• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm just about ready to get on my knees for a lone survivor key. I already have everything else in the bundle.

edit: Some lovely person gave me it, <3

Milamber

I've been trying to get a Beat Hazard Ultra off SteamGifts for a while now. If not then I at least have the Steam Summer to look forward to.

Sysgen

Ridge Racer is supposed to have really unforgiving AI later on right? Or at least that's what I recall hearing.

That really bugs me about a lot of arcade racers -- the rubberband AI. It was ridiculous in the NFS games where you'd be far ahead of the pack, and you'd look down at the minimap and see the AI cars seemingly teleporting through buildings, moving in a as-the-crow-flies straight line across the map to magically catch up to you. It was also really bad in the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in GRID.

Having 100%'d the game the AI is relatively legit despite what you may have read. There are several modes, one called domination where you need to chain to acquire power so once you have the mechanics down the game is a lot of fun. Most people that rage on this racer including some reviewers "ain't doin it right".

38 Studios declared bankruptcy, they self-publish Amalur on Steam

so if they have lost the publishing rights due to bankruptcy the game will disappear from Steam
Yeah I know that, just last time I checked I heard they wouldn't know what was going on until like August. Maybe whoever said that was full of shit though. Basically I was asking what's the hurry or if he had heard something more recently regarding it.

Joe Molotov

Yeah I know that, just last time I checked I heard they wouldn't know what was going on until like August. Maybe whoever said that was full of shit though. Basically I was asking what's the hurry or if he had heard something more recently regarding it.

They officially declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy this morning (the bad kind of bankruptcy), which means they have to cease all operations immediately and liquidate all assets. I don't know what that means for the and DLC on Steam, maybe they'll stay up until everything's auctioned off, but I'm not taking the chance. At the very least though, it probably means they aren't planning any sweet sales for Steam (although maybe they should).

They officially declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy this morning (the bad kind of bankruptcy), which means they have to cease all operations immediately and liquidate all assets. I don't know what that means for the and DLC on Steam, maybe they'll stay up until everything's auctioned off, but I'm not taking the chance. At the very least though, it probably means they aren't planning any sweet sales for Steam (although maybe they should).
Fuck.

Goddammit. Yeah that's why I was asking why. And it's fucking 60 bucks isn't it.

Goddammit.

jediyoshi

38 Studios declared bankruptcy, they self-publish Amalur on Steam

so if they have lost the publishing rights due to bankruptcy the game will disappear from Steam

Nuts, figured EA did it through Steam as well for some reason. Already had the game, never picked up the DLC. This is a bit terrifying.

HBroward

Fuck.

Goddammit. Yeah that's why I was asking why. And it's fucking 60 bucks isn't it.

Goddammit.

The collection with all the DLC is $80... so hard to jump on with the sale coming and what that money would get then. I've waited so long for a sale on it but I guess that is probably out of the question now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wouldn't be that worried about it. Someone will pick up the rights to Kingdom of Alamur eventually, and it may not even get taken down during the transition. The Ship's developers were dead for months before the rights were bought, but the game never got taken down.

I wouldn't be that worried about it. Someone will pick up the rights to Kingdom of Alamur eventually, and it may not even get taken down during the transition. The Ship's developers were dead for months before the rights were bought, but the game never got taken down.

Also, Tilted Mill Entertainment has been dead since 2009 from what I've read and their titles have stayed on the service.

Last time I worried about games disappearing (EA last year) I bought a bunch of their stuff I wanted to have on Steam, and like a month later it was on sale. Bulletstorm, for example, I bought at $30 and I think it went on sale for $15 a few weeks later, haha. Now that I'm reminded of all of that I think I'll hold off.

Stupid humble bundle question: I have almost all the games, is it possible to give away the keys but keep the soundtracks? That's what I'd really like from buying it.

1-D_FTW

They really should, but who knows.

Since I don't own anything, I'm just rolling the dice on it. If it goes on sale for under 20 dollars, I'll buy it during the summer sale. If not, it wasn't meant to be.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I have to say I really loved what I played of Amalur. It was like a Fabley Skyrim mix with combat that was actually enjoyable and, although repetitive at some point like most open world games, it was great overall. I have the DLCs but have yet to play them. I will eventually though.

First person to post concept art of the Black Velvetopia level in Psychonauts gets a Steam key for LIMBO, Amnesia, Sword & Sworcery, and Psychonauts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dear Curt Schilling,

My net worth is apparently substantially higher than yours at this point. I'm not adverse to giving you a crisp shiny $10 (suitable to buy lunch at a premium establishment like Applebys) in exchange for your interactive entertainment title "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning"

Please let me know.

Thanks,
stump

Falxix

First person to post concept art of the Black Velvetopia level in Psychonauts gets a Steam key for LIMBO, Amnesia, Sword & Sworcery, and Psychonauts.

7qnp5.jpg

Would this do it?

Fox318

Dear Curt Schilling,

My net worth is apparently substantially higher than yours at this point. I'm not adverse to giving you a crisp shiny $10 (suitable to buy lunch at a premium establishment like Applebys) in exchange for your interactive entertainment title "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning"

Please let me know.

Thanks,
stump

You should address that to the RI governor.

Dear Curt Schilling,

Please let me know.

Thanks,
stump

You say that now, wait until you play it for 5 hours. I kind of liked it at first. Then the next four times I literally had to force myself to boot it up and ended up turning it off shortly thereafter.

The problem is that while the combat is solid, everything else is as boring and generic as possible. Hundreds of walls of text fetch quests, the most generic paint by numbers envirnoments and enemies and loot.

Unless you just want something mindless to play while listening to podcast (and even in that case Id recommend Diablo), save your $10 and just download some cool free quests and mods for Oblivion.

I'd say it's definitely worth $10 but I couldn't bring myself to finish it. According to Steam I played it for 38 hours, though, which seems high.

Combat is fun, until you are over powered. Side quests are poorly executed and incredibly boring, main quest stuff is alright. If I could have resisted my urge to clear the map, I probably would have finished it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You should address that to the RI governor.

Dear Governor Lincoln Chafee,

I thought you were a pretty good US senator. It was a total bummer that New England Republicans got squeezed out because the rest of the national party were full of loons. I was really glad that you got a political second act. I understand this 38 Studios business has been kind of a dark shadow over you. I would be willing to offer you $10 as a tax-deductible campaign donation in exchange for a Steam copy of Kingdoms of Amalur.

P.S. Is Rhode Island a real place? I've checked a lot of maps and it doesn't seem to be on any of them.

Yours,
stump

Is anyone else having oddly slow downloads today? I'm trying to install Max Payne 3 and I'm only getting about 800kb/s on average with a few dips down to around 400, as opposed to my usual 2.0mb/s. My connection and download location and whatnot are business as usual, so I'm not sure what's up.

So King Arthur and King Arthur II. Are these RTS? or turn-based? I see decent reviews online for the first one but the second one is much lower. Are they any good?

So King Arthur and King Arthur II. Are these RTS? or turn-based? I see decent reviews online for the first one but the second one is much lower. Are they any good?

They're essentially Total War games, but not as good. They're worth it if you've played the hell out of that series already, but if you haven't I'd strongly suggest grabbing Shogun 2 or Medieval 2 instead.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hmmm, both Europa Universalis III and Hearts of Iron III are on sale this week. Always been curious about them but not sure which one to get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom