• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Do you think Warlock will become a daily Paradox? Also how many days left til the end of Paradox sale?

Alex

Ah, I was hoping the L4D prequel would be true, that's a shame, it doesn't make me popular but that's the Valve game I most want a sequel too, such amazing fun with close friends and I love the humor and narrative trappings even more than Half-Life. It did seem kind of suspect considering the developer, though.

Couldn't get into Magicka, had fun with it until we found this one spell combo that seemed to wreck the screen every time. Felt a little... needing of some more meat as well, like it should have had loot or more configuration or SOMETHING, I dont know.

zkylon

zkylewd
But horrible execution.
Horrible is a huge stretch. Payday's biggest flaw is being overly competent and serviceable, as opposed to having cool and exciting or impressive stuff (like some of L4D's level designs and characters, how weapons feel overall, being able to play as the special infected, etc.). Other than that, it's a great game, that should be cheaper because the community is almost completely dead or unbalanced.

XeroSauce

Played Far Cry 2 last night.

It's pretty. I like the atmosphere. VA is godawful. Guns are pretty where they should be.

Only an hour in. What am I missing? Does the game just get progressively worse?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Horrible is a huge stretch. Payday's biggest flaw is being overly competent and serviceable, as opposed to having cool and exciting or impressive stuff (like some of L4D's level designs and characters, how weapons feel overall, being able to play as the special infected, etc.). Other than that, it's a great game, that should be cheaper because the community is almost completely dead or unbalanced.

Cop spam isn't fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
Cop spam isn't fun.
Depends on the map. Level design is not Valve-level, but most maps are great if you have a semi-decent team, and I only have problems with open maps like the bridge and the one you chase the guy in the van, because I don't think the game lends itself as well to open spaces.

I don't think it's perfect, but horrible?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Depends on the map. Level design is not Valve-level, but most maps are great if you have a semi-decent team, and I only have problems with open maps like the bridge and the one you chase the guy in the van, because I don't think the game lends itself as well to open spaces.

I don't think it's perfect, but horrible?

Bland map design, poor enemy AI, enemy spam to cover it up, being seriously gimped at a low level, weapons that feel like pellet guns, and objectives that take way too long in an effort to make the levels take longer.

zkylon

zkylewd
Bland map design, poor enemy AI, enemy spam to cover it up, being seriously gimped at a low level, weapons that feel like pellet guns, and objectives that take way too long in an effort to make the levels take longer.
I'm not denying the game has problems, but the game's bigger than its issues and it usually is a lot of fun, specially if you're playing with a half decent people that use voice chat and stuff. I'm barely level 30 I think, so I'm no recurrent player, but I can always count on playing a random match every now and then and finding it entertaining.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm not denying the game has problems, but the game's bigger than its issues and it usually is a lot of fun, specially if you're playing with a half decent people that use voice chat and stuff. I'm barely level 30 I think, so I'm no recurrent player, but I can always count on playing a random match every now and then and finding it entertaining.

I just played with the same 3 friends I always play with and pumped 300 hours into each L4D with. We coordinate really well, but as a starting experience 1-10 I found it a drab tedious experience. And these are the type of friends that can make damn near any game fun in co-op.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I had a couple runs in Payday and I was like "Why am I running out of ammo so much? There are 200 slugs and 4 shotguns on the floor, why can't I pick one up?"

Nothing was really explained even though there is obviously a fuck ton of features and things to go for. The menus are weird, too. Not in visual design, as they are quite cool, but the way you interact with them.

MRORANGE

I had a couple runs in Payday and I was like "Why am I running out of ammo so much? There are 200 slugs and 4 shotguns on the floor, why can't I pick one up?"

Nothing was really explained even though there is obviously a fuck ton of features and things to go for. The menus are weird, too. Not in visual design, as they are quite cool, but the way you interact with them.

enemies drop mini ammo packs, but the game makes you focused on being conservative with your shooting, I would mostly use my pistol in most cases and and my main weapons when being flanked by swats.

Maps are are pretty well laid out imo, especially the diamond Heist, we could pretty much co-ordinate attacks anywhere on the level, which made it fun. Enmey AI get better if rank up to overkill, it's insane on how quick you can get taken down. Guns felt fine to me and loved the recoil and that weapons swayed slightly.

I think the last point is your only real complaint you can make,; about objectives taking way too long, ideally I wished they added further activities to carry out while robbing/doing heists.

zkylon

zkylewd

Ammo conservation is one of the main points of the game, you need people on your team to lay out ammo bag for the entire team, and you need to conserve your main gun ammo and scavenge off corpses as much as you can. I think it's one of the best things of the game. Stallion does have a point, in that the game is pretty unfair against new players by not giving you a secondary weapon right from the start. It only takes a few matches to get one, though.

I think the last point is your only real complaint you can make,; about objectives taking way too long, ideally I wished they added further activities to carry out while robbing/doing heists.
Yeah, I too wish the game had more interesting objectives since it's usually going to some place, then defend, then move again. I think erasing the security video in the First World Bank is the type of objectives new maps should emphasize, secondary things you can do to aid your efforts and that force you to split your group. I wish there were more bank heists, there's something just so instantly cool about robbing a bank that doesn't compare to the other maps, even if Diamond Heist is amazing in that it can be beat with just stealth (I never did it myself, but I got far unnoticed).

I usually play the game on Hard and the AI is for the most part fine, sometimes they do pretty dumb things, but the police on a whole is a very deadly opposing force and those Tazer guys are scary as fuck.

I just had to share this with my Steam/PC brethren.

I was loading up Crysis for my son to play for the first time, and I was getting the controller ready for him and he said to me "Is there any way I can use keyboard and mouse instead?"

Made my day. :)

I was loading up Crysis for my son to play for the first time, and I was getting the controller ready for him and he said to me "Is there any way I can use keyboard and mouse instead?"

Feel good story of the day :')

Iztli

tumblrm4e7i0zr541qll9d0.jpg

you should go and buy him the best kb/m set you can possibly find as a reward for being awesome.

He's a real man now. Congrats.

Nabs

The feel good story of the day.

MRORANGE

Y5JCt.png

There is still hope for the younger generation.

zkylon

zkylewd

Parenthood done right. You should be proud!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Putting old PS2 games into storage and I found a few that I thought "Hmm, I kinda want to replay this... maybe I'll pick up Steam versions when the summer sale rolls around";

Second Sight -> $4.99 regular. Excellent

XIII -> Not on Steam. WTF? Really?

24 The Game -> Okay maybe I don't actually want to replay this.

MRORANGE

Putting old PS2 games into storage and I found a few that I thought "Hmm, I kinda want to replay this... maybe I'll pick up Steam versions when the summer sale rolls around";

Second Sight -> $4.99 regular. Excellent

XIII -> Not on Steam. WTF? Really?

24 The Game -> Okay maybe I don't actually want to replay this.

considering Steam supports Grid Art you could rip your games and do this:

I'm very much enjoying being able to setup the shortcuts easily with Steam by adding the game to the command line.

IE:
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCSX2 0.9.8\pcsx2-r4600.exe" "C:\Users\USER\Documents\PCSX2\Games\GameImage.iso"

I also made copies of the emulator's EXE so I could have custom icons for each. (I used the program Resource Hacker to edit the icon files.)

L87_FF12.jpg

L87_KH2FM.jpg

Both running at 60FPS avg. on i7 920, and GTX 470 card, btw.

So each game loads their own individual DLLs (thus not needing to constantly changing settings when loading different games), do the following:

A relatively easy way to make individual config settings for each game is to make multiple copies of the main emulator folder (likely in the Program Files folder), and add a blank file called "portable.ini" in its main directory.

This will place it into portable mode, which will then create an ini folder within that same directory (rather than in your My Documents) when you start the emulator, which will be what the EXE file in that folder will be linked to. So in practice one could do that for every game, then just load the proper EXE using a frontend (like Steam) with the game attached to the command line (if using ISOs).

Naturally at that point you could still point your memcard and save state directories in Portable version back to your main one in your Documents, and then just copy the portable version from then on, and make the necessary adjustments (which won't be as much work as the first time). That way all the games save onto the same memcard.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
XIII is on GoG if you want to go that route. Pretty underrated game, too!

I didn't even think to check GOG. Man, thanks, I really appreciate it. It is a good game and I have fond memories of playing it for the first time with my girlfriend near the beginning of our relationship--holy shit it's been a long time--holy shit I'm a loser for getting sentimental about this.

considering Steam supports Grid Art you could rip your games and do this:

I made a sort of conscious decision that in terms of emulation quality versus disc space versus physical space the stuff takes up, everything pre-PS2 is getting ripped and emulation, and everything PS2-or-later isn't emulated well enough for me to bother. But the next time I upgrade my PC and with another year or two of PCSX2 iterating, I'll probably be ready to let go of this stuff too hahaha.

I didn't even think to check GOG. Man, thanks, I really appreciate it. It is a good game and I have fond memories of playing it for the first time with my girlfriend near the beginning of our relationship--holy shit it's been a long time--holy shit I'm a loser for getting sentimental about this..

I'm not sure if you're aware of it but there is a sequel to XIII called XIII: Lost Identity. It's an adventure game and I have no idea if it's any good.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/15236/xiii-lost-identity/index.html

It's also available on the Appstore and I think for Android devices as well.

There was a tv show too!? I had no clue.

Fake edit: yeah according to imdb there was the 2 episode miniseries/made for tv movie like 4 years ago (that's what I remember) and then last year was an actual tv show (that i've never heard of).

Geez, that franchise has really been whored out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom