• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ah cool, restarted steam a couple of times from offline to online mode and finally got my categories back

Defence Grid is seriously a very hard game. I have tried the first level of the You Monster DLC over and over, and can´t handle the last 5-6 waves. The enemies are just to many there, and I don´t know the best way to handle enemies with shields.

oipic

Defence Grid is seriously a very hard game. I have tried the first level of the You Monster DLC over and over, and can´t handle the last 5-6 waves. The enemies are just to many there, and I don´t know the best way to handle enemies with shields.

I've found fully upgraded guns to be the best bet against shields - a couple working in unison, preferably.

1-D_FTW

I was finally able to get Deus Ex: HR started yesterday by just unclicking "Cloud sync" in the game properties. But the game ran like absolute flaming dog shit. And going by benchmarks, I should have been able to run the game 1080P/60fps with the settings I was using. Wonder if this is related somehow. Was the first time I tried playing the game, so I don't know if it's related to Steam issues, or something else. Tried some other games and they ran perfect.

deleted

I've... never had that happen to me either. Do the people that have this happen access their steam account from multiple locations?

Happened to me just now after a steam update.

Hey, no problem, I like sorting 170 games one by one.

Edit: Oh man, thanks Gabe - restarting steam gave me my groups back ^^

Ledsen

I was finally able to get Deus Ex: HR started yesterday by just unclicking "Cloud sync" in the game properties. But the game ran like absolute flaming dog shit. And going by benchmarks, I should have been able to run the game 1080P/60fps with the settings I was using. Wonder if this is related somehow. Was the first time I tried playing the game, so I don't know if it's related to Steam issues, or something else. Tried some other games and they ran perfect.

Runs like shit on my system too (constant stuttering and horrible fps near fire). i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560Ti here. Would be really thankful if someone could help me sort it out.

MRORANGE

header_292x136.jpg

Have a steam copy of Far Cry 2 up for grabs,

How to enter: draw the first thing your would do in far cry 2 in paint.

and the winner is Brazil!

cgU4y.png

That's right.

I've sent you a pm.

wutwutwut

Have you played the story mode? The You Monster DLC seems to be a continuation of it in terms of difficulty.

L3 cannons work best against shields. I normally only use fully upgraded guns, cannons, meteors, and temporal. Also remember to try setting up towers as late as possible to accumulate interest.

Why do a lot of games hide their Vsync (or other) settings in .ini or .config files instead of letting me set the option in the OPTIONS MENU?

Hamilton ran at like 400 FPS while in window mode, had to search for the .config and set it to true manually.
Really annoying.

1-D_FTW

Runs like shit on my system too (constant stuttering and horrible fps near fire). i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560Ti here. Would be really thankful if someone could help me sort it out.

Yeah. There's a lot of fire in that opening scene. I did notice this seemed to play a role in it going into slideshow mode. I even tried turning some of the settings way down before seeing benchmarks where a GTX 460 had things (AA aside) cranked up and still getting 60fps @1080P.

Going to download the latest beta drivers and see if that makes any difference. Or maybe you've tried the 290.53 betas? I only tried playing with the last official release (285.62).

Just stop making categories. It´s not like you really need anything but the alphabetical list of installed games.

To be fair, if Valve can get damn near everything right with Steam, you would think they could find a way to 1. Get categories to stop resetting or at the very least 2. make it easier to set categories.

I've given up having decent categories, but it's nice having a few games highlighted in their own category so I can see what I want to play in the near future. It is incredibly frustrating having them reset so often.

1-D_FTW

Make sure you use DX11 and try turning off SSAO/Tesselation.

I've done all that. Even turned off shadows in a bit of desperation. It made zero difference. Then I saw the benchmarks where everything was on high for my card (minus AA) and getting flawless framerates. Although maybe it's just that opening bit with all the flashing lights and fire and things will get better. We'll see.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1676536&postcount=7

Found that bit about un-installing the realtek audio drivers. But that seems like a shot in the dark and a lot of effort. Guess I'll try playing that part on my HDTV and use audio from HDMI. That would be the equivalent and would isolate whether it's the realtek drivers or not.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hmm, I have a 460 GTX 1 gb (latest betas), i5 @ 4.0, and 4g of Ram, onboard realtek sound and I get a locked 60 fps on DXHR with DX11, in-game v-sync+triple-buffer, tesselation off, SSAO off, shadows soft, 90 fov (swag).

Definitely make sure you defrag your games hard drive regularly. I know I do it pretty much after every time I install a game.

hylje

I've done all that.

Longshot but... did you try to verify game files? Most issues (usually shitty fps) with steam games I've had were corruption etc. on download. (or dx/physx files not been installed properly but thats whole other story)

1-D_FTW

Longshot but... did you try to verify game files? Most issues (usually shitty fps) with steam games I've had were corruption etc. on download. (or dx/physx files not been installed properly but thats whole other story)

Yeah. I did that like 3 times last night because it kept hanging when I tried starting. Fixed it by finally disabling "Sync to Steam Cloud", but it's definitely not related to that. That's the only thing I can cross off at this point :lol.

MNC

oh my god why did I not know of the ship-esque multiplayer in assassins creed brotherhood/revelations!

Nelo Ice

Banned
oh my god why did I not know of the ship-esque multiplayer in assassins creed brotherhood/revelations!

Well Ubi basically stole the idea from The Ship. I need to start playing that since a kind gaffer gifted it to me but atm I'm on the last level of Psychonauts so I'll try to get it to after I beat Psychonauts.

Ubisoft stole it from the team that made the ship while they were publishing their next game "Bloody Good Time". They then shit out BGT without any advertising or support because they already had the multiplayer they were poaching from the team. The company (outerlight) then when out of business because Ubisoft stole from them and then shoved them under a bus. So...

Blizzard

Banned
The daily deal is the X-COM Complete Pack for $5.09 USD:

X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Enforcer
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: Terror From the Deep
X-COM: UFO Defense

I have never played the X-COM games and I guess never been that interested, but if I don't own them, about $5 seems nice for the collection. Are they still decent despite being old and/or having a (gasp) 65 metacritic rating on one of them?

Side note, Joe Molotov DID pick up Dreamkiller at some point but I did not yet hear from him whether it was really that terrible. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom