• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay XBLA second fastest selling game in XBLA history.

Thanks .., one more quick question please.

Do the zombies die by being hit with anything ala Dead Rising, or do they need to be brought down and head stomped or something ?

Sometimes a single carefully placed blow with a bat can bring them down, More often than not tho, it takes multiple hits with them needing to be brought down and finished by either stomping on their head or caving in their head in with a melee weapon.

Overall, the zeds are a lot tougher and a helluva lot more dangerous than those in DR.

It's still not been classifiied in Australia based on the latest posts on the official forum. If you don't want to wait, it might be an idea to either migrate your account to a region that has the game. (UK, US, etc) or set up a secondary US, UK, etc account, download the trial, log into your primary account and buy it via the in game option.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?13582-Countries-So-Far/page16

Thanks for the tip. I've got a U S account on my PS3 which works great. Are there any issues I should be aware of before I open a secondary US account?

GavinGT

Banned
It felt overly janky, and not in a charming way. I very quickly grew tired of watching dotted circles fill up. Also, everything about the interface and systems confused me.

They should sign these guys up to use the walking dead license. Game just nails the feeling of open world zombie apocalypse. I'm in awe of how they've managed to pull it off (even though the game's performance leaves alot to be desired).

There's no doubt they'll end up releasing this on disc though considering its strong sales so far.

Jb

That's just awesome. I should really look into the genesis of this game, because it feells like a Kickstarter where the devs just said "OK we want to include every feature possible into an open world zombie game". And for the most part, they succeeded. Good on them.

Thanks for the tip. I've got a U S account on my PS3 which works great. Are there any issues I should be aware of before I open a secondary US account?

None that I can think of. Make sure to use a legit US address I suppose, but that's pretty much it.

It felt overly janky, and not in a charming way. I very quickly grew tired of watching dotted circles fill up. Also, everything about the interface and systems confused me.

It's definitely janky and there's a pretty steep learning curve, but once it clicks, it really is quite amazing.

It's not for everyone tho and they definitely could have done better in terms of tutorials and laying out all the finer points of how to manage your base, survivors, etc, but at the same time, that's one of things I love about the game so much, you're throw into this wonderfully created world and it's up to you to discover how to do everything.

It's not perfect and it will undoubtedly put people off, but once it clicks. Oh man, you just can't put it down.

bidguy

Banned
It's still not been classifiied in Australia based on the latest posts on the official forum. If you don't want to wait, it might be an idea to either migrate your account to a region that has the game. (UK, US, etc) or set up a secondary US, UK, etc account, download the trial, log into your primary account and buy it via the in game option.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?13582-Countries-So-Far/page16

that doesnt work cause its not on the australian marketplace. tried it already in germany :)

derFeef

Well deserved, very good game and the closest to my zombie/survival/scavenging dream game. Will double dip on PC but it sounds like it's not coming that soon.

“We are still working on the PC version, and I don’t have a really good estimate for completion. Too much depends on third parties. It isn’t going to be soon by any meaningful use of the word ‘soon’.”

Fruitster

Great news and well deserved. The game is ugly and technically pretty ropey, yet it has more ambition and is more fun than most full price games I've played this gen. It really came out of nowhere too, heard nothing of the game until two days ago.

apesh1t

Banned
Man, I know it's a XBLA game but wow, those graphics are...harsh. Reminds me a lot of the first Saint's Row back on the 360.

MrDaravon

Wow really? I had written this game off completely a while back because it looked janky and no co-op (which totally kills it for me), but it's apparently blowing up, I'll need to give the demo a go.

Rad-

If it keeps doing well then there's the MMO-lite version coming later. I think that will be for XO.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I feel like I'm in bizarro land. The giantbomb quicklook made this game look like a pile of steaming crap, but everyone loves it?

Fjordson

I feel like I'm in bizarro land. The giantbomb quicklook made this game look like a pile of steaming crap, but everyone loves it?
I was surprised also when I first started seeing all of the positive impressions on GAF, but it's actually pretty great.

Try the demo if you're unsure. It's fairly generous with the amount of time it lets you play.

DaBuddaDa

Zombie games have become ubiquitous best sellers like Sports Games and Military Shooters. The mass market just can't get enough of them.

I'm not even kidding: if Dead Rising 3 is an Xbox One exclusive it could be one of the biggest system sellers out there this year.

1-D_FTW

Fantastic news. The game looked super awesome in all the previews!

If they haven't announced a PC port by June 20th, I'll just get it on the 360.

Singleplayer. Coop might be patched in at a later date.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun)

“We are still working on the PC version, and I don’t have a really good estimate for completion. Too much depends on third parties. It isn’t going to be soon by any meaningful use of the word ‘soon’.”

theDeeDubs

Well deserved success. I'm loving it. Like someone said in the OT, it's the Walking Dead game I've always wanted.

Also, I always see people say they're so tired of zombies but I don't really see that many zombie games out there. Have I just been missing them? The only ones coming to mind are Dead Rising, DayZ (which I thought wasn't good), and Dead Island. I'm not a big indie/PC fan though so maybe that's why I don't notice them.

Minsc

Gold Member
This looks to be the zombie game I've always wanted, but no one ever made. Glad they have so much success with it and so many cool stories are coming from it, it sounds like not only did it get made but its also thought of nearly everything I could hope for.

I don't normally like sandbox games, but I'll definitely make an exception when it comes to survival sandbox with team and base management.

Dead Man

Well deserved success. I'm loving it. Like someone said in the OT, it's the Walking Dead game I've always wanted.

Also, I always see people say they're so tired of zombies but I don't really see that many zombie games out there. Have I just been missing them? The only ones coming to mind are Dead Rising, DayZ (which I thought wasn't good), and Dead Island. I'm not a big indie/PC fan though so maybe that's why I don't notice them.

COD zombie mode probably has a lot of people a bit burned out.

Fjordson

Is this a low budget Dead Island? Or more stealthy?
Neither. It's not really about the combat to be honest. Much bigger focus on the survival aspect. Managing resources, relationships with other survivors, holding down your home base and scouting for new ones, finding essential supplies, etc.

Dabanton

...Another one? Really? How long before the zombie shooter goes the way of the World War 2 shooter?

Another what?

It's not a shooter. Firing a gun off in this game more often than not is a hindrance not a help.

It's more of an open world zombie apocalypse management simulator.

Dabanton

Really wish it was available in Australia. Just sitting here wanting to play it Microsoft...

Can't you make a US account and just DL it from there? To play on your main account?

Or doesn't that work in Australia?

I've done that plenty of times to get games not out in my region.

Marcel

Another what?

It's not a shooter. Firing a gun off in this game more often than not is a hindrance not a help.

It's more of an open world zombie apocalypse management simulator.

That sounds more interesting then. I guess my initial criticism speaks to more of my exasperation with the zombie genre and its representative tropes rather than State of Decay's actual gameplay. Apologies!

Seems I should buy it with all the positive reactions I am seeing. I did originally look forward with the game, but the more details emerged and after the livestream I thought it would be not very good. Glad to see I am wrong.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Great news. I've played the demo and I know I'll love the full game. I am however limiting my XBLA and PSN purchases from now on and if there is a PC version I'll buy it instead. So whenever the Windows version releases (hopefully soon), I'll be all over it.

...Another one? Really? How long before the zombie shooter goes the way of the World War 2 shooter?
It's not a 'zombie shooter'. It's a sandbox RPG-ish zombie survival game.

Man, people just mindlessly hate on all zombie games. They don't even care if there are good ones here and there anymore.

Top Bottom