• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Signal Studios dropped several information bombs today about its Toy Soldiers series, with the first volley announcing that the original Toy Soldiers will be available on Steam and Games for Windows Live Marketplace today for $9.99. The Steam version will be 25 percent off during launch week.

Wow
I can tolerate GWFTL but the framerate in the XBLA original was horrible. Is the PC port capped at 30fps?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Impressions if you can please, I'm in the same boat ;).

Evochron is awesome. I love the seamless approach onto planets, although I with there was more to do in orbit. Its not as polished as X series, but its a lot of fun and its somewhat different, its more of an individual in a galaxy game than an empire management game.

nexen

Evochron is awesome. I love the seamless approach onto planets, although I with there was more to do in orbit. Its not as polished as X series, but its a lot of fun and its somewhat different, its more of an individual in a galaxy game than an empire management game.

All of this sounds great. What do you mean about the seamless approach onto planets? You fly through the atmosphere and land line in Elite: Frontier?

Yep really wan't Evochron but I'm also really broke atm, going to have to wait for the next opportunity to get it.

Every bullet point about the game is intriguing.

good kudos then?

Glass Rebel

True. It was such a great game, though. Great art style, interesting story... and then it ends on a goddamn cliffhanger. I want more of it!

One of the most underrated FPS games I think.

Red Steel 2 on Wii was eerily similar in a lot of ways but sadly held back by some weird semi-open world.

I just want a good FPS with stealth elements and throwing knives. :(

Visualante2 said:
I played it on console, but that game was garbage, further deflated by Duchovny's voice acting. I was so excited about it.

Your face is garbage. Playing XIII on console, pff.

PaulLFC

Just bought an external hard drive to store my Steam games on, but I'm not sure what the best process for doing that is.

I hardly have any games installed to the C drive at the moment, so could I just reinstall Steam to the external HD and download games as normal through Steam and they would download to and play from the external HD with no problems?

Or am I better leaving Steam installed on the C drive, downloading individual games and then using Steam Mover to move them to the external HD?

MNC

EVE Offline would be my perfect space sim, to the way the skills are handled (queue a few skill books, learn them offline) , the systems (basic weapon/multiple ships/drones/mining, which is pretty much standard in all space sim games), the graphics (my god the graphics are pretty) as well as the jumps between galaxies that you could witness live. (Your ship was basically stuck for a few seconds in hyperspace, which was the 'loading screen')

I would pay full price for EVE Offline.

X3 comes closest afaik, but experiencing EVE online free 2 weeks with the amazing space vistas and the godlike atmospheric music... I wish I could go back and experience it all over again.

AndyD

aka andydumi
All of this sounds great. What do you mean about the seamless approach onto planets? You fly through the atmosphere and land line in Elite: Frontier?

I think so. No cut-scene showing your ship docking like in most space sims.

Correct. You see a planet/moon, approach from space, start descent, when "close" you switch ship to a gravity flight mode and fly like a plane and land at bases or harvest resources.

amrod

NEW

A Valley Without Wind is now available on Steam and is 10% off until May 1st at 10AM Pacific!

A 2D sidescroller without a linear path. An action game with tactical combat and strategic planning. An adventure game that lets you free-roam a vast, procedurally-generated world. A Valley Without Wind defies genre stereotypes. Unlike other procedurally-generated games, you also get a logical progression in difficulty, plus helpful tips and checklists to guide your travels (should you need them).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209330/

$13.49

or 4 pack for $40.49

EVE Offline would be my perfect space sim, to the way the skills are handled (queue a few skill books, learn them offline) , the systems (basic weapon/multiple ships/drones/mining, which is pretty much standard in all space sim games), the graphics (my god the graphics are pretty) as well as the jumps between galaxies that you could witness live. (Your ship was basically stuck for a few seconds in hyperspace, which was the 'loading screen')

X3 comes closest afaik, but experiencing EVE online free 2 weeks with the amazing space vistas and the godlike atmospheric music... I wish I could go back and experience it all over again.

Hopefully it'll go f2p someday. Until then, we can just drool and dream.

nexen

I love me some space sims but I can't get into the X series. It always feels like "Giant, Connected boxes in Space" to me. I know a lot of these games have the same level -> portal -> level structure but for some reason it feels so much more in your face in X. Kills my immersion.

edit: I would kill for a modern Elite: Frontier. sogood.

Red Steel 2 on Wii was eerily similar in a lot of ways but sadly held back by some weird semi-open world.

I just want a good FPS with stealth elements and throwing knives. :(.

The stealth was so good, especially when you got a knife headshot and it brought up those extra panels to show it.

The "you are discovered level over" design in some levels were kinda BS, though. Lots of frustration there and I was quite good at stealth.

I love me some space sims but I can't get into the X series. It always feels like "Giant, Connected boxes in Space" to me. I know a lot of these games have the same level -> portal -> level structure but for some reason it feels so much more in your face in X.

Evochron is completely open, I believe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
NEW

A Valley Without Wind is now available on Steam and is 10% off until May 1st at 10AM Pacific!

A 2D sidescroller without a linear path. An action game with tactical combat and strategic planning. An adventure game that lets you free-roam a vast, procedurally-generated world. A Valley Without Wind defies genre stereotypes. Unlike other procedurally-generated games, you also get a logical progression in difficulty, plus helpful tips and checklists to guide your travels (should you need them).

$13.49

or 4 pack for $40.49

From the AI war guys, intriguing.

Blizzard

Banned
NEW

$13.49

or 4 pack for $40.49
I seem to remember hearing about this way back when it was in development. It looks very strange, Terraria-esque but with an overworld map mixed in.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Evochron is completely open, I believe.

It is. It has portals if you want to use them (between preset points in the galaxy) and you can also fast travel (to within a few sectors away depending on equipment), but you can just set your engines on and go directly if you want to any point. The sectors are map dividers for reference points but its all one really big open space area as far as flight is concerned.

nexen

It is. It has portals if you want to use them (between preset points in the galaxy) and you can also fast travel (to within a few sectors away depending on equipment), but you can just set your engines on and go directly if you want to any point. The sectors are map dividers for reference points but its all one really big open space area as far as flight is concerned.

Sold.

Glass Rebel

The stealth was so good, especially when you got a knife headshot and it brought up those extra panels to show it.

The "you are discovered level over" design in some levels were kinda BS, though. Lots of frustration there and I was quite good at stealth.

It wasn't perfect but I discovered it pretty late (I saw it back in 03/04 in a store but didn't have the money to buy it) so it was a much needed breath of fresh air when I finally played it. Probably my favourite Ubi game despite its flaws.

DTKT

Same.

And I'd go even higher for an X-Wing style space sim with EVE's aesthetics. So stylish it hurts.

The combat is the weakest part of EVE. What makes EVE what it is are the players and how they are free to do what they want.

EVE Offline would be incredibly boring.

Blizzard

Banned
They're trying to trick more people into getting it on their hard drives so that it will periodically auto-update even when the game isn't installed and confuse them.

Salsa

Tequila Works was added to the registry, so it looks like Deadlight will also be on Steam since that's there only title.

http://youtu.be/ZajzuvLAL7w

hooooooly best news in a while, was looking at that game with much jealousy

It seems like Ubisoft will be releasing Peter Jackson's King Kong on Steam.

another great new, heck yeah

maria-menounos6.jpg

I played about three hours of A Valley Without Wind and it definitely clicked with him. I am a huge AI War nut and a lot of that games' best underlying design goals-highly quantitative progression, freedom of player choice, and clear objective-by-objective based play (where the player picks from a variety of objectives depending on how they want to tackle the playthrough).

The animation and art are functional-they will win no awards but the platform/shooting aspect of the game is at the least competent. It's the well documented item crafting and character progression metagame layered on top of that's so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom