• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm holding out for my John Kerry 'Nam edition personally.

Thank me later: http://www.kumawar.com/Kerry/screenshots.php

1c9ws.jpg

Aselith

Wow@the privacy responses :).

You getting the chills, man? Big pharma has you locked down because YOU CAN'T MAKE YOUR PLAYED TIME PRIVATE. Probably the CIA and ATF, too. I dunno. I can't see who's watching you but it's everybody ever, I know it. George Washington and Genghis Khan are checking out your Football Manager times from Heaven.

1-D_FTW

Already got Dead Space 2, should I get the first one too?

I haven't gotten around to the 2nd yet, but yes. First game is so good you wonder how it ever got made by EA. Impressions I've gathered is the 2nd game isn't as good. So, yes, definitely play the first. Great, great game.

Teleporter

Dang just got DEAD SPACE 1 / 2 for 12 bucks! Amazing deal!
Should i start playing the first and them after the 2? or theres no relation between them?
Cant wait to put my headphones and shut all lights!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Should i start playing the first and them after the 2? or theres no relation between them?

DS2 is a direct continuation. Tons of references will have little/no meaning if you didn't play the first.

Relax.MX

Nation Red free weekend !! man i want this game...i read a lot of good stuff here in Gaf after i burn my wallet on the steam sales

Play 1 then 2...

MRORANGE

Just played the Dustforce demo and WOW!!!

Basically it's a Super Meat Boy gameplay with VVVVVV Checpoint system with a vector/cavestory visual design.

it supports 360 pad & from the looks of it you can edit the sprite work / png files the game also has a level editor which is extremely easy to use. the demo music is done by robot science :D one of my favourite bandcamp bands.

some screenshots from the demo (click for full size):

http://i.imgur.com/ejdL4.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DnDH6.jpg http://i.imgur.com/idmn7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TJFT1.jpg http://i.imgur.com/97BaG.jpg http://i.imgur.com/jJ9pE.jpg

forgot to add the Demo link for Dustforce

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just to be clear, that's the Dustforce prototype.

They've since made their own engine and things have changed. It should still be good to see if you like the general idea, though.

Exuro

Cool idea, controls feel a little awkward on keyboard and couldn't find how to use the 360 controller. Game also crashes for me on the 1st level but the tutorial gave me good enough of an idea of it. Hopefully they release a demo on their finalized engine. Big fan of Super Meat Boy and this has some resemblance to it so I'm intrigued.

PT Boats any good? I remember being interested in that game when it was first announced, 4 years ago or something like that.

Goddammit. 499 games now.

If it´s the number on your community profile then it most likely isn´t 499 games, but 499 purchases on Steam. Every single item you purchase counts as a game on that page, even if´s only small DLC packages like sprite packs for Europa Universalis or units for the Total War games.

Any good RPGs on Steam you guys could recommend?

RPGs on Steam I own and enjoy:

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Fallout New Vegas
The Witcher (Haven't gotten far. Was a bit boring at first, but it is growing on me.)
Deus Ex (a bit dated, but still enjoyable)
Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII

RPGs on Steam I own and dislike:

The Last Remnant (annoying characters, story, voices... everything)
Dragon Age Origins (combat is so motherfucking boring I can't stand it)
Torchlight (see DAO complaint)

One thing I enjoy is active combat without tons of micromanaging required. I'm also fine with turn based combat.

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Fallout New Vegas
The Witcher (Haven't gotten far. Was a bit boring at first, but it is growing on me.)

One thing I enjoy is active combat without tons of micromanaging required. I'm also fine with turn based combat.

Have you played the original Deus Ex yet? Seems you would like it considering the other RPG that you enjoy.

Have you played the original Deus Ex yet? Seems you would like it considering the other RPG that you enjoy.

Ah I forgot to mention that. Yeah I have it and Deus Ex HR.

I played the original and it was ok. The age of the game is showing though. I got 11 hours into it, but just haven't bothered finishing it because there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

I plan on playing HR in a week or so.

C_H_T

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Fallout New Vegas

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?
Maybe Risen, although i enjoyed the Gothic series (made by Piranha Bytes) more.
Torchlight?

dr_octagon

Banned
Ah I forgot to mention that. Yeah I have it and Deus Ex HR.

I played the original and it was ok. The age of the game is showing though. I got 11 hours into it, but just haven't bothered finishing it because there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

I plan on playing HR in a week or so.
I haven't played the original but HR is awesome.

In case anyone is interested, or wants to argue, I've updated the steam hack thread with an email I got from the legal department (I was trying to find out why emails weren't sent out). Link to thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451667

AColdDay

it makes me sad when people dislike DA:O combat :(

Not to be a dickhead who only chimes in with negative stuff, but I hated the combat in that game as well. I loved the characters and world, but I hated the combat. I tried modding it to make it faster, but despite my efforts I couldn't slog through two attempts at playing through it.

PT Boats any good? I remember being interested in that game when it was first announced, 4 years ago or something like that.

If it´s the number on your community profile then it most likely isn´t 499 games, but 499 purchases on Steam. Every single item you purchase counts as a game on that page, even if´s only small DLC packages like sprite packs for Europa Universalis or units for the Total War games.

Yeah I know. Stop taking my fun away!!!

And I already own secret of the magic crystals...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?
Maybe Risen, although i enjoyed the Gothic series (made by Piranha Bytes) more.
Torchlight?

Waiting for a Skyrim sale.

I'll look into Risen, and the Gothic Series.

I forgot Torchlight was considered an RPG. Combat is boring point + click. I lost interest quickly.

edit: Downloading Risen demo as we speak. I forgot that games on Steam often had demos.

it makes me sad when people dislike DA:O combat :(

Combat moves at a snails pace. Micromanaging is necessary. It feels like most of the battle is spent in pause mode.

NIN90

Mass Effect (1 + 2)
Alpha Protocol
Fallout New Vegas

Definitely Risen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have 77 Steam games, and have used the service for less than a month.

This is the key to Steam's strength as a service. Daily deals, midweek deals, weekend deals, huge sales, and the majority of the catalogue is already below $10 (918 games under $10, 1493 games total). A lot of people complain that a given new release game is insufficiently on sale during the Christmas sale--Where was my Skyrim for $5? Valve has jumped the shark--but if your priority is getting great games for a great price, it's easier to build such a library on Steam than any other platform, PC, or console ever.

You could play nothing but $10 games, and only buy them on 75% off sales (IE $2.50 a game) and you'd still amass a collection far more quickly than you could ever play it.

Fox318

This is the key to Steam's strength as a service. Daily deals, midweek deals, weekend deals, huge sales, and the majority of the catalogue is already below $10 (918 games under $10, 1493 games total). A lot of people complain that a given new release game is insufficiently on sale during the Christmas sale--Where was my Skyrim for $5? Valve has jumped the shark--but if your priority is getting great games for a great price, it's easier to build such a library on Steam than any other platform, PC, or console ever.

You could play nothing but $10 games, and only buy them on 75% off sales (IE $2.50 a game) and you'd still amass a collection far more quickly than you could ever play it.

I would also argue that the diversity of genres has been key to Steams growth. You can get so many indie games on Steam that 10 years ago would have never made it to market in any form :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom