• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
People will mention the "classics" regardless so I don't think it's a bad idea for the OP to focus on more recent releases.

Yeah, but be honest here, most of the Steam audience wont read the actual content of the thread. We are lucky if people actually read through the recommended games and not only look at the pictures :p It kinda doesnt matter too much what the rest of the thread consists of, as long as it has enough posts to be bumped continually.

I think you should do a mix of both.

Maybe a first post with the highlights of newly released recommended indies, and then do the rest as usual, because some people might be new to Steam and not necesarily know about them.

The first post might only be like a list of the new titles without reviews and put the actual review in the alphabetically ordered list like you have done previously.

Hm, that idea might work. I'll ponder this.

I'm talking about the games you wouldn't dare name. Recent games are more "newsworthy" but during sales I'm more about acquiring games and less about their recentness. So value precedes quality during sale. That's why I want a safe list, where buying anything from that list can be considered a good move. Also, Toma, please don't stop reminding us the indie threads. With all the bundles running around I'm clueless.

Also let's not forget that Summer Sale is the time when Steam gets most of the newcomers so most people would be unaware of the classics.

Thats true too, I was thinking of simply linking the old thread and not adding those games again, but then... people dont click thread reference links. They simply dont, so those games would be lost in the ether.

And I noticed that the Indie bundles are either complete off or contain 1-2 games that the whole bundle is VERY much worth it for. I just dont feel like spamming my opinion on every bundle every 3 hours in the Steam thread, just so it reaches all people that are actually interested in hearing my opinion on it. It would be easier if those people could just jump into the Indie thread in which we talk about these bundles anyway :p

Thats true too, I was thinking of simply linking the old thread and not adding those games again, but then... people dont click thread reference links. They simply dont, so those games would be lost in the ether.

And I noticed that the Indie bundles are either complete off or contain 1-2 games that the whole bundle is VERY much worth it for. I just dont feel like spamming my opinion on every bundle every 3 hours in the Steam thread, just so it reaches all people that are actually interested in hearing my opinion on it. It would be easier if those people could just jump into the Indie thread in which we talk about these bundles anyway :p

I wish people talked more about their games in this thread. I don't know about Stump's idea but I assume you can put a teaser review and link the rest to the indie thread. This thread is getting larger everyday and at this point it is beyond readable to me. I assume it won't be possible to follow it during sale for mere humans like me.
Also I value your opinions on indie games, and those might trigger some actual discussion instead of the current boobs and asses project we try to convert this thread to.
And I'm guilty of that, or at least would be if I wasn't at work the whole day and blocked all images in GAF.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally finished Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

The Armstrong fight was fantastic, but I wonder what happened to this game. The first four chapters are just packed, and then you get chapter five - which takes 10 minutes to play, and no boss at all. And then chapter six which is basically just a boss, before the really brief final chapter and the, as I already said, fantastic final fight.

The main battle and parry system is amazing, shitloads of hilarious customization, and the QTEs and stuff are top notch p* stuff, as always.

Wish they had more time and money for this game though

edit: Just spotted John Ricciardi in the credits! :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I wish people talked more about their games in this thread. I don't know about Stump's idea but I assume you can put a teaser review and link the rest to the indie thread. This thread is getting larger everyday and at this point it is beyond readable to me. I assume it won't be possible to follow it during sale for mere humans like me.
Also I value your opinions on indie games, and those might trigger some actual discussion instead of the current boobs and asses project we try to convert this thread to.
And I'm guilty of that, or at least would be if I wasn't at work the whole day and blocked all images in GAF.

That is actually part of the reason why we discuss those games over in the Indie thread. The steam thread has kinda become unusable for actual in-depth game discussions. It kind of became so bloated that I need to post the same post multiple times within a few hours just to reach most people reading this thread in a certain time zone. I sometimes posted something 30 minutes later during sale time, in which time the thread moved 10-15 pages and reached a totally different set of people reading the thread on that same page. I dont really want feel like spamming the shit out of my opinion more than I already do just to adjust myself to the necessities of this thread. I'd really love to post more about games in here since I know many people here are quite receptive to my recommendations, but its simply not feasible to keep up with the thread on a regular basis.

Btw, if anyone is interested, I post some videos on some of the more interesting games each month from the Indie threads here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWatA0sf5dvgj-vpz76FHQ

fantomena

Just received my preview code for Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms and review code for Crimson Clover: World Ignition. WIll make a video for each of them. :)

That is actually part of the reason why we discuss those games over in the Indie thread. The steam thread has kinda become unusable for actual in-depth game discussions. Actually, it became so bloated, that I need to post the same post within a few hours just to reach most people reading this thread in a certain time zone. I sometimes posted something 30 minutes later during sale time, in which time the thread moved 10-15 pages and reached a totally different set of people reading the thread on that same page. I dont really want feel like spamming the shit out of my opinion more than I already do just to adjust myself to the necessities of this thread. I'd really love to post more about games in here since I know many people here are quite receptive to my recommendations, but its simply not feasible to keep up with the thread on a regular basis.

I guess that fast tide reflects our gaming habits, I play in small bursts, play for half an hour or one, leave and type something in the thread about it. So the thread goes with small bursts of different time zones, thus becoming a leviathan. We need longer discussions about video games. With the current situation we talk longer about Natalie Dormer compared to a game. I agree that Natalie is indeed more interesting but we can stay a bit more focused, can't we?

Knurek

Just received my preview code for Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms and review code for Crimson Clover: World Ignition. WIll make a video for each of them. :)

Make sure to play the mode with Double Break (Original or Normal, can't recall off hand), and try to enable that at some time.
The stream of destruction that goes on at the time is amazing.

This thread transcended games long ago, sadly. I lurk in Toma's thread for indie games, but I wish there was a strict 'Steam Games' discussion thread too. However, I know that will not really happen. I guess the option will be to create loads of 'LTTP' threads in main gaming though I'm not sure how mods will feel about several of those being made every day.

Is there a 'Stuff I played today' thread?

redlacs

header_292x136.jpg

thanks Arthea!
it was the only game i was interested in that groupees bundle so didnt go for it. mucho appreciato!

Heya guys, I'll likely throw up a new Indie Game recommendations thread for the steam sale, like this one:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621131

Charlequin suggested making a new thread and focussing on more recent games (last ~1 year plus some classics) instead of taking mentioning the old Indies again for the 10th time. Since you are the main audience for the thread, whats your take on this?
I think that's a great idea. The previous thread you linked me to exposed me to some cool games.

Speaking of which...

just a reminder, that there is giveaway here (20 minutes left still), not free for all though, sorry

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116772644&postcount=14395
Thank you for Angvik. This review blurb has me very excited for it. "Ever played Rygar? Ghosts & Goblins? Wizards and Warriors? Cave Story? I wanna be the guy? Angvik is an indie platformer that provides some of the gaming goodness that all of the above games contained..."

Evrain

Make sure to play the mode with Double Break (Original or Normal, can't recall off hand), and try to enable that at some time.
The stream of destruction that goes on at the time is amazing.
Original or Unlimited. Double Break is disabled for both Simple and Boost (sadly).

Quick question: did the code come from the publisher or Yotsubane? I was considering writing an appreciation mail to the latter, since I've been playing CC since its Comiket demo release.

This thread transcended games long ago, sadly. I lurk in Toma's thread for indie games, but I wish there was a strict 'Steam Games' discussion thread too. However, I know that will not really happen. I guess the option will be to create loads of 'LTTP' threads in main gaming though I'm not sure how mods will feel about several of those being made every day.

Not yet, but I recently tried something similar, writing a paragraph about the game I play that day. Started by going alphabetically on my Steam library, that got boring fast due to bundle fodder. Continued posting on this thread with small things, like the Inquisitor yesterday. But they really got lost in the tide.

By the way thanks for the game Arthea. Here, have a glass of cool spring water.

Not yet, but I recently tried something similar, writing a paragraph about the game I play that day. Started by going alphabetically on my Steam library, that got boring fast due to bundle fodder. Continued posting on this thread with small things, like the Inquisitor yesterday. But they really got lost in the tide.
I've done it a couple of times too, but no one ever really responds.

By the way thanks for the game Arthea. Here, have a glass of cool spring water.

I read you Inquisitor post but didn't replay, also read the RPGCodex review.

Knurek

I'd really love to post more about games in here since I know many people here are quite receptive to my recommendations, but its simply not feasible to keep up with the thread on a regular basis.

Truth be told, I'd keep up with Indie thread more frequently were it not monthly (it usually ends up being less than 10 pages, don't really see the need for such frequent change), and if the first page didn't have 50+ MB of screenshots.
Of course your (and other folks from the thread) reviews are generally worth the look. We could do with a 'GAF Indie Review Panel' thread - people keep saying Steam Reviews are good enough, but for me one Toma/Durante/More_Badass equals at least a hundred anonymous Steam users...

You can always post about the games you are currently playing, people do it all the time, it's not like we never talk about games.

Toma

Truth be told, I'd keep up with Indie thread more frequently were it not monthly (it usually ends up being less than 10 pages, don't really see the need for such frequent change), and if the first page didn't have 50+ MB of screenshots.
Of course your (and other folks from the thread) reviews are generally worth the look. We could do with a 'GAF Indie Review Panel' thread - people keep saying Steam Reviews are good enough, but for me one Toma/Durante/More_Badass equals at least a hundred anonymous Steam users...

The monthly thing was a requirement from GAF administration for any ongoing games thread, be it steam, PSN or indie games. Though it does kinda make sense tbh as it allows us to frequently feature new games in the OP. I know the Steam users in here are more interested in our opinion over there, but the thread layout itself is important to get to those impressions. Without the games/screenshot list, I wouldnt play as many of those games as I do currently. It gives us a chance to have a checklist of stuff to try each month and I wouldnt want to change it that much to be honest.

Thanks for the nice words btw, and you are always free to hop over and ask for our opinion on a game or bundle.

You can always post about the games you are currently playing, people do it all the time, it's not like we never talk about games.

There is a difference between info-dumping and having an actual discussion.

Arthea

To all winners of games, you are most welcome and have a good sale!

Same as Tellaerin, I read most if not all game impressions in this thread, there is no need to say anything sometimes, but I do like them, so please, keep those coming.

Divius

Haven't checked this thread in a while, I assume you guys have seen the 'Myserious' trading cards already? No idea how new that is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'm going to wait for the upcoming patch to hit before jumping back in. I don't want to dive into the game for a few days only for the patch to kick things back to square one.

Haven't checked this thread in a while, I assume you guys have seen the 'Myserious' trading cards already? No idea how new that is.

Yeah, they replaced coupons as a crafting reward about five days ago.

fantomena

I'm going to wait for the upcoming patch to hit before jumping back in. I don't want to dive into the game for a few days only for the patch to kick things back to square one.

I don't trust Ubisoft and their patches. And if a mod is not only making the stuttering go away (I have good performance), but also bringing the first E3 gameplay quality back:

Mod > Official patch

JaseC

I don't trust Ubisoft and their patches. And if a mod is not only making the stuttering go away (I have good performance), but also bringing the first E3 gameplay quality back:

Mod > Official patch

I'm not saying the patch will make the mod redundant, but rather there's a chance it will break the modder's work, so I'm going to wait... plus I'm knee-deep in Fable: TLC at the moment.

Well nice to see my impressions have some clout :p Thanks

Yeah, I pretty much ignore any and all Steam reviews. Well there's actually only one user whose Steam reviews I read, CueZero, because he always does these damn good detailed impressions. But 99% of the time? Steam reviews are pretty useless.

Yeah, they replaced coupons as a crafting reward about five days ago.

Wait does that mean no more coupons?

Tomodachi

dat tex murphy bundle's price on GOG

Any chance it will be discounted on Steam during summer sale even though it just came out over here? *sighs*

JaseC

dat tex murphy bundle's price on GOG

Any chance it will be discounted on Steam during summer sale even though it just came out over here? *sighs*

I wouldn't expect more than -50% considering the current discount of -50% ends when the Summer Sale starts. It'd be a huge middle finger to those who have already picked up the pack to discount it further in just a matter of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom