• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth recommendations?

Ive been itching to get in some stealth games recently. I never played Chaos theory and it's only $3 on steam so I jumped on that one. Any other good stealth games sort of similar to that? Or even things like thief bow and arrow type stealth.

Also, is splinter cell blacklist any good?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Have you played all the classic games? Metal Gear Solid 1 to 4?

Robb

Gold Member
Metal Gear Solid, Hitman and Dishonored comes to mind.

A Plauge Tale Innocence and Requiem are pretty fun as well. Albeit very linear and walk/talk heavy.

If you’d be in to something more lighthearted I’d also throw in Sly Cooper.

Last edited:

intbal

The entire Splinter Cell series is good for stealth (although they vary in quality).
Thief: Deadly Shadows is a dumbed down (but a bit more accessible) version of the first two games.
Dishonored is great, assuming you choose to play stealthy. Dishonored 2 is less great, but has an all-time great mission (A Crack in the Slab).
Deus Ex (1) is fun to play stealth, but you can choose your own style. I suppose the other games allow that, too. They're just vastly inferior to the OG.
Stolen (2005) is an absolutely terrible game, but it's notable for being a pure stealth game that's not part of a major franchise.
Airborne Ranger (1987) is one of the first stealth games ever made. It was one of my favorite games for C64. It got a rerelease on Windows in 2022 and it's on Steam.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ive been itching to get in some stealth games recently. I never played Chaos theory and it's only $3 on steam so I jumped on that one. Any other good stealth games sort of similar to that? Or even things like thief bow and arrow type stealth.

Honestly most stealth games are pretty bad (or at least do stealth badly) when it comes to more recent titles.

Splinter Cell titles are still among the best. Hitman does the whole social stealth thing amazingly well.

Tommi84

What was the name of those two games that you played as small goblin creature and gsme is very stealth based? Even awards you after each level for being stealthy?

Blacklist is good! Try to play full "ghost" (ie never detected) for the full stealth experience.

Cannot recommend Hitman games enough for social stealth, ie hiding in plain sight. Best in the business.

The newest Deus Ex games can be pretty great stealth experiences. But you have spec into stealth correctly.

xrnzaaas

Hitman is probably the best ongoing stealth series. The last trilogy is just superb, you can spend endless hours exploring maps and figuring out new cool ways of assassinating your targets. You just have to be okay with the fact that the games are about big levels treated as playgrounds. You're not going to get tons of different missions and the main storyline is definitely less important than the actual gameplay.

Soodanim

Mark Of The Ninja
I haven't finished it, but what I've played I've enjoyed. It's a 2D platformer where you're a classic stealth ninja in levels of high rise buildings with electric barriers and cameras and whatnot. Gameplay elements have things like dark areas for hiding, vent crawling, and ceiling climbing. You get points/grading in a traditional manner depending on your gameplay style.

Ignore the dude who said Unity lmao.

Dishonored series.
Deus ex HR and MD
Prey
Hitman series especially the world of assassination
Cyberpunk 2077
Splinter Cell games
Thief games, even the shitty last one has some nice atmosphere
A plague tale series
Desperados 3
Shadow Tactics
TLOU series especially the 2nd one
Alien Isolation
Far Cry games starting with 3 can be almost fully played stealth if ure good

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I picked this up a few weeks ago on the PS Store and I'm loving it so far.

oM1Fyzi.jpeg

CGNoire

Not as good as CT or DA (og xbox edition) but its still really good. The last great Ubisoft release.

Hudo

Thief 1 & 2, Splinter Cell 1, 2 & 3. Alien Isolation and maybe Dishonored 1. The new Hitman trilogy is pretty good, too.

Metal Gear Solid games aren't really good stealth games except for maybe MGS5 (which is not a good MGS game, ironically). But they do have that "Kojima Pizzaz".

ButchCat

Tenchu and the Arkham series. I know Deathloop gets a hard time here but like other Arkane games stealth is also the default style of gameplay here.

Yeah nu- Hitman remains the best stealth centric game to come out in a gen. Just in awe of the ways to you can complete your objective in that game.

SolidQ

All Thief, All Splinter Cell(Double agent have two versions gameplay and story is PS2/ Graphic for X360, but worse story and gameplay), MGS, OG Hitmans. Styx and more

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
MGSV is my favorite next gen stealth game. Running from base to base thinking of how I should take it out. I was running from tanks with grenades in my hand. You can switch between action and stealth. I’d also also recommend TLoU for its stealth. Factions was great on PS4.

Last edited:

Holammer

There's a fair bit of fighting in them, but the Arkham games should count as stealth games right?
There's some real satisfying stealth section in Asylum where you sneak around and take out goons one by one.

There's a fair bit of fighting in them, but the Arkham games should count as stealth games right?
There's some real satisfying stealth section in Asylum where you sneak around and take out goons one by one.
Nah, the Arkham games are mostly action. The predator sections accounts for less and less of total gameplay the further down the series we get. Even in Asylum the predator sections are maybe 40% of playtime? At max.

xrnzaaas

Nah, the Arkham games are mostly action. The predator sections accounts for less and less of total gameplay the further down the series we get. Even in Asylum the predator sections are maybe 40% of playtime? At max.
I will agree Arkham games aren't full stealth games, but there's enough stealth to attract fans of the genre. It's super satisfying to clear a section without being spotted and to play with your enemies using the grappling point takedowns or long range trap detonations.

Heading into AA territory, you'll find both Styx titles.

These are hidden gems, in my opinion. They've got that AA jank to them that may be a deal breaker for some, but I loved both titles through and through.
Styx games are fun and their levels can be quite complex, but they're quite janky (especially the first one), they reuse the same areas too often and almost all boss fights are crappy. I'd still play Styx 3 if it was ever made.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Another shout out to the Sniper Elite titles.

Also similarly the Sniper Ghost Warrior - Contracts 1 and 2 titles. They play like a mix of Hitman and Sniper Elite which many ways to approach missions, targets to kill (in unique ways too), and various gadgets to use.

EDIT: Should also note that Contracts 2 is on sale right now for $6 if you have PS+. On the US store at least.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Chaos Theory is great as the addition of the knife really help being spotted feel way less punitive than being spotted in the original two titles. Mark of the Ninja is a great one too.

Saying to ignore AC: Unity (on PC) while recommending someone Far Cry 4, 5 and 6 is quite the take, even for you.

Unlike Unity which is a piece of turd, Far Cry 3 to 5 are actually good games. Also kinda odd to recommend the worst AC when op could literally play the best ones, ac 2, 4, etc.

Top Bottom