• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay XBLA second fastest selling game in XBLA history.

Dabanton

That sounds more interesting then. I guess my initial criticism speaks to more of my exasperation with the zombie genre and its representative tropes rather than State of Decay's actual gameplay. Apologies!

Oh I quite understand that.

Zombies have sort of been run into the ground in games over this gen. But this game is a more refreshing use of them.

Marcel

It's not a 'zombie shooter'. It's a sandbox RPG-ish zombie survival game.

Man, people just mindlessly hate on all zombie games. They don't even care if there are good ones here and there anymore.

I tracked back what I said with regards to the 'zombie shooter' stuff. I got it wrong. I won't track back my feeling that zombie games are way oversaturated and probably somewhere in the top 5 on the genre fatigue hitlist.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Oh I quite understand that.

Zombies have sort of been run into the ground in games over this gen. But this game is a more refreshing use of them.

What part of it is refreshing?

It's hard for me to even get excited for a game like last of us because of their not zombies that are actually zombies.

At this point a modern military game is more fresh and exciting than a zombie game.

Mogwai

Downloading the demo right now. Seems like an interesting approach in comparison to the other zombie shooters.

It's hard for me to even get excited for a game like last of us because of their not zombies that are actually zombies.

At this point a modern military game is more fresh and exciting than a zombie game.

The survival aspect. The fact that you're never safe, no matter how tooled up you are, no matter how levelled up your character if, you have to choose your battles very carefully.

It's essentially a lot like Dark Souls, the enjoyment factor comes from how difficult it is to survive, but it goes deeper with resource management, scavenging, maintaining your base's security and the survivors you come across, etc.

It's much deeper than just being another game where you mindlessly massacre legions of zombies.

This game is basically the zombie game everyone thought of when they first saw Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead. It's basically the zombie apocalypse concept game. It's not a zombie shooter, or a narrow-pathed action-adventure with sci-fi zombies to kill. Until Dead State releases, this is probably the game nearly everyone interested in zombies wanted to play at some point.

mujun

Is this a low budget Dead Island? Or more stealthy?

This game is a simulation and everything else really takes a backseat to that.

The combat is serviceable and it certainly could do with a bunch more polish but it offers something that very few console games do in terms of gameplay (a bunch of the PC of course) and in a zombie setting to boot.

I, as have many other people, have been waiting for a zombie game with base building, scavenging, etc for a long long time.

FerranMG

I got two questions:

- I accidentally run over Maya. When I switched to her as a playable character, I see her max heslth is extremely low. Is there anything I can do to heal her?
- I keep getting told to build more beds, but I lack some materials. I think it's bricks, but I'm not sure because I only see an icon with no name. Still, I can't find them anywhere. Any idea on where to get them?

derFeef

I got two questions:

- I accidentally run over Maya. When I switched to her as a playable character, I see her max heslth is extremely low. Is there anything I can do to heal her?
- I keep getting told to build more beds, but I lack some materials. I think it's bricks, but I'm not sure because I only see an icon with no name. Still, I can't find them anywhere. Any idea on where to get them?

Switch to another character and let her heal at the base, assuming you have an infirmary.
The stacked bricks are just "Materials" yeah.

If you want them to get them marked on the map, go to your base menu, select the tower and let the NPC search for the required resources. After some minutes some spots get marked on the map.

edit: OT is here btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570273 :)

FerranMG

Switch to another character and let her heal at the base, assuming you have an infirmary.
The stacked bricks are just "Materials" yeah.

If you want them to get them marked on the map, go to your base menu, select the tower and let the NPC search for the required resources. After some minutes some spots get marked on the map.

edit: OT is here btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570273 :)

Oh, I have no infirmary yet, that must be it.

How do I select the tower to send people to do things?
I can't boot up the game now to check.
I have to say, the game doesn't make a very good job explaining some things. :/

I had seen the OT, but it doesn't have the answers to my questions! :)

mujun

im sure the game is good but yeh, Xbox gamers are in starvation mode. and its a shame really considering the impressive lead they had for the first 2 to 3 years this gen.

You've really gotta be more subtle with such a short post history ;)

I would have gone with, "1600 points? 1200 MS and you would have had one more sale."

Buzzman

Banned
im sure the game is good but yeh, Xbox gamers are in starvation mode. and its a shame really considering the impressive lead they had for the first 2 to 3 years this gen.

This does kind of worry me, with all the (justified) Anti-MS sentiment lately it means all the other fanboys are going to come out of the woodwork and think it's okay to start spouting nonsense.

Shit, now I feel really bad, I really want to play this game. Damn.

You've really gotta be more subtle with such a short post history ;)

I would have gone with, "1600 points? 1200 MS and you would have had one more sale."

subtle? im Australian, subtley doesn't exist. and im not actually trolling. I have no doubt the actual game is great, BUT MS dropped the ball and stopped bringing out lots of games for the last 2 and a half years.

Every week on PSN Store updates I'm like a crack addict and if there aint shit to buy I start trawling through the archives till the following week just to find something.

but, I tell the missus...the wallet made me do it.

subtle? im Australian, subtley doesn't exist. and im not actually trolling. I have no doubt the actual game is great, BUT MS dropped the ball and stopped bringing out lots of games for the last 2 and a half years.

Every week on PSN Store updates I'm like a crack addict and if there aint shit to buy I start trawling through the archives till the following week just to find something.

You actually are.

250k in two days is amazing. It's on course to do over 1m in its first month. MS just seem to be very smart when it comes to spotting talent.

Someone at MS knows what they're doing. He obviously wasn't in the meetings when they determined XB1 policies.

Hindle

Banned
250k in two days is amazing. It's on course to do over 1m in its first month. MS just seem to be very smart when it comes to spotting talent.

amayo15

Banned
I thought XBLA was bad and devs couldn't make their money back... if you listen to people in the last few days that's what they'd have you believe. These are great numbers and it's a really good (if buggy) ambitious game. Bring on Class 4 mmo!

mujun

I guess you won't be able to respond now. Sorry.

If there is one place that I think MS has outdone Sony it is with XBLA. If you were talking retail games then I'd wholeheartedly agree with you that PS3 is the superior choice. Not with the XBLA vs PSN argument, though.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
infinite retro posts are quite funny, people moan ms doesn't release exclusives and crap and when they do they say they are doing it because they are in *starvation mode* lol

LowerLevel

OK, I've said this before, and I will say it again. This game is very similar to Rebuild by Sarah Northman but you control all the aspects of combat, travel, resource management, trading and survival. Each character has personalty traits that can, and WILL, compliment or contradict each other. The world somewhat continues while you are "offline" so you could possibly come back to one of your best characters dead or missing or similar. It also can get annoying by possibly being far away from base camp, and get radioed that there's in-fighting and tensions are boiling over.

I only say all this because this really isn't like any other zombie game, with exception of Rebuild. There is actually a little more character development than Dead Island with certain skills, but at the same time each character isn't truly that important (so don't get attached).

daevv

I'm having fun playing the game. I just hope it gets patched to fix some of the issues. Also hope I don't have it finished before said patch. :)

adj_noun

Good for them. I've been enjoying it even though at times I'm not quite sure how to handle what my fellow survivors are throwing at me.

Zombies I get. The vagaries of the human heart? There's the mystery.

seat

It sold fast because Xbox has no games so its like throwing a cornflake into a crowd of Ethiopians.

GODDAMMIT! So you're telling me I didn't actually play Shadow Complex, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Bastion, Minecraft, and Fez on my Xbox? That they're not even games to start with? Hell, and that's just XBLA! There are numerous retail titles that I've purchased for 360 that weren't even games to begin with. Time to start demanding refunds.

Top Bottom