• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

So, the pre-order "bonus" for SoaSE on Steam is that you get to beta test and find bugs for them?

(I guess I shouldn't judge -- if TES VI or BL2 offered that, I'd probably pre-order instantly.)

Still, it's customary to offer either a discount or free swag...

Tess3ract

Banned
The reason would be something better playing and not as stale-looking and more expansive coming out soon for likely not much more and also likely to go on sale relatively soon afterward considering franchise sale patterns.

Basically, it looks interesting, but I have a lot of games to play. If the next one will render this one irrelevant, it's not saving any money even to get it on sale. I would have a window to play it before it gets upgraded in the next game of the franchise, but if I play it out that quickly (fans have had over 2 years to soak it in) then it could have a burnout effect, diminishing the experience that the new game could have been.

Alternatively, if I pace things more slowly so I'm not burned out and wait to pick up the next one at a super cheap price, I may then be in a similar situation again looking forward to the next installment after that one. So then, knowing that the path of spending less now could end up being a case of spending more truly and diminishing overall impact of franchise experience, why would a newcomer get X3 instead of waiting for X Rebirth?

You're too practical for the steam thread. Also why get anything, if you wait something else will get better.

The man who waits for two birds in the bush, doesn't get the bird in his hand, or something.

So, the pre-order "bonus" for SoaSE on Steam is that you get to beta test and find bugs for them?

(I guess I shouldn't judge -- if TES VI or BL2 offered that, I'd probably pre-order instantly.)

Still, it's customary to offer either a discount or free swag...

The discount is $10 off if you already own SOSE. And if you don't already own SOSE, shame on you.

Phinor

The discount is $10 off if you already own SOSE. And if you don't already own SOSE, shame on you.

Not exactly though, you need to own Diplomacy expansion for the discount. I pre-ordered the original SOSE, bought the first expansion on day 1 but I'm not entitled to the discount because I skipped Diplomacy.

Why is the Microsoft Flight game not causing a huge backlash and boycott of everything Microsoft/developer that charges insane prices for downloadable content?

02Hvg.jpg

Microsoft is that uncle who you never see, but actually showed up to christmas that one year and gave you a shitty present and fucked your mom. We're just so surprised to see them that we forget about criticizing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sigh what the fuck man....

Why can't I all of the sudden get steam to even start :S? Been using it for years and these past 7 days it's been a damn dice roll to whether or not I can get steam.exe to start. The process just sits there and does nothing. Stopping at 21,116kb ram usage.

Tess3ract

Banned
Not exactly though, you need to own Diplomacy expansion for the discount. I pre-ordered the original SOSE, bought the first expansion on day 1 but I'm not entitled to the discount because I skipped Diplomacy.

But that's the best one! (I own them all but i dont have the money for preordering)

Why can't I all of the sudden get steam to even start :S? Been using it for years and these past 7 days it's been a damn dice roll to whether or not I can get steam.exe to start. The process just sits there and does nothing. Stopping at 21,116kb ram usage.

Have you tried cutting your steamapps folder somewhere safe, uninstalling steam, re-installing steam, pasting back your steamapps folder?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Have you tried cutting your steamapps folder somewhere safe, uninstalling steam, re-installing steam, pasting back your steamapps folder?

The way I currently get it to work is simply to kill the process via taskmanager and keep trying it until it starts, sometimes the process vanishes by itself and others it just gets stuck.

HoosTrax

Why is the Microsoft Flight game not causing a huge backlash and boycott of everything Microsoft/developer that charges insane prices for downloadable content?

02Hvg.jpg
No point boycotting something I had no interest in to begin with. *hugs FSX dvd case*

It's sort of like with Confrontation -- I'm aware that it has some shitty DRM, but being that it's made by Cyanide, it wouldn't be worth buying even if it didn't have said DRM, so it's not worth the effort raising a stink over it.

The way I currently get it to work is simply to kill the process via taskmanager and keep trying it until it starts, sometimes the process vanishes by itself and others it just gets stuck.

This has been happening to me for about a year now. I just put up with it :/

dani_dc

Have you tried deleteing ClientRegistry.blob?

I used the christmas coupon because I didn't wanna risk it not coming to sale for that.

Also, magic worth it?

I think so. If you play Magic in real life you might be disappointed in the lack of deck building, but it does mean the game is very streamlined and easy to learn and play.

I've never played Magic in real life, but the computer game is actually my most played game on Steam (in number of hours played).

I think the gold version is easily worth the $7.

Aaron

I used the christmas coupon because I didn't wanna risk it not coming to sale for that.

Also, magic worth it?
You don't have full deck building, but you have a wide range of decks to unlock and customize to some extent. Some people don't like that you have to wait for stages of the turns, but I think it makes a great chill game that way.

The_End

Isn't there a new 2013 edition of magic the gathering coming in a few months? What happens when that comes out? Is the 2012 edition obsolete? Or will you still be able to play the 2012 deck against people with the 2013 deck?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The red table in the screens for MtG is really ugly. Is there some way to play with alternate table backgrounds?

Talyn

Isn't there a new 2013 edition of magic the gathering coming in a few months? What happens when that comes out? Is the 2012 edition obsolete? Or will you still be able to play the 2012 deck against people with the 2013 deck?
If they handle it the same way they did the 2010 edition it will be obsolete.

Glass Rebel

I don't mind devs removing older versions as long as the new ones are better and as long as they don't take the option to buy DLC for that old version. "Luckily" I already had bought all DLC for Duels of the Planeswalkers 1 before they removed it.

Edit: Oh wait, you can still buy the DLC.

Edit2: And even the game! I'm having a Twilight Zone moment right now.

Aaron

The red table in the screens for MtG is really ugly. Is there some way to play with alternate table backgrounds?
The table is a lot more grey than red in the actual game.

I just played a hand. Only got four land cards for the entire game. My opponent got 15! I still won though. Death deck is the best deck.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SpaceChem yesterday and today Frozen Synapse. Cheap Gaming Heaven.

cicero

Both of them have been in Bundles for like $1...

Only if you elected to pay that little when you bought the bundle...

Also, doesn't change the value of Spacechem or Frozen Synapse, which are certainly worth the purchase at the sale price from yesterday and today.

$1 Humble Bundle purchasers... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom