• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Any good RPGs on Steam you guys could recommend?

RPGs on Steam I own and enjoy:

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Fallout New Vegas
The Witcher (Haven't gotten far. Was a bit boring at first, but it is growing on me.)
Deus Ex (a bit dated, but still enjoyable)
Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII

RPGs on Steam I own and dislike:

The Last Remnant (annoying characters, story, voices... everything)
Dragon Age Origins (combat is so motherfucking boring I can't stand it)
Torchlight (see DAO complaint)

One thing I enjoy is active combat without tons of micromanaging required. I'm also fine with turn based combat.

All on Steam

Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution.
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Fable 1
Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga
Drakensang
Drakensang: River of Time
Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion

inky

it makes me sad when people dislike DA:O combat :(

It requires a lot of micromanaging (positioning, buffs and debuffs & healing mainly) even when you fiddle enough with the Tactics settings (which I found mostly useless tbh). I didn't mind it but most people said it was like managing an MMO party in a turn based game. It's usually those guys who love DA2's combat which essentially amounted to 1-RRRRRRRRRR-2-RRRRRRRRRR-3-RRRRRRRRRRRR-4-RRRRRRR -Repeat until everything is dead.

How about Bad Rats?

Oh man, a very kind :)P) gaffer gifted me this game, I need to install it sometime soon to see what it's all about.

All on Steam

Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution.
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Fable 1
Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga
Drakensang
Drakensang: River of Time
Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion

Is Oblivion worth the money? People have bitched about the game's level scaling and a whole host of other problems.

Any details on the combat systems in those games?

Why Divinity II specfically?

most people said it was like managing an MMO party in a turn based game. It's usually those guys who love DA2's combat which essentially amounted to 1-RRRRRRRRRR-2-RRRRRRRRRR-3-RRRRRRRRRRRR-4-RRRRRRR -Repeat until everything is dead.

That's a pretty good summary of what I dislike about DAO's combat system. If they wanted to do a combat system dependent on micromanaging they should have made it turn based. Instead they gave a pause button which breaks the flow of combat.

I haven't played DA2 so I can't say anything about that combat system.

ArjanN

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Fallout New Vegas
The Witcher (Haven't gotten far. Was a bit boring at first, but it is growing on me.)

One thing I enjoy is active combat without tons of micromanaging required. I'm also fine with turn based combat.

The witcher 2. :)

Combat is a lot more active than the first game. And overall it's pretty much better in every way.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Edge's final set of levels can go die in a fire. I'm on 45 from the normal set and the timing just feels bullshit with the controls.

Yes, I got past that part!!!!

Tomodachi

Steam is downloading patches for (or I should say redownloading) the Blackwell Trilogy. STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS, yes!
Still...

gMLJTl.png

Oh come on. Really?

Is the PC version of Dead Space 2 any good? I think I remember bad things about Dead Space 1 (like horrible controls with mouse, framerate locked to 30fps, etc... I don't remember exactly). It's pretty tempting at 5€

Zimbardo

Is the PC version of Dead Space 2 any good? I think I remember bad things about Dead Space 1 (like horrible controls with mouse, framerate locked to 30fps, etc... I don't remember exactly). It's pretty tempting at 5€

Dead Space series on pc is excellent.

turn off vsync in the games, and enable it via d3doverrider or in your video card control panel and you'll get 60fps with no screen tearing.

native support for xbox360 pad, too.

This is more of a Steam/Valve support question:

So last week GMG had 40k Space Marine for $12 or something like that, I gave my cousin (don't own CC currently but can paypal anyone except steam for some reason) the link to the GMG deal through steam chat, he then in a random act of stupidity bought the game through steam for $50 and gifted it to me instead of buying from GMG and giving me the CD key so I can add it, unfortunately I accepted the gift in my library before I realized what has he done.

I messaged steam Wednesday the 4th about removing the game form my library and giving it back to my cousin so he can ask for a refund and I've yet gotten a reply besides the automated "we have received your question, a representative will respond to you shortly" which for some reason did not arrive until last Sunday.

Is this normal waiting time for steam support ? or did I just put the issue under the wrong category (Steam Trading/In-Game Items > Technical Issues) ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lord Dredmor collapes in a pile of barf.

Oh hell yeah. Enjoy your life Flimsy Steve the Adventurer.

Nice. I still haven't finished my current, long running playthrough. I think I'm getting close to the end, though. Oddly enough my most successful character is named "Fucked.".

Joe Molotov

This is more of a Steam/Valve support question:

So last week GMG had 40k Space Marine for $12 or something like that, I gave my cousin (don't own CC currently but can paypal anyone except steam for some reason) the link to the GMG deal through steam chat, he then in a random act of stupidity bought the game through steam for $50 and gifted it to me instead of buying from GMG and giving me the CD key so I can add it, unfortunately I accepted the gift in my library before I realized what has he done.

I messaged steam Wednesday the 4th about removing the game form my library and giving it back to my cousin so he can ask for a refund and I've yet gotten a reply besides the automated "we have received your question, a representative will respond to you shortly" which for some reason did not arrive until last Sunday.

Is this normal waiting time for steam support ? or did I just put the issue under the wrong category (Steam Trading/In-Game Items > Technical Issues) ?

I'm 99% sure they're not going to refund it.

Tomodachi

Dead Space series on pc is excellent.

turn off vsync in the games, and enable it via d3doverrider or in your video card control panel and you'll get 60fps with no screen tearing.

native support for xbox360 pad, too.
Any way I can widen the FOV in the first Dead Space? I know it's so narrow to enhance the tension but I'm getting slightly motion sick :p

Also I have a problem with the 360 pad, the analogs have a pretty large dead zone (for my taste at least), any way to solve this issue?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. I still haven't finished my current, long running playthrough. I think I'm getting close to the end, though. Oddly enough my most successful character is named "Fucked.".

I did the same. I was coming up with all kinds of silly yet tough sounding names but then Flimsy Steve shows them all up.

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Fallout New Vegas

Risen is highly recommended if you like the Elders Scrolls series.
Risen is smaller than Bethesdas games but it's much better designed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is it worth buying a 360 controller, or does DS3 + PS3 controller do everything a 360 controller could do?

Pretty much.

The only issue I've had is with Dead Rising 2. Some games detect a PS3/MotionInJoy pad as a wireless 360 pad, and since DR2 doesn't work properly with a wireless 360 pad (never fixed by Capcom, afaik), I can't use my PS3 pad with it. I believe that Assassin's Creed 1 has the same issue, but I haven't tried it myself. Aside from that, I've never had a problem using it with any game that natively supports the 360 pad. I would rather use a 360 pad, since the button prompts would be correct and I consider it the superior pad, but I don't want one bad enough to drop $40.

Card Boy

Banned
If you're lazy, like I am, buy a 360 controller. Plug in and play, works beautifully.

Pretty much. I hated stuffing around with driver programs and stuff like MotionJoy to get my PS3 controller working on PC. I picked up a second hand Xbox 360 controller for 20bucks here in Australia acouple years ago, i'd imagine it would be cheaper in the US.

Plug and play simple, and with matching on screen Xbox controller button prompts.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pretty much. I hated stuffing around with driver programs and stuff like MotionJoy to get my PS3 controller working on PC. I picked up a second hand Xbox 360 controller for 20bucks here in Australia acouple years ago, i'd imagine it would be cheaper in the US.

Plug and play simple, and with matching on screen Xbox controller button prompts.

MotionInJoy has always been plug n' play for me. I just open the menu and click 'enable'. Shit's easy yo.

It got fixed at some point, I played it a bit over Thanksgiving break.

Wow, I'll have to check that out. I'm not allergic to KB/M controls but DR only feels right with a pad.

Card Boy

Banned
MotionInJoy has always been plug n' play for me. I just open the menu and click 'enable'. Shit's easy yo.

Wow, I'll have to check that out. I'm not allergic to KB/M controls but DR only feels right with a pad.

Too much fucking around for my taste lol (i'm serious). My Xbox 360 pad is always plugged in and just works without having to click enable on any menu.

Plus as i said you get the on screen button prompts in games that actually match your Xbox controller instead of the Cirlcle, X, Square, Triangle, and R/L buttons.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
games that require you to hold r2/l2 triggers a ton bother my fingers after a while on a ps3 controller. i have to take breaks cause of this, prolly gonna pick up a 360 controller someday. i've never had this problem with a 360 controller with their triggers, not sure if it's just me though.

Real triggers help with this. They make using L2/R2 for shooting much more bearable.

xIZmd.jpg

I need to order a new set since my goddamn cat thought they were toys and must have hidden them somewhere just to be a dick.

Hanzou

PS3 through motionjoy works great but I got a wireless 360 pad for Christmas and like it so much more. I find the 360 controller much better as far as triggers and sticks go, plus the button prompts match the controller is nice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I find the 360 pad to be approximately 1 million times better for the genres I use a pad for on PC.

I just wish I could plug the 360 pad into my PS3 too.

Card Boy

Banned
I find the 360 pad to be approximately 1 million times better for the genres I use a pad for on PC.

I just wish I could plug the 360 pad into my PS3 too.

There is an attachment for that.

XCBA_1.jpg

Name of the product is in that picture. There are acouple other adapters aswell if you google. (we probaly need another thread to discuss this stuff)

Chavelo

360 pad on PC is the only reason I left console gaming. Ass Creed, Batman, Alice... basically, if it:s not an FPS or RTS, get a pad.

Fighting stick for fighting games, btw. :3

Lothars

360 pad on PC is the only reason I left console gaming. Ass Creed, Batman, Alice... basically, if it:s not an FPS or RTS, get a pad.

Fighting stick for fighting games, btw. :3
Absolutely, Some Fighting games I can play with a pad but I prefer a Fight Stick

Divinity 2 Dragon knight saga.

Make sure to play the normal campaign first, and make sure you buy the DKS edition.
Combat gets a bit repetitive near the end (as you end up killing thousands (well several hundreds) of enemies in the last bit) but I enjoyed the story and the overall atmosphere a lot.
It also has a really nice color scheme, not witcher 1 godlike color scheme , but better than dragon age, much better.

It also shows that gamebryo games don't have to be buggy, ugly shitty ugly ugly buggy ugly ugly buggy (did I say buggy?) games and that the animations don't have to suck.

Do yourself a favor and don't read reviews of it, they all spoil the plot, all of them.
I went in completely blank and enjoyed it more because of it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lawl at anyone buying real triggers or whatever for the DS3, you realize you can map the 360 triggers to L1/R1?

Yes, but if I'm playing a sandbox game like Just Cause 2 or GTAIV, I would then have to use L1/R1 for driving as well which doesn't feel right to me.

coopolon

Divinity 2 Dragon knight saga.

Make sure to play the normal campaign first, and make sure you buy the DKS edition.
Combat gets a bit repetitive near the end (as you end up killing thousands (well several hundreds) of enemies in the last bit) but I enjoyed the story and the overall atmosphere a lot.
It also has a really nice color scheme, not witcher 1 godlike color scheme , but better than dragon age, much better.

It also shows that gamebryo games don't have to be buggy, ugly shitty ugly ugly buggy ugly ugly buggy (did I say buggy?) games and that the animations don't have to suck.

Do yourself a favor and don't read reviews of it, they all spoil the plot, all of them.
I went in completely blank and enjoyed it more because of it.

Were you able to get aa to work? The game has terrible Maggie's and I wasn't able to get any thing on my ati card to work.

I played some of the Risen demo. Not liking the combat at present. Seems a bit clunky at times, but I may get the hang of it. Will wait for a lower price.

Speevy

Banned
I just want to see if it runs on my Intel 3000 setup.

Skyrim does, but Divinity 2 doesn't.

I've found that games that are tailored more to PCs than consoles have worse framerates on low-end hardware, but this may just be my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom