• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard Reset disappointed me hugely, given the hype. It's competent, but lacks weight to the gunplay, which is all-important in its genre. Amazing looking, though.

Bulletstorm says you are wrong

Hard Reset, is good but nothing more than that...when the game ends feels like a demo of 4 hours, ends when the climax begin...and need more variety

Eh, I got much, much more enjoyment out of Hard Reset. But I prefer the waves and waves of enemies over a modern shooter.

I haven't played enough of Serious Sam 3 to have a proper opinion on that.

HoosTrax

How do people like Hard Reset? It's $7.49 over at GMG.
Very linear, run-and-gun, old-school style shooter (health pickups instead of regenerating health) with sort of an Unreal-feel, and a completely incomprehensible storyline. The upgrades system was an appreciated, modern touch though.

Both Bulletstorm and Hard Reset were "one playthrough and move on to the next game" types of deals for me. I got way more mileage out of Borderlands and DXHR (although it's not really fair to call DX a real FPS, as the first-person shooting aspect is a minor part of the game).

HoosTrax

I find it annoying to be honest, when Amazon does it to price-match a Steam sale, instead of discounting something else so that there is no overlap. Especially in cases when I already have it on Steam to begin with (and even if I didn't, it's several fewer steps for me to buy it direct from Steam) or if the Steam sale is for something I never wanted at all, and I'd like to see different offerings from Amazon.

Oreoleo

I also liked Hard Reset a lot, and certainly quite a bit more than Bulletstorm. They are similar in game play I suppose, but couldn't be more different in mood and atmosphere and Hard Reset was much, much better in that regard. And hey, it's getting free DLC soon too. How can you beat that?

Dambrosi

Banned
Best first-person shooter from last year.

Bulletstorm says you are wrong

Hard Reset, is good but nothing more than that...when the game ends feels like a demo of 4 hours, ends when the climax begin...and need more variety

No, sorry, but while I'm enjoying my current playthrough of Bulletstorm immensely, I'd still say that Hard Reset's weapon upgrade system and oppressive atmosphere just edges it...so far, at least. I'm only four hours in, so maybe the next few hours of BS will turn my opinion.

Though I'll give Bulletstorm this - it certainly has more Kodak Moments.

cicero

I find it annoying to be honest, when Amazon does it to price-match a Steam sale, instead of discounting something else so that there is no overlap. Especially in cases when I already have it on Steam to begin with (and even if I didn't, it's several fewer steps for me to buy it direct from Steam) or if the Steam sale is for something I never wanted at all, and I'd like to see different offerings from Amazon.
The overlap is the result of competitive price matching. As for Amazon titles that activate on Steam, I would rather buy on Amazon and have whatever I bought on TWO digital distribution services instead of just one. Tony, the Official Amazon Rep here and on CAG, responds to and actually fulfills sale requests all the time. He also has pointed out that he receives hundreds of emails asking for specific titles from specific publishers. Not sure why they should ignore requests to price match just to achieve some weird "no overlap" requirement that doesn't seem to be vocalized or desired by anyone else.

HoosTrax

The overlap is the result of competitive price matching. As for Amazon titles that activate on Steam, I would rather buy on Amazon and have whatever I bought on TWO digital distribution services instead of just one. Tony, the Official Amazon Rep here and on CAG, responds to and actually fulfills sale requests all the time. He also has pointed out that he receives hundreds of emails asking for specific titles from specific publishers. Not sure why they should ignore requests to price match just to achieve some weird "no overlap" requirement that doesn't seem to be vocalized or desired by anyone else.
I don't mind it at all if there's a wide range of offerings in addition to the price-matched stuff, but I've seen weeks where the only digital downloads on major discount at Amazon were things already on sale on Steam, which seems redundant and increases the likelihood I have nothing to buy that week.

I don't mind it at all if there's a wide range of offerings in addition to the price-matched stuff, but I've seen weeks where the only digital downloads on major discount at Amazon were things already on sale on Steam, which seems redundant and increases the likelihood I have nothing to buy that week.

Just to clarify, I keep a spreadsheet of deals and discounts, as well as when they've been discounted on steam vs. Amazon (us). We've been first to market on almost every major promotional discount since November with the exception of the recent Deus Ex sale (which we will be running at the end of April).

This includes our current Spring Sale...which includes:

Darkness II - $12.49
Serious Sam 3 BFE - $12
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate + Dragon Age 2 (Dual Pack) - $10
MLB 2K12 - $19.99
Warhammer: Space Marine - $10
Crusader Kings II - $18

The list goes on.

Historically, we've had the following discounts months in advance of Steam:

1. We had Deus Ex at $9.99 in November...3 times
2. We've had Dungeon Defenders at $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99 at least 5 times
3. We've had Payday: The Heist at $4.99
4. Just Cause 2: $2.49
5. We had Saint's Row The Third for $24.99 in the first week of December
6. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition - $5.99
7. Civ V Game of the Year Edition - $10.19

Again, these are just examples but they represent the whole.

I am sorry we haven't reached you to let you know about these awesome deals, I am constantly trying to expand our message so that more people hear about the deals we're bringing.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd love to answer them.

Cheers,
Tony

Shambles

Heh, just booted up super meat boy and now I remember how absolute shit the controls are. They really could have spent the 5 minutes to get the kb/m to behave the same way that a stick does.

Card Boy

Banned
An upgade on Payday: The Heist from Bo (Overkill Dev)

overkill_bo said:
Guys just posting to give you a heads up

DLC is really a Expansion pack. It extends the game lenght with about 40%

The Update with OVERKILL 145+ has hit PSN just now and will hit PC in between 3-20 hours (all depends on ppl pushing emails between SONY, OVERKILL and VALVE and stars aligning)

UPDATE 6 for PC is a lot of extra game play and fun / much more so than mere bug fixes etc

We know you will love it >)

Also a timeline of what to expect in terms of updates. (we are at update 6)

overkill_bo said:
Nope order is as follows

Update 6

Update 7 (small)

DLC expansion 1

Update 8

DLC expansion 2

etc

PC update is up now as of this post.

No patch notes yet, but i discovered a FOV slider in the options menu. up 100 FOV, and up to 75 when aiming down the sights (it has separate sliders for both)

cicero

Just to clarify, I keep a spreadsheet of deals and discounts, as well as when they've been discounted on steam vs. Amazon (us). We've been first to market on almost every major promotional discount since November with the exception of the recent Deus Ex sale (which we will be running at the end of April).

Cheers,
Tony
wow. For some reason I had it in my mind that a large chunk of that was in response to Steam sales. I stand corrected, and it feels good. Thank you for taking the initiative in slashing prices!

Tonys the best.
Indeed!

AlexBasch

An upgade on Payday: The Heist from Bo (Overkill Dev)

Also a timeline of what to expect in terms of updates. (we are at update 6)

PC update is up now as of this post.

No patch notes yet, but i discovered a FOV slider in the options menu. up 100 FOV, and up to 75 when aiming down the sights (it has separate sliders for both)
Good news. I bought it and I was bummed out to see that it's basically dead online, hopefully I'll find more players when the updates arrive, thanks for the news. :)

jediyoshi

Space, Pirates, and Zombies is the new free ign game for prime subs
The 5 game special from last month went down, but King Arthur is still up
and keys for the AirMech alpha and GRO beta just went up as well

Juan Carlo

Neo Member
How do people like Hard Reset? It's $7.49 over at GMG.

It's only worth it if you are the sort of gamer who plays everything on the hardest difficulty. On "easy" or "normal" "Hard Reset" will take you like 4 hours tops and you'll most likely be underwhelmed. However, on "insane" it's a different game entirely. It will probably take you 10 hours or so and is very challenging in a satisfying way (think "Serious Sam" only it's not as long and repetitive as Serious Sam).

I really loved Hard Reset once I pumped the difficulty up to insane.

Nabs

Space, Pirates, and Zombies is the new free ign game for prime subs
The 5 game special from last month went down, but King Arthur is still up
and keys for the AirMech alpha and GRO beta just went up as well

IGN Prime is definitely worth the price.

Im_Special

playing it now. seems pretty bad.

Wrong, game is pretty great. I've put a ridiculous 6 hours into the game today, it's very coffee break like and fast paced, also any roguelike without a huger system is win in my book, also great to play while you listen to podcasts.

Few things though, a lot of the classes suck, you unlock better ones by dieing and they will completely out class previous ones Amazon > Archer for example, and the RNG in this game can be pretty WTF sometimes, like one time I was totally balling on floor 4 with my Warrior, he had 150~ HP 100~/50 ATK which is really good, I drank a potion which reset my stats.... FUUUU. Another was when I was on my Amazon and one fireball from some wizard destroyed all my equipment on floor 5 ... FUUU.

Anyway my first win which probably took me 30 deaths to do, all I had to do was kill that dragon above me which I did in 2 shots.

C9AE1B4AB0729161085852ECD3A5CFE614D00287

Zimbardo

Wrong, game is pretty great.

uh huh ...seemed pretty terrible to me anyway.

half the time its hard to see what you're clicking on and its hard as hell to get any kind of health regen. your health just slowly deteriorates after each enemy encounter until its quickly 'game over'. really takes the fun out of trying to complete any quests.

HoosTrax

I am sorry we haven't reached you to let you know about these awesome deals, I am constantly trying to expand our message so that more people hear about the deals we're bringing.
Thanks for the info, just picked up a Darksiders key for $5.

I think part of the reason why I'm not as up-to-date and aware of the Amazon sales is that when I am, it's usually as a result of someone posting about it on one of the forums I read and not me actually visiting the Amazon site to see them for myself. It's not really obvious to me when I should be checking Amazon to find new discounts, whereas with Steam, they have those countdown timers and you know to check at 1pm EST every day.

Beyond that, there's a lot of clutter and the site looks a bit busy, which is understandable since it's part of the larger Amazon business. But the end result is that the DD section isn't as streamlined as those of the companies that specialize in DD games.

Anyone using the PixelVision skin get this weird stutter when scrolling with the middle mouse button in Steam? If I use the scrollbar everything is fine but when I use the mouse wheel it stutters badly.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Anyone using the PixelVision skin get this weird stutter when scrolling with the middle mouse button in Steam? If I use the scrollbar everything is fine but when I use the mouse wheel it stutters badly.

I don't use PixelVision, but this was happening the other week to me. Really odd. Went away on its own though.

I don't use PixelVision, but this was happening the other week to me. Really odd. Went away on its own though.

Interesting. This may not be related to the skin then. I noticed it started happening after one of the recent Steam updates but I thought it was the skin because I updated that too. It doesn't do it every time but it is happening pretty frequently, especially on the main store page. :/

Juan Carlo

Neo Member
RE: Hack, Slash, Loot

I haven't played it enough to say for sure if it's good or not, but I do kind of agree about the graphics. I don't mind retro graphics at all, but I keep looking for a zoom button. Even in fullscreen it's very hard to see what's going on and even harder to read the help texts that appear when you hover over various buttons.

EDIT: Never mind. I guess there is a "magnify" button. It doesn't make text easier to read, but it requires less squinting as far as graphics are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom