• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay XBLA second fastest selling game in XBLA history.

ilISEedOQyuCs.jpg

If you want a zombie apocalypse sim on consoles, this is it. Buy it without hesitation if that intrigues you. Tons of micromanagement. The game's going in real-time, so if you turn the game off when zombie hordes or infestations are still going, shit is going to hit the fan when you load it back up!

Surprisingly good ally AI that makes the lack of co-op ok. They'll take care of themselves, and sometimes you can just watch them go at it.
i8oYc2puh56vX.gif

Also, on top of the sim-y goodness, the combat and movement feels so fucking good. Jumping through windows, bashing through doors, just everything feels good. I'll never get tired of the finishers.

ibpiDZQbhuj1dq.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's this about class3 and class4 people keep mentioning?

Class 3 is what State of Decay is, Class 4 is the MMO they're going to make based on the same idea.

The quick look at GB made it look really janky. The concept is indeed hot though.

And... is the frame rate / tearing just as awful irl as it was on the quick look?

The game is pretty rough technically. Mostly in cars.

Silky

Banned
I always hate that phrase. "Fastest selling in history." It makes no sense without some frame of reference. Did the very first copy sell faster than the very first copy of any other game? You can't rate something as the fastest anything without a target or some sort of benchmark, such as "fastest to 100,000 copies" or "highest 24 hour average" or something.

It's ridiculous statement.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-10-minecraft-breaks-day-one-xbla-sales-record

I think they're comparing the sales to Minecraft XBLA's sales records?

Garland7G

The combat and overall game is really janky, but I keep wanting to buy it. Dunno what I'll do. Guessing since it's selling so well we won't see a sale anything soon...

The combat actually gets better the more you level up your characters, you can choose special moves for the types of weapons you specialize in. One of my characters can chop off zombies legs in one hit.

Also its good to hear that the game is doing well, I've been following it since 2009 and i'm glad to see all their hard work is paying off.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
This news is well deserved. State of Decay is what the miserable Walking Dead: Survival Instinct wanted to be. In spite of its pretty glaring technical issues, SoD is still an incredibly compelling experience so far...

Wow. I mean, well… wow.

Many of you have been reading the great reviews. IGN, Polygon, Eurogamer.de, and more. Major Nelson did a podcast from the Lab (SoD stuff begins at 18:30). I’m seeing tons of YouTube stuff, like this one from TheRadBrad. Sites that were covering us when we were just an idea had nice things to say, such as Bloody Disgusting. I’ve got literally dozens more reviews and YouTubes to sort and post. But we wanted to pause this frantic activity for a moment to share with you this interesting fact:

We have sold more than a quarter million copies since we released the game two days ago. State of Decay has smashed all kinds of records. The only game that ever sold more on XBLA this fast was Minecraft…an already hugely popular game.

There just aren’t the words to describe the feeling.

This was you. We did not have an ad budget. We didn’t have a physical copy to load onto shelves, no worldwide multimedia push, no studio reputation with millions of followers. All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community. And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity. This train got rolling because you got out and pushed.

We are not just riding on this train, however! We’re never going to stop pushing to make the best games we can. If you’re wondering what we’re working on to make this game even better, please check out Jeff’s Title Update post. We’re also not going to leave you behind, Germany. You’re joining the ride soon. (And we haven’t forgotten you, Australia/New Zealand. Cross your fingers.) We don’t know exactly what the future holds, but we hope you’ll be there with us.

I mean, the next record to break is the all time XBLA sales record. Six million, I think. Who’s with us?

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/06/news/breaking-records/

They absolutely deserve this, it's an incredible game and one that every zombie fan should check out. If not on 360, on PC when it appears at some point later this year.

Trust me, this game is what TWD: Survival Instincts wishes it was. Just incredible.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Fantastic news. The game looked super awesome in all the previews!

If they haven't announced a PC port by June 20th, I'll just get it on the 360.

Is it single player or multiplayer?
Singleplayer. Coop might be patched in at a later date.

Walshicus

Is it single player or multiplayer? I don't have time for it if it's not multiplayer, but I can't really see any information on their website.

Fantastic news. The game looked super awesome in all the previews!

If they haven't announced a PC port by June 20th, I'll just get it on the 360.

Singleplayer. Coop might be patched in at a later date.

I thought the pc port was all but confirmed just has not released yet.

RulkezX

This is why I love gaming.

2 weeks ago I had never heard of SoD , a browse of GAF lead me to the trailer and a hype thread.... 1600ms points later and the game has it's share of jank , but is quirky and charming and ultimately , fun as hell.

Well done the devs.

Is it single player or multiplayer? I don't have time for it if it's not multiplayer, but I can't really see any information on their website.

It's single-player. They've said they'll try to patch in co-op at some point, but as a few people in the official thread have pointed out, it might not work as well as we'd hope due to how the games survivor mechanic works.

They will be working on an MMO though, which is currently called Class4, so that will offer the multplayer experience you're after.

Saying that, you should at least download the trial. You might be very surprised by how much fun and how great it is even without co-op.

Dammit. I was just so excited to share this news.

Lock it up please mods.

Mengetsu

It's so worth it me and my friends are having a blast! We're all having a fun rivalry on who can beat the game without yourself dying once. I didn't die once yet and my other friends did so they started over
KuGsj.gif
Great game needs co-op spiltscreen would be tons better with a friends than a computer.

Fantastic news, not played it a whole lot but did buy it and was great from what I have played so far.

I am hoping this means it can become a franchise and we can get the Class 4 game as well.

Gowans

Ace game, I was out on XBLA till next gen but well worth digging that rule for this love it.

Really like the fact they let you work stuff out, it's supposed to be a struggle And it has loads going on.

It's a rare game that you get out what you put in and it leads to some great stories happening to your guys.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Never heard of this game till today. I might check it out.

GlamFM

Banned
Haven't played the game yet ( hallo Deutschland ), but I'm super happy for them.
Will get the game ASAP.

en0s

Neo Member
I'm more interested in this than Last of Us.
Janky ambitious games are the best games

Dont have a 360 though, how long is the wait for pc version?

Bedlam

And it's still not available in Germany. We're waiting eagerly for the release over here!

Also, I've heard the devs wanted to patch in coop mode if the game is successful. Is that true?

No (the theme does feel a bit overdone though). Anyway, doesn't this one differentiate itself with the survivors building battlements angle?

Yep. You have to manage your base, scavenge for resources, find survivors, create new outposts, etc.

It's the game The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts so desperately tried to be but completely and utterly failed to even come within a 1000 miles of this incredible game.

Honestly, this game has single-handedly reignited my love for gaming. I was starting to feel worn out, the same old experiences but just prettier and then this game along.

It's a breath of fresh air, the ambition behind this title deserves nothing but applause and admiration, the attention to detail is simply incredible, almost every building in the game can be entered, there's ton of little easter eggs and references littered around the game world, the survivors all have their own personalities and can become depressed, scared angry, go missing, if you don't take proper care of both them and the base.

most importantly however, you never feel safe, even just two zombies can see you lose almost all your health and be torn in half. The tension drips from every corner, no matter how safe you might think you are, no matter how tooled up you are, no matter how many painkillers and snacks you may be carrying, it only takes one wrong step and your character is zombie chow.

I could talk about this game all day. Easily one of the best games of the generation and an incredible way to see the end of this generation out.

Can I play this game if my 360 is not connected to the Internet? I'm asking cause of the clock thingie...

You can.

dyergram

I like that the characters reffer to them as zombies. I. Hate it in zombie fiction where they call them 'those.....things!?'

Anyone know the latest on when this is getting released in Australia?

It's still not been classifiied in Australia based on the latest posts on the official forum. If you don't want to wait, it might be an idea to either migrate your account to a region that has the game. (UK, US, etc) or set up a secondary US, UK, etc account, download the trial, log into your primary account and buy it via the in game option.

http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?13582-Countries-So-Far/page16

first I've ever heard of that game..good for them

Is it survival or combat heavy?

You can't entirely avoid combat, but it's a lot more about survival. Regarding the combat, each encounter has the possibility of being your last, the zeds are a real threat, you can't just smash your way through them.

It's a lot like Dark Souls.

Top Bottom