• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Is any Space Marine DLC worth buying?

I like the Chaos Unleashed DLC, it gives you another map for the Exterminatus horde mode, in which you fight as Chaos against orks and space marines. The bonus wave has Killa Kans as enemies.

It's a lot more challenging than the regular exterminatus maps.

It also gives you 3 more multiplayer maps.

Derrick01

Banned
So, Microsoft is going to publish all their games on Steam also from now on? Age of Empires wasn't available before I think?

Probably at least until windows 8 launches with all that xbox live bullshit. If that takes off then I'm sure they'll pull off of steam like EA.

Turfster

The daily deal is the X-COM Complete Pack for $5.09 USD:

X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Enforcer
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: Terror From the Deep
X-COM: UFO Defense

I have never played the X-COM games and I guess never been that interested, but if I don't own them, about $5 seems nice for the collection. Are they still decent despite being old and/or having a (gasp) 65 metacritic rating on one of them?

Yes, at least UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep, dunno about the rest. The first one alone is worth more than 5$.

1-D_FTW

Runs like shit on my system too (constant stuttering and horrible fps near fire). i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560Ti here. Would be really thankful if someone could help me sort it out.

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/deus-ex-human-revolution-tweak-guide

Went through the guide and examined screenshot comparisons with every different setting:

Running DX11.

Turned FXAA down to Low (since it's a blurring technique and didn't notice more jaggie reduction at higher FXAA settings.)

Turned Shadows and SSAO down to normal since it wasn't a big difference between High.

Turned DoF and Post Processing off purely based on aesthetic preferences.

AF obviously set to 16X

Tessellation turned on.

Also turned off v-sync and triple buffering. Have them turned on through D3D and am getting no tearing. So even though it's DX11, it's working with this game.

With all those settings, I seem to be locked in at 60fps @1080P now.

EDIT: Should probably try setting shadows and SSAO to high next time I play. Maybe these weren't the culprits and I can bump them back up without any issues in the framerate departement. Seem to have the overhead in my CPU/GPU cycles.

Sysgen

Forgetting Enforcer as an XCOM game I actually enjoyed the game as an arcade shooter. There are skill trees and enemies drop powerups like they do in EDF and you rescue civilians like the 2d Robotron. You can even get the game running in 1080P. The XCOM pack was on sale at Gamersgate this holiday for $1.24 but $5 is the standard Steam price for this pack.

inky

For a second there I thought AoE 3 Complete meant AoE 1, 2 and 3 complete versions. Just 3 you say? Meh.

And lol X-Com being the daily deal. Very smart timing.

The daily deal is the X-COM Complete Pack for $5.09 USD:

X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Enforcer
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: Terror From the Deep
X-COM: UFO Defense

I have never played the X-COM games and I guess never been that interested, but if I don't own them, about $5 seems nice for the collection. Are they still decent despite being old and/or having a (gasp) 65 metacritic rating on one of them?

Side note, Joe Molotov DID pick up Dreamkiller at some point but I did not yet hear from him whether it was really that terrible. :p
i only have the original (UFO Defense) on disc so i am going to pick it up along with Terror from the Deep today. the rest can be safely ignored. less junk games to scroll through and a buck-plus saved compared to the whole pack.

10 cents..
i never did install it after picking it up during that no brainer sale.

I hope Microsoft keeps this trend of releasing games with 50% / 75% discounts so I can get Alan Wake for cheap day one!

I've been checking out Fractal: Make Blooms Not War, from the new Indie Royale. It's really cool, the Puzzle mode is its highlight so far. In all honesty, I think this may be the best Indie Royale yet, or at least it gives the first one a run for its money.

But I hate when developers add a in-game achievement system but the game doesn't have Steam achievements. Why would anyone do that? The only game I can think of when I actually thought it was a good idea is VVVVVV (because, well, good luck unlocking every achievement). Didn't Cavanagh say that he'd add achievements, though?

Fortune Summoners demo (same people that brought us Chantelise / Recettear) available here: http://www.carpefulgur.com/fs/FS_Demo.exe

Comes out Jan 17th, or at least planned to.

Thanks for the heads up, looks very cool! It costs 25 USD/20€, btw.

Also, they've published Chantelise and Recettar LTD sales:

Recettear Life-To-Date Sales: 170,000 units
Chantelise LTD Sales: 50,000 units

MRORANGE

Fortune Summoners demo (same people that brought us Chantelise / Recettear) available here: http://www.carpefulgur.com/fs/FS_Demo.exe

Comes out Jan 17th, or at least planned to.

hmm... $25 dollars for the game.

screenshot:

ddm6Z.jpg

Euphor!a

Banned
Is there a program I can use that can manage all my saved games on Steam that don't use the Steam Cloud function? A program that can do it all automatically without me having to go in for each individual game and do it as well as restore feature that puts all the saves where they should be if I ever need to restore them?

It says the X-COM UFO Defense supports Vista, so I'm assuming it supports 7 as well without legacy problems ?

You know what, don't answer that I already have a backlog bigger than what I like and I don't want to add to that and fall to the darkness that so many lose their souls into.

fallout

Is there a program I can use that can manage all my saved games on Steam that don't use the Steam Cloud function? A program that can do it all automatically without me having to go in for each individual game and do it as well as restore feature that puts all the saves where they should be if I ever need to restore them?
http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

If you have multiple machines, you can get similar Steam Cloud functionality by using it conjunction with Dropbox.

mrgone

It says the X-COM UFO Defense supports Vista, so I'm assuming it supports 7 as well without legacy problems ?

You know what, don't answer that I already have a backlog bigger than what I like and I don't want to add to that and fall to the darkness that so many lose their souls into.

It uses DOSbox so it's fine in any version of windows. And it's a really nice hole! You can build lots of posh crew quarters in that hole. It's only attacked by aliens sometimes. Once in a while. You'll barely even notice

Amneisac

Game Save Manager might be worth looking at. http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

Edit: Got sidetracked posting my reply and got beat by a mile.

gdt

My Soul is gone :(. I've finished ~30 games in my library, and I have 147.

;_;

That's totally beside my console games backlog, which includes stuff like Ico/SOTC, Ass Cred Rev, Zelda (playing now), Rayman Origins (playing now), stuff like that.

I love replaying games too :(. Oh Dead Space 1/2 :( :( :(.

Someone fill my dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Edit: Worst part is looking at games in my list that I bought, and I now know I will probably never play them. AYIM sucked dick for the few minutes I played, Bit Trip Beat is mehhhhhh, Crevures was pretty---but simple, and X3 Terran Conflict is daunting.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam is not about having a backlog, it's about having an extensive library so you can metaphorically choose a book from your library and sip from a fancy beverage while relaxing in a posh lounge chair and talking to your butler. Ah, the good life.

And by that I mean, you have the games when you are in the mood to play them, you buy them at a price that seems affordable and reasonable to you, and you don't have to worry about beating them. Collecting them is the game, like Pokemon!

Tomodachi

Steam is not about having a backlog, it's about having an extensive library so you can metaphorically choose a book from your library and sip from a fancy beverage while relaxing in a posh lounge chair and talking to your butler. Ah, the good life.

And by that I mean, you have the games when you want to play them, you buy them at a price that seems affordable and reasonable to you, and you don't have to worry about beating them. Collecting them is the game, like Pokemon!

Also, I like to think about my 50-something-self starting steam on his future-tech computer and looking at how badly those games have aged.

amdnv

Well, the first game seems to be a huge classic. To quote Wikipedia:
The first game is the most popular and the most successful. It was often voted as a best video game of all time, such as first on IGN's list of "Top 25 PC Games of All Time" twice in 2007 and 2009, second in "Best Video Games Since 1992" by Pelit in 2007, third and 11th in "Top 50 Games of All Time" by PC Gamer in 2001 and 2010, and third in "Best Games of All Time" by CGW in 2001.

The second game, Terror from the Deep, also seems to have been well received (unlike the games that followed).

So I will buy the first two games and check them out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Thanks for the heads up, looks very cool! It costs 25 USD/20€, btw.

Also, they've published Chantelise and Recettar LTD sales:

Recettear Life-To-Date Sales: 170,000 units
Chantelise LTD Sales: 50,000 units

And, at $25, their next game will sell even less than Chantelise. Fuck.

Need some advice here.

Someone is offering to trade Saints Row The Third for my Civ 5 GOTY. I ultimately want both games, but I don't intend to play either for at least a couple of months (occupied with Skyrim, B:AC and BF3).

Should I make the trade? I guess what I'm asking is, which of the two will be cheaper within the next couple of months?

PaulLFC

Need some advice here.

Someone is offering to trade Saints Row The Third for my Civ 5 GOTY. I ultimately want both games, but I don't intend to play either for at least a couple of months (occupied with Skyrim, B:AC and BF3).

Should I make the trade? I guess what I'm asking is, which of the two will be cheaper within the next couple of months?
Probably Civ, as I think it was either 66% or 75% off in the sale just gone, SR3 was 33% off.

And, at $25, their next game will sell even less than Chantelise. Fuck.

Yeah. Racettear sold well because it had a really novel concept and good word of mouth because of it.
Chantelise was just some dungeon crawler iirc, but at least it was cheap.

This just seems like a very bad idea.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just beat Pscyhonauts 100% and got every achievement. Well worth the $2 I paid 2 years ago. Such an amazing game and I'm glad I was able to play it with steam achievements and a 360 ui patch.

Nabs

It looks like we're getting a demo for The Darkness II soon. I haven't been following the game, but I'm down to try it out.

ctrayne

Also, I like to think about my 50-something-self starting steam on his future-tech computer and looking at how badly those games have aged.

Maybe, maybe...then again, I played Thief II for the first time this year and thought it kicked massive amounts of ass, and will play it again and again in the future, so who knows?

Playing S.P.A.Z has made me become a life long enemy of zombies. They used to be slow and kind of funny, sure they bit you now and then and always takes a few bullets too much to kill.

But zombies piloting spaceships....

KILL THEM WITH FIRE! ALL OF THEM!

Be right back, off to cleanse the galaxy. Lets see how you like my fully upgraded stealth drones you f**kers.

Probably Civ, as I think it was either 66% or 75% off in the sale just gone, SR3 was 33% off.

Cheers, but now that I think about it, if SR3 is already £10 on Amazon, it'll be £7 within a couple of months. I doubt Civ 5 GOTY is going to get to that low a price, at least not here in Blighty.

Edit: Seems like both Civ 5 GOTY and SR3 are £10 right now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It looks like we're getting a demo for The Darkness II soon. I haven't been following the game, but I'm down to try it out.

Totally forgot that existed. The first game was neat, so I'll give the demo a chance. Seems like there are quite a few notable 2012 games sneaking up on us already.

dLMN8R

Anyone who lost your categories - can you confirm if you did the following immediately beforehand?

1) Sign in using computer A
2) Sign in using computer B (A gets kicked off)
3) Go back to computer A later, do not log in. Close steam without entering password instead of logging back in

Totally forgot that existed. The first game was neat, so I'll give the demo a chance. Seems like there are quite a few notable 2012 games sneaking up on us already.

I still have no clue how that game got a sequel. It wasn't bad per se, I just don't remember it lighting the world on fire or anything.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

One thing I think Valve really needs to push similar to MS does on XBL. Its harder to do with bigger publishers, but damn do those small titles I never heard about need a demo.

dani_dc

Yeah. Racettear sold well because it had a really novel concept and good word of mouth because of it.
Chantelise was just some dungeon crawler iirc, but at least it was cheap.

This just seems like a very bad idea.

This game is nothing like either of those games, it's by a different developer.
I'll agree that the price is too high, but apparently it's something the developer insisted on according to CF twitter.

They already managed to get the developer to drop the DRM that the game had so this I'm just glad we're getting the game really.

One thing I think Valve really needs to push similar to MS does on XBL. Its harder to do with bigger publishers, but damn do those small titles I never heard about need a demo.

Valve should just enable a demo service where you get a one-off license to play a retail game for 4 hours, then it locks again and deletes the content. Obviously this would mean you could play Call of Duty games for free but... actually I can't see a downside.

More demos are never a bad thing, I just don't even remember the last time I played a demo. They're pretty worthless to me. Something either looks interesting, is on some crazy sale, or someone on gaf recommends it are usually the only ways to get me to buy your game. I don't have time for demos.

PaulLFC

Cheers, but now that I think about it, if SR3 is already £10 on Amazon, it'll be £7 within a couple of months. I doubt Civ 5 GOTY is going to get to that low a price, at least not here in Blighty.
Ah yeah, I completely forgot about retail for some reason.

Chesskid1

Banned
Valve should just enable a demo service where you get a one-off license to play a retail game for 4 hours, then it locks again and deletes the content. Obviously this would mean you could play Call of Duty games for free but... actually I can't see a downside.

I always thought it would be smart for steam to do something like android marketplace, where you would have like 24 hours for refunds. Would be really nice.

Amazon does something like that as well for ebooks, but you get 7(!) days for refunds.

it's probably way easy for people to take advantage of, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom