other things. I wouldn't mind to play if you ever see me (Kharn in Vassal) spectating some game and I'm really free in Real Life™.

Thanks for the offer, I'm still trying to learn the rules, let alone how to use Vassal, that would tak some supreme patients at this point. Maybe in a couple weeks.

My son and I are going to see if we can get a demo game at the flgs this weekend to make sure we are playing correctly.

Repgnar

So after playing a few games on Tabletop Simulator i've jumped into the physical game with 3 TFA Core Sets from a Target sale yesterday. I've had a friend from back home introduce me to the rules on Tabletop but looking forward to actually getting to play on a table this weekend. Not sure what faction I want to go but I figure I can use the Ties and Xwings for awhile until I see where I want to go and it's a good amount to play with my wife while we learn. We'll be playing some games between us two to get more familiar with it before heading to the FLGS.

Tensketch

So, wave 8 is here. What do we think?

Ive not had a chance to fly any of them, but I'm a bit sad that once again the big thing coming out of this wave is a large scum ship spam. TripleJump looks and sounds cool, but I cannot be bothered playing against loads of them at regionals in 3 months.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Only had a chance to fly the Ghost and while my pilot skills were pretty good I lost badly to two G1-As and a Jumpmaster. But that was really my fault as I was still getting a handle on how to best support the ship. Love the crew cards on the Ghost; that'll make some killer B-Wing builds for sure. Looking forward to trying the Empire side of things for W8 next week.

So, wave 8 is here. What do we think?

Ive not had a chance to fly any of them, but I'm a bit sad that once again the big thing coming out of this wave is a large scum ship spam. TripleJump looks and sounds cool, but I cannot be bothered playing against loads of them at regionals in 3 months.
Given the Tractor Beam spam you're going to see once Imperil Vets releases, I suspect you're going to see a lot more large ship spam to counter TB/Ion-Defender spam.

I had a store competition where I took Zuckuss in with the Misthunter. I wasn't massively familiar with heavy fighters so I didn't fly him amazing although whenever he got shots on he is very devastating. I really want to try 4-LOM with ad.sensors, stay on target and outlaw tech aka, 'the asshole build'.

pompidu

I'm so very glad I didn't invest much money in this game, shit is getting stupid now. 90% of these ships are useless. Dice are slowly becoming irrelevant.

Sorry had to rant, shit is getting so dumb.

There definitely needs to be a defense boosting focus in the next wave. With a million and one ways to boost offense or reroll red dice, the ways to modify defense are fairly sparse and generally limited in application (read: can only go on a handful of ships). I realize that offense should always be > than defense (since the objective is to kill your opponent), but I do feel like the scales are weighted a little to heavily on one side right now. As it is, missing feels like a rare event these days (well, not when I'm attacking, but still).

Also if you have a group of interested players, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster fan campaign. It's basically co-op vs. AI rebels vs. Imperials and it's some of the most fun I've had with X-Wing lately. I've played through the campaign once with a friend already, but we've started a second campaign on TTS and a third campaign with our usual gaming friends.

Nete

It also depends on what are you playing. If you only play at tournaments and so, then yeah, the game can get a bit annoying and usually you will see the same lists over and over again. But for non-competitive games the game is as great as always.

And even in tournaments, going full "fuck the meta" with your lists is always hilarious.

Also if you have a group of interested players, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster fan campaign. It's basically co-op vs. AI rebels vs. Imperials and it's some of the most fun I've had with X-Wing lately. I've played through the campaign once with a friend already, but we've started a second campaign on TTS and a third campaign with our usual gaming friends.

And this. Aturi Cluster is amazeballs.

Top Bottom