• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

Does Natural Selection 2 have a big enough community that newbies can ease into the game? I'm considering getting it but the last thing I need is another virtually dead or insular multiplayer game.

Grief.exe

Cards would be a good way to reinvigorate interest in the game.

And a good way to generate a bit of extra revenue to cover the costs of the patch.

Does Natural Selection 2 have a big enough community that newbies can ease into the game? I'm considering getting it but the last thing I need is another virtually dead or insular multiplayer game.

Yes. the community is amazing as well.

Everytime I have played I let the commander know I was new to the game, and they helped me accordingly.

Momentary

Banned
I can check Steam keys on the client without having to worry about them being disabled or something stupid if they've never been used, correct?

Edit: I think i gives me the same message even if it hasn't been in use. Damn I wish there was a way to check all these keys. I don't want to give ones away that I've already used. The ones I got through e-mailing myself from the inventory work just fine, but the ones that I have multiples of in bundles... I just don't know. I think I might have a way of getting it right, but I feel like I might screw some people over.

Omega

Banned

I wouldn't say it has a big community. IIRC it only gets 1000 players

but the game does allow newbies to get into the game. Community is very friendly and are willing to help you learn + there's servers made specifically for new players

I can check Steam keys on the client without having to worry about them being disabled or something stupid if they've never been used, correct?

Edit: I think i gives me the same message even if it hasn't been in use. Damn I wish there was a way to check all these keys. I don't want to give ones away that I've already used. The ones I got through e-mailing myself from the inventory work just fine, but the ones that I have multiples of in bundles... I just don't know. I think I might have a way of getting it right, but I feel like I might screw some people over.

There's no way to check. Just give them away with a disclaimer that they might be used, no worries.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yes, you'll just get the "Product already owned" error when trying to redeem it... unless the key pertains to a game you don't own, in which case you might want to avoid trying to activate it. ;)

Edit: I assumed by "check" you meant "ascertain the validity of".

There's no way to check. Just give them away with a disclaimer that they might be used, no worries.

There is, sort of:

Steam -> Change user -> Retrieve account info -> I don't know my account name -> I remember the product code I used

Unlike the product code activation form, however, this form doesn't validate the key (even typing in gibberish results in the "An e-mail has been sent ..." screen), so you'll need to check your inbox each and every time [you] input a code; if you don't get an e-mail, then it hasn't been activated.

As I've said in the past, Valve should prioritise the "duplicate product code" error message over "product already owned", as this would make it very easy to see if a key has been used, regardless of the account it may or may not be tied to.

mileS

Finally getting around to trying out Sonic All-Stars Racing since I got it during the summer sale. Good lord this game is fantastic. I hope the Sonic name didn't scare many people off. This is pure joy.

KarmaCow

I wouldn't say it has a big community. IIRC it only gets 1000 players

but the game does allow newbies to get into the game. Community is very friendly and are willing to help you learn + there's servers made specifically for new players

Yes. the community is amazing as well.

Everytime I have played I let the commander know I was new to the game, and they helped me accordingly.
Alright that's good to hear, I wish I could try it out again before buying but I'm no where near my computer for the next half week.

Bouniter

Hello all
This is my first post on Gaf after lurking for a little while, so i thought why not start things the right (givea)way. (Sorry)

As this is obviously my first Time using ModBot my appolgies if anything goes (or has already gone) wrong, however it was much simpler than i thought it would be so heres to it all going smoothly

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Warlock -- MB-66C409121BDB48C4 - Taken by FloatingDivider
Lucid -- MB-A5033719EC55B455 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Walking Mars -- MB-F3696FD91EA1959A - Taken by Jawmuncher
Judge Dredd vs Death -- MB-5AB6BE5C9012D173 - Taken by fantomena
Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery -- MB-1A36BE7311C3A0E4 - Taken by Ogedai_Khan
Walking Mars #2 -- MB-A28224747652889F - Taken by Darkroronoa
Europa Universalis 3 -- MB-0243EB691777CC44 - Taken by greendomo's ghost
Gatling Gears -- MB-2189B1C7CD84AA2E - Taken by derExperte

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, quick Aliens: Colonial Marines impressions. I finished the first two story missions on the third of four difficulties. My number one quick take is that, of all games, this feels a little bit like Duke Nukem Forever in the way that it's kind of dated and ugly at parts, good looking at other parts, and doesn't really feel much like a finished, polished game.

Some positive parts:
- I guess if you like the Alien franchise, there's lots of stuff. The game has audio logs which have nothing to do with the game you're actually playing but relate to the franchise as a whole. The game's dialogue assumes you're a fan of the franchise. It doesn't really spend any time explaining to you when references are supposed to be references versus when they're just in-game stuff. By contrast, if you've never seen the films (and you should correct this!) I think you'd be a little lost.
- Shotguns feel decent when you blast someone
- There are little micro-challenges to complete as you move through the game that encourage you to change up gameplay styles. They give experience, along with shooting enemies, to help you level up which unlocks weapon modifications which range from cosmetic to gameplay-altering.
- Performance is fine.

I'm neutral about:
- The score is nice and big but often times WAY too big for what's going on. I don't need epic God Save The Queen stuff going on when i'm just slowly walking through a corridor and shooting dudes every so often.
- Four studios made this what the hell
- When I first booted the game it opened a non-Steam dependency installer which wanted me to agree to a EULA, but before I could the game launched leaving the installer in the background ???

Some negative parts:
- When you are fighting xenomorphs, there is virtually no feedback. Shooting them doesn't slow them down or stun them. They all come towards you. They jump at you. Once they get near you your health depletes despite no real on-screen feedback that you are being attacked. And you get very little feedback that you are being hurt as well. I assume this relates to their acid blood, but I felt like I didn't really know why I was being hurt. Xenomorphs should be shotgunned because shotguns OHKO them, human enemies should be shot with a pulse rifle. Most deaths will be pretty near instant if you play on the difficulty level I'm playing on. You slip up, a xenomorph gets near, dead.
- While there are some flanking segments, mostly the game is move forward through a linear environment slowly, clearing enemies before moving on.
- There are a bunch of weapons but mostly it doesn't seem like there's much reason to go beyond one burst weapon and one shutgun. You have a sidearm which you'd literally never use. You can unlock movie-themed "legendary weapons", they seem pretty standard to me. Oddly enough the game has separate ammo for each type of shotgun and each type of assault rifle.
- Checkpointing is terrible.
- Grenades don't seem super effective.
- Health is segmented regenerating health, which is a worst of both worlds. It encourages cautious duckwalking and waiting every time you're hurt so the segment regens, but it also results in situations where you get seriously hurt and need to wait 3 or 4 combat segments to get the game to throw you a health pack. The game has a weird dynamic ammo/health drop system where it attempts to figure out what you need or deserve to get--so if you have full health, you'll never see a health kit but if you have low health you might see two at a particular level juncture.
- Dumb dialogue, dumb characters. Note that I'm specially sensitive to stupid nonsense so part of this is my fault.
- The game is dark as hell. I have my gamma on max and it's still difficult to see. You can toggle a flashlight but it doesn't help much. And I don't find the darkness adds to the atmosphere. Also turn off film grain, which adds nothing visually but just makes your screenshots look dumb.
- Dumb Call of Duty doors where you need to wait for the idiot you're with to open them for no real reason, generally combined with a wave of enemies attacking so you have to defend the teammate while he's opening the door
- Partner AI has thrice walked in front of me while I was grenade launchering. While there's no friendly fire to speak of, the grenade blows up in my face and seriously injures me.
- You kill 99999999 dudes every level which is fine but Xenomorphs are way less scary when you fight 30 per checkpoint
- Dumb little facehugger enemies. Earth to game developers: we don't want to fight rats, birds, insects, or any other enemy that has low health and whose sole purpose is to be hard to shoot, creep up to you, and trigger an annoying "get this shit off me" QTE. This is not enjoyable. It does not make combat deeper or more varied. No one wants to be annoyed, we want to be challenged.

The_Monk

Welcome fellow GAFfer Bouniter to Steam-GAF and GAF overall, have fun this fine and amazing Community.

Anything else we can help with, please let us know!

derExperte

Hello all
This is my first post on Gaf after lurking for a little while, so i thought why not start things the right (givea)way. (Sorry)

As this is obviously my first Time using ModBot my appolgies if anything goes (or has already gone) wrong, however it was much simpler than i thought it would be so heres to it all going smoothly

Grabbed Gatling Gears, thaaank youu!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks for Lucid. It's the only game on the list I didn't own despite tons of indie bundles with it. I'd be lying if I said I was super pumped for it, but I'll give it a go sometime soon. Thanks :)

Thanks for Judge, Bouniter!

You're in for a turd. Hahaha. At least it's short.

Turfster

So, quick Aliens: Colonial Marines impressions. I finished the first two story missions on the third of four difficulties. My number one quick take is that, of all games, this feels a little bit like Duke Nukem Forever in the way that it's kind of dated and ugly at parts, good looking at other parts, and doesn't really feel much like a finished, polished game.

DNF was, god help me, a better game.
Also, did that first alien clip you through the level geometry too?
Another fun thing is to hop on a box. Half the time, the xenos lose you and just stand there dancing as the pathfinding can't get to you.

The worst thing about Aliens: Colonial Marines is it features the most offensively stupid and awful retcon ever used in any medium. Don't want to start a discussion over whether Aliens 3 is a good film or not but the way CM chooses to handle the retcon of its plot is abhorrent and features some of the worst writing and plot holes in the medium which says quite a lot.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hello all

Welcome to the machine! Hope you feel comfortable here, and thanks a lot for the giveaway man. Way to start classy ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DNF was, god help me, a better game.
Also, did that first alien clip you through the level geometry too?
Another fun thing is to hop on a box. Half the time, the xenos lose you and just stand there dancing as the pathfinding can't get to you.

I've had a bunch of wall geometry clipping issues and up-close clipping issues with xenomorphs. Also I grenaded a xenomorph who was I guess under the grating I was walking on and his corpse clipped up through the floor.

Jawmuncher

Hello all

Thanks for Walking Mars!
Also welcome to the thread, its better whe. You don't have to lurk.

Darkroronoa

Hello all

Thanks for walking mars Bouniter :D

kami_sama

My first Giveaway! MotN should be available, but I'm not sure 100%.
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-28A98066CC38B6BD - Taken by Stumpokapow
Europa Universalis 3 Complete -- MB-F0842B4A548EB5A1 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
War of the Roses: Kingmaker -- MB-6D7B0ADE1DEFCFFB - Taken by ricochetguro

Grief.exe

The 10th copy of Mark of the Ninja given away and finally I win!!!!! HAHAHAHA YES! Thanks kami_sama!!!

Someone probably didn't read the OP, this is how you are supposed to properly set up a modbot giveaway

Putting it all together
PM to ModBot, title: register some awesome games
Body:
Bad Rats - ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Age of Empires - MNOP-QRST-UVWX
RECEIPT
NOWINNERSWEEKLY
ANONYMOUS
BLOCK Stumpokapow

Come on guys, pull it together!

Bouniter

Your all more than welcome hope you enjoy them and thank you guys for all the kind welcomes.

Still on the note of giveaways I do still have a mirrors edge steam key to give away and was thinking of doing it with a challenge (as its one of my absolute favorites of this generation). Something Kerbal space program demo related. Do you guys think this is a good idea or shall i just be boring and drop it in to ModBot?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Your all more than welcome hope you enjoy them and thank you guys for all the kind welcomes.

Still on the note of giveaways I do still have a mirrors edge steam key to give away and was thinking of doing it with a challenge (as its one of my absolute favorites of this generation). Something Kerbal space program demo related. Do you guys think this is a good idea or shall i just be boring and drop it in to ModBot?

Challenges are totally welcome, don't feel pressured to use Modbot because lazy people like me would rather win by sending a PM than by actually achieving something!

Did it work? It is a leftover copy from the MS indie pack from amazon from last January.

Yep, worked :D

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

You should choose a city somewhere in the world, trace a route through some rooftops and see who can run across it in the shortest time. The winner then gets to become a parkour master, while the loser should get the game because they definitely need some proper training.

Disappointing that Miasmata hasn't been patched, guess I'll hold tight for an indie bundle on that one.

Watched the first minute of a video review and I know it's for me just from the one sentence breakdown. I love stuff like that.

Jawmuncher

All depends. It's your steam key after all and you can hand it out however. The only thing id put into consideration is that because of the humble bundle it might not have a lot of participants fighting over it.

Bouniter

The Challenge: Using the Kerbal Space Program Demo the first person to plant a flag on the Mun (the moon equivalent of the Kerban system) Naming it "The Shard" and posting the screen-shot here Wins.

The Prize: A steam key for Mirrors edge

Good luck to all!

I Shall PM the key to the winner

(if no one goes for it i shall just modbot it (to anyone) so fire up those engines)

Vibranium

Banned
Disappointing that Miasmata hasn't been patched, guess I'll hold tight for an indie bundle on that one.

Watched the first minute of a video review and I know it's for me just from the one sentence breakdown. I love stuff like that.

It's sad, I'm really interested in the game, but the fact the devs have dropped off the map to instead develop their new game is really disappointing and is preventing me from picking it up. They could at least hire someone to put out patches for them...

Grief.exe

It's sad, I'm really interested in the game, but the fact the devs have dropped off the map to instead develop their new game is really disappointing and is preventing me from picking it up. They could at least hire someone to put out patches for them...

Bringing another group up to speed would be essentially impossible.

Either something bad happened, or it was no longer economically viable for them to continue supporting their game and moved onto a new one.

I'm not advocating the latter as a viable excuse, its just a reality of the business and a 2 man development team.

To my knowledge, there aren't any game breaking bugs. Just minor performance issues and achievements not working 100%

Coldsnap

Any way to manage your steam cloud? I have like 200 witcher 2 save files and it crashes my steam every time I try to load game. I need to delete most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom