• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought my first steam sale ever (Magic 2012) for 7 bucks. Awesome deal, couldn't resist. I guess this is the beginning of an era of ruin and huge backlogs :p

Ugh. You really shouldnt have done that. You still had a chance. You were living the good life. You gave up freedom and have now become a slave of Gabes where every day the first thing you do when waking up is to check Steam.com for a sale. Where you see your game library grow. Where you begin budgeting in Steam with your food budget and rent. Where you try and buy a game only to find out you already own it. You gave up your freedom and have now become one of us.

chixdiggit

Shoot Many Robots matchmaking is absurd. If it sticks you in a game in progress, it makes you wait at a static screen with only info of how much health each player has and the % progress they've made it through the level.

D98v7.jpg

Bummer about a lot of the game since the gameplay itself is fine and items are pretty rad.

Fuck that game. No controller support and no local co-op. I'll buy when the PC version gets a proper release.

Dambrosi

Banned
Shoot Many Robots matchmaking is absurd. If it sticks you in a game in progress, it makes you wait at a static screen with only info of how much health each player has and the % progress they've made it through the level.

D98v7.jpg

Bummer about a lot of the game since the gameplay itself is fine and items are pretty rad.

This game doesn't have much (if any) competition in the scrolling Contra clone market on PC, though.

Unless you count MAME and the actual Contra games and all their clones.

And Hard Corps: Uprising on XBLA.

The fact that SMR doesn't have basic Games For Windows Live features like controller support (it's an XBLA game, for fuck sakes, there's no excuse), local co-op or a proper spectator mode really makes me think the devs were made to rush the PC version out. Which begs the question "Why?"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I got invited to one of those ridiculous Steam-Mensa groups for people with high game counts. I have no idea why they invited me, I barely have any games :p

Calidor

Ugh. You really shouldnt have done that. You still had a chance. You were living the good life. You gave up freedom and have now become a slave of Gabes where every day the first thing you do when waking up is to check Steam.com for a sale. Where you see your game library grow. Where you begin budgeting in Steam with your food budget and rent. Where you try and buy a game only to find out you already own it. You gave up your freedom and have now become one of us.

I swear I won't buy anything that is not on my wish list!

too bad that there are already 15+ games on it :(

Joe Molotov

I just looked through my Wish List and it made me sad because there was a couple of games on it that I never bought and now they aren't in the store anymore. :(

Lol. Yep. I cant wait till i get the 680 so i can finally enjoy the games I have.

Didnt you just build a PC?

I just looked through my Wish List and it made me sad because there was a couple of games on it that I never bought and now they aren't in the store anymore. :(

Crysis 2 : ( If somebody has a steam gift copy tucked away somewhere I bet there are people that would pay quite a bit for it.

Crysis 2 : ( If somebody has a steam gift copy tucked away somewhere I bet there are people that would pay quite a bit for it.

That would only be possible if there was an unredeemed gift of Crysis 2 right? Because the inventory and trading only became features well after the game had been removed from the store. I'm so glad I bought it before they took it down.

There's a Steam forum thread which lists all the games that have been removed from Steam - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901888

That would only be possible if there was an unredeemed gift of Crysis 2 right? Because the inventory and trading only became features well after the game had been removed from the store. I'm so glad I bought it before they took it down.

There's a Steam forum thread which lists all the games that have been removed from Steam - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901888

I believe that back then people were mailing the gift to their own email address to re-gift later. Could be still a few out there. I wonder how much one would go for?

1-D_FTW

I believe that back then people were mailing the gift to their own email address to re-gift later. Could be still a few out there. I wonder how much one would go for?

It'd have to be for the really OCD crew out there. The game's certainly no classic worthy of being in a collection. And with deals routinely popping up for 7.50, it's just easier to buy it for Origin and "throw it away" when finished.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Oh yea okay I forgot about that. I was referring to campaign co-op obviously. The Bulletstorm horde mode co-op was actually quite fun, but seeing as how it uses GFWL matchmaking and the game sold like shit, I doubt there will be many (or any) people online still playing it. And reaching the score targets with just 2 people would be too hard I think.

Can you do that locally? Or is it online only?

It'd have to be for the really OCD crew out there. The game's certainly no classic worthy of being in a collection. And with deals routinely popping up for 7.50, it's just easier to buy it for Origin and "throw it away" when finished.

Yea I'd be surprised if anyone would pay anything more than the 60$ full price for it. I don't think it ever got a discount on Steam. Maybe someone would pay a bit more if they simply must have it on Steam, but I dunno...

Can you do that locally? Or is it online only?

From what I remember, it was online only with GFWL matchmaking. I don't think it had any local co-op but I could be wrong... it's been a long time since I played it.

MNC

I'm still butthurt about Prey. I'd love to have it on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some of those games, such as Prey, are strange cases because they're still published at retail and/or available on competing DD services.

I'm still butthurt about Prey. I'd love to have it on Steam.

Buy a retail copy on the cheap.

MNC

Some of those games, such as Prey, are strange cases because they're still published at retail and/or available on competing DD services.

Buy a retail copy on the cheap.

Retail cd keys of Prey can be registered on Steam. I bought my copy from Gamersgate and it activated just fine on Steam. GG seems to have stopped selling the game as well It didn't show up in the search but it seems GG still sells the game (http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-PREY/prey)

:O so this one activated for you on Steam? Will have to try it out then. Thanks!

Err, do I not see a buy button because I don't have an account, or because they don't have keys? Never used GG.

benjipwns

Banned
Any Prey keys still floating out there in the world will register on Steam. They aren't making more though, so eventually you won't be able to register it.

IIRC, it's because of the whole situation with Triton or whatever it was, there's only a finite number of keys.
Err, do I not see a buy button because I don't have an account, or because they don't have keys? Never used GG.
I'm logged in, doesn't show up as purchasable for me. (Offers to "notify on release.")

JaseC

:O so this one activated for you on Steam? Will have to try it out then. Thanks!

Yeah, there's no buy button -- hence the "Alert me on release" checkbox. I'd say the page has been left up in error.

You could try importing a copy from Zavvi/The Hut ("Usually dispatched within a month").

Edit: Better yet, try Amazon, as our resident Orange suggested below. Don't know why that didn't come to mind. :p

1-D_FTW

Just went through and did a realistic headcount of games I have any intention of ever playing (there's a chunk I'll never play and am willing to admit to).

Not counting my wishlist or games with infinite playability, I have 58 single-player games in my backlog. It's actually a lot less than I figured. And I've actually completed more games than I've purchased this year. Still, a lot of those games are the 30 - 50 hour variety. So I still have years worth. It's just slightly better than I assumed.

JaseC

Any Prey keys still floating out there in the world will register on Steam. They aren't making more though, so eventually you won't be able to register it.

IIRC, it's because of the whole situation with Triton or whatever it was, there's only a finite number of keys.

I'm logged in, doesn't show up as purchasable for me. (Offers to "notify on release.")

I don't think it's to do with the abrupt death of Triton since DIS acted as merely a distributor. Rather, I'd say it's because 2K published the game but the rights to the IP remained in the hands of other companies (Radar Group until 2009, Zenimax/Bethesda currently). The legal mess reminds me of the System Shock IP currently and probably forevermore being in suspended animation.

Yea I didn't see a buy button either, but I figured that was because I already owned the game on my GG account. Guess they're not selling it after all. Maybe you could get a copy from Amazon or something if you really must have it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just went through and did a realistic headcount of games I have any intention of ever playing (there's a chunk I'll never play and am willing to admit to).

Not counting my wishlist or games with infinite playability, I have 58 single-player games in my backlog. It's actually a lot less than I figured. And I've actually completed more games than I've purchased this year. Still, a lot of those games are the 30 - 50 hour variety. So I still have years worth. It's just slightly better than I assumed.

I had like 50 games just from that damned Telltale pack.

I am going HAM on it this year though finishing Sam & Max Season 1/2/3, Jurassic Park, Puzzle Agent 1/2 and I'm midway through Tales of Monkey Island.

Thank god the episodes aren't more than a couple hours each.

MNC

Question about Sins of a solar empire: Rebellion.

It's officially a standalone expansion pack; but does it contain everything Trinity has as well? AKA might as well just buy Rebellion? Or is something in Trinity worth the purchase on steam?

Danj

Question about Sins of a solar empire: Rebellion.

It's officially a standalone expansion pack; but does it contain everything Trinity has as well? AKA might as well just buy Rebellion? Or is something in Trinity worth the purchase on steam?

I don't suppose there's any way I can get my original Stardock/Impulse version onto Steam?

EDIT: of the original Sins games that is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can someone explain the Age of Empires Online situation to me?

As far as I can tell:
- The game is free to play

- You can choose from the Greeks, the Egyptians, or the Celts by default. The Celts might not be free to play. I can't tell. Certain features of each of those civilizations are locked off behind a paywall. It costs $9.99 per civilization, currently on sale for 4.99 each.

- Separately, the Persian civilization is available for $9.99, currently on sale for $4.99, but if you buy it, you start at Level 20.

- There's a $4.99 DLC pack that adds extra campaign stuff, including what seems to be a Horde mode. It might ONLY be a Horde mode. I can't really tell. I can't tell if this content is open to all civilizations, or just some. It comes in a bundle with the Celt civilization paywall for $9.99 (making it by definition crazy to buy the Celt civilization without getting this bundle, and yet they're sold separately.). That bundle is currently on sale for $4.99, making it crazy to buy this DLC without getting the Celt pack, and yet they are sold separately.

- There's a $4.99 DLC pack that unlocks a controllable skirmish mode. It is not currently on sale. Is there any PvP in the game at all without this?

- The regular price for all of this content is $49.99. Buying all of it separately on sale would be $30. Buying a bundle with all of it is $17.

- There's a whole bunch of cosmetic crap that does nothing and costs money.

Am I getting anything wrong? I just played the game for maybe 45 minutes as the Greeks. Aspects of it seemed neat, but a lot of it rubbed me the wrong way. If I just want to play a game like AoE2 (both in terms of the campaign mode and in terms of PvP), what should I buy, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

I don't suppose there's any way I can get my original Stardock/Impulse version onto Steam?

EDIT: of the original Sins games that is.

Nope. Waiting for a good sale to buy sins again (already rebought gal civ 2) and then I'm completly done with impulse. Stardock was the only reason I ever used impulse (yes gal civ 2 is that good!) and it was a pretty good service (drm free! Not sure if that was a garuentee or just all the titles I happened to own). Too bad it's owned by gamestop now. I know there was a big usage drop from their crazy loyal fans too.

Here it is: http://www.stardock.com/press/CustomerReports/Stardock2011.pdf

Page 13 of that report is interesting, and 14 makes me laugh.

Einbroch

Banned
Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition for $10. Never played it. Good game? I've never played any Witcher game.

And Stump, back when I played the beta youm basically had to buy something to get the most out of the game. You can't use the best gear unless you make a purchase. It's kind of like an extended demo. The game itself ism pretty good about not having you feel the need to constantly spend money. Spend the $17 and you'll be set. PVP is free, I believe, when you hit a certain level.

At least that's how it was.

JaseC

Can someone explain the Age of Empires Online situation to me?

As far as I can tell:
- The game is free to play

- You can choose from the Greeks, the Egyptians, or the Celts by default. The Celts might not be free to play. I can't tell. Certain features of each of those civilizations are locked off behind a paywall. It costs $9.99 per civilization, currently on sale for 4.99 each.

- Separately, the Persian civilization is available for $9.99, currently on sale for $4.99, but if you buy it, you start at Level 20.

- There's a $4.99 DLC pack that adds extra campaign stuff, including what seems to be a Horde mode. It might ONLY be a Horde mode. I can't really tell. I can't tell if this content is open to all civilizations, or just some. It comes in a bundle with the Celt civilization paywall for $9.99 (making it by definition crazy to buy the Celt civilization without getting this bundle, and yet they're sold separately.). That bundle is currently on sale for $4.99, making it crazy to buy this DLC without getting the Celt pack, and yet they are sold separately.

- There's a $4.99 DLC pack that unlocks a controllable skirmish mode. It is not currently on sale. Is there any PvP in the game at all without this?

- The regular price for all of this content is $49.99. Buying all of it separately on sale would be $30. Buying a bundle with all of it is $17.

- There's a whole bunch of cosmetic crap that does nothing and costs money.

Am I getting anything wrong? I just played the game for maybe 45 minutes as the Greeks. Aspects of it seemed neat, but a lot of it rubbed me the wrong way. If I just want to play a game like AoE2 (both in terms of the campaign mode and in terms of PvP), what should I buy, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

From what I've gathered, the game is PvP by default. The Skirmish Booster Pack is the only DLC pack that adds the ability to have AI opponents substitute other players.

Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition for $10. Never played it. Good game? I've never played any Witcher game.

IIRR it's been cheaper. Unless you want to play it right now. I bought it (for 6 bucks?) and then it went on sale for super cheap ($3 i think) during the Christmas sale. Still haven't played it. :|

inky

@Stump

1. Yes

2. Yes. Things like rare & epic loot (to equip your units), more inventory space (there's crafting in the game) advisors (give you special units, buffs, etc) ranked and custom PvP, Co-op missions and spending special currency is only accessible for premium civs.

3. Yeah, exactly. Both have missions and new units and gear, difference is you start at level 20 with a Pro civ.

4. Yeah, it's kind of like that. The defense of Crete pack is only a bunch of defense missions and it is true that it is dumb to have it as a separate pack. I bought the Celts with MSP over at the GFW store they didn't have that pack, so I only got a civ for $5. I think you can use this pack even if you didn't buy any premium civ so it shouldn't matter what else you own.

5. There's PvP even with a free civ, but more limited. Skirmish mode I think allows custom matches with friends like 4v4 or 1-2-4vAI in special maps. Without the skirmish pack there is no way to play against the AI other than missions, so I guess that's the point of that pack.

6. Yep. The bundle is good value for $17 I think.

7. Yep.

Sadly there's no historical campaign like in AoE2. If you buy a premium civ it goes on like you saw in the free version: you get a bunch of missions from different guys with different rewards. You get to build your city, improve your tech tree and dress up your units and craft stuff and you can PvP and visit other cities and buy stuff from there like 1 time use buffs, units or equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom