• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Castor Krieg said:
It's not about FPS being bad, it's about making a new Syndicate game (for some people the IP matters, you know) as an FPS in order to cash on CoD popularity.

That's a ridiculous assumption. People who love COD aren't the audience of this game.

Castor Krieg said:
Maybe because it's the reason everyone is making FPS games?

no, it's because it's appropriate since they have nice hardware to push graphics finally

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Based on YouTube videos, the original Syndicate

not meant as a dig at anyone but of course if you are having to go to youtube to see what Syndicate was then obviously it's not going to have the same pull or meaning to you as the people who lived through it's original release.

bangai-o

Banned
DCharlie said:
not meant as a dig at anyone but of course if you are having to go to youtube to see what Syndicate was then obviously it's not going to have the same pull or meaning to you as the people who lived through it's original release.
youtube gameplay videos demonstrate game mechanics very well.

subversus said:
That's a ridiculous assumption. People who love COD aren't the audience of this game.

Audience as defined by fans or EA? Because Ea's defines audience as EVERYONE, which in videogame terms = CoD. Fans want deep strategy and team control, both of which FPS is not suited for.

Castor Krieg said:
Maybe because it's the reason everyone is making FPS games?

newsflash, fps games have been made since the 90s. Also there is this franchise called Halo that made fps popular on consoles ahead of CoD.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
newsflash, fps games have been made since the 90s. Also there is this franchise called Halo that made fps popular on consoles ahead of CoD.

I'm pretty sure the amount of FPS games being made increased by hundreds of % after Halo and CoD exploded in popularity.

Castor Krieg said:
I'm pretty sure the amount of FPS games being made increased by hundreds of % after Halo and CoD exploded in popularity.

western devs have always made fps game ever since id broke into the market with their games.

bangai-o

Banned
why is everyone bashing Cod anyway. It is a formula that comes as close to Quake/Unreal style twitch shooters as it can possibly get in this market. Uppity turn based gamers are being more than ignorant. I might as well call Syndicate a wannabe Final Fantasy. Can you summon Chocobos in Syndicate?

DaBuddaDa

Castor Krieg said:
This has nothing to do with what I wrote.
The number of FPSes made post-DOOM was exponentially more substantial than anything post CoD or Halo is what he's saying (and he's right).

bangai-o said:
why is everyone bashing Cod anyway. It is a formula that comes as close to Quake/Unreal style twitch shooters as it can possibly get in this market. Uppity turn based gamers are being more than ignorant. I might as well call Syndicate a wannabe Final Fantasy. Can you summon Chocobos in Syndicate?

But I don't want Syndicate game to be CoD/Unreal/Quake. I don't want it to be an FPS. Why is it so hard for you to understand?

DaBuddaDa said:
The number of FPSes made post-DOOM was exponentially more substantial than anything post CoD or Halo is what he's saying (and he's right).

I couldn't care less for number of FPS released. Nowaydays nobody wants to have killer app "like Doom". It's always "CoD audience", "CoD numbers", etc., etc. That tells you something about the main focus.

linsivvi

DCharlie said:

Pretty much this.

Syndicate was a one-of-a-kind, unique experience when it was released. Just like most of the games that Bullfrog released until EA scooped it up and threw it into the garbage bin.

8bit

Knows the Score
So where are the screens? The OP seems to have something quite different from Syndicate in it by accident.

Zeliard

FPS games in the 90s were seen as Doom clones because Doom had basically created a genre, similarly to Diablo, and outside of games like Marathon and System Shock it wasn't until Half-Life where we started seeing some real differentiation.

"Doom clone" was essentially a synonym at that time for "first-person shooter."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bangai-o said:

Call of Duty is distinctly different in play style to Doom, Quake and Unreal on a pretty significal fundamental level. They both have a lot of action, and that is basically where the similarities end.

DaBuddaDa

Castor Krieg said:
I couldn't care less for number of FPS released.
Well, that is literally what you were arguing and what I was referencing:

Castor Krieg said:

DaBuddaDa said:
Well, that is literally what you were arguing and what I was referencing:

What I meant was games today have to mirror the experience CoD provides - FPS, multiplayer, scripted sequence, etc. Syndicate was not like that, and by making it so the game shouldn't really be called Syndicate.

subversus

Deus Ex was done in first person to cash in on Unreal and Quake's popularity.

Mirrors Edge was done in first person to cash in on COD's popularity.

bangai-o

Banned
EatChildren said:
Call of Duty is distinctly different in play style to Doom, Quake and Unreal on a pretty significal fundamental level. They both have a lot of action, and that is basically where the similarities end.
i said it comes as close to the twitch style formula as it possibly can in this market, where actual Unreal games failed to gain an audience.

Interestingly in that, you bring up the main argument of this thread. Starbreeze has never produced anything close to a Cod game. Yet all the ignorance in this thread dictates that their next game will be just that.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Idc if it's a FPS, it's Starbreeze so it's automatically an amazing game.

DaBuddaDa

I've played quite a few FPSes over the past decades, and honestly many of them are quite different from Call of Duty, to the point where Call of Duty itself is actually a less common style of shooter. Games like Singularity, Killzones, Resistance, the FEARs, all have more in common with Half-Life 2 than they do Call of Duty. Those who claim "every FPS is just like Call of Duty" lack the experience and exposure to the nuances of these games to know any better.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The fact that R&D and management don't show up anywhere in that Origin preview should be enough reason to worry like motherfuckers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bangai-o said:
i said it comes as close to the twitch style formula as it possibly can in this market, where actual Unreal games failed to gain an audience.

Interestingly in that, you bring up the main argument of this thread. Starbreeze has never produced anything close to a Cod game. Yet all the ignorance in this thread dictates that their next game will be just that.

I agree. Its foolish to rush to Call of Duty as the base example for a first person shooter. But this still doesn't, and shouldn't, negate concerns over the fact this is clearly a first person shooter, something Syndicate was not.

subversus

Funky Papa said:
The fact that R&D and management doesn't show up anywhere in that Origin preview should be enough reason to worry like motherfuckers.

I'm sure that all your R&D and management will concern only your char progression. You should stop worrying right now, because the game is already not what you want.

Saty

Well, everybody are saying that the reason classic non-fps games are being brought back as FPS is because that only this genre can sustain and justify the development. But there are probably only 2-3 current FPS franchises that are doing anywhere near COD numbers and plenty of other games who went the FPS route as sort of no-brainer have failed and lost money.

Hopefully, when X-Com underperforms then Starbreeze will rework things :\ .

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Saty said:
Well, everybody are saying that the reason classic non-fps games are being brought back as FPS is because that only this genre can sustain and justify the development. But there are probably only 2-3 current FPS franchises that are doing anywhere near COD numbers and plenty of other games who went the FPS route as sort of no-brainer have failed and lost money.

It's not gonna happen, even if X-Com craters. Publishers don't want anything to do with strategy games right now, especially not isometric ones. But I was at least hoping for squad based combat.

DaBuddaDa

SapientWolf said:
Publishers don't want anything to do with strategy games right now, especially not isometric ones. But I was at least hoping for squad based combat.
I'm sure from their point of view, they value their ownership of these old IPs and they believe the best way to exploit them is through a FPS. If they brought out a isometric strategy game it would have a higher chance of "ruining" the value of their IP and making them less money.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Acosta said:
Is shit because is called Syndicate and it's not Syndicate.

As I said, this game can be the best fucking game in the universe. For me, if it doesn't respect that name and its legacy, it´s trash.
That's pretty silly. You should still be able to enjoy the game regardless. It's just a name, after all.

Into what? A strategy game? I'd rather they just drop the license and keep making what they are making than resort to that. Would you really want Starbreeze to work on a strategy game?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
DaBuddaDa said:
I've played quite a few FPSes over the past decades, and honestly many of them are quite different from Call of Duty, to the point where Call of Duty itself is actually a less common style of shooter. Games like Singularity, Killzones, Resistance, the FEARs, all have more in common with Half-Life 2 than they do Call of Duty. Those who claim "every FPS is just like Call of Duty" lack the experience and exposure to the nuances of these games to know any better.
People who don't like FPS games in general do not care about nuances between games. It's like telling someone who doesn't like fighters that Guilty Gear is very different from SF IV. They'll say "So? It's still a fighter which I don't want to play."

Radogol

bangai-o said:
Uppity turn based gamers are being more than ignorant. I might as well call Syndicate a wannabe Final Fantasy. Can you summon Chocobos in Syndicate?

Apparently, YT videos don't show game mechanics as well as you seem to imply they do, since Syndicate is 100% real time. No idea where you got the turn-based idea from.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think the closest thing we've ever gotten to a modern Syndicate was Team Buddies. Of course, it flopped hard core. But it was awesome.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:

Hopefully when id decides to make another Quake, it won't feature the modern COD gifts to gaming like XP points and perks and shit that really, really do not belong in shooters like Quake, UT, etc.

I've been a bit pessimistic towards CS: GO as a proper successor in the series but Chet Faliszek recently in an interview with Giant Bomb said some excellent stuff regarding this, which also had the added effect of making me appreciate CS: GO a bit more.

To quote him:

"You know Counterstrike when we went to do this iteration of it, it's this competitive game where if you die, either you screwed up or the other guy is better than you. [Ed note: well fuck me sideways!] And it's important to keep that characteristic. It's not about how much time you put in, and that you've got these new toys that aren't accessible to the other person. It's about who's better."

Saty

dark10x said:
Into what? A strategy game? I'd rather they just drop the license and keep making what they are making than resort to that. Would you really want Starbreeze to work on a strategy game?
Only if they are capable.

Rolf NB

The "stealth" mechanics in Riddick (2009 edition), the enemies' ability to turn around 180° and start shooting you in the face within in a single frame, and to randomly score critical hits against your health system are total, total bullshit. I hope none of that is ever repeated, not by new Starbreeze nor by anyone else.

Acosta

dark10x said:
That's pretty silly. You should still be able to enjoy the game regardless. It's just a name, after all.

It´s not for me. I thought that was clear. But if you feel the need to judge me and my feelings, go ahead.

SapientWolf said:
I think the closest thing we've ever gotten to a modern Syndicate was Team Buddies. Of course, it flopped hard core. But it was awesome.

There was Darwinia which did pretty well. In terms of tracking games that evolved from ideas in Syndicate over a longer time period there is the GTA series.

pakkit

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Well... I think the reasonably positive critical reception of the second game has a lot to do with goodwill based on the first.
Did you play The Darkness? The gunplay wasn't the best, but the atmosphere, story-telling, and voice talent were some of the best I've experienced in video gaming. One of the few games that I think wove an excellent yarn from front to back.

subversus

More Fun To Compute said:
There was Darwinia which did pretty well. In terms of tracking games that evolved from ideas in Syndicate over a longer time period there is the GTA series.

one of the lead designers of some swedish studio (forgot the name) who worked on original Syndicate said that the new one is a GTA wannabe. That makes me very optimistic about the game.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
subversus said:
one of the lead designers of some swedish studio (forgot the name) who worked on original Syndicate said that the new one is a GTA wannabe. That makes me very optimistic about the game.
Ok. I may have to stop bitching for a little while, just out of curiosity.

EatChildren said:
I agree. Its foolish to rush to Call of Duty as the base example for a first person shooter. But this still doesn't, and shouldn't, negate concerns over the fact this is clearly a first person shooter, something Syndicate was not.

Metroid was once not a first person game either. I remember the initial backlash

EatChildren

Nostalgia~4ever said:
Metroid was once not a first person game either. I remember the initial backlash

This is a fine example of someone 'doing it right'. But I'm cynical because such classy reimaginings are few and far between :p.

subversus said:

I suppose that GTA has it's fans but it's no Syndicate.

a176

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
It's not about FPS being bad, it's about making a new Syndicate game (for some people the IP matters, you know) as an FPS in order to cash on CoD popularity.

what the hell

Manager

subversus said:

Paradox: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429120

Well, this is how Wester's mind works: He loved the ruthless isometric tactical classic Syndicate back in the day. He also works in Sweden and is therefore privy to the fact that a neighboring studio is making a new Syndicate for EA and that the game is "more of a like a GTA wannabe than it's like the original game." Therefore, he wants Paradox to make its own riff on Syndicate

Top Bottom