• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio

Jase, your new Sharsha avatar is very creepy :/

image.php

Sorry, I had to.

Seagoon

This is pretty good, the petition posts I made on Reddit are all actually doing very well.

Claiming the 2nd spot in top posts on r/Steam and r/PcGaming
5th on r/pcmasterrace
21st on r/gaming

I'm surprised we even made the front page on r/gaming, generally console warriors will vote anything PC-related and not an imgur link down.

More upvotes would be appreciated to keep the Sega petition going strong, close to 1000 signatures.

r/Steam

r/PCGaming

r/pcmasterrace

r/Gaming

Isn't soliciting upvotes on Reddit a bannable offence? I only mention it as I got warned by a Twitter user when the first Reddit posts were made about Sega ports and I encouraged others to upvote via Twitter.

Anteater

Played bayo for like a hundred hours on the ps3 on a terrible tv.

I hope I could play the game at least once at 60fps before I fucking die.

Grief.exe

Isn't soliciting upvotes on Reddit a bannable offence? I only mention it as I got warned by a Twitter user when the first Reddit posts were made about Sega ports and I encouraged others to upvote via Twitter.

Don't think so, I've had several mods participate in the past #SegaPCPorts Twitter campaign and did not hear anything negative towards getting upvotes, retweets, etc.

Stump and other mods are fairly active in this thread as well, I'm sure one of them would have let me know to kindly quit.

I would argue that this is a good cause, its not like I made some Borderlands 2 meme post and asking you guys to upvote.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't think so, I've had several mods participate in the past #SegaPCPorts Twitter campaign and did not hear anything negative towards getting upvotes, retweets, etc.

Stump and other mods are fairly active in this thread as well, I'm sure one of them would have let me know to kindly quit.

I think he means in reddit tho

Seagoon

I would argue that this is a good cause, its not like I made some Borderlands 2 meme post and asking you guys to upvote.

Oops I mean bannable on Reddit, not on GAF.

Grief.exe

Ok then.

Well I would argue that this whole campaign is seeded in grass roots support. Linking people to Reddit threads for discussion helps get this off the ground.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A thought just crossed my mind

...Have you tried e-mailing people? Maybe no one's even aware that the game isn't on Steam anymore :|

I haven't and I'll readily admit that the thought didn't occur to me because I have the game (and DLC) already. I'll fire off an e-mail to Crytek later and will be sure to post any response that I rec--ahahahaha, who am I kidding, I'll just be ignored. But I'll try nonetheless.

Edit: How I got "Crytek" from "Ubi" is a mystery for the ages
(because it's 4:30am)
. I think it's safe to say that Ubi has no interest in releasing Rayman 2 on Steam beyond its current scope as MRORANGE semi-recently managed to get Valve to get Ubi to provide a Grid View image and yet the game is still a no-show.

Grief.exe

Valkyria Chronicles not being highlighted in that petition is some bullshit! I signed it anyways.

It actually is there, though not as visible as some of us would want it

Among those many other requests, outside of the suggested three, special consideration should be paid to the widely requested Valkyria Chronicles, as a PS3 exclusive it's been excluded under factors 2 and 3. Despite the potential for a more expensive and involved porting effort, the PC has a strong history (one which you've had a significant hand in) of strategy titles and we feel Valkyria Chronicles is a natural compliment to your other, strategic, offerings on the PC platform.

My thoughts:

I actually believe that Valkyria Chronicles would have been one of the most successful games on that list if brought to Steam. I will concede, though, that the process to that port would be fraught with obstacles. Exclusive to the PS3 with its convoluted cell architecture, game is considered very niche within Sega, studio has no experience with such ports.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Picked The Bureau for a whopping $2.48 thanks to stacked Amazon credits. I hope it's worthy of my investment :)
I think it's worth that price. It's not very well balanced on the harder difficulties but it's a pretty fun spin on the Mass Effect TPS concept on the lower difficulties where the team mate AI can't single-handedly ruin all your hard work in a matter of seconds. The art is gorgeous too and I love the time period/attention to detail.

Knurek

My thoughts:
I actually believe that Valkyria Chronicles would have been one of the most successful games on that list if brought to Steam. I will concede, though, that the process to that port would be fraught with obstacles. Exclusive to the PS3 with its convoluted cell architecture, game is considered very niche within Sega, studio has no experience with such ports.

Well, it's not like games today aren't being written in C++(C#?), which is pretty portable.

Grief.exe

Got some juicy Treasure information.

Also, on ports, Treasure posted a message on their blog about 12 hours ago saying that Famitsu will be doing an aticle on their Steam port of Ikaruga, and the game will be released "soon". Soon is still rather vauge, but it's nice to see an update on this games release.

Well, it's not like games today aren't being written in C++(C#?), which is pretty portable.

The difficulty is making that code work with the hardware in a consumer environment that is variable as the PC platform.

Knurek

The difficulty is making that code work with the hardware in a consumer environment that is variable as the PC platform.

Counterpoint: Nixxes, QLoc and whatever other porting studios that exist.

Heck, give this game to Sumo Digital, they handled crazy Outrun 2 codebase just fine.

From the Paradox event

#pdxcon @TheWesterFront says EU4 is comfortably played on Steam controller

from the same person: Watching EU4 being played on a steambox with the steam controller. I am a believer!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Counterpoint: Nixxes, QLoc and whatever other porting studios that exist.

The rumour that the PS4 version of Tomb Raider: Separate App Edition averages 60fps has me curious about the strides AMD has made with TressFX. I can't help but get the feeling that Nvidia GPUs are going to get the short end of the stick again, though -- even Nixxes' best efforts can't wash away the effects of politics.

Divius

Has anyone here finished Shelter? Is it any good/how long is the game?

I played the first mission/part/area and thought it was quite adorable.

Grief.exe

Its short and doesn't overstay its welcome.
art style is cool.
gameplay is unique in a sense.
UI in minimal.

good game.

Sendou

It's short (like 2 hours) and not that good in my opinion. Worth a play but not much beyond. I don't think the concept really evolved much beyond the first area.

One thing i'll never get with a lot of the "really indie" indie games in bundles and whatnot is how weaksauce their "boxart" and logos are. They can really look incredibly amateurish... on the order of random DeviantArt fanart crap. Would it kill them to at spend 50 bucks or something on a haflway decent icon and cover art picture? I would imagine it would pay for itself pretty quick. Heck, I would imagine that they could even get someone from fiverr.com to to a better job than they do for a whopping 5 bucks.

Faabulous

Awesome weekly!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dungeons of Dredmor -- MB-80EC60C46D5001CC - Taken by Saty. 9 entrants total.
The Biding of Isaac -- MB-CD89F8720AA6B6E0 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 2 entrants total.

t1390512188z1.png

Backlogger

Tried out the streaming feature, didn't get much latency but my framerate was dropping pretty badly

I plan to mess with it more tonight (I had to wipe one of my machines last night that was giving me trouble), but I was getting just under 30 FPS streaming Skyrim. I didn't fight a dragon, but in combat it only dropped maybe 2-3 frames at most.

What games did you try? Are you on a wireless or wired network?

Acccent

I haven't and I'll readily admit that the thought didn't occur to me because I have the game (and DLC) already. I'll fire off an e-mail to Crytek later and will be sure to post any response that I rec--ahahahaha, who am I kidding, I'll just be ignored. But I'll try nonetheless.

Edit: How I got "Crytek" from "Ubi" is a mystery for the ages
(because it's 4:30am)
. I think it's safe to say that Ubi has no interest in releasing Rayman 2 on Steam beyond its current scope as MRORANGE semi-recently managed to get Valve to get Ubi to provide a Grid View image and yet the game is still a no-show.

Wait, don't bother if you have it already. I know a lot of people there, I can ask directly.
You'd be surprised at the kind of stuff that can happen just because people forgot about it except on an obscure enthusiast forum where madmen collect steam games :p

JakeD

One thing i'll never get with a lot of the "really indie" indie games in bundles and whatnot is how weaksauce their "boxart" and logos are. They can really look incredibly amateurish... on the order of random DeviantArt fanart crap. Would it kill them to at spend 50 bucks or something on a haflway decent icon and cover art picture? I would imagine it would pay for itself pretty quick. Heck, I would imagine that they could even get someone from fiverr.com to to a better job than they do for a whopping 5 bucks.

yes. especially with alot of the greenlight games. the art design in the game itself could look great, but they'll use something that looks like it came from MS Paint as their official graphic.

i actually might start leaving comments on offending games greenlight pages...."hey if you were interested in a graphic upgrade, check out this guy selling on fiverr"

Acccent

I agree so much with this. Most of the time when I get the indie royale bundle for instance I just glance at the images and go 'urk, no thanks'. They're really hurting themselves. Compare that to the iOS market where some developers rely so much on the icon that their design is actually a good percentage of the game's whole budget - and it works...

Gvaz

Banned
It's not just reddit, the thread here about third parties porting to PC had some of the most hilariously ignorant statements I've ever seen. PC gamers are all pirates who wait until the game is on sale for so little that they are LITERALLY STEALING FOOD FROM DEVELOPERS.

LITERALLY

I BROKE INTO THEIR HOUSE AND KNOCKED THE FOOD RIGHT OFF THEIR PLATES

yup, I'm going through a couple ps2 games every year, going through my list.

last year was persona 3 + nocturne + drakengard + the front mission series. pretty fruitful year

I'd love to do the xenosaga series + persona 4 this year since I want to get around finally playing baldur's gate

Xenosaga plays quite well on emulators actually.

I wish xenosaga was a better series if namcobandai hadn't stomped on them into oblivion trying to be a FFX killer. Still hasn't stopped me from playing the entire series twice on emulators, and twice on my OG PS2.

Those are the 2 I already own though. How are Hack, slash, loot and Teleglitch?

Teleglitch is a top down Doom with rogue-like elements, The level lay-out, enemy mobs and items are all randomised and it has perma-death but it's not turn-based. I like Teleglitch quite a bit but the random aspect of item drops makes it really difficult beyond the first few areas. You have to be so sparing with your ammunition and a bit lucky to find the right crafting materials (you can make all manner of items from weapons to improvised explosives) or straight up weapon upgrades.

I've sunk about 8 hours into the game so far. Played it over 60 times, have yet to beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom