• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

I'm enjoying with Cosmic Star Heronie since 1,5 hours, so beautiful game so far! Always smile on my face while playing. (until
abandoned lab. :S)
Deep battle system; OST, atmosphere and characters are so good so far.

Thanks again Knurek!

Look man you don't gotta play that tune with me.
I know what I'm going in for.

Lol.

QoXVb7i.gif

Will grab Elex down the line, too many games for me to play atm @o@
Anyways TIME FOR DOKI DOKI!

Next year's GOTY Pillars of Eternity II is doing pirates.

Thorgal

so i don't know if any Developer or people with knowledge of game design post in this thread ( and if not ill post a thread to get more exposure for it ) but i am curious how this is done i in The evil within : https://youtu.be/IXIiDB4k4pA?list=PL57hJfweW_2ufMjvwvln-SHOISPR42uw_&t=1264

how are the developers able to change the game world area you are in so fast from one to the next ?
i know in this instance it can be argued that that little black and white segment is hiding the world loading in but on other occasions the change is almost instantaneous .

whats the secret ?

Aaron D.

kpPqdMT.gif

Cogmind drops later today. Pretty freakin' stoked.

It's a turn-based ASCII rougelike that looks to marry traditional genre design philosophies with modern conveniences and sensibilities.

Games appears to have a impressive amount of depth attached to it...all made by one guy.

Javier23

Banned

It's a turn-based ASCII rougelike that looks to marry traditional genre design philosophies with modern conveniences and sensibilities.

Games appears to have a impressive amount of depth attached to it...all made by one guy.
Oh my, this looks right up my alley. Wishlisting!

Purkake4

Banned

kpPqdMT.gif

Just found out about it last week. The super in-depth developer diaries and the whole design process is great to read. Also the visual design and the sound effects are amazing and not something I'd expect from a roguelike.

I also like the self-sustaining robot ecosystem with neutral robots dynamically searching for scrap to turn into matter recycles that actual recycle it (or return it if you hack them), rebuilding walls, digging new tunnels. The "global" AI is also maintaining an alert level that goes up if you mess with things or destroy stuff, eventually sending squads after you and making stealth a valid option. There's guns that shoot through walls and enemies that use scanners to see and shoot at you through walls, side levels (Unexplored style) with unique stuff like trash compactors caches of prototype weapons.

This let's play gives a pretty good overview of the gameplay.

Also, this is the non-ascii mode:

Mikurden

I'm really glad licensed movie games are branching out, with stuff like this and the Mummy Demastered. Much better than the 5th/6th generation days where near-all movie tie-ins were samey, generic beat'em up platformers.
I guess the games don't have to be samey and generic just because the movies are!

Durante

so i don't know if any Developer or people with knowledge of game design post in this thread ( and if not ill post a thread to get more exposure for it ) but i am curious how this is done i in The evil within : https://youtu.be/IXIiDB4k4pA?list=PL57hJfweW_2ufMjvwvln-SHOISPR42uw_&t=1264

how are the developers able to change the game world area you are in so fast from one to the next ?
i know in this instance it can be argued that that little black and white segment is hiding the world loading in but on other occasions the change is almost instantaneous .

whats the secret ?
I'd assume that it basically simply boils down to keeping both of the areas you are switching between loaded in memory. That reduces your total memory budget, but on the current consoles (and PC of course) it's not insurmountable.

Rizzi

What is your rig?
You always seem to have trouble.

i5 6600K
16 GB ram
R9 390x

The only games that have actually run like crap on this PC have been Dishonored 2, Agents of Mayhem and The Evil Within 2. Most things run decently once I turn things down a bit.
Dunno if there's a setting that's fucking with The Evil Within 2 though.

If a game has online-only achievements and you end up playing through it without an Internet connection, is there any way to force your progress to sync with Steam retroactively and get the achievements? Guessing not, but figured folks here would know.

BTW, Slayaway Camp is a really, really good puzzle game. Better suited to mobile given the very short levels and touch-friendly mechanics, but it plays fine with a controller on a big screen, and it really does have that addictive one-more-level quality despite being a glorified sliding-blocks puzzler.

Ganado

If a game has online-only achievements and you end up playing through it without an Internet connection, is there any way to force your progress to sync with Steam retroactively and get the achievements? Guessing not, but figured folks here would know.

Its up to the devs to implement a check on savefile for achievements and such. If there is none, either Steam Achievement Manager will help you, or you'll have to restart.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If the achievements are truly online-only (i.e. your progress isn't synced after going back online), you can use SAM to unlock them provided they're not designed to be unlocked server-side.

Erheller

Everyone with small SSD drives and too many games installed should read this. Heck, everyone should read this
https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI

It's a tool that uses a built-in Windows 10 tool too compress games and programs, but still be able to run them without performance drop.

See this chart to see how much each game got compressed and how much disk space was saved
https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/wiki/Game-and-Program-Compression-Tests

One great example is Space Hulk: Deathwing. Uncompressed it uses 32 GB, after compression it's 4.1 GB!

The compress tool can be used without the tool
Here is an article about the Win10 tool

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/compact-os

Hey, this is cool. I'll try it out later.

Mivey

Holy KRACK.
That's worse than Heartbleed, right?
It seems pretty bad, but there should be patches for most systems until the first actual exploits turn up. The attack focuses on clients, after all.
Except on Android, since pretty much nobody patches old stuff, there you should probably get Lineage OS if you can, or buy a new one, with the exploit patched out. Or at the very least, don't do anything "important" on your phone, logging into important services, whatever.

MUnited83

For you.
Everyone with small SSD drives and too many games installed should read this. Heck, everyone should read this
https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI

It's a tool that uses a built-in Windows 10 tool too compress games and programs, but still be able to run them without performance drop.

See this chart to see how much each game got compressed and how much disk space was saved
https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/wiki/Game-and-Program-Compression-Tests

One great example is Space Hulk: Deathwing. Uncompressed it uses 32 GB, after compression it's 4.1 GB!

The compress tool can be used without the tool
Here is an article about the Win10 tool

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/compact-os

sounds like this would screw up the loading times quite a bit

Ladekabel

Chances of the GOG discounts on The Witcher franchise also being on Steam in half an hour?

If they come I‘ll finally might get the Expansion Pass. If not I’ll probably be torn between Cuphead and NioH even if Destiny 2 and Mario are right around the corner.

Reviews don't look great for Elex...but it is a PB game so I don't know what I was expecting. I think I will still enjoy it, I guess I will find out tomorrow.

i5 6600K
16 GB ram
R9 390x

The only games that have actually run like crap on this PC have been Dishonored 2, Agents of Mayhem and The Evil Within 2. Most things run decently once I turn things down a bit.
Dunno if there's a setting that's fucking with The Evil Within 2 though.
Have you tried Wolfenstein, Rage? Idtech 5 seems to hate amd.

Tizoc

I should switch to a Halloween avatar by next week.
Doki Doki ought to be enough of a Halloween game for me this year :V

Top Bottom