• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wait until a "games as a service" has it's hooks in me before diving in with both feet.

I'm all about CK2 & Stellaris, so I'm happy to support the dev as they continue to expand these titles.

But EU4, well it just never stuck with me. I started nabbing all the expansions just 'cause I enjoy the genre so much. But then I reached a point where I had to stop and ask myself wth I was doing. I was buying DLC for a game that I wasn't actively playing. No bueno.

Now I just give myself the room to try the vanilla version of big, deep games with no strings attached. If I find myself investing a couple dozens hours or more, then I'll start thinking about expanding out into the dlc. But not a minute before.

That makes sense but what if a game is really bland without its expansions like civ games? You drop the game?

Although So far, the games that have so much dlc that it stops me from even considering them are paradox grand strategy series, train simulator and the original ababomination, the sims (complete versions dont have a la carte dlc included). Final fantasy seems to be going there but since square has no faith in the pc I bet we get all dlc included on the pc for 20 or 30 dollars in a sale within one year of release.

Anno

Paradox does a good job I think of adding lots of stuff with the free patches that accompany the DLC. To the point that several reviews for Stellaris:Utopia mentioned that the DLC wasn't even the highlight of the update. So I think it's fair to basically everyone outside of a couple times in the past that they screwed it up.

Rime is cracked...

from one of the posts...

"In Rime that ugly creature went out of control - how do you like three fucking hundreds of THOUSANDS calls to "triggers"
during initial game launch and savegame loading? Did you wonder why game loading times are so long - here is the answer :)
In previous games like Sgw3, Nier, Prey there were only about 1000 "triggers" called, so we have x300 here.
Next - 300,000 called "triggers" were just warmup for Denuvo, after 30 minutes of gameplay it became 2 fucking MILLIONS of
called "triggers". Protection now calls about 10-30 triggers every second during actual gameplay, slowing game down.
In previous games like Sgw3, Nier, Prey there were only about 1-2 "triggers" called every several minutes during gameplay, so do the math.
Don't forget that triggers is under VM and heavily obfuscated, which obviously does not improve perfomance"

Holy shit.

So, Denuvo realizes that their protection is no longer good as their best version has been cracked. Instead of thinking of a way to create a higher level protection, they increase the number of "triggers" instead. They're getting desperate, it seems. However, has there been known whose call that set the "triggers" was?

Aaron D.

That makes sense but what if a game is really bland without its expansions like civ games? You drop the game?

Although So far, the games that have so much dlc that it stops me from even considering them are paradox grand strategy series, train simulator and the original ababomination, the sims (complete versions dont have a la carte dlc included). Final fantasy seems to be going there but since square has no faith in the pc I bet we get all dlc included on the pc for 20 or 30 dollars in a sale within one year of release.

Well the thing to remember with Paradox grand-strat titles is that all major expansions import new game mechanics into the vanilla game. So you get most of the benefits of DLC without even having to invest.

For example, CK2's Rajas of India doubles the map size, lets you play as an Indian ruler, introduces 3 new religions, and more. But if you don't own the expansion, your vanilla game still has the 2X map, Indian rulers, new religious dynamics and such. The only diff. is that you can't play as an Indian ruler in those provinces (though you still interact with them in the form of A.I. characters).

So vanilla CK2 today is wildly different and more matured than the game that launched 5 years ago. It makes it easier for people to dive in for the first time as they get the benefit of 5 years of added content as well as overall polish and balancing.

Hektor

Now i'd really be curios to know just how much denuvo costs. The game's revenue are a measly 40K$ and that does not take valves (or other stores') cut into account.

madjoki

I wanna see the receipts... because if this true and it impacts performance this heavily, Denuvo has no right to exist. Or better yet, publishers have no right to use this on their software, and customers are fucking idiots if they continue supporting this.

Sounds like it's implementation issue. Many Denuvo games have no noticeable performance issues.

Anno

Wow, I haven't thought about SpellForce games in many years. I remember enjoying 1 and 2 even if they were probably bad games.

Kaleinc

Banned
Rime is cracked...

from one of the posts...

"In Rime that ugly creature went out of control - how do you like three fucking hundreds of THOUSANDS calls to "triggers"
during initial game launch and savegame loading? Did you wonder why game loading times are so long - here is the answer :)
In previous games like Sgw3, Nier, Prey there were only about 1000 "triggers" called, so we have x300 here.
Next - 300,000 called "triggers" were just warmup for Denuvo, after 30 minutes of gameplay it became 2 fucking MILLIONS of
called "triggers". Protection now calls about 10-30 triggers every second during actual gameplay, slowing game down.
In previous games like Sgw3, Nier, Prey there were only about 1-2 "triggers" called every several minutes during gameplay, so do the math.
Don't forget that triggers is under VM and heavily obfuscated, which obviously does not improve perfomance"
System requirements:

Pentium 4 (dev build)
Core i7 7th gen (Denuvo)

JakeD

if Redout was going to be in a humble monthly it would be the early unlock right? im thinking about that bundlestars deal but if it unlocked tomorrow with humble i would be a bit cranky...

glad i didn't buy Rime. i was considering it on Switch but i don't really want to support denuvo in any way and didnt think to check the steam page. ill buy the drm free version if/when its released.

Have you ever wanted to role play as Captain Janeway ?
Do you think you are more badass then Jean luc Picard ?
Do you want to play a Redshirt on his last day on the job ?
Are you a huge Ner... uh star trek fan ?

THEN THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527100/Star_Trek_Bridge_Crew/

If I had VR, and I had friends with VR, I'd be all over this. I even added it to my wishlist just in case I happen to win the lotto or anything.

It really makes me want another Bridge Commander game though.

cover.jpg

STO is fun but it's not really the same.

Shantom

if Redout was going to be in a humble monthly it would be the early unlock right? im thinking about that bundlestars deal but if it unlocked tomorrow with humble i would be a bit cranky...

Project Cars wasn't the early unlock, and Dirt Rally had to share the early unlock. I think it's pretty likely it wouldn't be the revealed game.

Just remember there is another Bridge Simulator game out there, it just doesn't have the Star Trek license for sound effects and 2009 movie aesthetics.

Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator

VR not required, but friends and other computers are.

Bridge Crew has the TOS bridge as well. Not sure if it's just there or if it's an unlockable.

I've played Artemis at a convention, it's pretty fun but you need so much equipment and I'm not sure if it has online.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Stormblood is right around the corner!

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm gonna be wandering around Morrowind all month most likely.

Whenever I hear about this game my first thought is always to Bridge Commander. A sequel would be great but I'd be happy if they just put the original on Steam.

I had hoped when that last lot of Star Trek games hit Steam and GOG that we'd eventually get more. The licensing must be a nightmare on them.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just remember there is another Bridge Simulator game out there, it just doesn't have the Star Trek license for sound effects and 2009 movie aesthetics.

Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator

VR not required, but friends and other computers are.

I have played this and it is fucking intense.
Each person has their own screen (we all had laptops using it), and then you have to do all the stuff that a Engineer or Comms or Navigation person would do in response to whatever starship crisis.

It's like Spaceteam, but with controls that make sense instead of random buzzwords, and if you don't work together nothing works. The game is hard as fuck, but really cool if you're into that stuff.

I had hoped when that last lot of Star Trek games hit Steam and GOG that we'd eventually get more. The licensing must be a nightmare on them.

Yeah. Thinking about it I'd love to see a few more. Star Trek Away team especially, I don't think it reviewed well but it was one of the first games I ever put major time into on PC, I'd like to give it another go.

Khilandros

Yay! new month, time to see what I'm looking forward to.

Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girl - June 12

Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni - June 20

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - June 27

Free weekend on Speedrunners.

Which is ace, because I was wanting to check it out and didn't know how populated the servers are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom