• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

The game looks great, but I think it looks too much like a blatant rip-off of Harvest Moon. The synopsis sounds way too close for comfort. Still, always wanted a Harvest Moon with graphics like this.

The game looks great, but I think it looks too much like a blatant rip-off of Harvest Moon. The synopsis sounds way too close for comfort. Still, always wanted a Harvest Moon with graphics like this.

I don't see that as a bad thing. Harvest Moon has become an extremely slow and dull experience nowadays. If this game goes back to be more like SNES HM + with mods and other new things that are actually fun, then it can only be an amazing thing.

Art style of harvest moon, at least recent entries, kept me the fuck away. So this one is more up my alley and I'll scratch that itch of playing these type of titles

Im mostly interested in doing things around town and having animals

Are there cool seasonal events? Quests and friendships/relations to manage (not just marriage)?

Is farming difficult? Will I need to take into account money, weather, tools, and perhaps even random things like dealing with poor crop results, or even something simpler like dealing with birds by having scarecrows/a dog?

Do animals get sick, need taming, etc?

I love the idea of struggling with the farming stuff and having it hard. While I like the idea of slowly making lots of money, Im hoping there is enough in the game to add challenging spikes to the gameplay.

Also, you can customize your house and extend it right?

I'm in the mall shopping for clothes with gf I do hope she doesn't take too much time to prove the pieces.

Are there cool seasonal events? Quests and friendships/relations to manage (not just marriage)?

Is farming difficult? Will I need to take into account money, weather, tools, and perhaps even random things like dealing with poor crop results, or even something simpler like dealing with birds by having scarecrows/a dog?

I love the idea of struggling with the farming stuff and having it hard. While I like the idea of slowly making lots of money, Im hoping there is enough in the game to add challenging spikes to the gameplay.

Seasonal events are a thing and you can customize your house. I'm not sure about the other points though.

I'm in the mall shopping for clothes with gf I do hope she doesn't take too much time to prove the pieces.

Good luck...

I'll try to answer those questions better after playing for a bit, but anyway, there are events and quests. Weather, seasons, crows, all affect crops, you can make farming easier (you really kinda need to after having a decent size farm as your guy won't have energy to water everything for example) by upgrading your tools and crafting sprinklers for example to help you out.

Not sure about the animals part, but since sickness is a part of Harvest Moon when it comes to animals I expect it to be here.

You can customize quite a few things from the looks of it, move the furniture of the house, craft fences, paths, etc for your farm as well.

Dineren

Banned
I had no idea this had combat. I was looking forward to a Harvest Moon-like game on PC, but a game like Rune Factory is even better. I can't wait to get off work tonight.

Alastor3

Im interested to see where I can buy the game outside of Steam? Not that I don't like Steam but I wonder if I can buy it on the officiel website of Stardew to give the guy even more money

Blatant rip-off?? LOL

The guy worked 4 years of his life to create this IN MEMORY of his time with Harvest Moon, it's a homage to the legacy, not a rip-off

I had no idea this had combat. I was looking forward to a Harvest Moon-like game on PC, but a game like Rune Factory is even better. I can't wait to get off work tonight.

It's not a Rune Factory as you don't have level and such, it's mostly to get new materials and stuff, there is no levels/stats related

Doomedfool

This is the kind of game I didn't even know I wanted until i saw this. I might not be able to buy it today, but it's definitely getting put at the top of my wishlist

Man I want to know every detail so that I can get some idea as to how much depth there is, but I also want to go in as fresh as possible.

Can anyone compare this to FoMT for me? I know of romance, town events, animals, crops, fighting, but Im curious as to the depth of these features and the complexity of the sim.

I started to dislike Cities Skylines because that game was all about building with very little management of the sim/challenge. I loved HM for managing funds, exhaustion, random events, etc

Man I want to know every detail so that I can get some idea as to how much depth there is, but I also want to go in as fresh as possible.

Can anyone compare this to FoMT for me? I know of romance, town events, animals, crops, fighting, but Im curious as to the depth of these features and the complexity of the sim.

I started to dislike Cities Skylines because that game was all about building with very little management of the sim/challenge. I loved HM for managing funds, exhaustion, random events, etc
Either you spend 15$ and try to enjoy it or you gotta wait a while for people to get their hands on the game if you don't want to see some videos. Not much is known apart from what was already discussed. Can't really say anything about the difficulty, how many events, etc. Give it time if you're on the fence.

Btw, official wiki is up, even if it is pretty bare bones now.

Either you spend 15$ and try to enjoy it or you gotta wait a while for people to get their hands on the game if you don't want to see some videos. Not much is known apart from what was already discussed. Can't really say anything about the difficulty, how many events, etc. Give it time if you're on the fence.

Btw, official wiki is up, even if it is pretty bare bones now.

Just noticed the wiki!
Thats what I wanted

Seems like a lot of categories

atbigelow

Okay here's the big question: can I freely design my farm and house? What always drove me CRAZY in the SNES Harvest Moon and others was that I couldn't change my structures.

Shepard

Played for a few minutes and I'm already in love. Feels just like harvest moon. Crafting and decorating your house is also pretty easy. I can see myself getting lost in this game just like FoMt. Only downside so far is that gamepad controls are not that good. You still have to move the cursor with the left stick to navigate the menus. Overall, seems great. Also, music sets the mood perfectly.

Played for a few minutes and I'm already in love. Feels just like harvest moon. Crafting and decorating your house is also pretty easy. I can see myself getting lost in this game just like FoMt. Only downside so far is that gamepad controls are not that good. You still have to move the cursor with the left stick to navigate the menus. Overall, seems great. Also, music sets the mood perfectly.
Shame about the game pad, but I'll forgive it based on it being one guy. Hopefully he patches it later then

Stitch

Gold Member
mhh yeah the game works for me but steam overlay doesn't.

edit: the overlay doesn't seem to like msi afterburner with this game.

edit2: and now it works fine with msi afterburner... what a weird little game :D

Gurnlei

mhh yeah the game works for me but steam overlay doesn't.

edit: the overlay doesn't seem to like msi afterburner with this game.

It didn't work for me at first but restarting seemed to fix it.

Played my first two days so far, think I'll wait to enjoy it after work. Great first impressions though.

What does partial controller support mean in the case of this game? I comfy couch so there's no way I'm playing this with a mouse. Is it just an initial splash page that requires the mouse?

Edit: answered above. I'll wait until it's fixed.

InertiaXr

Anybody else having a huge problem catching any fish past the initial tutorial one? I feel like the 'bar' jumps around too much when it hits the bottom and I lose basically every fish.

Loving the game so far! Still can't believe it was all done by one person. Fucking amazing.

The sound effects are pretty great!

Has anyone found any sort of storage? My bag is currently full and I'm not sure what to do.

Edit..

Just got the extra bag space.

InertiaXr

Loving the game so far! Still can't believe it was all done by one person. Fucking amazing.

The sound effects are pretty great!

Has anyone found any sort of storage? My bag is currently full and I'm not sure what to do.

Edit..

Just got the extra bag space.

You can craft a chest.

What does partial controller support mean in the case of this game? I comfy couch so there's no way I'm playing this with a mouse. Is it just an initial splash page that requires the mouse?

Edit: answered above. I'll wait until it's fixed.
Partial controller support in this case means that outside of typing stuff you can use the controller. The impression above was about that the menus are awkward as it simulates the mouse apparently? At least that's what I understood I'll confirm later

LordAmused

Does anybody know if it is possible to slow down time? I know CocernedApe has set it to 7 seconds = 10 minutes in game, but I would like to set it at 10sec/10 mins.

Top Bottom