• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Community -- NOW.

MutFox

Banned
Good game in CS: S today dudes...

I had to leave right when CS: S was supposed to start,
but the early start was actually better for me... :p

See you guys next Friday, also could you guys find a bigger server?
I had to wait to get in, and I'm sure other gaffers had to as well,
some probably didn't even get to play for that reason.

32 man server atleast i think. ;)

Joe Molotov

MMaRsu said:
The hell? why is this stickied instead of the H3 thread????????

Because I'm tired of doing a search for this thread every couple of days, that why.

BTW, I noticed that the Enemy Territory demo is now on Steam. I haven't heard them say anything about whether or not the game was going to be on Steam, but I guess that's pretty much an official announcement.

I do know that they like to collect data in the background like nuts for all the "good reasons", but is it enough? I hope they let us give personal feedback. The NeoGaf community would be to their benefit. Why else would Valve have a pre-release beta? Am I right?

Doytch

ThaiGrocer said:
I do know that they like to collect data in the background like nuts for all the "good reasons", but is it enough? I hope they let us give personal feedback. The NeoGaf community would be to their benefit. Why else would Valve have a pre-release beta? Am I right?

I'm skeptical that it's really a beta. I think it's just a demo, and will give them a jump start on tweaking things for patches. The fact that we're preloading the game, and not a specific beta version leads me to believe that TF2 is, if not gold, damn close, and any changes will have to wait for post-release.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Maybe this question has been asked or not, but here goes.

What are the major FREE mods for hl2 that the gaf community usually plays? Since i just preordered orange box, i figure i should download some of the mods so i am able to join in with you guys.

fallout

evlcookie said:
What are the major FREE mods for hl2 that the gaf community usually plays? Since i just preordered orange box, i figure i should download some of the mods so i am able to join in with you guys.
Dystopia is probably the most common. We tried Insurgency, but it's a little hard to get into. Fortress Forever might also see some more action. Of course, after the TF2 beta is out, anything else will probably just be a break.

Keep in mind that CS:S Mod Mondays are just server-side mods, so you don't actually have to download anything special (aside from the files from the servers). Gun Game and Zombie (which I've never actually played).

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:
"Ah, I missed the memo there's only like five guys left now and only two or so where in chat I joined. Looks like synbios may be getting people back together."

I was planning on moving it back to 8 since it was sorta short notice and I wasn't sure if everyone knew we would be trying the 7PM thing every day now, but the toast still popped up at 7PM even after I changed it :shrug:.

So it's been moved back to 9PM (8 Central) already? I don't play because 9PM is too late to start.

I don't see why the games don't start earlier and if there's this huge contingent of west coast gamers, they'll loiter in late and keep the server going strong late into the night. I never understood the mentality... well if we can't play (west coasters), nobody can play. Because to a large degree, you're taking the same mentality to the majority time zone (eastern.)

"So it's been moved back to 9PM (8 Central) already? I don't play because 9PM is too late to start.

I don't see why the games don't start earlier and if there's this huge contingent of west coast gamers, they'll loiter in late and keep the server going strong late into the night. I never understood the mentality... well if we can't play (west coasters), nobody can play. Because to a large degree, you're taking the same mentality to the majority time zone (eastern.)"

Nah, we'll stick with 7PM Central. We still got a large amount of players and nobody seems to mind it.

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:
"So it's been moved back to 9PM (8 Central) already? I don't play because 9PM is too late to start.

I don't see why the games don't start earlier and if there's this huge contingent of west coast gamers, they'll loiter in late and keep the server going strong late into the night. I never understood the mentality... well if we can't play (west coasters), nobody can play. Because to a large degree, you're taking the same mentality to the majority time zone (eastern.)"

Nah, we'll stick with 7PM Central. We still got a large amount of players and nobody seems to mind it.

Cool. I logged into Steam Community and saw it was listed as 9PM, so I figured it was switched back.

I'm sure I'll crack and do the Orange Box preorder before Monday. And if so, it's gonna be TF2 week for me.

Wes

venison crêpe
Could someone explain to me about the Orange Box...

I already own HL2 and CS:S seperately, will I have to pay for these two again if I buy this Orange Box thing on Steam?

Wes said:

I already own HL2 and CS:S seperately, will I have to pay for these two again if I buy this Orange Box thing on Steam?

No. You pay 45 bucks and you get: HL Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. 3 games for cheap, so it's a great deal.

Dabanton

Wes said:

The Orange box contains Half Life 2,as well as Half Life episodes 1 and 2,Team Fortress 2 and Portal as you already have HL2 you can give the version in the Orange Box to someone as a present.

1-D_FTW

Wes said:

They're included, yes. Whether you're gonna find any package cheaper at launch remains extremely doubtful (especially if you plan on playing Episode 1.)

Valve has really jacked up the prices on individual items and Black Box, IMO, is looking to be a post-launch product (Judging by the caginess of their wording.) So even though you'll be technically rebuying them, it still may be the cheapest option.

Mrbob

I'm going to try and make some more of these get togethers, but I haven't had much free time lately and my Madden league games need to get done first.

I wish I could buy Peggle Extreme seperately. Been waiting for Peggle Deluxe to drop to 10 bucks, and now I have it! :D

Falch

Found out about this today, signed up and joined the neoGAF group. I've got TF2 preloaded. Can't wait to play it. 9 years I've waited for this game. NINE YEARS. I'm halfway through my study medicine now, and I was barely in highschool when TF2 was first announced. :lol

datruth29

Just downloaded Fortress Forever. It's excellent relief medicine until the cure comes. :D Anyway, any of you guys planning on a getting a game together later today?

"Found out about this today, signed up and joined the neoGAF group. I've got TF2 preloaded. Can't wait to play it. 9 years I've waited for this game. NINE YEARS. I'm halfway through my study medicine now, and I was barely in highschool when TF2 was first announced. "

It's when you put it in perspective like this that the 9 years really seem like eons.

Falch

Teknopathetic said:
"Found out about this today, signed up and joined the neoGAF group. I've got TF2 preloaded. Can't wait to play it. 9 years I've waited for this game. NINE YEARS. I'm halfway through my study medicine now, and I was barely in highschool when TF2 was first announced. "

It's when you put it in perspective like this that the 9 years really seem like eons.

Exactly. I can still remember seeming the first TF2 pictures. For the record:

teamfortress2.jpg

teamfortress22.jpg

These are from May 1999.

Falch said:
Exactly. I can still remember seeming the first TF2 pictures. For the record:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/teamfortress2.jpg[/IMG]

http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/teamfortress22.jpg[/IMG]

These are from May 1999.

I still remember when they claimed the game would be just one big never ending war and people would join and leave and the war would continue.

Maybe I'm just making that up but I remember something like that lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Metalmurphy said:
I still remember when they claimed the game would be just one big never ending war and people would join and leave and the war would continue.

They should do that. One life per IP address.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
WasabiKing said:
no good if you're on an ISP that uses dynamic IPs

Not allowed to participate. Sorry, but we have to be strict to preserve the integrity of the "one game, one life" model.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I noticed in the steam neogaf chat that people were getting kicked from games due to a high ping. What's the average max ping allowed on X servers?

Since im from AU i can only hope people dont boot me from TF2 games due to the awesome distance and amazing ping that i should have.
And i just realised i could pre-loud TF2 :lol .

Joe Molotov

AstroLad said:
They should do that. One life per IP address.

Team Fortress 2 Beta Night
September 17 @ 08:00pm - Hosted by: NeoGAF

Half-Life 2 Mod Night (Forever Fortress)
September 17 @ 08:01pm - Hosted by: NeoGAF

I'll probably be nearly a minute early to the second event.

MutFox

Banned
I just bought the "Orange Box" on STEAM but already have HL2...
Thought that there was a voucher to give away the extra copy to a friend...

Is it still possible?

Looking through it right now, just thought I could get a faster response from you guys...

MutFox

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
For some games they'll occasionally hand out guest passes that lets someone play the full version of a game for a short amount of time.

Yeah, just didn't know about that game...
I just checked out a vid, looks kinda cool, I'll check out the demo.
(Don't wanna take your guest pass, since I just want to try it a little.)

MutFox

Banned
AstroLad said:
Exactly, I think it will revolutionize gaming. Make firefights a lot more intense.
And have the random headshots from CS: S. :p

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
and boring if you don't join early on :p I can't see anyone continually paying $29.99

Make it like an Arcade 50cents a pop :p

Top Bottom