• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People are trying to pimp this over Saint's Row 4?

9413853322_b4e0ca2b59_o.gif

Volcynika

I wonder if XSEED/Nihon have any plans to port the newest Ys game, Memories of Celceta, from Vita to PC.

At this point you just should hope for a Chinese licensed port to be made then somehow localized and brought to Steam. Because Falcom didn't even handle the recent Ys 7 port at all.

9413853322_b4e0ca2b59_o.gif

Just as Saints Row 3 wasn't accurately portrayed with the zombie dildo trailers, neither is The Bureau in the above link. Have to sell games outside of the core, and stupid marketing is often required to do so. Personally, I'm extremely excited for both games and have no doubt they'll both be excellent. I'm not really sure why they're being compared to directly though when they're both so radically different from each other.

Cth

Which one has the purple dildo weapon?

Yeah, sign me up for the other one :D

/owns SR 3, it's good
//have more history with X-Com and like to see developers try new things with franchises
///SR has it's funny moments, but I like the X-Com universe more personally

drizzle

Axel Hertz

That really is the worst goddamn trailer, jesus fuck.

I already didn't care for Declassified XCom, but damn...

Just as Saints Row 3 wasn't accurately portrayed with the zombie dildo trailers, neither is The Bureau in the above link. Have to sell games outside of the core, and stupid marketing is often required to do so. Personally, I'm extremely excited for both games and have no doubt they'll both be excellent. I'm not really sure why they're being compared to directly though when they're both so radically different from each other.

Because
stupid
people asked if they should buy one or the other.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea a game 7 years in development, stopped and restarted 3 times and had like 4 lead designers leave the company over it, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder why Valve hasn't jumped on the subscription service for free games bandwagon that is heating up between Microsoft (Xbox Live) and Sony (Playstation Plus).

I actually think it'd be pretty cool to have a $8-$10 a month subscription service that included several new free games every month and discounts on stuff that non-members don't get. I'm sure they could think up some other cool perks with their community stuff (exclusive profile backgrounds?).

Anyway, call me crazy but I'd buy it.

catabarez

I wonder why Valve hasn't jumped on the subscription service for free games bandwagon that is heating up between Microsoft (Xbox Live) and Sony (Playstation Plus).

I actually think it'd be pretty cool to have a $8-$10 a month subscription service that included several new free games every month and discounts on stuff that non-members don't get. I'm sure they could think up some other cool perks with their community stuff (exclusive profile backgrounds?).

No jshack. Stahp.

Volcynika

Already got a few problems with that to begin with. Not every PC is the same. So something like "free games" is then going to be dependant on "well I can't play this game at all, this is useless." And what about Mac users when there are only PC games free? Yeah, not gonna work.

This is something not to encourage.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No jshack. Stahp.

To be clear - I'm not advocating that they go the Microsoft/Sony route and require this service for online play or anything besides additional stuff. I don't want people to have to pay for anything they're already getting now.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Because TF2 and Dota 2 are already free and Valve is making way more money than 8 dollars per user with Cosmetic DLC for those games and market transactions for said items.

So what you're talking about already exist, just in another way.

jshackles

Because TF2 and Dota 2 are already free and Valve is making way more money than 8 dollars per user with Cosmetic DLC for those games and market transactions for said items.

So what you're talking about already exist, just in another way.

True. I guess I was just looking at my PS+ subscription and thinking "Damn, I wish I could buy Duck Tales for the PS+ discounted rate but get it on Steam."

I guess we have cards and I can idle enough games to make enough money to get a similar discount so it's all good. Just an idea though.

at least we can all agree the real game this month is Spelunky
I was just under the assumption that everyone was arguing for second place; Spelunky is king.

And the answer to second is naturally Project Diva F. Get your priorities straight people, gun bangin' ain't everything!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
True. I guess I was just looking at my PS+ subscription and thinking "Damn, I wish I could buy Duck Tales for the PS+ discounted rate but get it on Steam."

I guess we have cards and I can idle enough games to make enough money to get a similar discount so it's all good. Just an idea though.

Well, I mean it already exists for them. They don't need to provide 10-15% discount so users pay 8-10 dollars a month. That deal only works because Sony, technically, gets more money from people paying the monthly fee than it loses by reducing their profit margins for those that DO buy the game at the discounted prices.

Valve already gets more than "8 dollars minus profit reduction from those purchased games" from the in-game stores of their Free games, plus all the market fees.

If you want the equivalent of the "PSN+ Discount" on Valve, I guess there's different region markets for us to take advantage of.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

That's what Steam actually is. Every time they put a game on sale that you "gotta have" but buy and never play, you're basically paying a subscription fee to Valve. Or even that requisite $50-75 you spend during holiday and summer sales on cheap indie games or old retail titles just to prune the wishlist. In return, when you do eventually want to play games, you have a library of hundreds you paid subscription fees towards. :p

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
question on cards, how do you get the rest of them? the first few are random right?

You get half of the cards rounded up as drops, then the rest either by trading duplicates/cards from other games you don't want or by purchasing them on the community market. Card drops you get are random, yes, and you may receive duplicates because of this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Saints Row 3 had less content than 2. For a sequel, that's unacceptable.

That extra content might as well not exist in SR2 due to it being boring as hell and tedious. The fact that they forced you to do it to raise your face level to play the next story mission was incredibly offensive.

DukeBobby

That extra content might as well not exist in SR2 due to it being boring as hell and tedious. The fact that they forced you to do it to raise your face level to play the next story mission was incredibly offensive.

That's far better than introducing activities as main missions.

Less side activities, less customization, shorter main story. Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's far better than introducing activities as main missions.

Less side activities, less customization, shorter main story. Pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

I will take quality over quantity every time. Co-op was better in 3 and everything was more entertaining in 3.

I didn't have to beg my co-op partner to start the game up with 3, but I certainly did with 2.

DukeBobby

I will take quality over quantity every time. Co-op was better in 3 and everything was more entertaining in 3.

I didn't have to beg my co-op partner to start the game up with 3, but I certainly did with 2.

I'm strictly talking about single player. Co-op wise, yeah, it may be better, but I have very little interest in it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't even know much about XCOM Declassified but that trailer is clearly a tongue-in-cheek side thing making fun of how you're not supposed to play it, and it's not how they're primarily promoting the game. There's a serious video on the Steam page.

What the fuck. I was playing some Half Minute Hero, and decided to play Princess 30 mode since that was one of my favorite modes in the PSP version. The controls for the crossbow are SZXC. Look at a standard keyboard for a second. S does not fire up, Z does not fire left, X does not fire down, and C does not fire right. It's basically unplayable like this. You can remap controls but only for the whole game, and not just for one section. Also disappointed that Evil Lord, Princess, and Knight modes only have one level each with the new graphics. I mean I'm glad they included them after cutting them from the 360 version, but still it kind of sucks. They also don't play like they normally do, they're all Hero 30 style levels. I'm glad I got this on sale instead of paying $10 for it.

Sober

Ladies, please!

They're both terrible games.
Hahah, Splinter Cell is so far out of everyone's minds that no one notices it will bomba out of nowhere alongside The Bureau on the same day.

Let's see, SR4 and TB:XCOM is still in the top 10 best sellers. Splinter Cell has dropped from #39 just the other day (when I was making a point in another thread) to #67.

The Bureau isn't even finished pre-order unlock #2 yet either. I think three people bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Steam.

The Bureau will be interesting, SR4 will have enough new content to justify it's existence, and I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome with Splinter Cell to make a proper judgement, but will bomba but maybe sell well (if it was in fact, actually good) from word-of-mouth after Ubi abandons the franchise due to poor sales and will reboot it as a proper COD clone in 2016.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hahah, Splinter Cell is so far out of everyone's minds that no one notices it will bomba out of nowhere alongside The Bureau on the same day.

Let's see, SR4 and TB:XCOM is still in the top 10 best sellers. Splinter Cell has dropped from #39 just the other day (when I was making a point in another thread) to #67.

The Bureau isn't even finished pre-order unlock #2 yet either. I think three people bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Steam.

The Bureau will be interesting, SR4 will have enough new content to justify it's existence, and I'm suffering from Stockholm Syndrome with Splinter Cell to make a proper judgement, but will bomba but maybe sell well (if it was in fact, actually good) from word-of-mouth after Ubi abandons the franchise due to poor sales and will reboot it as a proper COD clone in 2016.

I'm considering Splinter Cell as it has pre-purchase DLC and Ubi has a tendency to not release its pre-purchase incentives separately (see: Rayman 2 and Blood Dragon's OST). That said, there's the distinct possibility that said DLC will be a Uplay unlockable as it's in-game content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom