• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
What you did wrong is trying to max out all the social links first time round. Just enjoy the story and characters, and do it in new game plus. It's even easier in Persona 4 Golden!

It's perfectly possible to max out all the social links and read all the books, but you'd really have to follow a guide to get the timings down right, which would spoil a lot of the enjoyment for me. Especially the first time round.
that's the thing, i didn't try to

i like that aspect of persona 3, you could only max a reasonable amount of dudes

this is too low tho, in p3 i got like 70%, here it's like 30

That seems really low. I feel like i managed twice as many without really going out of my way to max them, but i do love to save scum...
You might not have discovered the links early enough? It also helps to have a matching persona with you.

I did however have a lot of free time due to my self imposed rule of never spending more than two days on a dungeon.
idk, i don't feel like i fucked up so much as to have this shitty of a score

like 8/21 is TERRIBLE

idk how this happened -___-

Vuze

So, TB is trying out Halo Wars 2 on stream...

The game's framerate drops lower and lower every time he pauses and goes to the menu. Huh?
I'm sure that's some new meta gameplay mechanic.
(Actually a game where your character gets more vulnerable the more time you take to plan stuff out would be kinda interesting 🤔)

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
What has Wolpaw done since Portal 2? He should join Double Fine imo

Phawx

Oh man guys, February 28th for Ryzen reviews. I am hoping so hard that AMD get the break they need.

Also this game looks amazing and is on Greenlight right now:

https://dead-cells.com/

1dfe08e1_8368070.gif

Dinjoralo

So, TB is trying out Halo Wars 2 on stream...

The game's framerate drops lower and lower every time he pauses and goes to the menu. Huh?
A Microsoft-published game on PC-er, Windows 10 having glaring issues? I am shocked and appalled.

Killer Instinct and Gears of War 4 are exceptions to the rule.

M.D

Started playing The Witness today.

Majority of the initial puzzles were easy because I could immediately see the logic behind them, but as I progressed further things started to get difficult.

Does each puzzle contain its own logic and rules? The first few puzzle sets I encountered all followed a certain pattern, but for example this new area I got into (which is still really close to the beginning of the game) has puzzles spread around, and the later ones that are unlocked I can't quite see the pattern that they follow (I managed to solve one with luck which led me to another one which I can't solve).

I'm really just wondering if I'll see a pattern and reason behind every puzzle if I think about it long enough, or some of it is more trial and error to get the right answer/possibly depend on me solving other puzzles first to unlock something

Nzyme32

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if former Valve employees get to keep the games they added to their accounts now that the perk is purchasing games from the store at no cost instead of receiving them automagically via sub 61.

This Persona 4 talk just reminded me that I couldn't find Kanji anywhere (after recruiting him) for 90% of the game. I only coincidentally stumbled into him and established his Social Link in the extra month. It was one of, like, six that I never really saw.

I still don't know how I failed to notice him for so long. Inaba is a maze and the school is worse. It kind of makes me appreciate the visual novel presentation of P3P, although it'd be hella improved by full-blown cinematics.

The Social Link mechanic (as in, a series of loosely-tied scenes that each make up a larger subplot for a character) is something more games should use. It makes other RPGs and their whole "characters get one quest and THAT'S IT" thing seem so shallow in comparison. Like, the Persona games do great jobs at making the party members (and beyond) into full-fledged characters elegantly, without even necessitating that you bring them along in battle.

Wok

I wonder if former Valve employees get to keep the games they added to their accounts now that they "buy" them from the store at no cost instead of receiving them automagically via sub 61.

There is only one way to know. Get hired, bro!

With sub61, did they have a life-long subscription to every past, present and future game on Steam?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There is only one way to know. Get hired, bro!

Okay!

With sub61, did they have a life-long subscription to every past, present and future game on Steam?

Prior to the change it had everything that was ever available on the store (games would be added when they released). Now it just has Valve stuff.

Vlad

Majority of the initial puzzles were easy because I could immediately see the logic behind them, but as I progressed further things started to get difficult.

Does each puzzle contain its own logic and rules? The first few puzzle sets I encountered all followed a certain pattern, but for example this new area I got into (which is still really close to the beginning of the game) has puzzles spread around, and the later ones that are unlocked I can't quite see the pattern that they follow (I managed to solve one with luck which led me to another one which I can't solve).

I'm really just wondering if I'll see a pattern and reason behind every puzzle if I think about it long enough, or some of it is more trial and error to get the right answer/possibly depend on me solving other puzzles first to unlock something

I'm only a couple hours in myself, and so far, it seems like what the game is going for are multiple independent rulesets which it then combines and messes around with. I've come across several puzzles that had markings on them that I had never seen before, and I gave up after a few feeble attempts at figuring them out. However, a little while later I'd stumble upon an area that had what was obviously a tutorial sequence for those kinds of markings, so I'll be able to go back to the original ones (assuming I can find them) and solve them with my new knowledge.

There have also been some puzzles where the nearby environment is also relevant to solving them.

Ascheroth

This Persona 4 talk just reminded me that I couldn't find Kanji anywhere (after recruiting him) for 90% of the game. I only coincidentally stumbled into him and established his Social Link in the extra month. It was one of, like, six that I never really saw.

I still don't know how I failed to notice him for so long. Inaba is a maze and the school is worse. It kind of makes me appreciate the visual novel presentation of P3P, although it'd be hella improved by full-blown cinematics.

The Social Link mechanic (as in, a series of loosely-tied scenes that each make up a larger subplot for a character) is something more games should use. It makes other RPGs and their whole "characters get one quest and THAT'S IT" thing seem so shallow in comparison. Like, the Persona games do great jobs at making the party members (and beyond) into full-fledged characters elegantly, without even necessitating that you bring them along in battle.
Atelier Sophie does that. Every party member has their optional subplot with lots of events and as you advance them they get new passive skills or other benefits.
And a few NPCs have their storylines as well, though they obviously don't get stronger :p
I'm not sure if other Atelier games do this as well, but I'd guess so given it's slice-of-life-ish nature is perfect for stuff like that.

It's pretty neat.

The place you reached near the start is put there to teach you to walk away from a puzzle if you can't get the solution. The island is divided in several different 'zones' in a manner of speaking. Go and explore somewhere else for now.

Knurek

Mass Effect says hi.
(Much easier to max Social Links for allmost of characters in a single Mass Effect playthrough as well).

Knurek

I just love how Steins;Gate explains how it's possible to compress 3.24 TB of random noise data into 36 bytes. I want the next version of 7-zip to have support for this compression, with working decompression to boot.
Let's just send it to a black hole, which with it's infinite gravity will compress all information down to zero

Lanrutcon

How similar/different is it to FTL, if you've played that?

Similar formula, with differences:

- More lighthearted. More forgiving.
- There are game overs, but there are auto save points. No manual saves.
- Difficulty starts out reasonably steep for a game that's meant to be light-hearted. I had to restart twice cause I backed myself into a no-win corner.
- Boss fights are fun and challenging.
- By mid-game there's a lot of weapon variety to roll with.
- There are management aspects outside of combat: research, building facilities, hiring staff, training staff, weapon crafting.
- Each map has limited amount of turns. Less you spend completing the map objective, more you have to gain levels/resources/research/crafting. If you waste time, you suffer.
- No postgame. No unlockables. (yet)

vermadas

I wonder if former Valve employees get to keep the games they added to their accounts now that the perk is purchasing games from the store at no cost instead of receiving them automagically via sub 61.

Oh hey, that reminds me that I got Sub 14 because of the Steam Controller on Mac issues. If those VR games they are working on are paid, I won't have to worry about buying them!

Nzyme32

For all of you VVVVV lovers, let me recommend you Upside down.

It's a very nice small game, with similar mechanics, but easier than VVVVV. There are only 40 levels. I'm currently in the last level with only a couple hours played, but for less than 1 €/$ some of you might be interested.

I... kind of already hate it.

VVVVVV was amazing in large part due to how tight it was with its controls. Already this looks extremely floaty and less snappy - things I generally hate about some platformers.

XCOM 2 is so good

Until your Ironman mode save gets glitched and you have to start over after 60 missions............ I loved it up till then, particularly with the two DLC, Shen's Last Gift and Alien whatever it was DLC - must haves for the game imo

Nabs

Hmmm... tempted to refund on Steam and switch to GMG; I wonder if they already have keys?

No keys yet: "If you purchased a game which has not been released yet, we will send you a separate email with your game key closer to the release date and your key will be added to your account at that time."

Alien8

I... kind of already hate it.

VVVVVV was amazing in large part due to how tight it was with its controls. Already this looks extremely floaty and less snappy - things I generally hate about some platformers.

Yes, the controls aren't near as tight as were in VVVVV and they're floaty, so probably that game is not for you. For me this was a good alternative, since VVVVV was too difficult. ;)

Atelier Sophie does that. Every party member has their optional subplot with lots of events and as you advance them they get new passive skills or other benefits.
And a few NPCs have their storylines as well, though they obviously don't get stronger :p
I'm not sure if other Atelier games do this as well, but I'd guess so given it's slice-of-life-ish nature is perfect for stuff like that.

It's pretty neat.

Had no idea. Unfortunately the Steam store page is kind of... well, it exists at least.
Code:
17th in the Atelier series.
The budding alchemist Sophie of Kirchen Bell meets the Mysterious Book, Plachta, and embarks on a wonderful adventure of fulfilling dreams.
In seriousness, though, my interest is piqued, thanks.
Mass Effect says hi.
(Much easier to max Social Links for allmost of characters in a single Mass Effect playthrough as well).

Hrm. I hadn't considered the parallels between Bioware's formula and Persona's Social Links, but you're right...

I guess I want it to level up and unlock cool new personas in every game.

Tagyhag

So excited, finally bought a 1070. Went with the Asus Strix because I've had EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte (my current favorite) gpus in the past and want to see how what the fuss is about with Strix.

I'll be playing at 1080p. Any games to really test out the GPU? Already bought Far Cry 4, Rise of Tomb, Witcher 3, DOOM, and Total Warhammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom