• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Green Man Gaming is reputable right? Haven't had any experience with them

They are reputable, I haven't heard any problems, although truthfully most of the experiences I've heard about have been people buying Steam keys from them rather than actually buying games on the service hahaha.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Sword and Sworcery EP's soundtrack is incredible btw, check it out.

This gif + the second track is absolutely mesmerizing.
i1mekIJEkx2eg.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My Steam download speeds have sucked lately, so I downloaded the leaked retail ISO of Alan Wake, thinking Steam would acknowledge the data... but it was only good for 4GB.

3.5GB left of the Steam download... at 180KBps. :( The bitter irony is that if I'd used those few hours to just download through Steam, it'd probably be done by now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They are reputable, I haven't heard any problems, although truthfully most of the experiences I've heard about have been people buying Steam keys from them rather than actually buying games on the service hahaha.

I've bought a few things from them (of course, like you mention, exclusively Steam keys) and they're fine.

However, it is a fairly common problem that their anti-fraud detection system is a little sensitive. What's worse is that they way the site will fail for you gives you no clear indication, only showing you an "error 747" message and screwing up the layout of the site. It's really weird and can only be resolved by contacting support. So, if you're paying from outside of the UK or with a Paypal account, it may be worth doing a transaction as early in the day as possible, just in case there are problems and you need to go through support.

I'm really glad Sword and Sworcery is coming to Steam. I've heard really good things about it but I haven't been able to check it out since I don't have a smartphone....

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I sent 11 index cards to Valve through mail during the holiday sale as alternate entries (for the achievements I couldn't/didn't get, per the rules). Just today I got my "prizes" deposited in my inventory: DoD: Source, L4D 2 & Orange Box. Debating if it was worth the postage. =p Shame they only had Valve stuff left at the end.

Is there any recourse for game on Steam that are broken? I only have two games on steam atm and decided to go for a blast from the past...Star Wars Battlefront 2. Problem is the game simply does not work. The menus are there and you can set up games. However the moment I try to play a match the game disappears.

Is there any way I can complain to Valve to get my money back? I emailed the tech support people that manage the game and have been completely ignored. I am new to PC gaming and its pretty sad that my SECOND game on steam doesn't work at all......making me question the wisdom of getting involved in PC gaming at all.

filipe

Is there any recourse for game on Steam that are broken? I only have two games on steam atm and decided to go for a blast from the past...Star Wars Battlefront 2. Problem is the game simply does not work. The menus are there and you can set up games. However the moment I try to play a match the game disappears.

Is there any way I can complain to Valve to get my money back? I emailed the tech support people that manage the game and have been completely ignored. I am new to PC gaming and its pretty sad that my SECOND game on steam doesn't work at all......making me question the wisdom of getting involved in PC gaming at all.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-914670.html

Honestly... I just want to say that I hadn't realized how good and nice are the people of NeoGAF I just want to THANK YOU! for being the way you are. :)

So how good is Alan Wake?

camerooni

Neo Member
I sent 11 index cards to Valve through mail during the holiday sale as alternate entries (for the achievements I couldn't/didn't get, per the rules). Just today I got my "prizes" deposited in my inventory: DoD: Source, L4D 2 & Orange Box. Debating if it was worth the postage. =p Shame they only had Valve stuff left at the end.

You did a lot better than everyone who got nothing but coal other than the first prize on the first day (I got Half Life 2: Episode 1 - lol) ;)

I would reimburse your postage for that L4D2 and Orange Box. :p

Personally Alan Wake is one of my favorite games of this generation. The story, atmosphere and characters are all excellent. The only major problem is that the combat can get a bit repetitive since there are only a few enemy types.

it's just like Silent Hill? Or better?

Nothing like silent hill and fair worse. There are of course the strange recent games also bearing the silent hill name for seemingly no particular reason. It is about the same level as these games.

Well worth picking up for $20. It outstays it's welcome but it is a decent ride until it does.

I've never played the Silent Hill games so I can't do a great comparison, but Alan Wake is more of an action game then a survival horror. You're rarely low on ammo and can take on fairly large groups of enemies.

If you can look for those games (Silent Hill saga) man you won't regret it, play them! :D

It's the only game that makes me regret selling my xbox. Loved the game, now to wait for a sale. I think its as good as SH2, but it feels so different that comparing them doesn't seem right.

But you can buy it again for PC and it's $23 on GMG... and if you say that it's as good as SH2, man, that's enough to buy it (it's a shame that I don't have money) :(

Nothing like silent hill and fair worse. There are of course the strange recent games also bearing the silent hill name for seemingly no particular reason. It is about the same level as these games.

Well worth picking up for $20. It outstays it's welcome but it is a decent ride until it does.

Which recent games?

camerooni

Neo Member
Which recent games?

Homecoming - leans more action so most Silent Hill believers disregard it..
and
Shattered Memories - removes the action so most Silent Hill believers disregard it..

I hear Origins is generally accepted as okay - but it's on the PSP - so it's disregarded ;)

Homecoming - leans more action so most Silent Hill believers disregard it..
and
Shattered Memories - removes the action so most Silent Hill believers disregard it..

I hear Origins is generally accepted as okay - but it's on the PSP - so it's disregarded ;)

Well I really liked Homecoming, it isn't that great, but it's passable, never playerd Shattered Memories, about Origins, it also was released on PS2 :D

Mr_Zombie

It's not like Silent Hill at all.

It's a thriller with some paranormal stuff, great looking vistas, enjoyable shooting mechanics, some repetitive gameplay scenarios (it's a no issue if you play the game one chapter at a time, though) and intriguing story.

Quick question, if I buy Alan Wake regular edition on GMG do I still get the Collector's stuff that are offered for free on Steam now?

camerooni

Neo Member
Quick question, if I buy Alan Wake regular edition on GMG do I still get the Collector's stuff that are offered for free on Steam now?

Gut says no.. but it would be nice =)

My issue with Alan wake was that it was such an amazingly well generated town/region/world.. that I wanted to explore it far more than the game would let me.

I know they did it for pacing reasons, but it's a shame they never had a 'wander around the town during the day' section, or otherwise sandbox level that was outside of the 'timeline' of the rest of the game or something..

Card Boy

Banned

No. I got the regular edition because I would never would of listened to the Doco, Soundtrack or read the PDF. And i didn't get a Collectors Edition upgrade.

Could someone please explain me something?

I bought The Witcher Enhanced Edition - Directors Cut from Amazon (During the Winter Sale), and the game comes with an activation key, but the game doesn't prompted me for any key, so does the key is required for activation or not?

Mr_Zombie

No. I got the regular edition because I would never would of listened to the Doco, Soundtrack or read the PDF. And i didn't get a Collectors Edition upgrade.

Bummer :(
Oh well, so I will probably wait for a steam sale or something. I wouldn't be able to play this game now anyway; my laptop would probably melt :(

camerooni

Neo Member
Alan Wake has been removed from GMG for sale, all I see now is 'coming soon' store page - shame.. I was going to get it for a mate for his birthday - oh well I'll just gift through steam, it was only 7 bucks or so difference.

jediyoshi

It seems that Alan Wake is removed from GMG, hopefully temporary
No way it'd be in time to catch the tail end of the 33% voucher unfortunately. They also seem to have specifically removed the collector's bundle while keeping the regular version and adding an option to buy the ce extras separately.

It's DRM free.

thx for answering I found that the key is for registering the game on the witcher web site (which does not exists) :( so that key it's wortless now

Alan Wake has been removed from GMG for sale, all I see now is 'coming soon' store page - shame.. I was going to get it for a mate for his birthday - oh well I'll just gift through steam, it was only 7 bucks or so difference.

It's on sale in Gamersgate, $25 with IGN 15% off

vazel

Banned
I'm playing the MW3 trial. Does MW3 use an internal resolution? I have mine set up at 1080p but it doesn't look 1080p.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I'm playing the MW3 trial. Does MW3 use an internal resolution? I have mine set up at 1080p but it doesn't look 1080p.

Probably not. COD always looks washed out and shitty. Not hating on the game, but there never top quality graphics. It's more arcade style, and the graphics are clearly not using 1080p textures.

Rapstah

There's supposed to be a separate internal resolution setting, yes, based on previous posts in this thread. I have never seen that in a PC game ever otherwise.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think there is an option somewhere in the advanced video section that you have to change from "extra" to "native."

Tess3ract

Banned
There's supposed to be a separate internal resolution setting, yes, based on previous posts in this thread. I have never seen that in a PC game ever otherwise.
It's because it's a console port. The console version most likely uses an internal resolution in order to keep fps high and upscales.

This is completely unnecessary on pcs because we aren't still using hardware from 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom