• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay XBLA second fastest selling game in XBLA history.

Ok so the leader boards are now at 300+k so the game has made a nice $6mil

Fantastic news, glad to see it's not losing steam just yet.

I guess word of mouth is now a factor in bringing awareness to this game? It's no longer advertised on the start dash, it's been replaced by the free,walking dead episode.

GODDAMMIT! So you're telling me I didn't actually play Shadow Complex, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Bastion, Minecraft, and Fez on my Xbox? That they're not even games to start with? Hell, and that's just XBLA! There are numerous retail titles that I've purchased for 360 that weren't even games to begin with. Time to start demanding refunds.

He was talking about nowadays.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I was going to buy this sight-unseen, solely based on the positive impressions in here. At the last minute I decided to watch the videos in the OT and lost all interest. There seems to be very little tension.

seat

He was talking about nowadays.

You mean when he changed the context to his initial post to "the last two and a half years"? Please, remind me when Minecraft, Dust and Limbo came out again.

I love this moving-the-goalposts shit. Get out of here, troll.

You mean when he changed the context to his initial post to "the last two and a half years"? Please, remind me when Minecraft, Dust and Limbo came out again.

I love this moving-the-goalposts shit. Get out of here, troll.

Look, I was only talking about what you quote and answered to, I'm taking no sides so please don't be insulting.

I was going to buy this sight-unseen, solely based on the positive impressions in here. At the last minute I decided to watch the videos in the OT and lost all interest. There seems to be very little tension.

The tension is not so obvious in the demo. The game has permadeath, so you better have made friends with survivors, because if your protagonist dies, you can then switch out to them. You can't overwork one dude, or he gets tired, and if you don't have coffee, you have to set him back at the house to rest.

This is one of the most tense games I've played thanks to the "always on" (State of Decay 2, Xbox One exclusive! :p) world. So if you turn off the game when you still have zombie infestations or hordes, then bad stuff is going to happen to the world when you boot the game back up.

Your weapon turns to yellow, meaning it's damaged, but hey whatever still takes the same amount of hits to down a zombie. Whacking away, and WHAT IT BROKE?! Oh fuck, why did I put only 1 melee weapon in my inventory?! Now I can only kick people and waste the little ammo I have for my gun! I'M OUTTA HERE!

Zombie hordes in the streets are not to be fucked with on foot. If you're not near a car, then you're going to be running like hell, losing all stamina, desperately flicking through items that might increase it back to get just about near the car, furiously smashing the Y button.

Many more tense moments that are brought out because of the random world.

Vamphuntr

Pretty nice it's still selling well. I beat the game earlier tonight. It's very fun but also heavily flawed. Hoping the team behind this will be able to ship a much better and polished game with a better budget.

Knew nothing about this and it surprised me. Open world, a mix of action and simulation, and lots of weapons and items. There's general clipping and some physics mishaps but the overall is really good and a decent step toward a potential massive online sequel.

Karak

I threw another tutorial video up in the main thread. IF you guys are on the fence check out the videos, demo or something. Its amazing.

Rad-

Wow. I thought this would sell 300k in its total lifetime but it's already past that. I guess XBLA isn't as dead as some said, it just lacked interesting releases.

Cheech

Isn't Mark of the Ninja fairly new? That is one of my favorite XBLA/PSN games of the entire generation.

Regardless, I imagine that most of the smaller studios who did killer work on the downloadables early in the gen are busy on next gen titles, just like the bigger guys. When a game like State of Decay comes along now, it's a pleasant surprise given how dry things have been compared to years past.

Isn't Mark of the Ninja fairly new? That is one of my favorite XBLA/PSN games of the entire generation.

Regardless, I imagine that most of the smaller studios who did killer work on the downloadables early in the gen are busy on next gen titles, just like the bigger guys. When a game like State of Decay comes along now, it's a pleasant surprise given how dry things have been compared to years past.

It is a new IP, pretty sure MS own it but I might be wrong on that. Anyway, MotN was done Klei, of Shank and N+ fame. Shank is a very underrated IP, pretty great and satisfying combat.

Anyway, this is now 762 sales away from 350k. Amazing achievement.

It is a new IP, pretty sure MS own it but I might be wrong on that. Anyway, MotN was done Klei, of Shank and N+ fame. Shank is a very underrated IP, pretty great and satisfying combat.

Anyway, this is now 762 sales away from 350k. Amazing achievement.

Klei didn't have anything to do with N+. It was a Metanet/Slick joint.

But yeah, Congrats to SoD. I'll buy it when it comes to the PC.

Debating between getting State of Decay or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I'd get both but I only have 2 Gigs left on the HDD.

SoD. Without question. Don't get me wrong, Guslinger is great, but this is just so much better and meatier and generally more awesome.

It's rivalling Skyrim for me in terms of gameplay length, I'm close to 55hrs so far and I'm still discovering new stuff about the game. It's incredible.

Klei didn't have anything to do with N+. It was a Metanet/Slick joint.

But yeah, Congrats to SoD. I'll buy it when it comes to the PC.

My mistake. I don't know why I always make it.

Ad is back on the start dash and it just so happens the game has passed 350k (352k).

Pretty amazing and it's making a case for MS properly advertising and marketing games on their dash.

derFeef

Think of the sales if they could have released in all regions, and did not say a word abou the PC version. Daaamn.

Jhoan

I have to admit, I played the demo yesterday, instantly fell in love with it, caved and bought it. It has a lot of technical issues such as clipping and texture pop up and the game is begging for a multi player co-op experience, but it's a very well made game I must say. It's extremely addicting to boot. With this money they should be able to easily patch in the multiplayer mode (I'm aware the amount of testing and coding that has to be done).

Think of the sales if they could have released in all regions, and did not say a word abou the PC version. Daaamn.

It's going at a fair clip. It's currently just shy of 365k. Pretty amazing how strong it's holding.

No doubt the ad on the start dash has had something to do with the extra 10k in sales since 3pm.

Top Bottom